Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Yeah they’re non sequiturs, funny because of the “shock” of hearing it come from a wholesome character’s mouth.

Also sorry but your frog is dead now. We know how it works though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Weebly posted:

Aren’t Scientologists famously litigious? Maybe they’re just trying to make HBO use their lawyers.

A couple months ago, YouTube thought that I wanted to know about ex-scientologists, so some recent videos came up about how they don't sue people anymore. Apparently, Miscavige had to be deposed or had to give testimony, and it was very, very bad for them. So, now, they don't sue people. I don't know how true that is, but a few videos out there came out saying the same thing, so maybe they... well, not so much learned their lesson, but they're on notice that their scientnanigans won't be tolerated anymore.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I heard that as "where's Miss Cabbage?" As in John's fiancé. It's a weird callback, but was plausible enough.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

tarlibone posted:

A couple months ago, YouTube thought that I wanted to know about ex-scientologists, so some recent videos came up about how they don't sue people anymore. Apparently, Miscavige had to be deposed or had to give testimony, and it was very, very bad for them. So, now, they don't sue people. I don't know how true that is, but a few videos out there came out saying the same thing, so maybe they... well, not so much learned their lesson, but they're on notice that their scientnanigans won't be tolerated anymore.

My understanding is that ever since the South Park expose episode Scientology has had a rough go of it. They still have money but they've been bleeding rank and file members for years.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
The main episode tonight didn't talk about anything I wasn't already aware of. As for the alternate piece they did, it was certainly a wild ride.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Since I was the cutoff age I watched both segments

Chuck E Cheese one is fire and should have been aired. Stay for the very end. Steamboat Willie spits truths:

https://www.lastsqueaktonight.com/

On the HOA bit… so I can buy a house and pay it off but the HOA/private management company can jump up a couple of grand in arbitrary fines and sell my house anyway? All that money I paid is just gone and zero government protection or oversight? Jesus. Is everything in America a scam? With all the constant violence and unlimited assault rifles for the general population, how do these guys just get away Scott free? I’m not calling for anything bad but just boggled there’s no big outcry or people “standing their ground” constantly in the US news. I’ve never heard a word of this before tonight. Why would anyone actually want to buy a house if you aren’t Succession level rich? Just sad and a bit horrifying. Sorry Murrica.

Edit: since it was mentioned in the Chuck E Cheese bit - here’s the Rockafire Explosion doing Arcade Fire. Can’t believe I randomly stumbled across this a decade ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4aIblRt72g

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Apr 10, 2023

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The fire of a thousand Mel Gibsons is going to be a phrase that's going to live in my mind for a long time.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I want to start looking to buy a house or condo next year. Preferably I'd like a condo, but being forced into an HOA has all but ruled that out for me. In my area, you're lucky if you can find a condo with an HOA fee under $400/month. HOA bullshit and other headaches involved with buying/owning a home might even get me to consider just continuing to rent and move into a bigger apartment closer to work.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

I was kind of expecting them to pull up this image when talking about showbiz pizza, was kind of disappointed when they didn't

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

DogsInSpace! posted:

On the HOA bit… so I can buy a house and pay it off

Jingleheimer posted:

I want to start looking to buy a house or condo next year.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Jingleheimer posted:

I want to start looking to buy a house or condo next year. Preferably I'd like a condo, but being forced into an HOA has all but ruled that out for me. In my area, you're lucky if you can find a condo with an HOA fee under $400/month. HOA bullshit and other headaches involved with buying/owning a home might even get me to consider just continuing to rent and move into a bigger apartment closer to work.

With a condo the HOA fees generally go towards stuff with the general shared upkeep of the building and insurance. For example shared rooflines, landscaping, cleaning, pest control, etc. If you are in a condo/apartment building I highly recommend getting on the HOA board so you can make sure the money is being used wisely. It is very important for a building to have a decent savings built up in case of an emergency and that you have regular preventive maintenance on everything you can.

In a condo it is a needed thing due to the nature of the housing, there is a bunch of stuff that is a shared cost and needs to be done. It is basically the most fair way of doing things and generally works fairly well. Where it goes off the rails is with houses, there is zero reason to have them other than developers looking for long term income and assholes looking to feel powerful. My partner's parents live in a HOA neighborhood and it is awful. Why in the gently caress would you want to live somewhere that everything looks exactly the same? It is confusing as gently caress trying to find their place too since every street is exactly the same.

Personally I'd never buy a house that had an HOA. It just seems like a bullshit scam to me, but don't be scared of one with a condo/apartment.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I live in an old inner city suburb which generally doesn't have any HOAs but there's one old guy who acts like he's the president of a HOA and is continually reporting people to the local council for having garbage in their yard or whatever. I generally keep my yard clean so he assumes I'm on his side. It's really loving bizarre.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

When we bought our house a couple years ago I asked multiple times if we would have to be in an HOA and they kept saying no. Then the day we closed on it they showed up with HOA paperwork. I was kinda pissed about that but at that point there was nothing we could do. Ours is relatively cheap and nobody enforces anything because it’s just the home builders trying to keep housing prices up. It’s very stupid and there’s previously been drama that has come of it from the board members that had to be kicked out. It’s like DC politicians on a micro scale. gently caress HOAs.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Invalid Validation posted:

When we bought our house a couple years ago I asked multiple times if we would have to be in an HOA and they kept saying no. Then the day we closed on it they showed up with HOA paperwork. I was kinda pissed about that but at that point there was nothing we could do. Ours is relatively cheap and nobody enforces anything because it’s just the home builders trying to keep housing prices up. It’s very stupid and there’s previously been drama that has come of it from the board members that had to be kicked out. It’s like DC politicians on a micro scale. gently caress HOAs.

That would be a reason to back out personally. Like if you repeatedly ask if there was an HOA and they said no only to pull a bait and switch after that would be a signal to me that they are likely lying about other stuff. I wouldn't have signed poo poo. But that is me.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

We might have if we didn’t have our previous house in a moving truck and nowhere else to go. In general HOAs are fine as long as you can get reasonable people (like yourself) on the board. It’s when you have insane people on them that problems arise. Which admittedly those are the kind of people that have the time to be on those boards.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Jingleheimer posted:

Most HOA’s are fine and literally run by your neighbors. Just make sure you read the contracts before you close and consider the additional costs in your budget. Also be sure to attend meetings and watch the budget. My HOA has reasonable fees (<10% of the mortgage), maintains all of the common areas like the neighborhood pool and lawns, takes care of everyone’s fencing, and also does pest control and are responsible for termite control. They also have ~3 years of expenses saved up, which seems like a good buffer.

But be sure to be diligent in your research, because while most HOAs are harmless, when they gently caress up bad it can end up like the Surfside Condo…

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Fun fact: My parents lost our house and most of their life savings in the 2008 Great Recession crash.

We ended up giving the tenant in our condo proper notice before moving in there (lucky we had that option at all)

Anyway, the HOA board was hilariously petty and power tripping. They had a 25 pound limit on dogs, which hey, fair enough. Our dog gained a bit of weight and the fuckers literally showed up with a scale and threatened eviction because she came in at 27 pounds.

gently caress HOAs so very much.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Most HOA’s are fine and literally run by your neighbors. Just make sure you read the contracts before you close and consider the additional costs in your budget. Also be sure to attend meetings and watch the budget. My HOA has reasonable fees (<10% of the mortgage), maintains all of the common areas like the neighborhood pool and lawns, takes care of everyone’s fencing, and also does pest control and are responsible for termite control. They also have ~3 years of expenses saved up, which seems like a good buffer.

But be sure to be diligent in your research, because while most HOAs are harmless, when they gently caress up bad it can end up like the Surfside Condo…
You got lucky and you're confusing that with being wise.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
As the episode even said, you're one vote away from disaster at all times with HOAs

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I get it for communal amenities. Pool maintenance, etc. But I encountered way too many houses with no amenities at all, where an HOA does literally nothing but enforce rules and extract money, and I noped the gently caress out of those listings instantly. I even put an offer in for a townhouse that claimed to have no HOA, after asking multiple times, only for them to reveal "there isn't one...yet." There were already CC&R's (Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions), which I was already wary about, but they waited until I submitted an offer to disclose that an HOA was actively being formed. Nope, rescinded.

I also remember looking at a house that was built on some subdivision of a parcel, which formed an HOA with the back house the developer also built. "The HOA fee is $1200 a month." "Oh, what does it cover?" "Um...a gardener comes every 2 weeks." There were no communal amenities, and the whole property was drought-resistant landscaping, so there was no lawn and a couple planters. $2400/month for an HOA that hired a gardener to water some succulents every couple weeks.

gently caress HOA's. I refuse to live under one in any context that isn't a multi-unit condo building. Even then it sucks, but at least there I get it. For an actual house, they can gently caress all the way off.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's all the problems inherent to a government, but on a small scale. Some people can go mad with power and have a lot of weird specific demands, some people are just great at using minor opportunities to ratfuck people for no reason. In the absence of legal regulation to force them to not abuse power, there will be abuses of power.

I feel like being under 35 is also too young to remember the heights of Chuck E. Cheese as well, so that segment was mostly just John Oliver yelling at younger generations for not appreciating the weird animal robots he is both terrified and aroused by.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Xealot posted:

gently caress HOA's. I refuse to live under one in any context that isn't a multi-unit condo building. Even then it sucks, but at least there I get it. For an actual house, they can gently caress all the way off.

Still sounds a bit like a protection racket and you gotta either properly join the family (thus giving away your time and money to it) or hope Uncle Paulie decides to be cool. Not like I’ll ever know as John Oliver himself put it “I will never own a house.” Curious tho - I heard you can pay off the HOA fees for like for an extra chunk of change. Is that true?

Side note: 90s kid and I loved animatronic animals in a band. Both creepy as fuq and kinda cool. Sad they aren’t doing that anymore as all kids should be exposed to the utter terror of dead eyes wishing you a happy birthday. That and those freakin tickets that somehow keep reappearing in all your clothes post wash. Late 90s we’re the best time to be a kid. Even cardboard pizza tasted good! That shot of destroying the Chuck E Cheese head made me legit sad.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like being under 35 is also too young to remember the heights of Chuck E. Cheese as well, so that segment was mostly just John Oliver yelling at younger generations for not appreciating the weird animal robots he is both terrified and aroused by.

I mean that's just a standard LWT episode.

HOA's are weird to me, having lived my life entirely in New England; they're just not a thing up here. IT's wild to me that there's places where the town or city isn't handling garbage, water, traffic, etc.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Neito posted:

I mean that's just a standard LWT episode.

HOA's are weird to me, having lived my life entirely in New England; they're just not a thing up here. IT's wild to me that there's places where the town or city isn't handling garbage, water, traffic, etc.

Basically you have people buying up a ton of cheap land in the middle of nowhere. They make "planned communities" and normally foot the bill to get water, electric, etc ran to it. The local government normally gets a pay off from the developers to give them whatever they want in return the local municipality doesn't have to spend tax dollars on servicing the development all while still getting property tax and likely other forms of taxes from the residents so it is a win/win to them. The developers have the HOA to guarantee them long term revenue to "repay" them for the first investment all while giving the bare minimum in terms of services, which I am surprised they didn't touch on. Don't even get me started that in many of these developments you never actually ever own your home. The developer or HOA often does which I still don't understand how that is legal.

Really anyone that moves into a neighborhood that has an HOA should get a couple of neighbors to take it over and dissolve it. They are a massive scam that does no one good but the wealthy extracting more money from people.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

The victim is an HOA board member should be an affirmative defense to assault.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I have an HOA at my condo and it's not so bad but I would never live under one if I owned a house that sounds like it'd suck immensely.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

cant cook creole bream posted:

I heard that as "where's Miss Cabbage?" As in John's fiancé. It's a weird callback, but was plausible enough.

That's what it kind of sounded to me too but the subtitles definitely say "Shelly Miscavige" and I had no idea wtf that was.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
regarding HOA: do other countries have similar things? I'm from Belgium and reading the last page of posts sounds is so extremely weird to me.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
We've got them in Denmark, but they are all managed under local municipal laws and under the extremely solid non-profit association laws, basically, boards aren't actually that powerful, the annual general assembly, made up of all homeowners that bothered to show up, are the actual decision makers.

Boards are just suppose to handle day-to-day stuff, rule changes has to through the general assembly.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
HOAs are one of those things that seem like a really good idea until you close your eyes and use your imagination for more than ten seconds.

"Hey, do you hate living beside that guy with three cars on cinderblocks on their front lawn, a pile of trash drifting up the side of their garage like a tidal wave, and who hasn't mowed since the Clinton years?"

"Yeah, it's dragging my property values down and it's unsafe!"

"Great, lets make our own subdivision where we can make rules not allowing that!"

"OK, but if we can make rules about how people have to maintain their property....what else can be ruled on?"

"Shhhhh."

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It’s more like oh this crazy fucker that has all the time in the world will be on the board and will report every small violation and if you don’t cooperate we will put a lien on your property. Oh his buddies are all on the board too and will just OK everything the crazy fuckhead wants? With little recourse? Well then sounds great!

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

https://twitter.com/btsportwwe/stat...ingawful.com%2F

Do you think Vince McMahon found out John made fun of his mustache :v:

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Condo or apartment? HOAs are a necessary evil, just be careful.

Private house? gently caress HOAs thank you very much.

Private home HOAs exist so assholes who tut about how other people keep and decorate their houses can actually force those people to confirm to their views.

HOAs for private homes are like abortion rights in republican led states. You think you have rights, until suddenly you don’t and you’re just hosed.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Condo or apartment? HOAs are a necessary evil, just be careful.

Private house? gently caress HOAs thank you very much.

Private home HOAs exist so assholes who tut about how other people keep and decorate their houses can actually force those people to confirm to their views.

HOAs for private homes are like abortion rights in republican led states. You think you have rights, until suddenly you don’t and you’re just hosed.

Unless your neighborhood has shared amenities like a pool or a playground or something. Then HOAs again fall into the "necessary evil" category. Otherwise you won't have those things. And if you don't want those things, you probably picked the wrong neighborhood.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I might be a dirty euro, but why is a playground under the purview of HOA and not the city?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Xarn posted:

I might be a dirty euro, but why is a playground under the purview of HOA and not the city?

Because in ‘Murica my hard earned tax dollars ain’t gonna fund some socialist playspace for poor kids. They can play in the street or the halls of their section 8 housing.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

There are plenty of city run parks, but suburbs and the subdivisions that make them up are borderline malicious from a planning perspective. They’re pretty much designed to keep people out and that results in situations where your house may only be 50 yards from a major thoroughfare, but to get to it you have to drive a mile and a half to the entrance of your subdivision. It is a selling point for the type of people that live in these places to have those amenities close since leaving is a huge PITA. Municipalities don’t have the tax dollars to build a park for every little enclave (and as discussed are happy to let these exist as entities that don’t rely on municipal money) so the “community association” or HOA or whatever builds it instead.

I am sure the intensely isolating nature of suburbs and the paranoia that the developers and politicians prey on isn’t having a negative effect on psyches though. Everything is just fine.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Freaquency posted:

I am sure the intensely isolating nature of suburbs and the paranoia that the developers and politicians prey on isn’t having a negative effect on psyches though. Everything is just fine.

In case people don't keep up with the news or internet video memes, there's a whole lot of "Karens gone wild" videos of people having panic attacks and screaming abuse or calling the police because a non-white family is using the pool in a gated community, playing in the park, etc etc

And let's not forget Trayvon Martin who was visiting family in a gated community and was shot to death by a neighborhood watch coordinator, and the recent spate of shootings because some kid mistakenly knocked on the wrong door or tried to turn their car around in the wrong driveway

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
America's deeply ingrained racism only makes this all worse, but that isn't even a requirement because everyone is so paranoid and so well armed that everyone is suspect. It's not even recent, if we're honest. The news is just covering it now because "oops" is no longer a socially acceptable answer and the anger drives clicks.

It's always been like this: it's just profitable to have us watch now... :nallears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Lord Wexia posted:

Unless your neighborhood has shared amenities like a pool or a playground or something. Then HOAs again fall into the "necessary evil" category. Otherwise you won't have those things.
Cities and towns are supposed to provide that poo poo. Offloading it to what amounts to private governments is always, always, always bad and never a "necessary" evil.