Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Got a Taskmaster (UK) studio audience ticket for early May!!!!! Yeahh!!!!! I assume it’s for the season that’ll air in the Autumn. Really looking forward to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Whoa that's really cool, congrats! Are you local or making a trip of it?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mostly local - I live in London but Pinewood is out a little west so I can get the tube most of the way and then it’s like a 10 minute taxi/Uber

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Got a Taskmaster (UK) studio audience ticket for early May!!!!! Yeahh!!!!! I assume it’s for the season that’ll air in the Autumn. Really looking forward to it

Nice! You're right re the airing.

Remember to turn up early to ensure you get in!

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
The right one won Taskmaster AU.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Phigs posted:

They should do a task that is ultimately fairly simple but put emphasis on making absolutely sure you have completed all of the requirements of the task and have Alex do his are you sure bit when they say they're done. And when they say they're done again have him do that infuriating "hmm" he does. Just really mess with their heads. Especially if it comes sometime after that back of the task trick.

Kongen Befaler had a task where all you had to do was put a bead in a glass as fast as possible, but the task included language like "You have one attempt" to produce the necessary paranoia.

Most recent episode of Swedish TM had the task from UK S13 of "Have a zoom conversation with a Swedish person". And if you're gonna point out that's a bit easier, they did change it to an Icelandic person instead. But the much better task from the episode was a morbid counterpoint to Alex's wedding-based tasks - "Arrange (assistant) David's memorial service. Most memorable service wins." One contestant shut David in the coffin with a hose running, and his usual stoic facade crumbled into muffled yelps. Another set up "The last laugh - a farewell stand-up set": a microphone duct-taped to David's limp body, while the contestant read out lame jokes over a PA system at his feet.

Taskmaster AU: good final episode. I've contemplated making miniatures of contestants previously (and might have some more to share in the future...) but TM Au managed to figure out how to make it a proper two-parter. If I was naming the episode, I probably would have gone with "Not a HB" instead.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

From what I hear, one Swedish person striking up a conversation with another is just about as difficult a task as one English person doing it across the language barrier

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kaiho posted:

Nice! You're right re the airing.

Remember to turn up early to ensure you get in!

Lol yeah I learned my lesson with this when my friend invited me to a panel show studio audience (HIGNFY or something) and we were like two people after the cutoff

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Another thing I liked about the finale of TM Au but forgot to post, Tom Cashman deliberately reinforcing a contestant's misunderstanding of the task (Luke thinking that the objective was to create the smallest miniature of himself rather than the best). Can't think of a time where an assistant has gone that hard with such a move.

S15 seems to have hit its stride this week, fun to see the Horne Section. And (weird milestone time) was this the first time that everyone received the task in a different place? Feel like Kiell was given a very generous five points when his recreated instrument was literally just a bunch of books.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Alex and other assistants should do fake out part two-ers.

just have a wax envelope that says something nice. "youre doing great super star!" (oh and then sometimes do the great metroidvania troll thing of there being another layer. but since this is real life, its either another compliment and a fake point or a bonus extra credit task)

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 7, 2023

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Ivo is someone i'd never heard of and his delivery of some of these lines really kills me

also i'm hugely looking forward to every future team task

eke out fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 7, 2023

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Glad that for the AUTM season finale they did something special with that two-parter miniature task. And as always, a great studio task, no weak ones this season at all.

Well-balanced teams for team tasks in the UKTM. Ivo reminds me of myself when I was a lot younger (although he is only slightly younger than me, apparently), and Frankie Boyle is how I see myself when I'm 50, so I know which team I'll be rooting for.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I was rooting for Julia to win TMAU but she crashed and burned at the last moment, alas. Danielle is a worthy winner, though, and Nina repaying her bet to Lesser Tom was great.

edit: spoiler contains the identity of the winner of TM AU series 1

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Season 15 is great so far. The in-studio bickering is fantastic.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Australia finished well. I think the first and penultimate episodes were a little weak but otherwise a really solid season.

I think S15 might be the best studio banter season so far. But Greg needs to settle down on the scoring shenanigans before he gives Alex a stroke.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

TM Aus spoilers

Was amazed to hear Julia was in the running to win it all, and was really rooting for her to win. Danielle was fine, but is the kind of contestant I increasingly find myself rooting against: a competitive person that's also competent. Dara O'Brien is the most exemplary of that. Julia was so chaotic that her winning would have been a lot more satisfying.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Ivo sounds like a goddamn goon with his delivery.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

Leraika posted:

I was rooting for Julia to win TMAU but she crashed and burned at the last moment, alas. Danielle is a worthy winner, though, and Nina repaying her bet to Lesser Tom was great.

edit: spoiler contains the identity of the winner of TM AU series 1

Danielle came out of the gate very strong but Julie kept the mayhem up all series. I am a bit sad for Julia, but happy for Danielle nonetheless.

I see Julia getting a massive stateside boost via her Tiktok content though! I follow her, and it seems like 70% of the comments on her videos are variants of 'I don't know who this is but it showed up on my FYP and I'm obsessed' with the remainder being 'Where the hell can US people watch Aussie Taskmaster? I need more Julia!' Say what you might about Tiktok but I love to see it for her.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
UK S15 - stronger episode than last week, so it's finding it footing.
AU S1 - Solid rather than spectacular ending to the series. I assume it's a lock for S2?
GMGMSB - The format managed to hold up over the 8 weeks and I'm guessing it will also be coming back.

There were five new episodes of TM this week (UK, Au, Portugal, Finland and Sweden). It's taking over the world...

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The cutting together of Mae’s and Kiell’s attempts at the single breath task had me CREASING

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Catching up on AU, it's so weird to see Jimmy Giggle swearing.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

CatstropheWaitress posted:

TM Aus spoilers

Was amazed to hear Julia was in the running to win it all, and was really rooting for her to win. Danielle was fine, but is the kind of contestant I increasingly find myself rooting against: a competitive person that's also competent. Dara O'Brien is the most exemplary of that. Julia was so chaotic that her winning would have been a lot more satisfying.

it says a lot about this crop of contestants that Danielle 'didn't fully read the task' Walker was the competent one. What a perfect group for aus season one. Love 'em all.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Leraika posted:

it says a lot about this crop of contestants that Danielle 'didn't fully read the task' Walker was the competent one. What a perfect group for aus season one. Love 'em all.

Yeah I really wouldn't describe her as 'competent' in the way a Kerry, Ed, Richard or Dara was. I'm glad Danielle won, I was rooting for her since episode one. I liked Julia a lot but I started rooting against her because I felt like Tom definitely favored her in the scoring. She got a couple 5s throughout the season that made me go 'WHAT?'

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
https://twitter.com/taskmaster/status/1644248645255204866

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Kiell should have been disqualified that was a song, not a solo :colbert:

EDIT: :canada: :wink:

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 7, 2023

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Frankie seemed to be enjoying it a lot more this week, him and Ivo are so good together. Every contestant has made me actually lol so far, very much enjoyed that episode.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I am loving series 15. Crazy wacky energy in spades and tasks have been solid so far. Everyone seems super laid back and having fun even Frankie mostly.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Episode 2 was definitely better than episode 1 and I really like the team setup; excellent choices all around.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

how can it be an animal if they dont exist?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

After getting in TM from Oz series 1 I've started watching the original. Just hit series 2 and gently caress me that Joe Wilkinson potato golf mishap is amazing tv.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

how can it be an animal if they dont exist?

Those are birds.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Senor Tron posted:

After getting in TM from Oz series 1 I've started watching the original. Just hit series 2 and gently caress me that Joe Wilkinson potato golf mishap is amazing tv.

Which means you're a few series from "little Alex Hooooooorne" becoming the thing it is now

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Senor Tron posted:

this showing up as a YouTube random rec is what made me track down the show to watch

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Senor Tron posted:

I love that moment. My avatar is Alex laughing during that moment in the studio.

Watching it again I love how nobody expects it. We understand it's a thing now so we're like "oh no here we go", but nobody saw it coming when Greg did his thing.

Phigs fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Apr 9, 2023

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Jon Irenicus posted:

this showing up as a YouTube random rec is what made me track down the show to watch

Same, and watched it all in a binge.
Its great, love it, it does have its moments.
But has a rather annoying laugh track on it.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

happyhippy posted:

Same, and watched it all in a binge.
Its great, love it, it does have its moments.
But has a rather annoying laugh track on it.

Apart from COVID ones it's all filmed with a live audience, there is no laugh track.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Mr Beens posted:

Apart from COVID ones it's all filmed with a live audience, there is no laugh track.

The first few episodes of the Australian season have very abrupt crowd reactions that I suspect is either them "sweetening" the crowd noise or being bad at editing. It gets better later in the season though.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The first series of Taskmaster NZ was pretty unremarkable but I'm watching the second one now and David Correios might be my favorite contestant throughout all the iterations.

Jeremy Wells is really boring though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

anilEhilated posted:

Jeremy Wells is really boring though.

He is, but it works well in season 2 because it just makes more room for the completely insane contestants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Mr Beens posted:

WhiteHowler posted:

The first few episodes of the Australian season have very abrupt crowd reactions that I suspect is either them "sweetening" the crowd noise or being bad at editing. It gets better later in the season though.

Yeah, I didn't mean it was a total laugh track, they definitely repeated some of the laughs, some after each other.