Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Once you understand better how Nico works, she's insanely powerful at both buffing you and debuffing your opponent and she has a number of really good "hit like a loving truck" cards to slot in.

I spend most of the game with the gal pals group of Hunter, Magik, and Nico.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The DLC characters have all been pretty great so far. Eddie Brock has some surprisingly deep character development, and Peter tries really hard to be his friend and help him out. Eddie can’t help but fall for conspiracy theories.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

RevKrule posted:

I spend most of the game with the gal pals group of Hunter, Magik, and Nico.

Gal Pals for life.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sentinel Red posted:

Gal Pals for life.

Me* and the girls bout to hit the club

(*may not actually be me)

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Maybe I just haven’t unlocked her full potential or figured out the best strategy with her but Magik’s low damage output keeps me from using her often. Portals are cool but her attack card that just lets you move the enemy is just as useful to set up knockback attacks from the other heroes and do more damage at that.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Illyana goes from "Eh, I guess if I can pull some cool portal tricks" mid to "HOLY poo poo" once you unlock her AOE teleport damage... thingie.

Without she has a downgrade in usefulness comparable to Robbie minus his "Drive a car through basically everyone on the map that falls in a straight line" move. Which her teleporter move is great for setting up!

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
If you can roll enough Free and Redraw bonuses, her "+damage when kicked through portal" thing can stack to some crazy levels.

Also Nico is a beast. It's hard not to bring her every time.

Dark Hunter + Nico + Magik murder squad.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Peter and Robbie are getting their arses kicked in Fortnite or something, ask Nico and Magik for help.
Nico refuses but Illyana offers some magic words for them: "Git gud."

It really is the little moments.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Magik can be powerful, but she's more about controlling the battlefield.

Nico though is like a walking nuke.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Open Marriage Night posted:

The DLC characters have all been pretty great so far. Eddie Brock has some surprisingly deep character development, and Peter tries really hard to be his friend and help him out. Eddie can’t help but fall for conspiracy theories.

It still cracks me up that because Venom is an oversized model, they can't use it in the Cool Walk when you're heading out for a mission. It's like two superheroes joined by generic NPC man in jeans and a tshirt.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

That’s why I like teaming with Venom and Hulk.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Really surprised more people aren't using Rogers. He's my BFF. Super useful shield regen every turn, taunt everything, shield throw is classic. He is the man.

Also Morbius is loving great, and pairing him with Blade is extra fun!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Does he morb

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

He does nothing but morb

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I for some reason STILL haven't played Midnight Suns despite having the disc and everything. It's turned into one of the games I bought but haven't played due to class.

But the conversations here are giving more hype for it than the trailers ever did.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Grem posted:

Really surprised more people aren't using Rogers. He's my BFF. Super useful shield regen every turn, taunt everything, shield throw is classic. He is the man.

Also Morbius is loving great, and pairing him with Blade is extra fun!

I used Steve a lot. I feel like out of everyone his kit best represents his character. He's a really good tank who can do decent damage.

I'm pretty sure one of the phases of the final mission forces character selection based on bond levels. If I'm right, my highest were Magik, Tony, and the two Caps. My least used were the DLC characters and Hulk, shockingly :v

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Got the one round win and no damage taken trophies thanks to Logan and Illyana being AWESOME as gently caress. My man just sliced the everliving poo poo outta all of these motherfuckers while we dumped the rest through a nice trip throuh Limbo. I am having an obscene amount of fun with this game.

Am a little disappointed that Illyana’s challenge outfit isn’t Full Darkchylde goat legs, horns and a tail but the leggo card will have to do.

lmao at the Cyclops Was Right outfit, love it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sentinel Red posted:

Got the one round win and no damage taken trophies thanks to Logan and Illyana being AWESOME as gently caress. My man just sliced the everliving poo poo outta all of these motherfuckers while we dumped the rest through a nice trip throuh Limbo. I am having an obscene amount of fun with this game.

Am a little disappointed that Illyana’s challenge outfit isn’t Full Darkchylde goat legs, horns and a tail but the leggo card will have to do.

lmao at the Cyclops Was Right outfit, love it.

Other favorites were the Magneto was Right and Dazzler Tour shirt.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I am consistently impressed at the voice acting in this game. Everyone gives a really solid effort, even if the dialogue is very comic-book-y for good reason. Some of Deadpool's dialogue actually made me laugh out loud, which surprised me. The only weak bit of voice acting I've noticed so far is when female Hunter scores a KO she says something like "go back to your master" and the way she says "master" it has like a bit of a faux accent that she doesn't otherwise normally have and it's a bit off-putting.

I gave Iron Man a laboratory mod that upped his chance for cards to be critical and he's even more of a KO machine than ever. By the way, for anyone who is just getting into the game or took way longer to realize this than it should have, any attack cards in your hand that have the "attack" card symbol (crossed swords) that's on fire, that card is critical and will do more damage than the bog standard version.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Hunter’s VA reminds me of Mark Meer’s flatter take on Shep in the first Mass Effect, feels like she’s playing it pretty neutral for the most part. I guess considering she’s a sheltered middle ages girl resurrected in the present day to all sorts of crazy poo poo it kinda works but it’d have been nice if the VA had moments to let loose because she was great playing unhinged as Trilla in Fallen Order.

I have a new favourite spell to use on all those big, beefy bastards who like to put shields up every other minute.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I played it as male Hunter and his voice acting ain't great either. In general, I found the VA pretty mediocre in the game.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Male Hunter is Matt Mercer, so it's not like the talent isn't there, the neutral tone is definitely a directing choice.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

Male Hunter is Matt Mercer, so it's not like the talent isn't there, the neutral tone is definitely a directing choice.

It's not even that it's flat, it's that everything seems unnatural. "WHO IS A GOOD GIRL? IT IS MY CHARLIE GIRL!" just sounds like someone phoning it in, not a deliberate directorial choice.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Endless Mike posted:

It's not even that it's flat, it's that everything seems unnatural. "WHO IS A GOOD GIRL? IT IS MY CHARLIE GIRL!" just sounds like someone phoning it in, not a deliberate directorial choice.

In almost every case it's direction. Between what they ask for in the overall performance, the performer's range as seen in literally anything else, giving/not giving notes after takes, and which takes they choose to use? If you get a bad performance out of the most prolific and successful voice actors in the biz, it's 100% on direction

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

what no? that's great, i love that line

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
FemHunter at least injects a tone into it that sounds like she's talking to a dog while ruffling their fur.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I liked most of the performances. Michael Jai White as Blade was great. Also loved Laura Bailey as Magik. "Have you seen Charlie? I need hellhound snuggles."

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The voice talent in this game is stacked. I don't get how anyone can complain about it.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Lucifunk posted:

I'm on my 3rd playthrough of Midnight Suns now that the DLC is dropping. I love this game, warts and all, and I will forever wish now that they had made an X-Men game in this style. School or Krakoa, the game already feels a little like classic 80s Claremont X-Men.

Giving Gotham Knights a chance now too, but it's not grabbing me much.

I was craving another superhero game after Midnight Suns, and picked up the 2nd South Park rpg, and I hate to admit it, but other than the dated and edgleord humor, it's a good turn based rpg. You design your own superhero which never happens enough in other games.

They 100% originally pitched it as an X-Men game and Disney said "No, it has to include all our recognizable IP." Just like Disney killed Marvel Heroes for the unforgivable crime of... doing a promo based on Fox's Fantasic Four.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

They 100% originally pitched it as an X-Men game and Disney said "No, it has to include all our recognizable IP." Just like Disney killed Marvel Heroes for the unforgivable crime of... doing a promo based on Fox's Fantasic Four.

...No? No they didn't? We know exactly how they pitched the game because Jake Solomon has talked about it extensively. It was always a Midnight Sons game.

Also Disney killed Marvel Heroes because it turned out Gazillion's CEO at the time was a wife-beating rapist among other issues they had with him and the company. What the gently caress are you talking about?

e: Hell the game closed down two years after that movie came out

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Fantastic Four and X-Men haven't been an issue for a few years now since Disney bought Fox.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
If I was gonna speculate on the base concept for Midnight Suns I almost wonder if it was originally pitched as the Midnight Sons and their spooky friends but then Marvel was like "So... you're gonna put the Avengers and Wolverine in this, right?"

It's a shame that there probably won't be a sequel, because there's a pretty appealing logical progression of where it would go

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

They probably knew they needed to cast a wide net if they had access to Marvel’s entire catalogue. Some of the best stuff is Spidey wanting to be in the spooky club, and Captains Marvel and America being in a book club with Blade and Wolverine. Iron Man and Doctor Strange arguing is kind of par for the course, but always works well.

The Midnight Suns butting heads with the Avengers was pretty well done, and I think gave them a sense of legitimacy that they proved themselves standing next to the established franchise.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Soonmot posted:

what no? that's great, i love that line

It is the single greatest thing in the entire game

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Woah, Magik just merked the poo poo out of Sabretooth, lol get hosed Vic.

I just finished Book Club and am upset that i) I’m nearing the end; and ii) Hunter didn’t get to suggest a book. I could read Illyana’s shitposting on hero Twitter forever.

It’s good that there’s pet the dog and cat prompts but there also needs to be a pet Peter option too, bless him.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
"Do you consider yourself a goth?"
"Like people who enjoy horror novels and films, and the sad, whiny music you and Magik listen to?"

God, I love the Hunter-Nico-Illyana scenes.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I like that after the party scene you can choose not to make Magik go back and just vibe with her in her room listening to metal records.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gaz-L posted:

I like that after the party scene you can choose not to make Magik go back and just vibe with her in her room listening to metal records.

The objectively correct choice.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Can't imagine anyone choosing otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

I think even if you tell her to go back she just wants to chill for a while and you oblige?