Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

The Locator posted:

I keep using TSM because A) I'm used to it, and B) Automatic train refueling at dedicated refueling depots.

Edit: You could probably use TSM just for refueling and handle the trains with normal limits, I've never tried it.

You can, this is exactly what I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
One thing i've noticed in my current Space Exploration run is that I seem to always need more sulfur, and no amount of oil wells seems to actually fill the gaping maw that is petrol and plastic. Compared to everything else in the game Crude as a raw resource just seems to require so many oil wells and processing stages.

Is it just me or does the balancing there seem very wrong for anybody else who has played it?

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

One thing i've noticed in my current Space Exploration run is that I seem to always need more sulfur, and no amount of oil wells seems to actually fill the gaping maw that is petrol and plastic. Compared to everything else in the game Crude as a raw resource just seems to require so many oil wells and processing stages.

Is it just me or does the balancing there seem very wrong for anybody else who has played it?

The sulfur, plastic & rocket fuel (and thus oil) requirements for things are far higher than vanilla, yeah. You need a lot more oil. The closest moon to Nauvis is always guaranteed to be a biter-free oil-primary moon though, and will give you more crude than you could ever use if you tap it. You could source it all from Nauvis if you expand enough but the oil moon is the most worthwhile surface to colonize that doesn't have a special space resource primary.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
There's a new mod called "Exotic Industries" that seems interesting: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/exotic-industries

I'm only up to Stage 3 (Electricity) and so far it doesn't do too much different stuff from other mods. Pre-electricity feels a lot like like Industrial Revolution.

It has an interesting take on the research system where every thing you research has the same cost in number of research packs (gated by pack type), and each research you complete increase the amount of packs needed. Once you have researched a specific number of technologies, the next "stage" unlocks.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

ymgve posted:

There's a new mod called "Exotic Industries" that seems interesting: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/exotic-industries

I'm only up to Stage 3 (Electricity) and so far it doesn't do too much different stuff from other mods. Pre-electricity feels a lot like like Industrial Revolution.

It has an interesting take on the research system where every thing you research has the same cost in number of research packs (gated by pack type), and each research you complete increase the amount of packs needed. Once you have researched a specific number of technologies, the next "stage" unlocks.

Yeah I've been doing this too and am on red circuits, the research goes up in cost for every one you do including random other mod research which is starting to make every single research take thousands of packs. Otherwise its been a decent vanilla+ feeling mod so far.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
That part doesn't seem to be particularly well thought out, they obviously want you to focus on the important researches... and then they force you research most of the tree anyway to advance to the next age so research costs are wildly inflated no matter what you do. They really should either put a cap on research costs or lower/get rid of the unlock requirements for the ages.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
First (disorganized, ad-hoc, learning) serious megabase attempt in a biterless world. Additional stipulation is that infinite research can only be conducted via megabase, so everything is currently at a standstill while I get it together. Original bus and pushpull delivery trains still in operation for the mall and modules. Only stole blueprints for nuclear, rails, and super optimal beaconed setups because math isn't fun.

Enormous smelter blocks were built before I had beacons and power really rolling but those will be compressed into module+beacon setups in the future. LTN has been so awesome at making it simple to manage trains, even if I seriously need to redo my depot as a high throughput area. I didn't even realize I'd effectively turned on greens when I set it up there and had to scramble to get four more reactors up because everything just started scheduling and in came the plates.

Is there any way I can easily move my mall's contents to effectively centralize the bots where I'm now building? For once I'm wishing I had the equivalent of Satisfactory's filtered sorters, where I could ensure any <item X> passing through on a conveyor is automatically pulled off the chain and nothing would ever slip by.

Edit: I mean in a way that isn't just shoving all random contents to come off the train into random yellow buckets and letting the bots sort it out. I'd like to have a place I can go to get 500 belts when I need them without waiting on a ton of logistics bots to fill me up.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Apr 9, 2023

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Mailer posted:

Is there any way I can easily move my mall's contents to effectively centralize the bots where I'm now building? For once I'm wishing I had the equivalent of Satisfactory's filtered sorters, where I could ensure any <item X> passing through on a conveyor is automatically pulled off the chain and nothing would ever slip by.

Filtered splitters will do this, no?

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Mailer posted:

Edit: I mean in a way that isn't just shoving all random contents to come off the train into random yellow buckets and letting the bots sort it out. I'd like to have a place I can go to get 500 belts when I need them without waiting on a ton of logistics bots to fill me up.
Buffer chests?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Those other ways are fine, but I would move everything however I wanted in a bunch of yellow chests then set up active request chests with the items I might actually want then swap them to passive chests. It’s so nasty but it would be fun.

I guess the filter splitter way is probably best/easiest though if you’re looking for that.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You ask like a train needs to bring ploppables from many varying places which means you don't have a central mall which is ok but complicates things a bit. Filter inserters, filter splitters, buffer chests are all subject to clog on the other side of a train stop if you don't otherwise control how the train is getting loaded based on loginet readouts which is doable but complicated compared to just handling it another way

So option 1 is just build a central mall making into buffer chests. Either literal buffer chests and the loginet carries them away to construction projects. Or manual buffer chests that have an inserter with a condition set not to pass them on to the belt until X amount are stored. You visit if you're tired of waiting for logistic delivery.

Option 2 is based off of schemes usually used for train roboport mods. Using slot filters inside the cargo inventory, set up a few train cars to hold the construction material you want. These trains can then visit mall source train stops, load up without clogging, and drop off at construction site logistic storage chests and the like, but also you can just find/call the train to your position and grab what you need.

Option 3. If you're building anything called a mega base your personal plopping rate should be near 0 because you either have spiderbot or a loginet plenum to do purely loginet building.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Jabor posted:

Filtered splitters will do this, no?

The issue comes with large stack sizes since you need to buffer enough to keep it from clogging. It's doable, but a better option is...

Chakan posted:

move everything however I wanted in a bunch of yellow chests then set up active request chests with the items I might actually want then swap them to passive chests. It’s so nasty but it would be fun.

That's considerably less nasty, since I can build the new mall on requester chests and only halt meaningful production briefly. Swap blue to yellow when they're done. Will probably stack feed an All My poo poo train to ship there initially into yellows to dodge the very, very slow bots and have a huge abundance of disconnected logibots do the work in ten minutes. I hadn't even thought of that despite using all this stuff normally.

zedprime posted:

Option 3. If you're building anything called a mega base your personal plopping rate should be near 0 because you either have spiderbot or a loginet plenum to do purely loginet building.

I only personally touch stuff for designs, and have an old mall that was central when I was in a bus-based setup. As that has now expanded, the mall is nowhere near central and new deployments take forever as the poor bots haul from the original bus mall. It's just a one-time move taking the old mall stock and putting it in the new mall (then cashing out remaining starter resources by train) and not an ongoing thing I'm planning on.

In theory, given infinite time and PC capabilities, even fast bots couldn't handle a centralized setup and would need regional fulfillment from massive distances. Thankfully technical limitations mean that'll never happen.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Mailer posted:

In theory, given infinite time and PC capabilities, even fast bots couldn't handle a centralized setup and would need regional fulfillment from massive distances. Thankfully technical limitations mean that'll never happen.
Simple fix. At this scale you have multiple malls on multiple loginets.

Complex fix. You get the mod that allows circuit based deployment of blueprints and automate the simple fix.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

So I'm further into Exotic Industries, these people have some balance issues. They make everything take 20-30 insulated wire, which is wire coated in plastic. I have 40% of my base dedicated to making these wires and plastic now and it's still not enough.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I started a Rampant/K2 game and things were going fine for a while but then I decided to grab a large chunk of land and discovered that apparently rampant biters can spawn nests from thin air anywhere they like with no restriction. I go out and kill everything in an area and then with no biter or nests in the area suddenly another dozen nests sprout out of the ground. I'm not missing expansion parties, they even spawn literally on top of my walls as I'm building them.

All of the nests you can see on the mini map didn't exist 15 seconds ago and there was no biters in the area to create them.

This is ruining the mod for me, hopefully there's some option or setting I can find to disable this garbage.

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

He asked my religion and I replied "agnostic." He asked how to spell it, and remarked with a sigh: "Well, there are many religions, but I suppose they all worship the same God."
Been working on a save for awhile. Trying to get to 10K science per minute (mining prod research) without blowing up my potato laptop. Here's a sample of how I'm doing blue chips for yellow science. AMA

Only registered members can see post attachments!

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

celestial teapot posted:

Been working on a save for awhile. Trying to get to 10K science per minute (mining prod research) without blowing up my potato laptop. Here's a sample of how I'm doing blue chips for yellow science. AMA

What are all those Sarlacc-pit-lookin things around the assembler machines?

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

madmatt112 posted:

What are all those Sarlacc-pit-lookin things around the assembler machines?

I guess you're new to the game? They are beacons, you load them up with modules and they will transmit the effect to everything within their limited range. Only needed if you get to the megabase-stage where you're measuring your succes in science-per-minute. If you're going for your first rocket launch they are not needed.

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

He asked my religion and I replied "agnostic." He asked how to spell it, and remarked with a sigh: "Well, there are many religions, but I suppose they all worship the same God."

kanonvandekempen posted:

I guess you're new to the game? They are beacons, you load them up with modules and they will transmit the effect to everything within their limited range. Only needed if you get to the megabase-stage where you're measuring your succes in science-per-minute. If you're going for your first rocket launch they are not needed.

Accurate about beacons since their main role is to compound productivity bonuses when you have prod 3 in 99.9% of the machines that will accept them. You have "gently caress you" wealth before you get to that point. The build I had for my first launch in this save looked nothing whatsoever like this lol.

Although, I think beginners don't use modules enough. Efficiency 1 and Productivity 1 are terrific deals in the right machines, paying for themselves right away.

Prod 3 in the silo pays for itself on literally the first launch too.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

celestial teapot posted:

10k spm?!? My current project is a 1kspm megafactory, and it already feels ridiculous.

How are you handling power?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
How tile-able is the stuff in that screenshot? I don’t like belts so I tend to use trains and bots when I scale up that much, in part because I always worry about an errant underground not getting connected and preventing production.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

kanonvandekempen posted:

Yeah I’m probably like 75% of the way to a rocket launch, and playing on peaceful/pacifist whatever mode with no bug friends. I haven’t built a beacon yet, though I think I recall researching them.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Beacons are lame and lead to boring base design! If you need more production then build another factory spur off of your rail network.

Also lame: any methods of producing electricity or smelting metal that don't burn coal.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Artisanal rockets? Next thing you'll be telling me you're raising cage free biters.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Arrath posted:

Beacons are lame and lead to boring base design! If you need more production then build another factory spur off of your rail network.

Also lame: any methods of producing electricity or smelting metal that don't burn coal.

I mean, if you power your electric furnaces with coal, you're just centralizing the burning of coal.

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

edit: reversed the messages so it's easier to read w/ the attachment

Chakan posted:

How tile-able is the stuff in that screenshot?

It tiles, but each cell consumes so much raw ore that you can't go very far before you have to weave in more belts.

Solumin posted:

10k spm?!? My current project is a 1kspm megafactory, and it already feels ridiculous.

I'm glad you asked! This is probably my favorite part of the whole base. Behold my solar field: guaranteed not to exceed 110GW! You're looking at I think 3-4 million solar panels plus accumulators to maintain supply at night.

celestial teapot fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 11, 2023

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Alright, you're valid.

Arrath posted:

I used to feel that way about beacons, but I get a lot more done when I only need to setup 72 assembly machines instead of 500+. Or 2 rocket silos instead of 10.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Angel Bob's yellow science is crushing my will to play in new and unexpected ways. There is a part of myself looking at it like "I am basically doing all of this, I just need to put it down and go" while another part of me argues "you're not going to remember where the hell this is all going unless you start documenting everything and that is basically work."

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
what am I lookin at here

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Solumin posted:

Yeah... 10k SPM is massive. Highest I've ever done so far is 2700 (2850 if the original base was in operation since I didn't remove it) and it's a pretty big project for sure.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

celestial teapot posted:

I'm glad you asked! This is probably my favorite part of the whole base. Behold my solar field: guaranteed not to exceed 110GW! You're looking at I think 3-4 million solar panels plus accumulators to maintain supply at night.

jesus lmfao that owns

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Pack it in fellas. Celestial teapot has won the game

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

celestial teapot posted:

It tiles, but each cell consumes so much raw ore that you can't go very far before you have to weave in more belts.

That rules, you beat Factorio good job

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Industrial Revolution 3 Rocket Launch standing by!
Spent way too long on this, 100+ hours, but half of that was waiting around for stuff to produce (ex. 15+ hours of waiting just for rubber trees to grow). I'm a lazy factory maker. IR3 made making buildings a pain in the rear end with all the intermediates.

And here is some late-game spaghetti

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
Nice. This definitely captures my feeling that IR3 introduces logistic bots and metal casting much too late in the tech tree.

I like how you have stored 32 tanks of nitrogen gas instead of building 5 gas vents.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Phssthpok posted:

Nice. This definitely captures my feeling that IR3 introduces logistic bots and metal casting much too late in the tech tree.

I like how you have stored 32 tanks of nitrogen gas instead of building 5 gas vents.

I was worried I'd need it later on, I vented all my natural gas and sour gas until realizing I needed it haha. Not picture are 50+ more full tanks of gas to the north

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

Thanks for the kudos :D Since y'all are digging it, I'll post some more porn. Here's the bottom-right corner of my low density structures for making rocket parts.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

celestial teapot posted:

are you loving serious

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

well why not posted:

are you loving serious

https://youtu.be/mgfwwqwxdxY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

zedprime posted:

Angel Bob's yellow science is crushing my will to play in new and unexpected ways. There is a part of myself looking at it like "I am basically doing all of this, I just need to put it down and go" while another part of me argues "you're not going to remember where the hell this is all going unless you start documenting everything and that is basically work."

I'm pushing my way toward Angelbob's yellow science now, and there really just isn't much choice but to build it one piece at a time. It helps that most of what goes into it are relatively standalone items with at least one other use.

As for where everything is going, just saturate the hell out of the belts so you always see what's going where :science:

It also helps if you use a mod that lets you place markers of some sort indicating what's what, and extra helps if you use something like Factorissimo that lets you easily divide the factory into coherent, separate pieces.

And after all of the above fails to save you, just give up and embrace the spaghetti