Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I was introduced to battle network through the anime and when I finally got to the games I was very disappointed to find out that cross-fusion was anime only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I was introduced to battle network through the anime and when I finally got to the games I was very disappointed to find out that cross-fusion was anime only.

It might have been the inspiration for Starforce though (Wave Changing seems to follow a similar principle)

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

chumbler posted:

Thinking about how the BN anime had a character named Slur. Really says a lot about the internet when you think about it.

For as bad things got with the anime, I'd never swap Slur getting their smug xeno-supremisist teeth kicked in by Bass and, having been told to deal with it, said they'd rather die and Bass obliged.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

For as bad things got with the anime, I'd never swap Slur getting their smug xeno-supremisist teeth kicked in by Bass and, having been told to deal with it, said they'd rather die and Bass obliged.

Kind of a pity that was also Bass’ final appearance in the anime but it was a very satisfying scene regardless

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-aiWbhigXg

This fangame looks neat.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Larryb posted:

Kind of a pity that was also Bass’ final appearance in the anime but it was a very satisfying scene regardless

Oh the cartoon had long gone off the game's already bonkers rails by that point (to say nothing of how nonexistent the budget had gotten) so that being the case is something of a mercy.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I don't know where this fits in the anime's production timeline, and it's a movie so doesn't really count, but the scene of fused Megaman and Bass just wrecking Nebula Grey is still cool.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

Oh the cartoon had long gone off the game's already bonkers rails by that point (to say nothing of how nonexistent the budget had gotten) so that being the case is something of a mercy.

Stream alone probably killed a decent chunk of said budget (especially since they did a movie in the middle of it)

Also out of curiosity, was there a particular reason why the show suddenly had to share a timeslot with an Ape Escape anime by the end of its run instead of just having the latter air at a different time?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

chumbler posted:

I don't know where this fits in the anime's production timeline, and it's a movie so doesn't really count, but the scene of fused Megaman and Bass just wrecking Nebula Grey is still cool.

Actually the movie is directly canon to the third season Stream and plays a role later on in said series

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
Apparently a decompilation project started on mega man legends and I have High Hopes

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

endocriminologist posted:

Apparently a decompilation project started on mega man legends and I have High Hopes

:getin:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Larryb posted:

Stream alone probably killed a decent chunk of said budget (especially since they did a movie in the middle of it)

Also out of curiosity, was there a particular reason why the show suddenly had to share a timeslot with an Ape Escape anime by the end of its run instead of just having the latter air at a different time?

They didn't have the money to make 22 minutes of anime every week but couldn't afford to only air half as many episodes. This was before the age of anime taking season breaks like western television, so holding onto the timeslot was vital, so the series shared time with Ape Escape to keep them both on the air.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
So the topic of the Maverick Hunters politicizing the term Maverick to kill otherwise innocent Reploids comes up a lot in the fandom. Well Tumblr user You-cant-gently caress-megaman actually compiled a list of all the bosses, their motivations, and their fates, and the actual number this applies to is...zero.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Isn't that a Zero thing?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Caphi posted:

Isn't that a Zero thing?

Nah, it’s been a thing since at least X4

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Here is the link to the list exactly.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KplYJ-vmpbI1EczYkROTa4Bjo_hE3ybXinCA9e-Xde0/edit#gid=0

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Good lord X6's is depressing jeez.

Caught doing something bad, off themselves, and then get rezed by Gate, then get blown up by X or Zero.

Except Metal Shark. gently caress him lol :v:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Shindragon posted:

Good lord X6's is depressing jeez.

Caught doing something bad, off themselves, and then get rezed by Gate, then get blown up by X or Zero.

Except Metal Shark. gently caress him lol :v:

Alia also was a good little government lapdog and helped kill at least a few of them the first time given her in game summaries (though the concept of sending a reploid whose primary function is research and navigation on an assassination mission is still funny to me)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Apr 9, 2023

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Ground Scaravich was killed by Gate's own request. The fact that this is just a thing that a coworker feels alright asking her implies that Alia is actually a killbot *first* and a scientist second.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Flytrap posted:

So the topic of the Maverick Hunters politicizing the term Maverick to kill otherwise innocent Reploids comes up a lot in the fandom. Well Tumblr user You-cant-gently caress-megaman actually compiled a list of all the bosses, their motivations, and their fates, and the actual number this applies to is...zero.

You mean like shield sheldon getting labeled as a maverick because people were jealous of Gate?

quote:

Alia: You got the Guard Shell! Shields enemy's shot for a counterattack. Shield Sheldon. Ex-security police. He guarded Dr. Jim who was an important person in the laboratory. Suddenly, Dr. Jim became a Maverick. However, he was unable to control himself. The Maverick Hunters identified Sheldon as a Maverick just because he was created by Gate. Sheldon could not deal with being labeled, so he ended it all.

I mean technically he killed himself first but he was actively being hunted down

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Apr 9, 2023

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

quote:

X: Shield Sheldon! I thought it was you...
Shield Sheldon: Sure.
X: I'm very sorry about the case. If only I could have been there in time.
Shield Sheldon: Don't be. I couldn't fulfill my role as a bodyguard, that's all.
X: You had been protecting the professor. When the professor became a Maverick, there was no other way. Our officers misinterpreted your action and you were hunted as a Maverick. And then you retired yourself. That was so unfortunate...

Zero: Shield Sheldon... Too bad about your previous life...
Shield Sheldon: Don't be. I was new as a bodyguard. That's all.
Zero: Maverick Hunters are supposed to be able to tell a Maverick from a Reploid... Our officers are not good enough... They could cost us everything...
It seems somewhat relevant that Shield Sheldon had also just killed Dr. Jim when the Maverick Hunters arrived at the scene.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hogama posted:

It seems somewhat relevant that Shield Sheldon had also just killed Dr. Jim when the Maverick Hunters arrived at the scene.

the game itself just says he was incapable of protecting Dr Jim.

as presented

Dr Jim goes maverick. Sheldon "couldn't prevent" this.
Dr Jim dies. Sheldon "failed to protect him."
Sheldon gets labelled maverick (which looks like an accident to zero and x)
Sheldon commits suicide.

We then later find out that the accidental deaths of gate's creations were all a secret conspiracy, due to alia's boss being jealous of how good gate's reploids were.

quote:

Alia: he continued creating more advanced Reploids so that he would get recognition for his ability. Of course, it was against our boss. One day, making it look like an accident, the Reploids were disposed of. It was our boss' orders. But I participated...

X: Were they really dangerous?

Alia: No, not really. But his program was just too advanced. There were too much that could not be analyzed by us.
In other words, X and Zero don't know the underlying truth, and Alia does.

So nah, Sheldon didn't kill jim, at least not in the US version of x6. Jim died but (as presented in the text) was probably killed by hunters, and then Alia's boss got Jim's bodyguard 'accidentally' put onto the hit list too.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I think the retranslation makes it clear that Sheldon killed Jim to stop him from doing vague evil stuff.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

The story of Mega Man Zero explicitly was about Neo Arcadia slapping the Maverick label on Reploids they wanted to get rid of. In X4 the Repliforce as a whole was declared to be Maverick, they refused to stand down and be questioned after being framed for crashing the Sky Lagoon, and then went on to start a movement to create a nation for Reploids only, independent from any human government. So it being used in a political way has absolutely been there for a long time.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

KennyMan666 posted:

The story of Mega Man Zero explicitly was about Neo Arcadia slapping the Maverick label on Reploids they wanted to get rid of. In X4 the Repliforce as a whole was declared to be Maverick, they refused to stand down and be questioned after being framed for crashing the Sky Lagoon, and then went on to start a movement to create a nation for Reploids only, independent from any human government. So it being used in a political way has absolutely been there for a long time.

I mean, that's not really an improper use of the Maverick title though. For Repliforce anyway. When your bid for independence is preceded by something that appears to be an attack by one of your men (and it was even if not under the General's orders), then you refuse to talk because "muh pride" and then *followed* by half of your most important men firebombing random civilians for funsies (some of them under the influence of Sigma, but nobody upstairs would have reason to know that) like...I can't really say the government would be wrong for declaring you a bunch of violent criminals.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Apr 9, 2023

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

KennyMan666 posted:

Only those under General General were declared Maverick.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Flytrap posted:

I mean, that's not really an improper use of the Maverick title though. For Repliforce anyway. When your bid for independence is preceded by something that appears to be an attack by one of your men (and it was even if not under the General's orders), then you refuse to talk because "muh pride" and then *followed* by half of your most important men firebombing random civilians for funsies (some of them under the influence of Sigma, but nobody upstairs would have reason to know that) like...I can't really say the government would be wrong for declaring you a bunch of violent criminals.

It also wasn’t helped by Sigma slipping three actual Mavericks into their ranks as well (Peacock, Mushroom, and Dragoon)

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

KennyMan666 posted:

MMZ definitely does do the "Not on board with the regime? Maverick!" thing, but Repliforce refusing to stand down and be questioned and instead resorting to armed resistance after a horrifying terrorist attack that almost definitely left a city full of people dead that they're the prime suspects for seems like a pretty valid nonpolitical reason to call them mavericks, even before they started going "hey wait do we even really need humans in our reploid utopia?"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Flytrap posted:

Ground Scaravich was killed by Gate's own request. The fact that this is just a thing that a coworker feels alright asking her implies that Alia is actually a killbot *first* and a scientist second.

Though that does raise the question of why she’s typically stuck on mission support instead of being out in the field as an active Hunter

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Maybe she's more of a stealthy assassin bot rather than a "shoot your way past an angry army of robots before killing the maverick in open combat" killbot.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Everyone's allowed a change in career. Blizzard Buffalo would rather be an artist than a security bot.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Dabir posted:

Everyone's allowed a change in career. Blizzard Buffalo would rather be an artist than a security bot.

Definitely better suited as an artist than a fighter.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I just always love how casually Alia goes 'btw I merked this guy. And that one too. Lots of guys, really.'

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Pureauthor posted:

I just always love how casually Alia goes 'btw I merked this guy. And that one too. Lots of guys, really.'
"You get it, right, X? It's your MO too after all. Only, I usually take the back entrance. Much less hassle getting to the target that way."

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Now I'm imagining an MMX version of Resident Evil: Mercenaries and it turning out that Alia is the HUNK character. Just snapping necks left right and center.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kanos posted:

MMZ definitely does do the "Not on board with the regime? Maverick!" thing, but Repliforce refusing to stand down and be questioned and instead resorting to armed resistance after a horrifying terrorist attack that almost definitely left a city full of people dead that they're the prime suspects for seems like a pretty valid nonpolitical reason to call them mavericks, even before they started going "hey wait do we even really need humans in our reploid utopia?"

" Violently establishing an ethnostate inside a weapon of mass destruction... isn't that romantic, Zero?"

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
lol jeez and they make the flashbacks with Alia and Gate seem like good times...

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

It also wasn’t helped by Sigma slipping three actual Mavericks into their ranks as well (Peacock, Mushroom, and Dragoon)

Peacock, Mushroom, and Dragoon are not Repliforce members and are unaffiliated with them.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Kanos posted:

To be fair, humans are incredible assholes such that The Master kills them all because of their utter lack of allowing other people to live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Peacock, Mushroom, and Dragoon are not Repliforce members and are unaffiliated with them.

Dragoon apparently at least was involved with them in some capacity, he basically says in his dialogue that Sigma told him he’d get his chance to fight X and Zero if he “worked for Repliforce” (but I might be remembering wrong)