Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
The main gotcha I see is that the iPhone 12 only has 64GB of storage which is really tiny, and the iPhone 13 will cost you $180 at $5x36 payments.

I would like to upgrade my daughter’s iPhone 8 for cheap, but if I have to lock in a 36 month upgrade, I want a newer phone with more storage for “free”. I think the last upgrade spoiled me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
We'd be upgrading from a 64GB iPhone X... which we'll be trading in!

Right now, the amount of credit is larger than the cost of the phone. Will that just show up as additional credits on a bill?

Either way, I think I'm gonna press the button and get my gal this phone!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Duckman2008, not sure if you know the answer to this, but I keep seeing the basic 300mbps FIOS being advertised for $25/mo if you have an unlimited 5G plan. I have a Do More plan and pay $30/mo for FIOS due to discounts that have "no current expiration", but the $25/mo promo is only valid for 2 years. Assuming that price resets to something higher, do you know if I'll be better off just keeping my current plan, or is it likely that would also be subject to higher pricing? Not sure how these kinds of things work.

FWIW, I haven't seen a price increase in 4 years of FIOS. It's actually gone down; originally it was $40/mo (no taxes or fees), dropped to $35 at some point, and is now $30/mo due to also have wireless.

edit: Just had a lovely 30 min chat with a CSR. Apparently the current promo is part of the new Mix & Match 3.0 promotion system which applies the discount to your 2nd line of service. I'm on Mix & Match 2.0 which splits the discount across both lines, so there would be no change to my total cost since it would be one $10 discount on my 2nd line of service (wireless) as opposed to $5 + $5 on both. Also apparently my base price would've increased from $50 to $60? That part didn't make much sense but whatever. I would get a guarantee of no price increase for 2 years on internet, but seeing as my rate decreased by $5 in July 2020, that's not the end of the world since I'm guessing the price guarantee would preclude a decrease. I wonder if that was due to Starry Internet coming to my area around that same time.

We did manage to do one thing, which is that although I'm on a 200mbps plan with real world speeds of 300mbps, they officially bumped me up to a 300mbps plan. Whether that means I'll now get 400mbps real world, I guess we'll see in an hour or so.

edit2: Speeds did not improve. Oh well.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 24, 2023

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

That was easy! Worked the way you would hope and expect. Backed up old phone, turned off necessary services, activated and restored new phone, erased old phone. Dropping it at UPS tonight and that’s all she wrote.

Thanks duckman for helping us get setup when we originally switched. It’s been a positive experience, and my gal has had a run of bad news/luck so this was a big win for us!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Boywhiz88 posted:

That was easy! Worked the way you would hope and expect. Backed up old phone, turned off necessary services, activated and restored new phone, erased old phone. Dropping it at UPS tonight and that’s all she wrote.

Thanks duckman for helping us get setup when we originally switched. It’s been a positive experience, and my gal has had a run of bad news/luck so this was a big win for us!

Hell yeah, super happy to hear this !

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Hey I have one more question about international use. If I sign up for the international monthly plan, it says I get 250 talk minutes. Do incoming calls count towards those minutes?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Hey I have one more question about international use. If I sign up for the international monthly plan, it says I get 250 talk minutes. Do incoming calls count towards those minutes?

Yes both incoming and outgoing.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Ok, thanks.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah , to add to it, if you’re there more than like, 10-14 days I probably would recommend a local SIM.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yeah except for reasons my wife needs to be easily reachable at her current phone number.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Yeah except for reasons my wife needs to be easily reachable at her current phone number.

Totally. Is her phone dial SIM capable ? You can always dual SIM to balance it out ?

Also, if she is taking a lot of calls, it’s unlimited calling for the $10 a day often, but obviously that adds up.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yeah she’s got an iPhone 13, and a physical Verizon SIM. So something can be worked out.

Honestly the 250 minutes will almost certainly be enough, I’m just trying to have a plan B ready so if I need one I don’t have to think of one on the fly.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I've been having delayed text messages the past few weeks. Its a big deal when I'm trying to get two factor authentication codes sent to me. I've disabled RCS "Chat Features" but it hasn't made a difference. I don't know if this is a phone issue, I have a Pixel 6 Pro, but my wife is also having the same issues with texts and she's also on a Pixel 6 Pro. We haven't had this issue in the past - I've only been on Verizon for 6 months, but she's been on Verizon forever. Turning data off and back on gets me a flood of texts that seem to have been waiting somewhere. Any ideas?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FogHelmut posted:

I've been having delayed text messages the past few weeks. Its a big deal when I'm trying to get two factor authentication codes sent to me. I've disabled RCS "Chat Features" but it hasn't made a difference. I don't know if this is a phone issue, I have a Pixel 6 Pro, but my wife is also having the same issues with texts and she's also on a Pixel 6 Pro. We haven't had this issue in the past - I've only been on Verizon for 6 months, but she's been on Verizon forever. Turning data off and back on gets me a flood of texts that seem to have been waiting somewhere. Any ideas?

Legit no idea. Best I got is call care and ask for tech support: (800) 392-0717 , option 0.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

FogHelmut posted:

I just ran into this same situation. But it was on a Galaxy S10e. The drat thing wont receive text short codes 90% of the time and then rebooting or toggling airplane makes a flood of texts come in. I have no idea what is going on as well.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Hell yeah, super happy to hear this !

And now we are actual saving money having upgraded due to how the cost vs trade-in value worked out. Heck yeah!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Legit no idea. Best I got is call care and ask for tech support: (800) 392-0717 , option 0.

redeyes posted:

I just ran into this same situation. But it was on a Galaxy S10e. The drat thing wont receive text short codes 90% of the time and then rebooting or toggling airplane makes a flood of texts come in. I have no idea what is going on as well.

It just started working normal again Monday morning. I have no idea.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Ah ok. Ill see if anything has changed. Thanks man.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I once again work for Verizon so I can pop in to answer questions again too (and if you need to add a line let me know :) )

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kingcobweb posted:

I once again work for Verizon so I can pop in to answer questions again too (and if you need to add a line let me know :) )

Heck yeah ! Obviously you can keep this in general , but are you in retail or a different department ?

A. Even I was “selling” I’m not here to take everything , and B. Im not selling at the moment anyway. Good to have a second person to help answer questions.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Heck yeah ! Obviously you can keep this in general , but are you in retail or a different department ?

A. Even I was “selling” I’m not here to take everything , and B. Im not selling at the moment anyway. Good to have a second person to help answer questions.

Retail, Seattle

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kingcobweb posted:

Retail, Seattle

* checks article * makes sense!

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:
Just in the interest of time going to post this as it is exactly what I am experiencing currently:

https://www.reddit.com/comments/12gmjyz?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf&utm_content=1&utm_term=15

Upgraded from a 12 mini to a 13 mini. I can get data 5G / UW / LTE. No sms or carrier calling in or out. Pending ticket as of Thursday, calling in tomorrow morning via Skype to try and see if there’s any new information.

Everyone doesn’t have an iPhone. Thankfully iMessage and FaceTime run on data but this is becoming very problematic. Can’t re auth 2 form via text cause no sms. Has anyone experienced anything similar to the OP/ myself? I’ve even done a phone swap.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

cuedotcom posted:

Just in the interest of time going to post this as it is exactly what I am experiencing currently:

https://www.reddit.com/comments/12gmjyz?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf&utm_content=1&utm_term=15

Upgraded from a 12 mini to a 13 mini. I can get data 5G / UW / LTE. No sms or carrier calling in or out. Pending ticket as of Thursday, calling in tomorrow morning via Skype to try and see if there’s any new information.

Everyone doesn’t have an iPhone. Thankfully iMessage and FaceTime run on data but this is becoming very problematic. Can’t re auth 2 form via text cause no sms. Has anyone experienced anything similar to the OP/ myself? I’ve even done a phone swap.

Legit no idea and at that point out of my league. It does very much read system issue, which is not an excuse but it sounds like something that Verizon and Verizon tech has to resolve on their end. Im pretty conservative on saying it’s def a carrier problem, but that’s what it reads.

Other than wait and follow up I unfortunately don’t have an answer.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

Ok so after dealing with Verizon T2 and whatever is over that, I have now been transferred to Apple and upgraded to a senior Apple supervisor. While literally on the phone with her, all of these problems resolved and broke themselves while she could hear the calls go from calling out to call failed.

I am going on 4 hours and now must abandon the process to get to work.

I’m literally going crazy.

I am now having issues with iMessage and FaceTime in addition to the op issue.

Wild.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

Update. After a week of banging my face against the wall and dozens of hours of customer service calls/store visits I discovered a partial remedy by complete accident at 2 am.

esim needs to be provisioned. Remove physical sim. Turn on airplane mode, and make sure Wi-Fi is enabled when disabling airplane. For some reason the phone needs Wi-Fi to reconnect to the voice portion of the network, which I believe runs through LTE. Disabling airplane mode without Wi-Fi , you will have data access like normal but carrier calls and sms will resume failing.

This has to be a bug. There’s no reason the phone should need Wi-Fi to establish connection to the voice only pipeline of LTE. Doubly so considering data functions normally. Considering this issue has followed me between two devices it must be either specific to the mini or something with current Verizon version and or ios version.

Apple ran multiple diagnostics and found no hardware anomalies.

I’m also not convinced this could be tied to a setting on the iPhone or Verizon provisioning.

Settings > Cellular > Turn on this line.

Something in there. As this is the eSim portion of the cellular settings.

Good news is I know what to do if I lose cellular service going forward. Bad news is getting off a plane may cause issues if I can’t reconnect to voice without hunting down Wi-Fi. Public Wi-Fi is cancer. I pay for expensive pocket internet for a reason.

Verizon cs also credited my account for the days my phone was malfunctioning. Which makes up for the vz rep I was speaking with last night who just flat out hung up on me.

I have an apple engineering ticket that I’m going to also address with this info and have also shared it with the Verizon t2 I spoke with yesterday.

If anyone else experiences this issue I hope this information helps. A week without a working phone number is a hell I wish on no one.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Jesus they didn’t tell you that ? eSIM can require Wi-Fi to fully provision. The what’s and why’s I don’t know, it that is def a thing.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

eSim still needs wifi after losing signal / airplane mode? This is now the issue. If that’s the case then this is really stupid.

Now that eSim has been whitelisted does that mean it bumped the physical sim ? Or would I be able to swap it back and attempt to use the physical sim over the eSim. Or will that gently caress this all up

e2: physical sim gives data but no voice. eSim def needs Wi-Fi every time you disconnect completely, to correctly reprovision smgdh

I just don’t understand why Verizon would lock voice only

cuedotcom fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 12, 2023

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

cuedotcom posted:

eSim still needs wifi after losing signal / airplane mode? This is now the issue. If that’s the case then this is really stupid.

Now that eSim has been whitelisted does that mean it bumped the physical sim ? Or would I be able to swap it back and attempt to use the physical sim over the eSim. Or will that gently caress this all up

e2: physical sim gives data but no voice. eSim def needs Wi-Fi every time you disconnect completely, to correctly reprovision smgdh

I just don’t understand why Verizon would lock voice only

No, I was saying eSIM can need Wi-Fi one time to be programmed. Afterwards no need for Wi-Fi.

I’m using eSIM myself (I have a 14 Pro) and for me it just functions normally.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Hey there, quick question:

I just got a new phone, and I'm trying to set it up. It's asking for a confirmation code sent to my old phone, which I've entered. However, once I enter it, it asks for a "Verizon PIN", which I'm not familiar with.

I'm on a family plan with my brothers, mom, and stepdad. Nobody seems to know what this PIN is, except maybe my stepdad who is out of town.

Do I have any other recourse?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Annath posted:

Hey there, quick question:

I just got a new phone, and I'm trying to set it up. It's asking for a confirmation code sent to my old phone, which I've entered. However, once I enter it, it asks for a "Verizon PIN", which I'm not familiar with.

I'm on a family plan with my brothers, mom, and stepdad. Nobody seems to know what this PIN is, except maybe my stepdad who is out of town.

Do I have any other recourse?

From the Verizon app, account settings -> manage account PIN

If the account manager can’t use the app then one of y’all can go into a retail store. Takes two minutes to reset

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

kingcobweb posted:

From the Verizon app, account settings -> manage account PIN

If the account manager can’t use the app then one of y’all can go into a retail store. Takes two minutes to reset

Hmm, the Verizon App didn't like my login, and didn't like the billing zip code I entered trying to reset the password.

I guess I'll just wait til my stepdad can call me back after work.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Staying at a hotel on the Virginia Beach oceanfront. When I'm out on my balcony I get full bars of 5GUW on my Pixel 5 and 2+ gigabit downstream.

Coming inside the room, closing the door, and drawing the blinds?

Two "bars" of 4G LTE.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Staying at a hotel on the Virginia Beach oceanfront. When I'm out on my balcony I get full bars of 5GUW on my Pixel 5 and 2+ gigabit downstream.

Two "bars" of 4G LTE.

I'm pretty sure that the 5GUW is the one that can't penetrate buildings for poo poo, right?

So inside you'd only get whatever 4G LTE coverage is available.

Although it's funny that VA Beach only has 2 bars - I'm in rural Caroline County right now, and I have 4 bars of 4G LTE.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Two "bars" of 4G LTE.

Yep. Building penetration on current 5G technology is pretty rough. I'm hoping they'll eventually be able to phase out some of the LTE that runs on 700MHz and get it running there, which should help out a lot.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've gotten gas, had 5GUW while standing outside my car, which dropped to LTE when I got back in. It's kind of hilarious tbh.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Endless Mike posted:

I've gotten gas, had 5GUW while standing outside my car, which dropped to LTE when I got back in. It's kind of hilarious tbh.

Yeah. I had picked up the Note 10 Plus 5G a few years ago specifically for the 5G, only to find out that it ONLY supports the 5GUW when I called Verizon asking why my 5G phone with a 5G SIM was only getting 4GLTE :v:

I got my new Galaxy S23 Ultra activated and all set up though. Now I just gotta get a case once I get paid.

I like the look of the UAG Monarch Pro, but it's freaking $99.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Annath posted:

I'm pretty sure that the 5GUW is the one that can't penetrate buildings for poo poo, right?

So inside you'd only get whatever 4G LTE coverage is available.

Although it's funny that VA Beach only has 2 bars - I'm in rural Caroline County right now, and I have 4 bars of 4G LTE.

So, yes and no.

4G: 700 MHz , great job penetrating buildings 10-100mb speeds

5G UW: there’s 2:

3500: does ok ish at penetrating buildings , 100-300mb speed . This is C Band, the frequency that had the airport fight thing

5500: terrible at building penetration, 1,000MB+ download speeds. You basically only see this in cities.

If you see 5G Is, it’s almost always C Band now unless you’re in a city. C Band def still isn’t amazing at building penetration.

Verizon has been rolling out major expansions of C Band the last few months. Can’t speak to elsewhere, but it’s noticeable in the St. Louis area.

Annath posted:

Yeah. I had picked up the Note 10 Plus 5G a few years ago specifically for the 5G, only to find out that it ONLY supports the 5GUW when I called Verizon asking why my 5G phone with a 5G SIM was only getting 4GLTE :v:

At the time Verizon was desperate to advertise 5G and C Band was a few years away. This was one of the worst false marketing they’ve done for the record, I was really mad at the time that they were advertising it that way.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Duckman2008 posted:

So, yes and no.

4G: 700 MHz , great job penetrating buildings 10-100mb speeds

5G UW: there’s 2:

3500: does ok ish at penetrating buildings , 100-300mb speed . This is C Band, the frequency that had the airport fight thing

5500: terrible at building penetration, 1,000MB+ download speeds. You basically only see this in cities.

If you see 5G Is, it’s almost always C Band now unless you’re in a city. C Band def still isn’t amazing at building penetration.

Verizon has been rolling out major expansions of C Band the last few months. Can’t speak to elsewhere, but it’s noticeable in the St. Louis area.

Does the network icon in the top bar change to differentiate between 3500 and 5500?

I'm sure I don't have 5500 in my town, where the icon just says "5G", but I go to Richmond, VA and Washington DC semi-often, and I'm pretty sure both have some amount of 5500 coverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Annath posted:

Does the network icon in the top bar change to differentiate between 3500 and 5500?

I'm sure I don't have 5500 in my town, where the icon just says "5G", but I go to Richmond, VA and Washington DC semi-often, and I'm pretty sure both have some amount of 5500 coverage.

No, the only way to know is run a speed test and see if it’s way over 300. It’s really annoying.

You can check the coverage map and if you look at the street level in say DC it’ll show you where you should expect to (possibly) see the 5500.