Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I, uh, may have a developing problem.

Now to wait on my inks to come in...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Doctor Hospital posted:

This is a support group that will cheer on your habits, so please go on buying pens, you have our approval.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Doctor Hospital posted:

Just keep buying pens. Keep digging that hole and one day you'll definitely reach the other side.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Screw your pens together and make a bridge.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

I feel better with twenty pens than when I did with three, so clearly buying more is the perennial right choice.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Doctor Hospital posted:

You certainly do. TWSBI pens have a habit of spraying boiling acid at the head/groin of their users at random intervals. I know because it happened to a friend of a friend of mine *nods*

Also I bought another Delta but it's being shipped regular mail from Italy so I look forward to receiving it in October sometime.

madmatt112 posted:

I feel better with twenty pens than when I did with three, so clearly buying more is the perennial right choice.

I have 80 Deltas and I've never felt better.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Buying enough Kon-peki ink that I can bath in it.

I MUST BE PURE.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Doctor Hospital posted:

:nice:

Is that a 580?

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Yeah, Diamond 580ALR in Prussian Blue with a 1.1mm Stub nib. I like the way it looks and feels in my hand, but I'm not gonna ink it up in the carbon black I already have. I'm waiting on some diamine inks (Oxblood, Majestic Blue, Green-Black) to show up before I use it.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
The TWSBI 1.1 is just great. I love using it and it makes my very normal handwriting look pretty good. It writes really well too

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

The only Eco my local shop had in stock had a 1.1mm nib, so I decided to try it out. I love writing with that thing.

Karl Hungus
Sep 28, 2001
Mine dispatcher says there's something wrong mitt deine kable.
Nap Ghost
I've avoided posting in this thread because I have a problem. I'm addicted to what I consider pens in the mid-price range ($200-$1200). My favorite pens are Graf von Faber-Castell, Cross, and recently Visconti. Let me know if you want more detail or images about a given pen. Obviously I have a lot more inexpensive pens in boxes but the "expensive" ones are what I concentrate on at the moment.

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011

Doctor Hospital posted:

Yeah, Diamond 580ALR in Prussian Blue with a 1.1mm Stub nib. I like the way it looks and feels in my hand, but I'm not gonna ink it up in the carbon black I already have. I'm waiting on some diamine inks (Oxblood, Majestic Blue, Green-Black) to show up before I use it.

I have one inked with Birmingham Pen Company Ice Rink and it’s so great to write with.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Is that a Visconti there at the bottom? It looks similar to the Homo Sapiens Dark Age that I dearly want but not quite exactly the same.

e: Wow, the Dark Crystal model is a really beautiful piece.

But my wallet would scream in agony if I tried to buy one.

Doctor Hospital fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 9, 2023

Karl Hungus
Sep 28, 2001
Nap Ghost
It is the Visconti Dark Crystal. https://www.visconti.it/en/pens/homo-sapiens-dark-crystal-collection/ It is amazing and is my current daily pen.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

crying myself to sleep because you said the mid range is $200 - 1200. not because you're wrong but because it's true

Karl Hungus
Sep 28, 2001
Nap Ghost
and because the ink is in the window it is ....

Jacques Herbin 1798 Amethyste de l'Oural

Karl Hungus
Sep 28, 2001
Nap Ghost

Sankis posted:

crying myself to sleep because you said the mid range is $200 - 1200. not because you're wrong but because it's true

I know. Sorry. What is interesting is that you can look into pens and pick what warrants investing in high-end items. I've tried many Mont Blanc pens and I think they are all poo poo. I like heavy pens. More questions are appreciated.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Karl Hungus posted:

I've avoided posting in this thread because I have a problem. I'm addicted to what I consider pens in the mid-price range ($200-$1200).

Me whispering to my drawer full of cheap rear end twsbi eco, pilot metropolitan, lamy safari and dollar store chinese pens: "you're dirt cheap but you're mine and you're perfect as you are"

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

really, the biggest problem I have with cheap pens is that they dry out too fast

otherwise they aren't that bad

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

sb hermit posted:

Me whispering to my drawer full of cheap rear end twsbi eco, pilot metropolitan, lamy safari and dollar store chinese pens: "you're dirt cheap but you're mine and you're perfect as you are"

To be honest, I'm considering eyedropper-ing a platinum preppy and using it as an ink tester or something. Out of curiosity I tried my green one on some trash copy paper and it behaved well enough with the stock green ink.

Expensive pens are cool but there's also a place for the cheapo ones, too.

I'm just trying to talk myself out of the visconti for now

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

What was the name of the Pilot Vanishing Point clone again? And is it as convenient as a retractable ballpoint pen? By that I mean does it start with no problem and doesn't leak?

If I got one, it would spend most of its time on a desk. I've only got Pilot Metros but I like how they feel. I'm just drawn to the idea of a retractable because I get distracted while writing and clicking to close or open the pen is nicer for that than capping and uncapping.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

sb hermit posted:

really, the biggest problem I have with cheap pens is that they dry out too fast

otherwise they aren't that bad

I have a Kaweco perkeo that I only use like - once or twice a week and it is never dried out when I go back to it. Thing is magical.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009

Mercury Hat posted:

What was the name of the Pilot Vanishing Point clone again? And is it as convenient as a retractable ballpoint pen? By that I mean does it start with no problem and doesn't leak?

If I got one, it would spend most of its time on a desk. I've only got Pilot Metros but I like how they feel. I'm just drawn to the idea of a retractable because I get distracted while writing and clicking to close or open the pen is nicer for that than capping and uncapping.

Tbh just get a real VP. They’re super reliable and nibs can be swapped out if you’re feeling like a change. Even the cheaper steel ones are great.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Karl Hungus posted:

I've avoided posting in this thread because I have a problem. I'm addicted to what I consider pens in the mid-price range ($200-$1200). My favorite pens are Graf von Faber-Castell, Cross, and recently Visconti. Let me know if you want more detail or images about a given pen. Obviously I have a lot more inexpensive pens in boxes but the "expensive" ones are what I concentrate on at the moment.

How did you gravitate toward those brands? I have also moved toward a similar price range of pens but have focused on Pilot, Taccia, and Franklin-Christoph. I’ve been curious about Visconti for their own bodies but have heard the actual nibs and feeds are so-so, which I would consider unacceptable in that price range. Which Visconti do you like most?

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011

Mercury Hat posted:

Majohn A1 is the metal version, A2 is the new resin version. I have a metal one, I keep it in a case for most of the day. Never have a problem with hard starts or leaking, but I’ve only put one converter of ink through it so far. It’s similar enough to a VP’s grip, so it’s not a bad idea to try it out at $30ish before going all in on a VP ($80-$180 depending on nib).

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Doctor Hospital posted:

Diamine Oxblood is a great ink, can't speak for the others but next time you buy ink, check out the Pilot iroshizuku line...Momiji, yama budo and syo-ro is my current daily setup.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Kon-peki is such a beautiful sky blue and you can never go wrong with it.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Keetron posted:

Diamine Oxblood is a great ink, can't speak for the others but next time you buy ink, check out the Pilot iroshizuku line...Momiji, yama budo and syo-ro is my current daily setup.

Kon-peki, Ku-jaku, and Shin-Ryoku were on my shortlist, but yama budo is pretty striking, and Syo-ro is beautiful.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

teraflame posted:

Tbh just get a real VP. They’re super reliable and nibs can be swapped out if you’re feeling like a change. Even the cheaper steel ones are great.

I have both, the VP doesn't get used. The clipless version of the A1 works way better for me.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

Karl Hungus posted:

Do you see yourself spending more than that range on any particular pen in the future? I can't really fathom spending significantly more than 1200 USD, not because I can't afford it, but because I can't think of any more pens I want.

In roughly that neighborhood I've got a 1990s Pilot Urushi #50 (ie a Namiki Emperor but solid color instead of maki-e), a 1970s Pilot signed maki-e double crane Elite, and a 1950s celluloid Montblanc 146. These are obviously way into the diminishing returns zone for writing experience but I'd say everything else has hit diminishing returns too. Anything nicer seems to me too fancy to use regularly (say an actual maki-e Emperor) or too rare and delicate (a 1950s silver ring 149 or some other vintage treasure).

And so it came to pass that after filling a 100-slot pen chest (and accumulating numerous biscuit tins of cheaper pens), I really seem to have wrapped up the buying phase of the hobby. Thankfully I realized some time ago that the only ink anyone needs is Waterman Serenity Blue so I'm done in that department too. Could it be that I now have to actually write to entertain myself?!

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember
I got rid of my TWSBI 580s years ago because they were always leaking ink on my fingers. People love them, but both the ones I had were trap pens. Do y'all not have this problem?

Doctor Hospital posted:

I would also enjoy this.

I've heard that ink can mold under bad conditions. I live in a pretty hot, humid area, so is that a more serious risk for me, or is it only if inks are kept in, like, really bad conditions?

Have some more anecdote: in ten years of using pens I've never had an ink mold. I don't treat them very special at all other than the respect they demand as a substance designed to stain things.

grack posted:

I have both, the VP doesn't get used. The clipless version of the A1 works way better for me.

Can you say more about this? I own three VPs and the only problems I've ever had with them is they dry out faster than capped pens (this is only a problem when I don't write with one for a few weeks). It seems like even if the pen was executed perfectly, its got a steel nib instead of gold so I'd expect it to write slightly worse. Not to go into whether the difference is worth 120 bucks since you already own both.

Dad Hominem posted:

Could it be that I now have to actually write to entertain myself?!

nah.

Jaytan fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 10, 2023

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Jaytan posted:

I got rid of my TWSBI 580s years ago because they were always leaking ink on my fingers. People love them, but both the ones I had were trap pens. Do y'all not have this problem?

I have a 580 and I only get ink on my fingers when I'm cleaning it.

I don't really hand out my pens unless someone wants to try it because no matter what they use, they get ink on their fingers.

quote:

Have some more anecdote: in ten years of using pens I've never had an ink mold. I don't treat them very special at all other than the respect they demand as a substance designed to stain things.

:same:

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
I have a ton of 580s (every ALR with the ridged grip, plus the iris) and no issues with any of them. One sees daily use as a pen for shimmer inks that I can take all the way apart for thorough cleaning. From what I’ve heard, it’s not everyone’s experience, but for me, TWSBI is the most reliable sub-$100 pen brand. But then, I seem to attract cursed Pilots, so YMMV.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

Silly question, but I have a lot of cheap pens and a lot of cheap inks that bring me a lot of joy, but some of the inks are *very* wet, which makes them hard to use for journaling/note taking which is my main use case. Do any of y'all use blotters? Have a favored blotter brand/design?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The only problem I'm having with my 580 is that it's really hard to unscrew the nib to change it. Any ideas on how to do this without breaking it when it's giving me a hard time?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Doctor Hospital posted:

Kon-peki, Ku-jaku, and Shin-Ryoku were on my shortlist, but yama budo is pretty striking, and Syo-ro is beautiful.

In the end, you will want all of these and that would be the right thing to do. I prefer aso-gao over kon-peki but both have their place in the world. Basically I would recommend to get small bottles for the inks you will likely not use that much and get big bottles for your dailies.

Chernobyl Princess posted:

Silly question, but I have a lot of cheap pens and a lot of cheap inks that bring me a lot of joy, but some of the inks are *very* wet, which makes them hard to use for journaling/note taking which is my main use case. Do any of y'all use blotters? Have a favored blotter brand/design?

Wet inks are good, they allow for wonderful shading. With a Galen Leather 400 page tomoe river notebook came a little piece of what seems to be leather and I use that as a blotter, it works well but there is of course no shading afterwards.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
I use some vintage blotters I got on ebay. Some cheesecake ones from local businesses in my hometown.

Edit: this is the one I have at hand right now.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 10, 2023

Karl Hungus
Sep 28, 2001
Nap Ghost

Muir posted:

How did you gravitate toward those brands? I have also moved toward a similar price range of pens but have focused on Pilot, Taccia, and Franklin-Christoph. I’ve been curious about Visconti for their own bodies but have heard the actual nibs and feeds are so-so, which I would consider unacceptable in that price range. Which Visconti do you like most?

I started with a Cross Townsend rollerball pen in high school and still have it 25 years later. I like the various themed Cross pens in that style. They've had a number of Star Wars and ecological themed pens.

My first "expensive" pen was a Graf von Faber-Castell classic ebony pen. I bought it because I used to go to an art supply store and they carried a full line of Faber-Castell products. They had a number of other manufacturer's pens but I like the weight of that pen line without posting the cap. I have a few in different types of wood / metal and they consistently work great with cartridges.

I just recently bought 2 Visconti. First I got the Homo Sapiens Dark Crystal. I tried the original Homo Sapiens Bronze Age pen in a store years ago and wasn't impressed. I tried the Dark Crystal in a store recently and loved the weight and feel. I ordered one online and the nib was garbage. I sent it into their repair service and it now is the smoothest writing pen I own. I then ordered an Homo Sapiens Arizona Sunset because I like the color scheme and design. It wrote great out of the box with no issues. The double chamber design does take some getting used to and I consistently make a mess refilling them. Gloves are definitely needed.

https://www.visconti.it/en/homo-sapiens-arizona-sunset-fountain-pen/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Hungus
Sep 28, 2001
Nap Ghost

Dad Hominem posted:

Do you see yourself spending more than that range on any particular pen in the future? I can't really fathom spending significantly more than 1200 USD, not because I can't afford it, but because I can't think of any more pens I want.

In roughly that neighborhood I've got a 1990s Pilot Urushi #50 (ie a Namiki Emperor but solid color instead of maki-e), a 1970s Pilot signed maki-e double crane Elite, and a 1950s celluloid Montblanc 146. These are obviously way into the diminishing returns zone for writing experience but I'd say everything else has hit diminishing returns too. Anything nicer seems to me too fancy to use regularly (say an actual maki-e Emperor) or too rare and delicate (a 1950s silver ring 149 or some other vintage treasure).

And so it came to pass that after filling a 100-slot pen chest (and accumulating numerous biscuit tins of cheaper pens), I really seem to have wrapped up the buying phase of the hobby. Thankfully I realized some time ago that the only ink anyone needs is Waterman Serenity Blue so I'm done in that department too. Could it be that I now have to actually write to entertain myself?!

I can't see spending anything more than what the Homo Sapiens cost ~$1200. Even that is pushing my limit. It will have to really grab my attention to get me to spend that in the future.

I have a Cross Darth Vader pen that they originally tried to sell for something like $1000. I bought it directly on the cross website when they put it on sale for 80% off.