Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Woolie Wool posted:

Why are you using the GUI controls in vim? That defeats vim's entire point lmao

because i don't know what i'm doing? i just wanted to open a text file

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Nano is the much easier noob text editor.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware/Software Crap > The Linux Questions Thread: Because I don't know what I'm doing

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I haven't used gvim for some time, but I remember it using some very strange commands and idioms from the menus. Less good for learning then it looks.
Anyways, the copy command would be grayed out if you don't have anything selected.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Pablo Bluth posted:

Nano is the much easier noob text editor.

There has never been a middle ground I've needed between nano and a full graphical IDE like Visual Studio Code. If I'm using nano it's because I need to make some quick one off changes to a config file. If I'm using VSC I am loving around with a git repo and need versioning and branches.

I cannot fathom when/why I would try to use a CL tool like VIM on a modern machine. If I'm trying to gently caress around with something more complicated I would much rather gently caress around with VSC, push the repo to Github and pull it back down to whatever machine needs to use it than agonize around with vim locally.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

There has never been a middle ground I've needed between nano and a full graphical IDE like Visual Studio Code. If I'm using nano it's because I need to make some quick one off changes to a config file. If I'm using VSC I am loving around with a git repo and need versioning and branches.

I cannot fathom when/why I would try to use a CL tool like VIM on a modern machine. If I'm trying to gently caress around with something more complicated I would much rather gently caress around with VSC, push the repo to Github and pull it back down to whatever machine needs to use it than agonize around with vim locally.

Because (a) grognards who've used vim for years and years as developers become scarily efficient at it and don't want to waste time learning a new tool when vim does the job very well for them, and (b) when I use vim it's because I'm already loving around in a terminal window (usually configuring something) and I don't want to have to open up a new window and go from terminal to GUI to back just to edit some config files.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

The only reason you'd want to do this is if you're a Site Reliability Engineer and you have hundreds of machines that only come with Ed and vim.

I think outside that case, you've got the correct approach for 2023.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've had Fedora on an old laptop for a while, but I'm trying to reduce the memory usage so I can actually use IntelliJ without it crashing in the first five minutes. I poked around and MATE sounded like it might fit the bill. I installed it, rebooted, and things seem fine. However, I've noticed that I still have KDE Plasma stuff around, for example alt+space brings up the KDE launcher utility, and the task switcher looks like KDE as well. Is this expected since I didn't go full-on with a new spin?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

hooah posted:

I've had Fedora on an old laptop for a while, but I'm trying to reduce the memory usage so I can actually use IntelliJ without it crashing in the first five minutes. I poked around and MATE sounded like it might fit the bill. I installed it, rebooted, and things seem fine. However, I've noticed that I still have KDE Plasma stuff around, for example alt+space brings up the KDE launcher utility, and the task switcher looks like KDE as well. Is this expected since I didn't go full-on with a new spin?
Try
systemctl --user list-units | grep plasma

So like KDE launcher is KRunner, you could uninstall that or disable the service with:
systemctl --user disable plasma-krunner.service

Task switcher is part of kwin, seems like it wouldn't be possible for that to still be running but I dunno.

if MATE is working you could also uninstall whatever the top-level KDE DE metapackage is, and then re-add the KDE apps you liked

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

vim can efficiently gently caress around with git repos and language servers and project search and so forth, too. I don’t know how to make it do these things, but vim is extremely powerful once you spend a few dozen hours more than I have actually focusing on learning it. I speak very basic vim, suitable only for mild config wrangling, but it also starts up real fast which is nice on a lower-power machine.

zhar
May 3, 2019

im learning vim or more accurately neovim. im trying linux from windows for at least partly the same reason (windows continually ruining my day was the major factor. has to be said).

hypothesis: its quicker and easier to get into cool hacker flow programming in neovim in a semi transparent terminal on a tiling window manager on linux listening to phonk than cludging around in some microsoft product

im still a ways off fully testing that hypothesis but i have faith

another reason was that i am absolutely too lazy to learn vsc keyboard shortcuts despite best of intentions when i can use the mouse so i figured this is a good way to remove the temptation

vs code is a business tool for business people and vim is for the hacker artiste, if you will. different strokes etc at the end of the day

a tool like vim also makes you naturally feel superior to people using tools like vscode due to survivorship bias i believe its called

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Klyith posted:

Try
systemctl --user list-units | grep plasma

So like KDE launcher is KRunner, you could uninstall that or disable the service with:
systemctl --user disable plasma-krunner.service

Task switcher is part of kwin, seems like it wouldn't be possible for that to still be running but I dunno.

if MATE is working you could also uninstall whatever the top-level KDE DE metapackage is, and then re-add the KDE apps you liked

Lol removed the metapackage and now I get dumped to the terminal on boot.

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

hooah posted:

The KDE metapackage must include the login manager sddm, try installing another like lightdm and then
code:
systemctl enable --now lightdm

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Voodoo Cafe posted:

The KDE metapackage must include the login manager sddm, try installing another like lightdm and then
code:
systemctl enable --now lightdm

That worked, thanks! I was about ready to flatten and install a new spin.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

zhar posted:

hypothesis: its quicker and easier to get into cool hacker flow programming in neovim in a semi transparent terminal on a tiling window manager on linux listening to phonk than cludging around in some microsoft product

I can tell you from lots of experience that it is not. But I can also advise you that it not helping you hack is a terrible reason to abort your plan to play around with a bunch of silly junk. Playing around with silly junk is what made me the Unix Beardo I am today.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

hooah posted:

Glad you already got it fixed, but uh, whoops! Sorry about that.

Out of curiosity, how did you install MATE desktop? Did you just install and that was it, or did you use the switchdesk tool? Feels like an oversight on fedora's part if their tool to change DE leaves out the display manager and greeter, and then lets you uninstall those.

(If you didn't run switchdesk, I'd run it now just to make sure that anything else that isn't correct gets set.)

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

zhar posted:

a tool like vim also makes you naturally feel superior to people using tools like vscode due to survivorship bias i believe its called

If this is what you're going for, emacs will give you a double dose of it, and acme will give you a quadruple dose!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Klyith posted:

Glad you already got it fixed, but uh, whoops! Sorry about that.

Out of curiosity, how did you install MATE desktop? Did you just install and that was it, or did you use the switchdesk tool? Feels like an oversight on fedora's part if their tool to change DE leaves out the display manager and greeter, and then lets you uninstall those.

(If you didn't run switchdesk, I'd run it now just to make sure that anything else that isn't correct gets set.)

No, I installed it from the MATE project's instructions. I'd find the site, but now my laptop isn't connecting to my wifi anymore. It doesn't help that the only thing under the "Internet and Network" Control Center group is "Network Proxy". Maybe I will reinstall after all.

Edit: restarting fixed the wifi connection (for now, at least).

hooah fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 9, 2023

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Nitrousoxide posted:

There has never been a middle ground I've needed between nano and a full graphical IDE like Visual Studio Code.
With VSC can you push a hot fix from your phone over lovely Internet?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Kinda speaking of Wayland, I got a Debian Sid machine (it's a very uncritical machine) that I use to drive my projector, basically a RetroArch/jellyfin/Netflix machine.

I use KDE for it just because I like KDE, but I really would like something more appropriate for launching programs from a couch on a big rear end screen without having to go full on Kodi or something. I don't actually really like Kodi.

Despite kde and Nvidia I decided to jump over to Wayland from x. X was always an rear end about setting the resolution and refresh rate correctly on the projector, but with Wayland it works really well.

But the problem is, I was using kde connect from my phone to use it from my couch. The mouse in kde connect works, but not the keyboard. I googled it and it's a known issue.... From a couple years ago.

Is there an alternative to kde connect that can let me use my phone as a keyboard that also works in Wayland? I'm worried this is gonna be one of those things that can't be done just because of the way Wayland works but it's actually kind of important, no one wants to have to get up from the couch and walk over to a keyboard just to type "stranger things"

And same for the de, is there a de specifically aimed at this sort of use/a way someone's made kde more appropriate for it that I can copy?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

BrainDance posted:

Is there an alternative to kde connect that can let me use my phone as a keyboard that also works in Wayland? I'm worried this is gonna be one of those things that can't be done just because of the way Wayland works but it's actually kind of important, no one wants to have to get up from the couch and walk over to a keyboard just to type "stranger things"

And same for the de, is there a de specifically aimed at this sort of use/a way someone's made kde more appropriate for it that I can copy?

Why not buy one of those tiny wireless keyboard/mouse doodads? They're about the size of a remote and don't need fancy tricks to send keystrokes and mouse events.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

cruft posted:

Why not buy one of those tiny wireless keyboard/mouse doodads? They're about the size of a remote and don't need fancy tricks to send keystrokes and mouse events.

I do have one, but I also have another computer connected to the projector, it's a Windows machine with a 4090 that I use for games and I use that device for that computer.

What I do for that is, I run a bunch of cables up into my ceiling and then back down into that room (this isn't important I just like talking about it),

one usb3 over fiber thing because it needs to be really low latency for VR, but this ones not backwards compatible with USB2 because that's a thing you have to pay more for when you're doing it over fiber, some cat6, HDMI over fiber, and another active usb3 cable that goes to a bluetooth dongle that I use to connect some controllers/a keyboard with a trackpad built into it.

Having another keyboard/mouse in there is just annoying, one more device for the table, and I worry about having multiple bluetooth devices already in there. I feel like there are problems with that room that already cause interference with bluetooth for some reason, we had an electrician out to check for stuff but I don't think it's gonna be something I get fixed. And so, the easiest solution was kde connect, because it's not like I have to use the keyboard very often for that computer.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

cruft posted:

I have a Bluetooth keyboard with a trackpad for mouse hooked up to a RPi 0w with no trouble. It is smaller than my Sony universal remote. If it works out of the box on Raspian I’m sure it’ll work on a real Linux box.

Fake edit:

https://dl.wish.com/i29uA
:boom:

Real edit:
Can’t you hook the tiny keyboard to some sort of switch doodad to control two different boxes with just one device?

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 10, 2023

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Man I wish that were Bluetooth.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

BrainDance posted:

Kinda speaking of Wayland, I got a Debian Sid machine (it's a very uncritical machine) that I use to drive my projector, basically a RetroArch/jellyfin/Netflix machine.

I use KDE for it just because I like KDE, but I really would like something more appropriate for launching programs from a couch on a big rear end screen without having to go full on Kodi or something. I don't actually really like Kodi.

Despite kde and Nvidia I decided to jump over to Wayland from x. X was always an rear end about setting the resolution and refresh rate correctly on the projector, but with Wayland it works really well.

But the problem is, I was using kde connect from my phone to use it from my couch. The mouse in kde connect works, but not the keyboard. I googled it and it's a known issue.... From a couple years ago.

Plasma bigscreen?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Subjunctive posted:

Man I wish that were Bluetooth.

They make’em, though! Mine is Bluetooth but is old enough that the bt “receiver” is a tiny usb dongle-thingee. Unless you mean a newer version that is dongle-less or something? I posted that link mainly for the picture, though…it is the exact same form-factor as mine

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

DerekSmartymans posted:

They make’em, though! Mine is Bluetooth but is old enough that the bt “receiver” is a tiny usb dongle-thingee. Unless you mean a newer version that is dongle-less or something? I posted that link mainly for the picture, though…it is the exact same form-factor as mine

Yeah, I don’t want to have to juggle a dongle and USB C-A adapter to keyboard on my Steam Deck.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

DerekSmartymans posted:

Real edit:
Can’t you hook the tiny keyboard to some sort of switch doodad to control two different boxes with just one device?

If the doodad works just like that, just flick a switch and it changes which device it's plugged into, then that genuinely might be the best option and solve other problems too.

Buck Turgidson posted:

Plasma bigscreen?

Did not know that was a thing, but it looks like it might be exactly what I need, thanks

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I use KDE Connect all the time, including on my Windows installs, but none of my Linux installs are using Wayland. Maybe drop a bug report with KDE Connect?

I also have one of these, although right now all versions on Newegg look stupidly overpriced: https://www.newegg.com/p/2AM-01H1-0...&quicklink=true

I've had mine for at least 6 years or so, and it looks identical to the one I linked and a few other listings that appear to be the same device. It's worked fine on every machine I've paired it to, and it's super small and light. But I wouldn't pay $40 for one.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I use vi/vim because that's muscle memory.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
You don't actually have to use vim, just tell everyone that you do.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

now I’m watching neovim setup videos, great

zhar
May 3, 2019

Subjunctive posted:

now I’m watching neovim setup videos, great

if you're interested in giving it a go, if it's of interest after an admittedly short amount of research i went with this kickstart script, i didn't want some beginner package with a million plugins for who knows what but at the same time i dont know what the essential plugins are or how to use them so this serves as a baseline to build on and quick reference. its from a neovim "core team" member too so i figure they know what they're doing.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

zhar posted:

if you're interested in giving it a go, if it's of interest after an admittedly short amount of research i went with this kickstart script, i didn't want some beginner package with a million plugins for who knows what but at the same time i dont know what the essential plugins are or how to use them so this serves as a baseline to build on and quick reference. its from a neovim "core team" member too so i figure they know what they're doing.

cool, I’ll take a look. I was watching chris@machine’s neovim-as-IDE setup series, but what I think I really need is to build up my mental model of things like registers and motions and the other vim fundamentals.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I love using (n)vi(m) for small edits to config files and shellscripts, but really dislike the extension and modding ecosystem.
The great thing about vi is that I can start it while sshing to a machine I have never used before and do some amazingly powerfull things quickly without installing extras.
Turing it into a ide always felt like a terrible idea. With those scripts being inconsistently documented and maintained and becoming useless due to me losing my memory and them losing support for new versions after a few months time.
And if I write something myself the problems are even worse.
And for the config files I always question if it is really worth it to install your mods when editing something on a random machine.

Though vim's fold system is actually amazing, and I always miss it whenever I try a new ide.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I use KDE Connect all the time, including on my Windows installs, but none of my Linux installs are using Wayland. Maybe drop a bug report with KDE Connect?

Long since reported, and apparently will be fixed in KDE Connect 23.04 in the near-ish future. So BrainDance, you also have the option to just deal with the annoyance for a while, rather than buying a wireless keyboard or whatever.

:words:

Wayland is the problem: input isolation between clients means you can't send keystrokes the easy hack way of just forcefully grabbing or faking keyboard events. I've dug into the history of this because autohotkey was something I did a lot of stuff with on windows, and I wanted to figure out the dire state of macro & keyboard stuff here.

The Wayland people weren't dumb, they knew that virtual keyboards & touchscreens were a thing. Wayland has a protocol for one client sending input to another. Unfortunately, both gnome and KDE failed to implement it right away. Gnome decided to do their own different thing, with hookers and blow. Then KDE wanted a v2 of the protocol to get upstreamed in wayland before they did anything. Then wlroots implemented v1, but also wanted to add a separate (simpler?) dedicated virtual-keyboard protocol, which got implemented and then removed when the wayland people decided it wasn't a good idea. So everything was/is a huge mess. From what I can figure out, things are slowly getting de-conflicted and new versions of the protocols are being made that synthesize all the features everyone wants. But it's a slow process because all of this is *also* tied up with supporting every language and input system possible worldwide.

And even though the mess is getting sorted out, it's much harder to make apps that interact with input versus the easy hack of grabbing keyboard. It seems that an alternate method that some people are doing is to have a dang X portal so they can do it the oldskool way.

:words:

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

i installed pyradio, tried to launch it, command not found. ai says "there may be a problem with your system's PATH" should i try fixing that first? it could be anything. i'm in the correct folder using the ai's instructions and everything's spelled right

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

path problems are among the few linux problems where rebooting sometimes helps.
Otherwise you have to tell us which instructions you actually are following before we can help.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

VictualSquid posted:

path problems are among the few linux problems where rebooting sometimes helps.
Otherwise you have to tell us which instructions you actually are following before we can help.

yep. what i'm seeing now is that the OS doesn't always see new folders. last time i used a "touch" command to fix that. what do i do "touch /home/pyradio/*"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Mescal posted:

yep. what i'm seeing now is that the OS doesn't always see new folders. last time i used a "touch" command to fix that. what do i do "touch /home/pyradio/*"?

I still have no idea what you are even trying to do. But, probably not.