Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Cephas posted:

The music in this game is something else. It's like the game devs pulling out their limit break to hard sell any scene they want on you. I've noticed that there is a lot of intention to how cutscenes are directed to make full dramatic use out of the outstanding music in this game. Like how Partitio's theme starts when he gets the hat, or how a subtle camera swoop introduces Castti's theme. It's all great.

Well, the composer literally said he didn't see the game before making the music for 1. He was basically blind composing, now he actually saw what he was making music for in 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

stupid question, but can you/how do you select which outfit your characters wear when you equip a second job

you unfortunately cannot

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Up to fighting Father in Throne's Chapter 3 and I sure as gently caress wasn't expecting that last-second pivot in Father's backstory :suspense:.

Is there any advice for dealing with the last stretch of the fight when he boots the poo poo out of himself and starts slashing everyone to death?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I can't remember having too many problems with that fight, but I think the staples should still work; Leghold Trap to slow them down and break them as soon as possible.

If you're having trouble surviving, use Shackle Foe to help weather the assault. If you've earned enough JP for a Dancer to learn Sealticge's, using it on Temenos to cast Prayer of Plenty on the party will give you a hp buffer.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I can't tell if Enervating Slash is bugged or not. I initially assumed it was just a tooltip or translation error--the tooltip says that it strips buffs from the target, but it actually strips buffs from the user--but some of the characters' voice lines when they use the attack also make it sound like they're weakening the target, not themselves. That makes me think it's not a mistranslation, but then again I have no idea so :shrug:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Harrow posted:

I can't tell if Enervating Slash is bugged or not. I initially assumed it was just a tooltip or translation error--the tooltip says that it strips buffs from the target, but it actually strips buffs from the user--but some of the characters' voice lines when they use the attack also make it sound like they're weakening the target, not themselves. That makes me think it's not a mistranslation, but then again I have no idea so :shrug:

It's a description error, it's supposed to strip your own buffs to empower the attack. Castti's EX skill is the reverse where it strips the opponent's debuffs to empower it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

It's a description error, it's supposed to strip your own buffs to empower the attack. Castti's EX skill is the reverse where it strips the opponent's debuffs to empower it.

That's what I assumed, but it's weird that the voice lines sometimes seem in line with the (incorrect) description, which is what threw me off.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Harrow posted:

That's what I assumed, but it's weird that the voice lines sometimes seem in line with the (incorrect) description, which is what threw me off.

For what it's worth, I assumed the same thing about it eating the target's buffs.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

lmao Merchant Hikari owns, just doing iaijutsu moves with his katana while wearing a trenchcoat and fedora, while also being a prince of fantasy Japan, just living the weeb dream

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Combo posted:

Honestly I've had Hikari as Armsmaster basically the entire game. I've considered switching it up because I don't use half the weapons now but not sure who else to give it to unless I want to pump Osvald's elemental damage through the roof, which I may.

“Pump Osvalds damage through the roof” is probably the best application of Armsmaster. For other characters its marginal value is fairly limited.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I love this game. I'm doing all character chapters at the same time. The music is just so good, I'm doing Partitio ch. 3 and had to come here and post his theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5vH99GqfHo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ugTDd5wLoU

Partitio with the inventor catapult has been my MVP

Barreft fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 5, 2023

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Barreft posted:

I love this game. I'm doing all character chapters at the same time. The music is just so good, I'm doing Partitio ch. 3 and had to come here and post his theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5vH99GqfHo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ugTDd5wLoU

Partitio with the inventor catapult has been my MVP

Huh. You know, I never considered you could play a game like Octopath II any other way. :v:

In my case, Ochette as Hunter/Warrior has turned into a powerhouse. I've been regularly hitting 15-16k damage now in boss fights. Her latent power is like a boss-ending punch.

But I've also finally made my way through Partitio's chapter 3 and, wow. I knew I was in for a great time when Partitio suggested stripping down in front of Alrond.

The chapter also had some other great stuff, like how suddenly, the game involved your completed Partitio-sidequests. Pardi impressed Grand Duke Alrond a lot with inventing the music industry. I later celebrated this event by buying new tavern music from the big new mall now open in Wellgrove.

Also great was Ochette suddenly suggesting to make a meat-only department store and starting to list some of the food items you can turn monsters into. Sorry Ochette, I'm not sure if your Meat Mall idea will catch on. :allears:

The idea of someone carrying a huge steam engine around as some sort of portable stealth shield was also not something I'd have expected.

Great chapter, 10/10 salted seafoods.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The nice thing about Armsmaster is, like Inventor, its skills are unlocked universally without spending JP, so you can put it on anyone you want at any time and they can immediately use all the skills you've unlocked for it. Plus for 99% of the game you only need to outfit four characters at once, not eight, so competition over secondary jobs isn't usually very high.

Sometimes it goes on Osvald to turbo-boost his spells and let him have insane weakness coverage for duels. Sometimes it goes on Hikari because he looks cool (and also to trounce duels). Sometimes it goes on Agnea because it owns when the adorable small-town dancer girl grabs a giant axe and cleaves a monster in half with it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I like it on Osvald because he looks the least clunky in the outfit (and to be honest he doesn't work well with a lot of the other subjob outfits).

The important thing is to rock it. Agnea gets Merchant because she gets a cute tiny hat, Partitio gets Dancer because he gets to wear a different (yet still rad) hat, etc.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Osvald looks badass in Cleric and Thief too IMO. I love his Thief cape especially (and Thief lets him double-boost fire which isn't quite as good as Armsmaster but still pretty good).

Hunter lets him double-boost both ice and lightning but then he has to wear the Hunter outfit and that might be a bonus or not depending on if you like this:

Meanwhile I have Agnea as an Inventor because she looks adorable in that outfit

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 5, 2023

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Harrow posted:

Osvald looks badass in Cleric and Thief too IMO. I love his Thief cape especially (and Thief lets him double-boost fire which isn't quite as good as Armsmaster but still pretty good).

Hunter lets him double-boost both ice and lightning but then he has to wear the Hunter outfit and that might be a bonus or not depending on if you like this:

Meanwhile I have Agnea as an Inventor because she looks adorable in that outfit

I have Osvald as an Inventor just for broader weakness range, and also because the outfit suits him to a tee.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The Hunter outfit can be hit or miss but I really like it on Partitio. It's not optimal for him (he can use Draefendi's Bow immediately which is nice, but Aeber's Reckoning is stronger), but I put it on him for boss fights because I can.

The one outfit I don't like is Arcanist and how it hides the face. Osvald looks the least bad in it.

Apothecary goes well with most of the cast though, other than maybe Throne.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah the outfits I like the least are the ones that hide a character's features more. I don't like Arcanist hiding the character's face, and I'm not a huge fan of the male Armsmaster outfit because I think the helmet is kind of homogenizing and they all look really similar aside from the color scheme. Like Temenos and Hikari look nearly identical in Armsmaster and only really differ in that Temenos wears teal and Hikari wears red.

IMO the two classes that look great on everyone are Inventor and Warrior. Everyone looks good in those outfits. Apothecary is pretty great, too.

Actually now that I think about it Merchant looks pretty good on everyone too.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 5, 2023

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I feel like Merchant is a mess on Osvald; too much going on in the sprite.

Weirdly I'm not a fan of the Inventor outfit, it looks especially awkward on Ochette.

But I'd say, preferred outfits for everyone:

Ochette: Apothecary or Thief
Castti: Dancer or Merchant
Temenos: Scholar
Osvald: Apothecary or Armsmaster
Partitio: Hunter or Apothecary
Agnea: Merchant
Throne: Warrior
Hikari: Merchant

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Just finished the epilogue for this game.

This game owns. I'm still missing a location on the map though... and I need to knockout 70 more people lol

edit: nvm I found the last location, still need to knockout 70 people lol

Revitalized fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 5, 2023

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
lolin hardcore at Agnea c4 with the Sai old dude saying "<your mom> passed through town and would give us poor folk money from her own pocket!" as Agnea skips through town and relieves every man, woman, and child of their coin purses, candy, and belongings by being real pretty

HOBODANCER! HOBODANCER!

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 6, 2023

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I was not expecting Hunter to make everyone put on fake ears and tails. Guys you made it vaguely racist and weird you didn’t have to make it weird :ohdear:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
the thing where the game stops displaying any of the skill explainer text bubbles mid-battle is a bug, right?

it's not actually supposed to stop showing those as a "gently caress you, you remember which skills/items/etc. do what" JRPG hard mode nonsense thing is it?

i was accepting of linux emulation of a squeenix game working poorly, but it deciding "nah, you don't get the popups explaining which items restore SP and which do revives anymore" halfway through the first legit hard boss battle even after i gave up and switched to playing it on windows is loving murder

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Apr 6, 2023

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

the thing where the game stops displaying any of the skill explainer text bubbles mid-battle is a bug, right?

it's not actually supposed to stop showing those as a "gently caress you, you remember which skills/items/etc. do what" JRPG hard mode nonsense thing is it?

i was accepting of linux emulation of a squeenix game working poorly, but it deciding "nah, you don't get the popups explaining which items restore SP and which do revives anymore" halfway through the first legit hard boss battle even after i gave up and switched to playing it on windows is loving murder

calm down lol. there's a show/hide details button. its X on pc/xbox, space if using keyboard, and whatever the sony equivalent of that is

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

surprised you haven't lost your loving minimap

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Borsche69 posted:

calm down lol. there's a show/hide details button. its X on pc/xbox, space if using keyboard, and whatever the sony equivalent of that is

it's Y on Switch, by the way

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I was not expecting Hunter to make everyone put on fake ears and tails. Guys you made it vaguely racist and weird you didn’t have to make it weird :ohdear:

Any enemy of cat Throne is an enemy of mine.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Or are they really fake

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ApplesandOranges posted:

Or are they really fake

Hunter Training involves doing exercises that develop your tail muscle (which is a thing that exists but is just weak and tiny in most people.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Natural 20 posted:

Any enemy of cat Throne is an enemy of mine.

She just wants to touch a fluffy tail.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I finished everyone’s stories last night, and just have one more dual path to complete.

Is there some really obvious “point of no return” for triggering the beginning of the finale, or does it happen as soon as you’ve cleared all of the main story stuff? Just wanna know if I should clear out side quests (with a guide) first.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

The point of no return is very obvious.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
There is a trigger, and the game will explicitly alert you when you reach it and give you the option to put it off.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Is there even a reason to put off the finale? Isn’t there a post game secret superboss? Or does that need to be done pre-finale?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Well, maybe you want wrap up sidequests first, some of them have nice rewards that you may want to use for the finale.

structure-only spoilers: after the finale you go back to the world map, the actual ending is behind another prompt. You can also do sidequests and whatnot there. The superboss is entirely unrelated to story content and can be accessed pretty early on, the only post-game aspect of it is that it is harder than any plot encounter.

basically don't worry about it, the game won't let you screw yourself out of any content

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Only thing really annoying me about 2 is all the flashbacks. It's a personal thing I just like forward moving plots more than spending half my time watching things that happened in the past.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Completed Chapter 4 of Osvald's story and Harvey is clearly going for Gold in the Biggest Piece of poo poo Olympics. I hope that fucker gets what's coming to him. :toughguy:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Completed Chapter 4 of Osvald's story and Harvey is clearly going for Gold in the Biggest Piece of poo poo Olympics. I hope that fucker gets what's coming to him. :toughguy:

(No spoilers beyond chapter 4) Osvald's story pivoted from The Fugitive to Fullmetal Alchemist so fast I barely noticed it happening

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Harrow posted:

(No spoilers beyond chapter 4) Osvald's story pivoted from The Fugitive to Fullmetal Alchemist so fast I barely noticed it happening

With the whole "Bodies burned beyond recognition" thing on top of the hunt for the "Source", I fully assumed this was gonna go Fullmetal Alchemist in some respect, but even so holy poo poo was that dark. I really liked the thematic ending of the bossfight with the heal spell right before she cracked and shattered completely :ohdear:. Also the subtle misdirect where only 3/4 of the capsules break, and the last one looks almost human-child-sized so you spend that entire beat wondering if it's Elena in that last tank.

Only instead Elena been mind-altered to forget Osvald and just twist the knife :stonk:. I hope we get to burn Harvey in turn for what he's done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

With the whole "Bodies burned beyond recognition" thing on top of the hunt for the "Source", I fully assumed this was gonna go Fullmetal Alchemist in some respect, but even so holy poo poo was that dark. I really liked the thematic ending of the bossfight with the heal spell right before she cracked and shattered completely :ohdear:. Also the subtle misdirect where only 3/4 of the capsules break, and the last one looks almost human-child-sized so you spend that entire beat wondering if it's Elena in that last tank.

Only instead Elena been mind-altered to forget Osvald and just twist the knife :stonk:. I hope we get to burn Harvey in turn for what he's done.

Yeah the misdirect with the fourth capsule was really good. I was mentally preparing for that to be Elena and I'm glad it wasn't. Though it does also make me wonder how many other people Harvey has abducted to use in his experiments.