Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Celexi posted:

Americans love long drives for vacations even if they spend more on that drive than a loving plane ticket or train ticket so they can say " we saw the way there".
cars are bad but that's just not true for maybe more than >1 person. planes are expensive these days and 2 ppl in a car is still cheaper

the route 66 symbolic iconography of "hitting the open road" is also a touchstone in americana culture. it's akin to eating turkey and candied yams on thanksgiving. theres 60+ years of cultural propaganda about "freedom of the open road" and associated pop culture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Both EVs and autonomous cars fail to solve long term issues in pretty much the exact same way: they throw more cars at the problem when we should have fewer cars on the road and invest in clean (or as clean as possible) public transportation. For one (self driving cars) it's a wet dream for techbro douchebags who have never met a problem they didn't think could be solved with The Algorithm. For the other (EVs) it's a solution that makes well-to-do liberals feel good about themselves.

Hmm yes. Maybe we could even make some sort of shared transport option, where everyone pays a token amount of money for just the rides they actually use or want.

Some sort of multi seat vehicle, lets say a capacity of 30-50, going around on a commonly agreed upon road route to maximise convenience to as many people as possible who can then plan their trips.

Sadly such a vehicle is far beyond our current technology.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

Are either of these pittsburgh

Nope Pittsburgh is all hills there’s no grid at all cause that would be very dumb

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Hootington posted:

If you live in a big city you have no reason to travel.

No peasant should be allowed to travel from their master's mud fields or accompanying worker class domiciles without permission.

Punishment 20 lashes in the village square and a day in the stocks.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

War and Pieces posted:

I feel like a spoiled brat at $55

50k is what I'd consider to be the minimum "you can relax, a little", but that value changes with inflation and politics. I used to make 32-37k and I did it,though it wasn't pleasant. I know people right now trying to get by on 12k a year. It's hideous. Winging about earning 3 times the median always gets my hackles up. Obviously 100k is also getting eroded away by inflation and cost of living, same as anybody, but there's room to take a financial hit someone earning 20k can't take.

anonumos has issued a correction as of 06:32 on Apr 9, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Celexi posted:

Americans love long drives for vacations even if they spend more on that drive than a loving plane ticket or train ticket so they can say " we saw the way there".

Australians too.

Though doesn't help that buses are often even worse cases of minimum service for maximum cost. I have no idea what they do to make Stateliner buses stink like they do. It's actually better at the end of the day after a packed ride when it smells of human odor rather than whatever the gently caress it does before!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Smythe posted:

the golf cart, my friends... the golf cart awaits. for those who cant take the bus or ride a bike, for those who live just a little too far, for those where the rails have not yet been laid, the golf car shall be their chariot.

Yeah, at my Grandma's place down in Arizona they're normal transportation.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

RadiRoot posted:

lol, lmao

also i have to save 60% of my income? AHAHAHAHHAHHAAAAAA

Curveballs = inheritances

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

anonumos posted:

50k is what I'd consider to be the minimum "you can relax, a little", but that value changes with inflation and politics. I used to make 32-37k and I did it,though it wasn't pleasant. I know people right now trying to get by on 12k a year. It's hideous. Winging about earning 3 times the median always gets my hackles up. Obviously 100k is also getting eroded away by inflation and cost of living, same as anybody, but there's room to take a financial hit someone earning 20k can't take.

as someone who had a pretty spontaneous amount of income growth over the past few years (portland and nj, similar costs of living)
30k - lived with a roommate or parents. scraped by, barely. before this i lived off food stamps with my dad in literal poverty.
50k - lived solo. barely squeezed by in all respects, but i had no debt and was saving maybe a hundred or two a month. lifestyle was not lavish in the slightest. this was just basic expenses and groceries. almost never ate out. i was living off this salary for 7 years and my bank account never noticeably appreciated or depreciated. given i was in semi hcol areas, this felt like a pretty safe/fair wage for someone in my late 20s. wasnt great, but i wasnt worried about anything besides sudden medical debt. fyi, i created doomsday ec around here.
70k - in portland, i was saving money finally. 401k. occasionally did nice things. still tracked my expenses, but since i budgeted like a poor person, i never had to actively budget anymore unless i made a big purchase like a plane ticket.
100k - (around covid hitting). basically stopped giving a poo poo about food prices, maintained a spartan lifestyle otherwise. since i wasnt doing anything outlandish besides takeout, my brain literally just stopped processing costs. it would take something like buying a new gaming rig or taking a vacation to "lose" money, and that was for like maybe a single paycheck. i would have to check my bank account history to even notice where my money was going rather than actively estimating it in in my head. this was the salary that made me realize how absolutely batshit rich people were and that money is a literal drug. at this point i actually cant actively process poverty anymore even though i lived in it from the age of 13-22. i straight up cannot comprehend how a person with a median salary thinks or acts to the current climate, but i can do enough math to know its loving miserable.

all income increases past 100k have done basically nothing but end up as excess savings, and even with inflation its very easy to not look at food prices. when i do i am utterly shocked and with my 50k salary i would have straight up been underwater by now. its fun seeing the number go up, but its absolutely meaningless except to buy status symbols, which i have zero interest in.

feel free to guillotine me, but its absolutely fascinating how money fucks up your brain. i vividly remember finding the cheapest meat in bulk at the cheapest supermarket (almost always pork shoulder. ate a lot of pork shoulder chili... yes, with beans.) so i could pay for all of my food for the month entirely through food stamps, and having to learn how to cook based entirely on that.

at this point i would need to get fired to have to start looking at price tags again. like, getting fired would absolutely gently caress up my life in the sense that i would need to change my lifestyle, but id survive.

money is insane, and we should go back to the barter system. or do communism. i just want to not worry about losing my garbage healthcare.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Horseshoe theory posted:

"The client is always right, especially when it involves violated Federal, State and Local and International laws!"

wish somebody would make a Lionel hutz emoji here

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

anime was right posted:

as someone who had a pretty spontaneous amount of income growth over the past few years (portland and nj, similar costs of living)
30k - lived with a roommate or parents. scraped by, barely. before this i lived off food stamps with my dad in literal poverty.
50k - lived solo. barely squeezed by in all respects, but i had no debt and was saving maybe a hundred or two a month. lifestyle was not lavish in the slightest. this was just basic expenses and groceries. almost never ate out. i was living off this salary for 7 years and my bank account never noticeably appreciated or depreciated. given i was in semi hcol areas, this felt like a pretty safe/fair wage for someone in my late 20s. wasnt great, but i wasnt worried about anything besides sudden medical debt. fyi, i created doomsday ec around here.
70k - in portland, i was saving money finally. 401k. occasionally did nice things. still tracked my expenses, but since i budgeted like a poor person, i never had to actively budget anymore unless i made a big purchase like a plane ticket.
100k - (around covid hitting). basically stopped giving a poo poo about food prices, maintained a spartan lifestyle otherwise. since i wasnt doing anything outlandish besides takeout, my brain literally just stopped processing costs. it would take something like buying a new gaming rig or taking a vacation to "lose" money, and that was for like maybe a single paycheck. i would have to check my bank account history to even notice where my money was going rather than actively estimating it in in my head. this was the salary that made me realize how absolutely batshit rich people were and that money is a literal drug. at this point i actually cant actively process poverty anymore even though i lived in it from the age of 13-22. i straight up cannot comprehend how a person with a median salary thinks or acts to the current climate, but i can do enough math to know its loving miserable.

all income increases past 100k have done basically nothing but end up as excess savings, and even with inflation its very easy to not look at food prices. when i do i am utterly shocked and with my 50k salary i would have straight up been underwater by now. its fun seeing the number go up, but its absolutely meaningless except to buy status symbols, which i have zero interest in.

feel free to guillotine me, but its absolutely fascinating how money fucks up your brain. i vividly remember finding the cheapest meat in bulk at the cheapest supermarket (almost always pork shoulder. ate a lot of pork shoulder chili... yes, with beans.) so i could pay for all of my food for the month entirely through food stamps, and having to learn how to cook based entirely on that.

at this point i would need to get fired to have to start looking at price tags again. like, getting fired would absolutely gently caress up my life in the sense that i would need to change my lifestyle, but id survive.

money is insane, and we should go back to the barter system. or do communism. i just want to not worry about losing my garbage healthcare.

My experience/ thoughts were very similar. Grew up in poverty, no inherited wealth. Went to college after public school only because of scholarships then went to grad school barely scraping by then postdoc which paid ok but i lived in a very high CoL area so it was a wash. Current job after that ive held for 7 yrs and its triple the postdoc one and yeah money is like… just a thing now and doesnt hover over every aspect of my life.

I still do all my own groceries and cooking, shop the sales etc. Partly to keep saving, part habit and partly to eat healthier though.

e: the hosed up thing is even though im not wealthy but am saving a bit for retirement finally my brain is already circling around the pattern of “ok what am i going to spend money on next?” and its taken some conscious effort to push back and tell myself to stop that. Definitely a drug.

That Works has issued a correction as of 11:28 on Apr 9, 2023

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

anime was right posted:

:nsa:

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

That Works posted:

e: the hosed up thing is even though im not wealthy but am saving a bit for retirement finally my brain is already circling around the pattern of “ok what am i going to spend money on next?” and its taken some conscious effort to push back and tell myself to stop that. Definitely a drug.

Get one of those babies I hear people talking about. It'll fix that problem right up for you.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

anime was right posted:

feel free to guillotine me, but its absolutely fascinating how money fucks up your brain.

I feel like the same also applies to an order of magnitude in the opposite direction too.

I micromanage every single cent I ever spend, actively fall into a borderline self harm loop every time I have to ask for financial assistance, and cut out just about everything I don't actively need to just exist. And even then it still eats at the brain that something more has to go.

Homelessness and joblessness have hosed my brain over in such a horrible way that I haven't even been close to coming to terms with everything even with years of therapy through medicaid and poo poo. Even before getting into the existential looming threat that not having worked in so long means you're literally unhireable.

It's great how we've got a system that will just throw you down into a pit to die with no recourse.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Congrats on the money but yeah you're being sent to work in a meat factory for pennies as penance

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah even Chinese oil imports have been increasing along with the developing world, I actually don’t think the Russians and Saudis are sweating it tbh.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Having kids is probably the difference for normies complaining about living on a six figure income

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

shrike82 posted:

Having kids is probably the difference for normies complaining about living on a six figure income

It is an interesting country when having kids is either for the very rich or very poor.

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

Ardennes posted:

It is an interesting country when having kids is either for the very rich or very poor.

The same thing happened in Victorian England during the twilight of the British empire, and we all know they've established an enduring and lasting legacy that lasts until this day.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

The irony is the US is still better placed than places like China when it comes to demographics - people know about the abysmal TFR numbers in China/East Asia but the number that stood out to me is the median age in China has passed the US

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

what's ironic about that shrike?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Paradoxish posted:

We had a similar situation near the end of last year. We knew we wouldn't make it, but it was the only car they had and we let the counter person lie to us about range so we could call Hertz two-thirds of the way there and complain enough to get them to let us drop the car off at a different location and upgrade for free.

Miserable car, miserable driving experience.

I wonder if Tesla accounted for the brand damage that being the cheapest, shittiest car at a rental counter that's useless for about half of rental car usage would cause.

When I'm renting a car, it's usually because I've got some serious driving to do at whatever destination.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1644883075145547777?s=20

:lol:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Dave Ramsey voice: sell it immediately.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
oh you thought rich people could face consequences for their financial decisions? gently caress u

https://twitter.com/JimChuong/status/1644897610879082499

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Mola Yam posted:

oh you thought rich people could face consequences for their financial decisions? gently caress u

https://twitter.com/JimChuong/status/1644897610879082499

now I’m no number expert here but going from 8500/mo to 10.5k/mo seems like the wrong direction to go

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

8.5 mortgage to a 10.5 rent at that lol

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
pretty sure that means they found someone even stupider than them to pay $10,500 a month to live in their house for 8 months which would be an executive for some other company that needs to stay in that area to shift paradigms easier

This means they can stay with the friends they mentioned in the first post, pay their overpriced mortgage and profit a little at the same time but 8 months is probably insignificant to a 1,500,000$ homes mortgage they just recently acquired

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
maybe that jobless META guy should have instead invested his $1.5M in metaverse property instead of a dumb house

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Red Baron posted:

now I’m no number expert here but going from 8500/mo to 10.5k/mo seems like the wrong direction to go

they’re the landlord

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

lumpentroll posted:

they’re the landlord

ah that makes sense then.

still, becoming a landlord, ew.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Red Baron posted:

ah that makes sense then.

still, becoming a landlord, ew.

They already worked for Meta as a staff engineer, which id argue is WAY worse.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

what’s really funny to me is that in my brain, a 1.5 million dollar house that rents for 10k a month conjures imagery of a 5k sqft house approaching mansion status, nicely appointed, in a good area, maybe a cheeky sauna or an modern pool area. in reality, it’s probably a 1400sqft regular rear end 3/2 house.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I feel like the same also applies to an order of magnitude in the opposite direction too.

I micromanage every single cent I ever spend, actively fall into a borderline self harm loop every time I have to ask for financial assistance, and cut out just about everything I don't actively need to just exist. And even then it still eats at the brain that something more has to go.

Homelessness and joblessness have hosed my brain over in such a horrible way that I haven't even been close to coming to terms with everything even with years of therapy through medicaid and poo poo. Even before getting into the existential looming threat that not having worked in so long means you're literally unhireable.

It's great how we've got a system that will just throw you down into a pit to die with no recourse.

yeah ironically it’s way easier for rich ppl mentally to take free healthcare etc.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Rectal Death Adept posted:

pretty sure that means they found someone even stupider than them to pay $10,500 a month to live in their house for 8 months which would be an executive for some other company that needs to stay in that area to shift paradigms easier

This means they can stay with the friends they mentioned in the first post, pay their overpriced mortgage and profit a little at the same time but 8 months is probably insignificant to a 1,500,000$ homes mortgage they just recently acquired

I hope the renter follows Elon's example and stops paying rent on their office.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Preaching to the choir here but nobody should have to process grocery costs constantly and nobody has to feel bad when they're earning enough that they're beyond that. That so many of us grew up worrying about feeding ourselves is a huge problem. All within reason and not accounting for like an endless supply of prime ribeye, but the single biggest benefit of having a well-paying job is not having to pay attention to every grocery store flyer, not having to count costs as I'm putting everything in my cart, not having certain fruits like berries be completely off limits because they're too expensive per calorie, being able to eat fish besides the most poisoned tilapia, etc. I still have a lot of habits like buying meat on sale and freezing it, but when I hit the income that I could just put what I wanted in my cart, my stress just plummeted. Everyone should have that for food, housing, and health care.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE has issued a correction as of 15:18 on Apr 9, 2023

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Giant Metal Robot posted:

Get one of those babies I hear people talking about. It'll fix that problem right up for you.

Hahah yeah literally the only reason we are actually no longer struggling and living in constant daily anxiety about what random event will send us teetering into homlessness is because once we got slightly better jobs we both immediately decided kids were an absolute never because otherwise we'd just be living on that razors edge for another 20 years.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Granted, I would also argue that providing decent universal health care, affordable food, and housing is actually quite doable and you don’t even need a socialist government to do it. It is just incapable with the mindset of the American elite.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

it’s incapable with the mindset of the american proletariat; these things aren’t given to us by the good graces of the people in charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Xaris posted:

cars are bad but that's just not true for maybe more than >1 person. planes are expensive these days and 2 ppl in a car is still cheaper

the route 66 symbolic iconography of "hitting the open road" is also a touchstone in americana culture. it's akin to eating turkey and candied yams on thanksgiving. theres 60+ years of cultural propaganda about "freedom of the open road" and associated pop culture

whats nuts is that era lasted for what, 15 years at most? between the time when people actually had time to travel the open roads (by not dying in the depression or war) and the roads closing off and small towns dying due to the interstates

we had 70+ years of people traveling everywhere by train wiped away

in the end gently caress jack keorauc and his dumb book i wish they did publish it in scroll form so i could use it as toilet paper