Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I genuinely think the funniest moment in nL history was during the Wrestling Revolution 2D story where Slip was doing stamina training and duel screamed YOU WANT ME TO KILL YOU? RUN just out of nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

1glitch0 posted:

3 Randy Ortons. lmfao

Dude has lookee and acted the same for 20+ years

as opposed to the huge character shifts of...Lesnar and Reigns

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

One thing the recent WWE games got rid of that I miss is squash matches. Sometimes it’s fun to have Goldberg beat Drew Gulak in 30 seconds. That and the surprise roll ups were nice too, it was always cool getting a surprise schoolboy pin on someone early in the match just because they missed a charge into the turnbuckle.
This is disappointing to hear - the "power ranking" system in theory allows for a sidelong card heirarchy, with low-statted workers falling easily to higher ones but having the opportunity, on paper, to boost bad stats into viability given enough wins. But I'm not sure that really works in practice, whether dropping a low card guy's stats enough to get squashed doesn't just mean they are simply never winning... In my universe game, I simmed a full year and my TV title ended up captured by a low-80 worker (a hand-tuned Tyler Bate) in a division full of low-90s guys. Maybe a mid worker in a rivalry never gets squashed and you can boost them up that way? Who knows. But it really does get annoying when your Mega Powers-caliber team of main eventers gets so many near falls out of Angelo loving Dawkins.

In any event, even when true blue squash matches were in the game, there seemed to be no active control or trigger for when they happened, so they were as good as not being there at all.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Kvlt! posted:

Hey now, Lesnar became a cowboy and Reigns is now a sexy mafia boss

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Astro7x posted:

You have 4 version of The Undertaker, 3 Triple H's, 12 John Cenas, 3 Randy Orton's, 3 Hulk Hogans, 4 Brock Lesnar, and Roman Reigns. What more do you need? That's enough to have a rumble right there

Does the first randy orton use the overdrive

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

zetamind2000 posted:

Does the first randy orton use the overdrive

IIRC he is the pre-RNN version, so maybe?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Testekill posted:

I genuinely think the funniest moment in nL history was during the Wrestling Revolution 2D story where Slip was doing stamina training and duel screamed YOU WANT ME TO KILL YOU? RUN just out of nowhere.

Duel is responsible for some of the best out of nowhere gags in those WR2D streams like him cutting an Ahmed Johnson promo as a tweet.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

1glitch0 posted:

3 Randy Ortons. lmfao

Dude has lookee and acted the same for 20+ years

3 randy ortons and none of them have his good entrance music

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I simmed a match between Okada, Bret Hart, Deisel, HHH, Ospreay, Omega, Reigns, and Moxley, 8 man elimination falls count anywhere and it was one of the best matches i’ve ever seen.

Okada won it was him and Bret as the final 2.

the final move was a backhand slap that spun bret around into a rainmaker he sold with a flip bump.

pretty good WWE game, best one i’ve played since they became 2k(YEAR)

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Kvlt! posted:

Lesnar with/without dick tattoo and Shield Roman/Tribal Chief Roman are SOMETHING.

Orton has looked exactly the same for 20 years. I think he wore blue tights once maybe.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
take the randy orton challenge, name 3 visually distinct randy ortons

- janitor outfit and nightvision goggles randy
- bald authority in a suit randy
- that white gear / five o'clock shadow combination that made him look like a deflated batista

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

randy orton with this skull tattoo but not that skull tattoo

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

1glitch0 posted:

Lesnar with/without dick tattoo and Shield Roman/Tribal Chief Roman are SOMETHING.

Orton has looked exactly the same for 20 years. I think he wore blue tights once maybe.

Hey now, Randy had less dumb tattoos when he started 20 years ago. Clearly we need debut "dumb upper back tattoo" Orton, "Half sleeve" Orton and finally modern Randy.

One of them probably has the punt as a finish. And yes Randy wore shiny blue tights with yellow bars on them early in his WWE career.

Christ what have I done with the last 20 odd years of my life watching this nonsense and playing these games.....

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
In fairness, one of them is OVW/pre-Legend Killer Orton, which is at least notably distinct. One of the Cenas is the Prototype, after all.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
What about the version of Randy when he was a literal snake who slithered around the ring before they ditched that after a couple weeks because it was stupid?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Bonk posted:

What about the version of Randy when he was a literal snake who slithered around the ring before they ditched that after a couple weeks because it was stupid?

They should have given him the Nightman eyes.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Funny this was just being talked about here. NL Slip is back in Wrestling Revolution.
https://twitch.tv/newlegacyinc

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Regrettable posted:

Funny this was just being talked about here. NL Slip is back in Wrestling Revolution.
https://twitch.tv/newlegacyinc

And Taz apparently killed a man

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

he really wanted that extra Z in his name

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Slip eliminated from a battle royal by Nailz' exploding coffin

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

Slip eliminated from a battle royal by Nailz' exploding coffin

Yup, Nailz eliminated him from his own memorial battle royal.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Maxwell Lord posted:

Was it Maffew by any chance?

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!

Eat My Fuc posted:

pretty good WWE game, best one i’ve played since they became 2k(YEAR)

Just wanted to jump in with my brief experience of 2k23. On Easter we played a few matches with four human players, two of them have played the game a ton (my brother & his son) and then myself/4th person hadn't played at all. After a few minutes figuring out the controls, we had some really fun matches. There were still some bits where the two experienced people would do something out of our wheelhouse but we would quickly pick it up.

The best match was a four way dance 2 out of 3 falls match between Roman Reigns v Randy Orton v Kurt Angle v Stone Cold. The two more experienced players were my nephew as Reigns and my brother as Orton, which worked out great because my nephew was spamming the same few moves and my brother was just looking for any position to hit an RKO. Somehow we all picked up a fall, so it was a mad dash for one of us to try to get the last pin/submission. Had a good span there where we would barely be breaking up falls or taking out the ref to not count.

After that we tried an elimination chamber that was fun, but I think would have worked better if the CPUs weren't low difficulty. The couple of hours elevated the game from waiting for it to drop super low in price to being open to picking it up with a slight discount.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I was thinking about old wrestling games and I remembered that like mission mode that SVR 07 (08?) had where you had to do like 50 little challenges like making 5 people bleed as sandman and the finale was beating Khali as Mickie James and anyway either 2K or Fight Forever should bring those back

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

projecthalaxy posted:

I was thinking about old wrestling games and I remembered that like mission mode that SVR 07 (08?) had where you had to do like 50 little challenges like making 5 people bleed as sandman and the finale was beating Khali as Mickie James and anyway either 2K or Fight Forever should bring those back

Yeah this kind of stuff works on me. Adding a bunch of little challenges to the THPS 1+2 remake gave the games a whole new life.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I guess the like challenges/missions built into MyRise/Showcase are the natural descendants of those but I liked having just the little microgames by themselves Smash Melee mission mode style.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

projecthalaxy posted:

That final challenge was impossible! I did everything I could. I think even changed Khali’s stats to all 1 and still couldn’t beat it.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
The trick was to change Mickie's moveset and take out all the lifting moves, replace them with stuff that would hit him, and rely on strikes that didn't lock her in the 'you can't hit me' animation with Khali. IIRC, you could even lock Khali in his part of the animation while you were free to move and basically exploit him down. There was a legsweep that did this pretty well I think.

You could probably do it with Mickie's default moveset, but you'd be spamming the few moves she has that do work. You could also just nail the timing of reversals since SVR07 had reversal damage and wear him down with those.

I miss intergender matches in the games. It's such a stupid restriction, especially since the women have comparable stats to the men now. Back in the day, it could feed into a weird David vs. Goliath match against an inexperienced friend. They pick Austin and you beat them with a 60 OVR Stacy Kiebler who somehow hair pull throws a bald man.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Okay I finally took the plunge on 2k23 and while I've only played a couple of matches, it does seem to play better. You do have more defensive options and they streamlined the fiddly bullshit. The special meter being separate from Finishers and Stamina (and even refilling faster when you're low) is also good. Took me a little while to get the combo timing down.

Like I may actually have fun messing around in Universe mode and MyRise this time around. (I can tell MyFaction is worth avoiding and it seems like MyGM is best for multiplayer.) This is also the smoothest it's run in a while, load times are actually reasonable and I'm on PS4.

It is weird that I don't recognize about 50-60% of the roster now since I haven't followed WWE in a few years.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Maxwell Lord posted:

It is weird that I don't recognize about 50-60% of the roster now since I haven't followed WWE in a few years.

Same, and especially for nxt wrestlers. I watch Smackdown maybe 1-2 times per year and don’t even get Sportsnet anymore so no Raw or nxt for me.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I mean isn't various johns cena 50-60% of the roster :v:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Despite the roughly 3000 people on the roster, there's no Candice Lerae for some reason. (I was gonna do Becky and Seth vs her and Johnny)

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Has anyone played 2K23 MyRise? Do you still have the ability to jump between shows as you like, do dumb podcast based missions, and so forth? From the little I've seen it looks like its kinda back to the linear "Buzz" style experience rather than the sandboxy version of last game, which I preferred.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
After decades of fighting with Universe mode, I'm almost about to buy 2k23 just to put together ridiculous backstage segments. That I can actually control! Someone send help :byodood:

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Dishwasher posted:

After decades of fighting with Universe mode, I'm almost about to buy 2k23 just to put together ridiculous backstage segments. That I can actually control! Someone send help :byodood:

do it the guilt free way...yo ho yo ho

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

projecthalaxy posted:

Has anyone played 2K23 MyRise? Do you still have the ability to jump between shows as you like, do dumb podcast based missions, and so forth? From the little I've seen it looks like its kinda back to the linear "Buzz" style experience rather than the sandboxy version of last game, which I preferred.

There is apparently an entire part of the game where you get fired for shooting on Shawn Michaels and have to work the British indies and a totally-not-G1. The thread is amazing

https://twitter.com/bossmoz/status/1641399515877105664?s=46&t=_akPFYiqAqKbxYd3RPf4Jg

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
An early part of one campaign has you complaining to Shawn about how you have to use this new name instead of the one you wrestled under and he explains that's how WWE does things.

Later he advises you "never sneeze around the boss."

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

There is apparently an entire part of the game where you get fired for shooting on Shawn Michaels and have to work the British indies and a totally-not-G1. The thread is amazing

https://twitter.com/bossmoz/status/1641399515877105664?s=46&t=_akPFYiqAqKbxYd3RPf4Jg

lol

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

projecthalaxy posted:

I've played a decent chunk of the women's story and a little of the men's story.

Women's story is hilarious, your character is the neice of a HOF women's wrestler who has beef with Molly Holly.

Guess who basically handles the majority of your backstage authority stuff? Molly Holly.

The debut match you get screwed over, then you work your way towards getting the women's tag titles.

Side missions have included going to the UK and winning a tournament after having to beat up some UK CAW whose spot you take and Zelina Vega whose pissed about you taking the local girls spot.

Gigi Dolan puppet masters you into fighting like 3 different people via fake DMs, and my favorite is Sami Zayn wants to have a fake relationship with you on screen so he accompanies you to the ring once, everyone starts asking questions about the pairing, then Liv Morgan jumps you and reveals she wants to be part of this dumb gimmick.

It's called "Sammi on a pole" but as he says when you have a match against Liv for his affection, management wouldn't let him be on a pole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Gaz-L posted:

2K23 has honestly taken a few leads from the fighting game genre. Breakers, and some escape/recovery moves that work more like meter burns, with the signature moves being like a full super meter.
That does sound promising, I've been thinking wrestling games need some sort of resource management for reversals. You shouldn't be able to just punish everything once you get the rhythm down. Some combination of a meter and Fire Pro's "behind-the-scenes" math to determine whether a reversal succeeds or fails would be ideal IMO.