Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
rumelharts advisor was estes, estes advisor was skinner

hintons advisor was coulson, who also advised peter higgs of the higgs boson lol

so in large part the connectionist programme had the behaviorism towards cognitive poo poo walked through by way of physics. see that they often compared the rumelhart backprop poo poo to hopfield's ising model net. schmidhuber goes on about how its reverse mode autodiff, and that was from a math program pretending to be an engineering program by linainnma

"backprop" and "reverse mode autodiff" means something (almost the same thing), "ising net" means something, "transformer" means something, hell even "max entropy" means something, but in the cold light of day, i dont think "intelligence" means anything

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

"intelligence" means "achmed's posts" of course. also something about being handsome and smelling quite pleasant.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.
i asked chatgpt-4 what agi means, and it gave me this:

quote:

Automated General Intelligence (AGI), often referred to as Artificial General Intelligence, is a term used to describe a type of artificial intelligence that possesses the ability to understand, learn, and apply knowledge across a wide range of tasks and domains at a level equal to or beyond human capabilities. Unlike narrow or specialized AI, which is designed to excel at specific tasks, AGI has the cognitive flexibility to perform any intellectual task that a human can do.

The concept of AGI envisions an AI system with human-like cognitive abilities, which can reason, learn from experience, adapt to new situations, understand complex concepts, and exhibit common sense. Achieving AGI is a significant goal in the field of AI research, but as of now, true AGI has not been realized. The development of AGI would have profound implications for society, raising ethical, economic, and philosophical questions that need to be addressed.

I think that's a reasonable definition. An added bonus is that it did not sass me when I asked the question. No wonder people are dating chatbots.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

anyone talking about agi in the context of llm's is either a grifter or a rube

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it didnt even get the acronym right lol

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

The Fool posted:

anyone talking about agi in the context of llm's is either a grifter or a rube

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
I’m still not convinced that anyone talking about AI in general at this point isn’t a grifter or a rube.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

the AI discourse is bad and repetitious, but I'll say that it's better than the blockchain discourse. We'll see how I feel after a few more years of this though

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
rumelhart pushed hard for the bitter lesson decades before sutton actually wrote "the bitter lesson" and was almost certainly never a grifter nor a rube but regrettably he's dead

from neural diseases. pretty ironic death, like shannon from alzheimers

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

biceps crimes posted:

the AI discourse is bad and repetitious, but I'll say that it's better than the blockchain discourse. We'll see how I feel after a few more years of this though

AI is better because there are actual practical use cases. That's one advantage it will always have over blockchain.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
I was exploring using chatgpt to generate Terraform as an experiment vs writing it myself. I was mildly impressed but didn't really see how it would be a time-saver, because what it generated looked almost correct, but really wasn't correct enough to be useful without rework that amounted to as much or more effort as just doing it from scratch.

then 24 hours later I discovered that someone at my company was actively writing an application to use chatgpt to generate terraform that we're going to try to sell people. I'm just pretending I didn't discover that because it's such a monumentally lovely idea and a huge waste of resources that I can't even begin to have that discussion. Also the person is trend-driven and prickly when you tell them their idea is stupid. A few years ago, I had a huge fight with them about trying to shoehorn blockchain into something that would absolutely not benefit from using blockchain.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i had severa run ins with blockchain at my old job. id always respond with something approaching "lol good one. only to find out that they were serious. then things would get kind of awkward

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Jose Valasquez posted:

AI is better because there are actual practical use cases. That's one advantage it will always have over blockchain.

There was a great use case for blockchain that I actually saw - disrupting the monopolistic "certification" involved with registering products and "owning" barcodes for them. Then the companies that would have suffered from them got heavily involved in pushing the open source initiatives forward. They've since stagnated and lost any potential for being useful.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Achmed Jones posted:

i had severa run ins with blockchain at my old job. id always respond with something approaching "lol good one. only to find out that they were serious. then things would get kind of awkward

One time at Experts Exchange the DBA piped up in the company chat with the suggestion that we could accept subscription fees in Bitcoin. Instead of responding with a volatility chart to show why that would be an awful idea, I just replied that I would rather support the horribly broken PayPal API code for the rest of my life than see the company execute a single Bitcoin transaction. It didn't come up again.

This, by the way, was after we'd already been catching heat from our users in India because the rupee was sliding vs the dollar and thus the $5/mo we were charging them was getting more expensive in rupees every month.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

luchadornado posted:

There was a great use case for blockchain that I actually saw - disrupting the monopolistic "certification" involved with registering products and "owning" barcodes for them. Then the companies that would have suffered from them got heavily involved in pushing the open source initiatives forward. They've since stagnated and lost any potential for being useful.

blockchain has a magical way of making things that could have been successful fail miserably yes

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

But if you asked me before gpt-4 whether true agi was even a thing that was possible, I would've laughed at you, whereas with gpt-4, it feels like even though it's definitely not there yet, it could be on the way.
Prior to GPT4 when I saw something like a Black Mirror episode I would think "heh, good thing that won't happen my my lifetime" and now I just think oh gently caress

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
My employer's finally gotten around to an RTO policy and, while the majority of folks are pretty unsurprised and accepting of the shift back toward normalcy, I've been surprised to see just how aggressive a vocal handful of people have been against it. Regardless of the merits on either side of the WFO/WFH debate, publicly and angrily needling leadership with minor rewordings of the same question isn't going to magically prompt company policy to do a complete 180.

:kingsley: "Are you saying I'll be required to be back in the office?! <paragraph long rant>"
:lofty: "Yes. The company's reviewed the last three years and has decided this is the best path forward for us."
:kingsley: "Are you saying that those who won't come back to the office will have to find other positions??!?"
:lofty: "Yes? That's what required means. This is company policy and non-compliance will lead to termination."
:kingsley: "?!?!?!"

I certainly don't want to be whiteknighting our corporate overlords, but the tantrums don't reflect well! It'd be one thing if the anti-WFO folks were trying to present an argument for why the policy is bad for everyone and to foster a common front, but it's always put forward in the most gratingly self-centered terms: "I chose to buy a house in the exurbs during Covid and will have to drive in traffic an hour and a half each way"; "I don't want to go into that crime-ridden cesspool of a city (where a majority of my coworkers live)"; "I'm more productive without coworkers around to bother me".

There are great arguments to be made for retaining a high degree of flexibility, but the angriest voices are crowding these out.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Nah, they are right. WFO sucks.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Don't think you're going to get the response you hoped for here

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Cugel the Clever posted:

I certainly don't want to be whiteknighting our corporate overlords,

Then don’t

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I think you meant to post that on LinkedIn so that management could see your take, OP

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

If management doesn’t receive a pushback, they might think they are in the right. Who am I kidding, lol.

Also,

Blinkz0rz posted:

Then don’t

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

If you can do all your job functions in front of a computer why the gently caress would you want to go back into the office.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I thought the background noise from family members/pets when talking with some of my coworkers was bad. Then they went back to the (open) office. It is so much worse now.

Rather listen to excited dogs all day every day then try to hold someone's attention while they're listening to at least three different conversations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Working from home means I don't have to deal with whatever weirdo that was who would test to see if the bathroom door was locked apparently by slamming into it with their shoulder

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I can work in an office, and deal with:
- hearing conversations around me all the time
- a daily commute (20-40 minutes plus fuel costs and added maintenance on vehicle)
- having to mask up all day, because covid sure as poo poo hasn't gone away and I'm not risking getting long covid

Or I could work from home in a setup that I've adapted to perfectly suit my needs!

I've yet to hear of a convincing argument for why offices are preferable when it comes to work that can be done remotely.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Folks who are good at communicating, productive, and can be trusted to work well should be allowed to work from home whenever they want.

The other folks are sometimes more productive at the office, even if they don't like it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

StumblyWumbly posted:

Folks who are good at communicating, productive, and can be trusted to work well should be allowed to work from home whenever they want.

The other folks are sometimes more productive at the office, even if they don't like it.

Woah woah woah, what's with all this realistic talk rather than just blind "rawarrrrr! everyone has the space and the demeanor to work from home!"

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm fine with 5 day a week RTO but I want a private office with four walls and a door that locks, and walls that go all the way to the ceiling. I don't care how small it is. I get zero work done in an open office plan

biceps crimes posted:

I think the big difference here is Blockchain was always theoretical, you were hedging your bet on the potential of the technology, it had the power to become as ubiquitous as the relational database, and no other up and coming technology was on the horizon. Moving SSL certs to sslblockchain, or DNS is maybe a good use of the technology, but nobody is going to fund their direct competitor

A product like chatgpt, even the most coggiest cog in the machine lay person can figure out a way to make at least one monthly task easier, the benefit is obvious and immediate, and "open source" models can do basic tasks like writing the weekly wrap up sales summary email, or whatever. Stuff like terraform for good durable infrastructure design is not likely possible in the short term but maybe some day

My guess is we continue to see leaps and bounds in the tech for the next 18 months and then it just totally plateaus for 20 years until AGI or some black swan event happens

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 10, 2023

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

*makes office life unbearable* why doesn't anyone want to work anymore??

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Blinkz0rz posted:

Then don’t
:shrug:
Most of my computer-touching coworkers and I have come back to office ~3 times a week entirely on our own initiative in the last year. Sharing the space and interacting with people face to face seems to be a draw. I get people think that they've "maximized their personal productivity" with WFH, but, looking at how interns and juniors have fared with remote work, that seems shortsighted.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Hadlock posted:

I'm fine with 5 day a week RTO but I want a private office with four walls and a door that locks, and walls that go all the way to the ceiling. I don't care how small it is. I get zero work done in an open office plan

This is the only thing that would get me back into the office. I recently switched jobs as the previous place started RTO(PO?) efforts for a fully remote position at a place that gives everyone their office. The HQ is in a different state, unfortunately, so I got a desk at a makerspace to not spend all my time at home.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
I'm sure that if you come back to the office and get covid (which still exists despite collective will to the contrary) and develop longer term symptoms as a consequence, your employer will be deeply apologetic and supportive of any and all time off and accommodations you might need :)

(I'm not stopping anyone coming back to the office if they really want but this is one of many reasons mandatory RTO is bullshit. I have personally been supporting my partner who we agreed should quit his job after a sudden RTO was announced and his previously approved medical exemption for remote work due to being immunocompromised was suddenly deemed invalid, so it's what you might call a little bit of a sensitive subject for me.)

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Funny enough, I think they would. The reason I switched jobs was because I wanted to go into the non-profit world. Less lovely people, imho. Of course, such places are also less likely to force RTO in the first place.

I think that mandatory RTO is bullshit attempt to inflate commercial real estate again, but I also think that it’s nice to have the office as an option. There are people who could use extra space/location due to crowded living situations, etc.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I did an interview recently they are least had room size air filters in the conference rooms, so that's a start

But yeah after covid started and before we put our daughter in a anti masking daycare nobody in our family was sick for about 2.5 years it was awesome and I'm not ready to go back to being sick every 3-6 weeks :coronatoot:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Hadlock posted:

anti masking daycare

o_O

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

thank god my team is spread across every US time zone and my management chain all reside in different cities

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The south is an awful awful place never move there

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I also believe that management who spend most of their time in the conference room or out talking to other people, should not have an office. The office should go to folks who need to focus on their actual work.

Although it is awesome when a direct report needs to talk privately, and there's a weird, tense, walk through the open area to a free conference room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you basically cant do high touch sales well outside an office tho. altho not your office, their office

managers come more from salesland than from toucherland. execs even more