Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Rip Testes posted:

We are going through breach 1.5C and when the world doesn't immediately fall apart everyone will seize upon the scientific community for false doom mongering.

and this is different from right now how? aside from it being just a little bit warmer :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

transition from a growth economy to a girth economy

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

haven't you heard? they've opened the largest CDR facility ever in Iceland!

iceland can go TO HELL because uh guess what losers the World's first carbon capture facility being built in Edmonton

hopefully they will start by bulldozing the entire city into a pit and burying the entire stuccoed mess under a cap of frozen bitumen :pray:

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

Rip Testes posted:

We are going through breach 1.5C and when the world doesn't immediately fall apart everyone will seize upon the scientific community for false doom mongering.

That would happen even if it did immediately fall apart (it already is)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
(me being the last person alive, yelling at a pile of skulls and lab coats) YEAH BUT NOT EVERYBODY DIED, DID THEY

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

Microplastics posted:

(me being the last person alive, yelling at a pile of skulls and lab coats) YEAH BUT NOT EVERYBODY DIED, DID THEY

A climate "optimist" is just a denialist who realizes they can't outright lie about how bad things are going to be anymore because it's obvious

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Gravid Topiary posted:

iceland can go TO HELL because uh guess what losers the World's first carbon capture facility being built in Edmonton

hopefully they will start by bulldozing the entire city into a pit and burying the entire stuccoed mess under a cap of frozen bitumen :pray:

i might be reading this wrong but it looks like its just capturing its own carbon from the cement manufacturing process

however i agree that they should dumpster the entire city

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

some rig pig in a lifted f150 is gonna drive straight into that carbon capture cement plant as soon as it's done

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
the most effective carbon capture and storage strategy is compressing all the billionaires into charcoal briquettes and throwing them down a mineshaft

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

if u think about it, hellicopters are the greenest technology we own because they frequently crash and kill their billionaire occupants

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

biceps crimes posted:

welp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfNr2zUDEZc

I think we may still have a shot if we can get CDR in place within the next 30-40 years lololololololol

I really shouldn't have started my saturday with this video. Now my brunch date is ruined.

Im the Joker baby!

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.
Somebody was asking for effortposts that take a philosophical approach to the justification of extreme responses to the vast indifference to climate change; Pacifism As Pathology is a book that covers some of that ground. Fair amount of overlap with Malm's Pipeline.
Edit: Deep Green Resistance, too; do a little research about the authors first, tho.

OIL PANIC has issued a correction as of 17:21 on Apr 9, 2023

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

blatman posted:

if u think about it, hellicopters are the greenest technology we own because they frequently crash and kill their billionaire occupants

lMao

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Is that plant going to sell the CO2 to a company that uses it to extract more oil? I'm just going to assume yes.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Adenoid Dan posted:

Is that plant going to sell the CO2 to a company that uses it to extract more oil? I'm just going to assume yes.

I think you mean, for long term storage...

underground...

once they clear out that nasty oil to make room.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Oh so oil is bad and you love the earth but you want to leave all that nasty oil IN the earth?

Make it make sense

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin

Adenoid Dan posted:

Oh so oil is bad and you love the earth but you want to leave all that nasty oil IN the earth?

Make it make sense
:shuckyes:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Adenoid Dan posted:

so no it doesn't look like its enhanced oil recovery, but it does appear than they're saddling the nearby first nations with partial responsibility for maintaining the storage for the next several thousand years with the promise that the money to keep doing so will keep arriving for the next several thousand years lol

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Well I guess that's better than nothing if it works and doesn't cause too many earthquakes.

I'd want cash upfront though.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Adenoid Dan posted:

I'd want cash upfront though.

I see you're unfamiliar with the government of Alberta.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Chamale posted:

I was diagnosed with homo autism by my peers in middle school

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

im feeling pretty positive tonight.
i think we got this.
not the climate tho, something else.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Climate's dying so what

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Real hurthling! posted:

i think we got this.

thought I was still reading in the covid thread for a sec

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Real hurthling! posted:

i think we got this.

if ur thinking existential lol lmao dread then ur right

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Chamale posted:

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Chamale posted:

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Crow Buddy posted:

I think you mean, for long term storage...

underground...

once they clear out that nasty oil to make room.

I'm sure it'll be used responsibly for things like carbonation of drinks (holds it for weeks to months!) or to grow vegetables (where 5% of it might get held for weeks to months while it gets shipped to consumers, the rest goes back to air).

If it's real lucky it'll go into instrument gas or soda streams and it might be held for months to years

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Chamale posted:

lmao

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Chamale posted:

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Renaissance Robot posted:

the most effective carbon capture and storage strategy is compressing all the billionaires into charcoal briquettes and throwing them down a mineshaft

Nature abhors a rotary aircraft filled with billionaires

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Pidgin Englishman posted:

I'm sure it'll be used responsibly for things like carbonation of drinks (holds it for weeks to months!) or to grow vegetables (where 5% of it might get held for weeks to months while it gets shipped to consumers, the rest goes back to air).

If it's real lucky it'll go into instrument gas or soda streams and it might be held for months to years

It's used to make vape oil

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1645398503357661184

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

quote:

The increase has already had major effects, researchers found. One study suggests that recent devastating hurricanes, including Michael in 2018 and Ian last year, were made considerably worse by a faster-rising ocean. Federal tide gauge data from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration suggest that the sea level, as measured by tide gauge at Lake Pontchartrain in New Orleans, is eight inches higher than it was in 2006, just after Hurricane Katrina.

what the hell

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

Doesn't look like anything to me

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

lol reminds me of my reaction when I looked at the miami specific 100 year rise.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1645335185536196608?t=aal65F9HQ7e-4_IgfFmGig&s=19

https://twitter.com/TacomaFire/status/1645475803290038274?t=3CuZQHzHqmxW8fqek8R_bg&s=19

https://twitter.com/heyjohnryan/status/1645249204783312899?t=-qT8cQr0Fi4oKg_2mxp-aQ&s=19

lmfao

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Southern Louisiana is built on river silts deposited by floods so if you build flood levees you prevent the river from depositing those silts so the ocean ends up washing the land away

Combine that with natural sea level rise and boom goodbye boot

This decade-old article discusses it in more detail

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
"it poses no health or safety risks being released in this manner" rofl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

500 good dogs posted:

"it poses no health or safety risks being released in this manner" rofl