Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

right thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Right thread. Small trucks best trucks.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Agreed.

I am very sad that we didn't get utes in the US. I don't mean crucks like the Ranchero, either.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You need to get a rampside corvair as a stable mate for that thing :3:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

+ Right thread. Party up front, business in the back.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMrIy9zm7QY

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RMv8SzcHO4

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Some mad science going on here

https://twitter.com/AleksKalashnkov/status/1644816608957804545?t=i8GzdexCSW-JTW0YDz9mhQ&s=19

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Ok what the gently caress.

Twitter OP posted:

so you're not supposed to be able to do this with 4A's!
people have been attempting but had issues with creating an interference engine that you can't time correctly, so we mismatched it with custom timing gears & a vacuum actuated timing advanced distributor!

:psyduck:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I do not know but I'm fascinated.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Vacuum actuated timing? What in the gently caress how does that even work

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Applebees Appetizer posted:

A lot of cars had vacuum advance distributors before electronic ignition.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 9, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah it’s super common, there was a vacuum solenoid that physically rotated the base of the distributor as vacuum increased.

Basic, but better than nothing.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

So the powerband starts as the rods go into plastic deformation? The -C variants were barely able to crack 100hp without falling apart

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Better than flywheel-actuated timing advance. And more reliable than having a lever on the control column to adjust the timing yourself manually for various regimes of engine operation.

If you would like to know more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignition_timing#Vacuum_timing_advance

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Good lord, I feel old.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

PainterofCrap posted:

Good lord, I feel old.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

PainterofCrap posted:

Good lord, I feel old.

Same. I thought Applebees was older than me up until now. :corsair:

If you need me, I'll be over here watching Matlock on the telly.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

PainterofCrap posted:

Agreed.

I am very sad that we didn't get utes in the US. I don't mean crucks like the Ranchero, either.

The Maverick is technically a ute.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PainterofCrap posted:

Good lord, I feel old.

Right there with ya, bud.

lordofthefishes
Mar 30, 2008

01000111 01010010 01000101 01000101 01010100 01001001 01001110 01000111 01010011 00100000 01000110 01000101 01001100 01001100 01001111 01010111 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001110 01000001 01000100 01001001 01000001 01001110 01010011

Right thread, they didn't cut up an evo for it.

Local coffee roasting plant has one of these:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_S-Cargo

Sometimes see it around town making deliveries.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

PainterofCrap posted:

Good lord, I feel old.

I'm 52 lol but I don't ever remember dealing with a car that had vacuum timing

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Better than flywheel-actuated timing advance. And more reliable than having a lever on the control column to adjust the timing yourself manually for various regimes of engine operation.

If you would like to know more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignition_timing#Vacuum_timing_advance

That seems odd, because if there was a vacuum leak wouldn't it gently caress everything up?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

That seems odd, because if there was a vacuum leak wouldn't it gently caress everything up?
It would have to be a pretty big leak that was interfering with other stuff as well.

There was also centrifugal advance, so you wouldn't notice it that much. Proper vacuum advance helps the car run better, but it's OK with less than optimum.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

PainterofCrap posted:

Good lord, I feel old.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Powershift posted:

A lot of cars had vacuum advance distributors before electronic ignition.

The original VTEC

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Vacuum advance is manifold vacuum based therefore load sensing.
Mechanical advance is engine rpm based sensing.
A combo of the two solves for most operating cases.

Vacuum advance diaphragms crack causing all sorts of driveability problems.
They've been around since the 30s with buick and went away with the advent of distributorless systems back in the 90s.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

lordofthefishes posted:

Right thread, they didn't cut up an evo for it.

Local coffee roasting plant has one of these:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_S-Cargo

Sometimes see it around town making deliveries.

I wonder if that stuff fits on a US market Mirage Coupe.

Answered my own question, kinda.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Not only do they crack, but unlike electronics where you know if you have a bad ground, vacuum problems are a huge pain in the rear end to track down and it's often easier to replace the whole system

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Not only do they crack, but unlike electronics where you know if you have a bad ground, vacuum problems are a huge pain in the rear end to track down and it's often easier to replace the whole system

That's what I meant as far as leaks loving poo poo up, vacuum leaks are notoriously a pain in the dick

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 9, 2023

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

are you imagining a system where it actually derives the signal for when to fire the spark based entirely on vacuum pulses (nobody does this), or have you really never touched a distributor with vacuum advance (pretty much any non-race distributor you'd see IRL)?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Raluek posted:

are you imagining a system where it actually derives the signal for when to fire the spark based entirely on vacuum pulses (nobody does this), or have you really never touched a distributor with vacuum advance (pretty much any non-race distributor you'd see IRL)?

Sure I've touched lots of distributors and changed lots of caps/rotors, but I never knew that any of them had anything to do with vacuum tbh

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
For several decades a vacuum gauge was a staple in the Mechanic's tool box, but these days they're collecting almost as much dust as the timing light and dwell meter.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PainterofCrap posted:

Agreed.

But what if, and hear me out, ..................

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
My car has an electronic (hall-effect) ignition with a distributor that has both centrifugal and vacuum advance. The electronic part is just a transistor that fires the coil - no brains whatsoever. No points to worry about.

My car also has mechanical fuel injection - a metering plate lifts a valve to the fuel injectors, but mine also has an oxygen sensor that's controlled with an analog computer that runs a frequency valve to offset the resulting fuel pressure to make the oxygen sensor signal stay even. It will still run with the "computer" removed.

(Bosch CIS-Jetronic)

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

PainterofCrap posted:

Good lord, I feel old.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

On my '66 Bonneville, there are four vacuum hoses:

power brake booster (big one)
choke pull-off (cracks the choke plate a bit when accelerating a cold engine)
Distributor advance
heat/defrost door actuator

The line once came loose from the climate control head. Took a few minutes to find out why my idle was a bit rough.

The Econoline has just the one, for the distributor advance.

A vacuum gauge is pretty much required when tuning an engine with more than one carburetor.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Apr 10, 2023

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Powershift posted:

But what if, and hear me out, ..................

:catstare: :swoon:

What the hell is that, and where can I get one?

e: motherfucker

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I honestly have no idea why you guys feel so old, my last car had a "vacuum controlled" distributor and that was a 93. I think Honda was still putting them into CRV's as late as 01, but I'm not as familiar with B series engines as I used to be

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The Door Frame posted:

I honestly have no idea why you guys feel so old, my last car ... was a 93.

Your last car was manufactured thirty years ago :okboomer:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008