Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

What kind of grass do you have?

I've done two fall over-seedings with 90% TTTF and 10% KBG. The grass that's there is a horrible mix of whatever trash the previous owners seeded, plus whatever blows in from the adjacent golf course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Not in the panhandle but the “North Texas” area, but I’d stick a your mileage may vary on adding sand to clay. I do it all the time for backfilling rocks(limestone) and leveling and haven’t had any issues with compaction/concrete/etc.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Is it kosher to hit up an ag extension that's not in your county? I live in Brooklyn and wanted to hit up Cornell for clover lawn advice/resources. This is the chapter in my city, not even county and there is zero information about horticulture! NYC is five counties and not all of them are wall to wall skyscrapers.

Next door Nassau County's extension looks much more familiar to my home county's.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
If I want to nuke all of the vegetation in my backyard (complete renovation - adding a garage and some other stuff), should I just get some glyphosate and go hog wild?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SubponticatePoster posted:

If I want to nuke all of the vegetation in my backyard (complete renovation - adding a garage and some other stuff), should I just get some glyphosate and go hog wild?

Probably yes, but that depends on the what vegetation, location, and proper application techniques at the correct times.

It's not a substitute for a miniex or skid steer, which is often much more useful as a first past at a "remove everything".

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
My house is built perpendicular on a hillside and has a mossy stone trench on one side meant to keep the grade away from the foundation. (Picture below.) Someone put some big rocks in the trench and kinda lined the top but I'm wondering what I can do to blend the trench into the landscape or hide it in some way. Can i put a thin layer of gravel or decorative stone in there? Or what are some other options?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Motronic posted:

Probably yes, but that depends on the what vegetation, location, and proper application techniques at the correct times.

It's not a substitute for a miniex or skid steer, which is often much more useful as a first past at a "remove everything".
It's a mix of "whatever the hell decided to grow here;" I've got some wild cereal rye, crabgrass, even a the odd tulip and daffodil that came from gently caress-knows-where (I have a flowerbed on the side of the house but these are rogues and don't match my other varieties). The plan is to put in a concrete pad for the garage and RV parking plus some asphalt to connect the existing driveway to the garage. Up by the house I'm installing a flagstone patio, but that leaves about a 30x40 area of open ground. Ideally I'd like to put some raised gardening beds in and put down some native wildflowers and grasses at the perimeter for the pollinators and birds but that can wait until later so it doesn't need to be seed-ready any time soon. I'm fine with multiple treatments if that's what's required. I can also get my hands on a tiller so spraying/turning over/respraying is an option.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

Motronic posted:

My experience with glyphosphate is not to over concentrate it. If it browns off everything "too" quickly, some of the hardier stuff will come back because it still has to let the rest of the plant die while keeping the green off.

Got some planting done between showers over the weekend. This little patio area is just a dollar weed hellscape. I ripped up a pile of those shoots with the landscape rake then overseeded/pooped the hell out of it.

Raked a new section to start planting once everything close by has taken hold satisfactorily. So many little sticks and roots. Bonus doggo in her little Carhartt coat if you zoom in :3:

As good as that little Agitator I ordered for the Newer Spreader is https://newerspreader.com/ Don't put a bunch of discarded stringy spray field coastal hay in one like wife did this morning. Unless you want to be picking strands of this stuff out that's been endlessly thrashed in horseshit.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Got a couple spots in my backyard zoysia that are flummoxing me. Basically it's getting "leggy" -- it's growing out long stolons but not rooting. It's a very different texture than the rest of the yard. Many of the stolons look dead but a good number of them have active green growth at the far end. These pics are after I used a leaf rake to scratch up the looser dead stuff and mowed over it.

There is some thatch underneath but it doesn't seem that bad. Maybe half an inch, if that. What should I be investigating here? I'm assuming compaction and/or insufficient water, so I plan to core aerate and see how much water ends up in these spots when the sprinklers run. Just wondering if there is anything else I should be looking at right off the bat. I'm willing to pick up a thatch rake too, just don't want to tear up the live stuff too badly.

I think the genesis of this is the same as all the other problems with the yard - bare minimum maintenance for many years, followed by 6 months of vacancy during which the owners did literally nothing. Not even mow. Said 6 months included a crazy hot summer with almost no rain.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Not sure if this is the right thread but figured I'd just post.

We bought our house about a year and a half ago, first home, and I feel like we're still beginners at this homeowner thing. We have a very small back yard (maybe 300 square feet total) and part of it has pavers with pebbles in between that the previous owners installed and it's where we have our patio furniture. Looks nice but we have a giant cedar tree in the back that drops needles constantly, so it builds up quickly. What's the best way to clean the needles up from the pebbles?

I've googled this issue many times, watched a bunch of YouTube videos. We've dug them out by hand (ouch), used a broom (sweeps up pebbles too), and bought a combination leaf vacuum/blower which seems to work the best so far but isn't perfect. Is there some other method I'm missing? Will I just have to deal with some amount of cedar needles stuck in the pebbles?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

Will I just have to deal with some amount of cedar needles stuck in the pebbles?

Yes. This is an outside space. It can't be reasonably kept to the standards of an inside space.

A leaf blower is your best bet, and using one frequently so the needles don't get rained on/rot into the stone is the most effective way.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Motronic posted:

Yes. This is an outside space. It can't be reasonably kept to the standards of an inside space.

A leaf blower is your best bet, and using one frequently so the needles don't get rained on/rot into the stone is the most effective way.

Thanks - I think knowing that there's only so much I can do is fine, I just wasn't sure if there was something I was missing.

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016

Eason the Fifth posted:

My house is built perpendicular on a hillside and has a mossy stone trench on one side meant to keep the grade away from the foundation. (Picture below.) Someone put some big rocks in the trench and kinda lined the top but I'm wondering what I can do to blend the trench into the landscape or hide it in some way. Can i put a thin layer of gravel or decorative stone in there? Or what are some other options?

The moss looks great I’m not sure what you want to fix. You could do a some more rocks to give it a natural stream look. Or raise the level of the trench visually by planting some groundcover, something like a sedge or phlox. If you do plant groundcover try to stay away from invasives like ivy and pachysandra.

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

Thanks - I think knowing that there's only so much I can do is fine, I just wasn't sure if there was something I was missing.

Our neighbor has had decent success with landscape glue for their white pea gravel. That would make easier to aggressively blow the needles away. Something to consider if you want a more manicured look.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Idea 💡

What if I purchase the largest tarpaulin I can and use it to cover sections of my lawn that are thick with weeds. The idea being the tarpaulin would block the sun and kill everything under it except for the hardiest of common Bermuda grass.

Feasibility?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

That's called solarizing and it works, but it might take a little while and I don't know if it would spare your grass.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

lite_sleepr posted:

Idea 💡

What if I purchase the largest tarpaulin I can and use it to cover sections of my lawn that are thick with weeds. The idea being the tarpaulin would block the sun and kill everything under it except for the hardiest of common Bermuda grass.

Feasibility?
If you want to do this use clear plastic like thick painter’s plastic. It lets more light in and gets things hotter.

Buuuut IME with it, it will kill grass first and weeds last and the first things to grow there again will be weed seeds.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

ohhyeah posted:

Our neighbor has had decent success with landscape glue for their white pea gravel. That would make easier to aggressively blow the needles away. Something to consider if you want a more manicured look.

Thanks, I'll look, that's an interesting thought. I'm not really concerned about a manicured look per say, it's more that the cedar tree drops needles at such a rate that if I don't tackle it for two weeks (rain, no time, etc) that it's just a full carpet of needles.

And we have had an arborist come out to make sure the trees are healthy.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

lite_sleepr posted:

Idea 💡

Feasibility?

When this is done in the context of conservation areas it's black plastic and it's left down for a year. Black is important because you're not just blocking light but trying to cook the remaining weed seeds.

Most of the people involved with this kind of work at my ag extension/PSU seem to agree it's not a very good method and the plastic mess has a greater environmental impact than simply applying glyphosate a couple of times.

Since you're trying to get rid of weeds why don't you just use the appropriate thing for that. Depending on the weeds that's going to look a lot like 2,4-D or a mix like Surge or Crossbow.

If those have too much environmental impact for you then the only real option is to stop trying to grow a monoculture/lawn as it will always require this type of periodic maintenance.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 13, 2023

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
GOt that mole trap, put it in a few of what I am pretty sure are the mole trails...nothing so far. Been like 5 days, and been moving it to a new "trail"/area every day.

Maybe the moles just aren't awake/active yet from their hibernation/torpor?

Either way, in the meantime, what's the best way to "smoosh" down everything?

I figured, whether the moles just aren't awake yet, or they moved on or died out... I still need to tamp down/smooth out the lawn.
Rent a roller again? Or can I use one of those manual "tampers" like this:

Cause I've already got one of those, so it saves me like a 40 minute round-trip to home depot and the $20 (plus gas money) to rent it.

And just do it relatively gently just to pack down the mole trails and mounds?

And then if they DO become active again, I can at least see the new trails that are active/in use and not put my trap in last year's tunnels.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Rain, snow and mowing should tamp them down naturally. If a trap doesn’t spring within a day or two, move it.

One mole can cover a huge area and they’re constantly moving to keep up with their fast metabolism.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Motronic posted:

When this is done in the context of conservation areas it's black plastic and it's left down for a year. Black is important because you're not just blocking light but trying to cook the remaining weed seeds.

Most of the people involved with this kind of work at my ag extension/PSU seem to agree it's not a very good method and the plastic mess has a greater environmental impact than simply applying glyphosate a couple of times.

Since you're trying to get rid of weeds why don't you just use the appropriate thing for that. Depending on the weeds that's going to look a lot like 2,4-D or a mix like Surge or Crossbow.

If those have too much environmental impact for you then the only real option is to stop trying to grow a monoculture/lawn as it will always require this type of periodic maintenance.

I have no idea what kind of weeds are growing, or what to use for them.

I'm guess it's crab grass, dallisgrass, nutsedge, and some cover/dandelions

There are so many herbicides out there like drive, dimension, remedy, barricade, etc. And it's just a confusing expensive mess.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 13, 2023

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

lite_sleepr posted:

I have no idea what kind of weeds are growing, or what to use for them.

I'm guess it's crab grass, dallisgrass, nutsedge, and some cover/dandelions

There are so many herbicides out there like drive, dimension, remedy, barricade, etc. And it's just a confusing expensive mess.
If you have Bermuda I assume you’re in the south somewhere. The general ‘southern grass’ rules from Felder Rushing are different from mowing the cool-season grasses that most lawncare advice is for.

Mow high. Whatever the highest setting your mower has is, probably use that. 4-4.5” is great. This helps the grass outcompete and shade out the weeds.

Water occasionally but deeply. This encourages the grass to grow deeper roots and makes it more drought tolerant and again, better able to compete against weeds. It’s much better to run your sprinklers once a week for an hour than to run them 5x week for 15 minutes. Depending on where you are, you may never need to water. Here on the gulf coast, I water maybe twice a year when it gets real dry in may/June and then in September/October when it dries out again.

Ideally, don’t use a weed and feed. Instead, use a pre-emergent in late winter/early spring. (If you want) Fertilize in the spring when the grass starts to green up and start growing. But I f you’re lazy like me, use weed and feed when you would fertilize. It’s fine. If you can do the separate pre-emergent, that’s better as it will prevent a lot of the early spring weeds from getting started.

Don’t overseed with ryegrass in the winter unless you just really love mowing. It also really damages your lawn IME. It’s big and strong in the spring when the Bermuda grass needs to get going and the ryegrass will outcompete it in the critical early growth period. My neighbor always does his and gets a strip of ryegrass seed in the edge of my grass and that strip always looks a ton worse even though I mow and fertilize it just like the rest of the yard.

Most importantly though, just mow what grows. If it’s green, it’s fine! Half my backyard is really nice St. Augustine but half is a mix of st. Augustine and creeping Charlie because it’s shady and the st. Augustine doesn’t do as well in the shade. I just mow the creeping Charlie and it looks fine from my kitchen window, even if it doesn’t look perfect from 5’ away.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I'm in North Texas. 2 hours from DFW. I'm told that I have common Bermuda. Which sucks, I'd rather have zoysia, so perhaps once I have the weeds under control and I learn a little bit more I will see about trying to replace the Bermuda with zoysia by overseeding zoysia

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

lite_sleepr posted:

I'm in North Texas. 2 hours from DFW. I'm told that I have common Bermuda. Which sucks, I'd rather have zoysia, so perhaps once I have the weeds under control and I learn a little bit more I will see about trying to replace the Bermuda with zoysia by overseeding zoysia

Zoysia doesn't seed. It's planted as plugs.

So if you want to do that, just do that. The weeds will get nuked along with the bermuda in the process or prepping the site for plugging.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I believe you're thinking of St. Augustine. Zoysia definitely seeds.

I'm looking into just identifying the kinds of weeds I have, and getting selective herbicides to target them. Being that this is the north of TX, they all look like crabgrass, couchgrass, dallisgrass, and nutsedge. Maybe some clover too. I should get my soil analysis back from A&M extension service this Monday, so I can get fertilizers I actually need.

I need to dethatch my lawn because it's just covered in thatch and leaves, and then aerate again around May/June according to this here calendar. I'm too late to have hit it with all the necessary pre-emergents, so whatever the ferti-lome crabgrass preventer doesn't get, the selective herbicides should.

e: actually surge and crossbow sound too dangerous. 'Harmful to humans and domestic animals. Causes irreversible eye damage.'

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Apr 14, 2023

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

lite_sleepr posted:

I believe you're thinking of St. Augustine. Zoysia definitely seeds.

It seeds, but from everything I've seen getting it to grow from seeds is really difficult.

quote:

e: actually surge and crossbow sound too dangerous. 'Harmful to humans and domestic animals. Causes irreversible eye damage.'

I'm not suggesting mixing these, but they're both made up of the standard broadleaf herbicides you'd fine anywhere else. You won't really find anything safer.... wear (and understand) your PPE, and you'll be fine.

Honestly it's up to you... something like sedgehammer would take care of the nutsedge with minimal other impact. I'd probably try pulling dallisgrass by hand if it's not too giant (a "stand up weeder" is really helpful).

If you want a uniform lawn you're going to need toxic chemicals. There's no way around that.

devicenull fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 14, 2023

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I have a stand up weeder! I was just using it in the front yard to pull up what look like thistles, but were probably small crabgrass plugs. Best way I can describe them.

I really need to figure out how to ID these. I'll snap some pictures of what I have and say what I think it is.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

lite_sleepr posted:

I have a stand up weeder! I was just using it in the front yard to pull up what look like thistles, but were probably small crabgrass plugs. Best way I can describe them.

I really need to figure out how to ID these. I'll snap some pictures of what I have and say what I think it is.

Google lens is pretty good at weed ID’s or at least will usually point you in the right direction. Your state extension service also probably has a ‘common weeds of north texas’ publication. Or take pictures and send them to your county extension office.

E: you also dont really need to know exactly what you have, though it is nice to know which weed you’re cussing at. Most weeds are Not Grass and equally susceptible to selective broadleaf herbicides like atrazine or 2,4-D. Nutsedge/crabgrass are a little different but it sounds like you’ve already ID’d those.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 14, 2023

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Google lens is pretty good at weed ID’s or at least will usually point you in the right direction. Your state extension service also probably has a ‘common weeds of north texas’ publication. Or take pictures and send them to your county extension office.

E: you also dont really need to know exactly what you have, though it is nice to know which weed you’re cussing at. Most weeds are Not Grass and equally susceptible to selective broadleaf herbicides like atrazine or 2,4-D. Nutsedge/crabgrass are a little different but it sounds like you’ve already ID’d those.

To second this general idea, I use LeafSnap and it has done a decent job of identifying the weeds I'm dealing with. I suspect the mix of weeds in North Texas is not terribly different than what we have along the coast.

Atrazine will harm most southern grasses though. I think it's only labeled for St Augustine and centipede.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

lite_sleepr posted:

They're not when used properly, but it appears you're one of the afraid of "chemicals" people - I could tell when you started out talking about solarizing.

That's fine, but it means you don't get to have a monoculture lawn, period.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I wonder if there is a group of organic-only perfect lawn hippy dads out there somewhere

E: to echo what motronic is saying though, decide if no potentially harmful chemicals or a perfect lawn are more important to you and embrace that. Trying to do both is just going to be really frustrating because you really can’t have a ‘perfect’ monoculture lawn without herbicides/insecticides/fungicides/fertilizers. But you can totally have a decent looking lawn without all that! It just will probably have some oxalis or clover or ryegrass mixed in, and that’s fine! Mow what grows.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 14, 2023

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Got my soil analysis back. According to AgriLife I should look for a 1 - 2.2 - 0 fertilizer, but I'm not aware of any with those ratios. I suppose I should just get a bag with numbers closest to those.

Also what should I use to bring down the pH to about 6.5? I understand ideal soil pH is about 6.5

All said it didn't seem too terrible. I still want to dethatch my yard to allow for better soil contact, so I'll try to do that this weekend, but fat chance finding a dethatching machine in any brick and mortar store.

https://imgur.com/a/ym4NH6B

Really I'd rather not have lovely looking weeds, dead spots/bare spots.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 14, 2023

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Clover planting day 1!

Got a lovely tilled mud pit going on that I seeded with just under a pound of Miniclover. Put in a sprinkler and smart timer to keep the seed moist while it germinates. I e read the clover posts itt a few times (as well as a dozen other websites) but any other pointers while it does it's thing?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

theflyingexecutive posted:

Clover planting day 1!

Got a lovely tilled mud pit going on that I seeded with just under a pound of Miniclover. Put in a sprinkler and smart timer to keep the seed moist while it germinates. I e read the clover posts itt a few times (as well as a dozen other websites) but any other pointers while it does it's thing?

I'd get some straw cover down over that to protect the seeds from birds before gemination and to hold moisture during that time.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Motronic posted:

I'd get some straw cover down over that to protect the seeds from birds before gemination and to hold moisture during that time.

:tipshat:

I have a feeder juuuust out of frame that is doing a great job distracting them with giant hunks of corn vs my tiny clover seeds.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

theflyingexecutive posted:

:tipshat:

I have a feeder juuuust out of frame that is doing a great job distracting them with giant hunks of corn vs my tiny clover seeds.

Nice. It will still help with the germination parts and holding mositure and probably shading the seedlings from excessive sun. I've always been more successful with a cover on things like that.

You can get a compressed bale of straw all wrapped up in plastic so it doesn't make a mess of your car from Tractor Supply or whatever feed/pet supply place you have nearby and it looks like that would be plenty for that space.

And keep that feeder full.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
In the fall I'm going to put down a one two punch combo of Celsius, Sedgehammer+, and a surfactant. Then in early winter I'll put down pre-emergent.

It'll be great.

These herbicides are expensive af what's up with that?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

lite_sleepr posted:

These herbicides are expensive af what's up with that?

They've all gotten expensive, but especially the name brand blends. Glad I don't use much because ouch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

I bought and planted three boxwoods to go along side one that came with the house. When we took them out of the pots the soil was really really heavy clay. I ended up removing the outer layer of clay to expose the roots - was this a bad thing? Very conflicting answers online. It’s been about a day and the leaves are a little droopy.