Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Oof, those mechs do sure pack a punch if they hit you, that Cicada and the Commando both have nasty weapons for this tonnage to face, not to mention all the vehicles that can get behind you.

Thankfully they're pretty squishy though so concentrated fire should take them down pretty quick.

Koorisch fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Apr 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Ok cool I didn't have my rulebook handy, thanks

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Koorisch posted:

Oof, those mechs do sure pack a punch if they hit you, that Cicada and the Commando both have nasty weapons for this tonnage to face, not to mention all the vehicles that can get behind you.

Thankfully they're pretty squishy though so concentrated fire should take them down pretty quick.

The other weakness for the big guns here is that they produce a lot of heat, and neither the Cicada or the Commando have a lot of heat sinks. Just moving and firing is going to accumulate heat, and if you can add more it can really hurt them.

There's a really sneaky way to exploit this, but I don't know how much Scintilla wants non-players giving tactical advice.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Gnoman posted:

There's a really sneaky way to exploit this, but I don't know how much Scintilla wants non-players giving tactical advice.

Feel free! This LP is a participation sport, and I'm sure the players will appreciate the advice.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

In that case, there's three things that become very important.

1. Forests don't move, making them fairly easy to hit even at range.
2. Any energy weapon can start a fire. Flamers are guaranteed to do it, while it is a die roll for things like an ML, but it can be done.
3. In addition to producing lovely concealing smoke, fires raise the heat of any mech that passes through them.

All this means that fire is your friend in this fight. Smoke will give you an incredibly effective barrier against long range fire if you move carefully, and burning down any forests that the Cicada and Commando happen to step into will deny them safe use of their weapons.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

This is going to be costly. The PPC on the CDA and the LL on the COM will punch through to internals or even cut a leg off instantly, if they land a hit on the LCTs. Those weapons also out-range our Lance, along with the AC/5 on the Scorpion tank. We probably want to close and kill the CDA first, wheeling far left to keep those lvl2 hills between us the rest of the force. If we can get to where the CDA is, we might only have to fight the 'Mechs for a few rounds before the Vehs can get LoS. Problem with wheeling left, the VL is too far out of position and would be left alone on the right edge, and need to play peek-a-boo with JJ in and out of LOS to pester from the flanks. But hexes 1617/1618 are heavy trees that have a hill to help block LOS to the rest of the base. As long as we stay out of 6 hexes from the infantry, they're no threat, a problem for later during cleanup.

ilmucche posted:

Depending how dangerously we want to live can the locusts walk straight forward and put fire on the unmoving galleon at 9+ to hit?

Note that IIRC, (please someone let me know if this is still true) it's easier to get to the side arcs of vehicles vs 'Mechs. 'Mechs front damage arc is the front three hexes, where a Vehicle is only the forward hex face, the two side hexes are side arc hits. This makes it easier to get to the weaker side armor. We could risk both LCTs to toss some roughly 8 To-Hits (4 Base +2 running +2 Med Range) at the Galleon. If we can land 3 of 4 ML to the side armor (not likely, but possible) we could destroy it in one turn. Next turn we could enter the CDA's hill to flank using 0510 or other lvl1 slopes. If we can get within 3 hexes of the CDA, the PPC's minimum range mods can protect us from that big gun.

I could reach 0915 by only turning twice (at 1219 and 0918) and maintain a +4 movement mod fire for moving 10 hexes. This sets me up for what I think is a right side arc shot on the Galleon. The other LCT has more options, but you probably want to try and only turn or change elevation twice to move 10 hexes.

What's the plan Ruby Lance?

Edit: As for fire and smoke - We'd need to be able to shoot the trees the CDA wants to use, it outranges us already and they have numerical advantage. If we waste time trying to start a fire with MLs in the CDA's space, the CDA will get more rounds to shoot us. We need to neutralize the CDA (it has LCT level armor) and prevent the OPFOR from bringing all of the other units into LOS. The VL has the best position to light a fire and use smoke for itself on the right side.

Amechwarrior fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 9, 2023

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Gnoman posted:

All this means that fire is your friend in this fight.

Didn't at least one PTN mission end with a massive forest fire? :v:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

looks like i should be able to reach 0913 to give me partial cover against most incoming fire, get shots on the galleon, and stay out of los of the cicada

e: (1022-1017 5MP, 1017-1016 2MP [level change], 1016-1013 3MP, 1013-0913 2MP [facing change] = 12MP)

Captain Foo fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 9, 2023

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

looks like i should be able to reach 0913 to give me partial cover against most incoming fire, get shots on the galleon, and stay out of los of the cicada

Yep, that also sets you up for moving to 0510 and possibly as far in as 0508 for a +3, next turn as you'll be facing left in 0913.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Amechwarrior posted:

Yep, that also sets you up for moving to 0510 and possibly as far in as 0508 for a +3, next turn as you'll be facing left in 0913.

yep, or lots of flexibility into the hills for los/range purposes

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Cooked Auto posted:

Didn't at least one PTN mission end with a massive forest fire? :v:

I wanna say this was the Caesar Steiner (nobody finer) mission?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Pattonesque posted:

I wanna say this was the Caesar Steiner (nobody finer) mission?

It was Vipers of Sommerset. The players managed to bullshit the Clanners into believing that starting fires was part of an ancient 'Steiner Rules' dueling code.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Ayup, that's the one I'm thinking of.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Captain Foo posted:

e: (1022-1017 5MP, 1017-1016 2MP [level change], 1016-1013 3MP, 1013-0913 2MP [facing change] = 12MP)

okay i'm gonna let this simmer for a bit but I think it's going to be my order unless we come up with a new plan

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Amechwarrior posted:

This is going to be costly. The PPC on the CDA and the LL on the COM will punch through to internals or even cut a leg off instantly, if they land a hit on the LCTs. Those weapons also out-range our Lance, along with the AC/5 on the Scorpion tank. We probably want to close and kill the CDA first, wheeling far left to keep those lvl2 hills between us the rest of the force. If we can get to where the CDA is, we might only have to fight the 'Mechs for a few rounds before the Vehs can get LoS. Problem with wheeling left, the VL is too far out of position and would be left alone on the right edge, and need to play peek-a-boo with JJ in and out of LOS to pester from the flanks. But hexes 1617/1618 are heavy trees that have a hill to help block LOS to the rest of the base. As long as we stay out of 6 hexes from the infantry, they're no threat, a problem for later during cleanup.

Note that IIRC, (please someone let me know if this is still true) it's easier to get to the side arcs of vehicles vs 'Mechs. 'Mechs front damage arc is the front three hexes, where a Vehicle is only the forward hex face, the two side hexes are side arc hits. This makes it easier to get to the weaker side armor. We could risk both LCTs to toss some roughly 8 To-Hits (4 Base +2 running +2 Med Range) at the Galleon. If we can land 3 of 4 ML to the side armor (not likely, but possible) we could destroy it in one turn. Next turn we could enter the CDA's hill to flank using 0510 or other lvl1 slopes. If we can get within 3 hexes of the CDA, the PPC's minimum range mods can protect us from that big gun.

I could reach 0915 by only turning twice (at 1219 and 0918) and maintain a +4 movement mod fire for moving 10 hexes. This sets me up for what I think is a right side arc shot on the Galleon. The other LCT has more options, but you probably want to try and only turn or change elevation twice to move 10 hexes.

What's the plan Ruby Lance?

Edit: As for fire and smoke - We'd need to be able to shoot the trees the CDA wants to use, it outranges us already and they have numerical advantage. If we waste time trying to start a fire with MLs in the CDA's space, the CDA will get more rounds to shoot us. We need to neutralize the CDA (it has LCT level armor) and prevent the OPFOR from bringing all of the other units into LOS. The VL has the best position to light a fire and use smoke for itself on the right side.

VL here. Yeah I was thinking about moving to the clump of forests on the left but I hadn't thought about starting a fire with my flamer. I haven't checked the ranges yet but I could start a fire on the far light woods, and try to hit the Galleon with 3 MLs.

I also thought about rushing forward to the right but I would be without support there so that's definitely out.

I think I should try and clump on the center (via the forest clump) with our Jenner. Maybe we should have our Locusts rush the Cicada and keep it busy. If we get lucky the 4 MLs between our LCTs can punch through the CDA's RT or LT armor.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Amechwarrior posted:

Note that IIRC, (please someone let me know if this is still true) it's easier to get to the side arcs of vehicles vs 'Mechs.

This is correct; however vehicle crit tables are also the tamest on the sides (they're more likely to take motive damage and less likely to be outright destroyed by a side crit). Paradoxical as it sounds, you generally want to either hit them from the front or, even more preferentially, from the rear unless you've got the firepower to kill them outright in one turn.

Rear hits destroy vehicles very quickly, as does fire, although you'd typically want inferno SRMs to really exploit that.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Was thinking of rushing up the left side, try to get a little behind them. Don't know if it's better for the bigger mechs to clump in the middle and we send the LCTs flying on the flanks?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

VL here.

I was thinking about my move and here's what I came up with, if LCT#2 agrees and if this is possible:
Movement Phase:
- VL: Runs to 1619 (9MP) (4MP to 1821, 2MP to 1820, 1MP turn to 1720, 2MP to 1619).
- LCT#2: Walks to 1618 (6MP) (4MP to 1220, 1MP turn to 1319, 1MP to 1319).

Shoot phase:
- LCT#2: 2 ML at the GAL at range 7. GAL can't return fire because of fire/smoke at 1318.
- VL: Flamer at 1318 (3 range) for a smokescreen.

How does this sound?

nevermind this

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 9, 2023

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i think pushing to the middle and then having the LCTs (LCT #1 here) get into the cicada's business with a leftwards flank might make sense? gotta look out for the jets on the stinger, though

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Space Kablooey posted:

VL here.

I was thinking about my move and here's what I came up with, if LCT#2 agrees and if this is possible:
Movement Phase:
- VL: Runs to 1619 (9MP) (4MP to 1821, 2MP to 1820, 1MP turn to 1720, 2MP to 1619).
- LCT#2: Walks to 1618 (6MP) (4MP to 1220, 1MP turn to 1319, 1MP to 1319).

Shoot phase:
- LCT#2: 2 ML at the GAL at range 7. GAL can't return fire because of fire/smoke at 1318.
- VL: Flamer at 1318 (3 range) for a smokescreen.

How does this sound?

I don't think that can work due to how the damage resolution for the fire/smoke happens after the firing phase. The smoke won't be there until it's too late. Or is that no longer correct?

You could jump to 1221 area for options next turn. If you landed to 1321 and land facing up/left you can run to 0517 next turn for +3 movement mod. This will group up with the JR7 next turn and you could still fire on something if they really push forward.

The LCTs can make it to/over the CDA hill on foot and you guys have jets so we can keep the woods the STG is in between us and the bull or forces. We can light those on fire if needed.

Edit - Hit post by accident on my phone before I was done.

Amechwarrior fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 9, 2023

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Amechwarrior posted:

I don't think that can work due to how the damage resolution for the fire/smoke happens after the firing phase. The smoke won't be there until it's too late. Or is that no longer correct?

This is correct; smoke is generated during the End Phase, which occurs after shooting has been resolved. Also, flamers require a 4+ roll to ignite terrain, while Medium Lasers require a 7+. Machine Guns can also ignite terrain, but require a more challenging 9+.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Scintilla posted:

This is correct; smoke is generated during the End Phase, which occurs after shooting has been resolved. Also, flamers require a 4+ roll to ignite terrain, while Medium Lasers require a 7+. Machine Guns can also ignite terrain, but require a more challenging 9+.

are fires rolled to start on missed shots on enemy, or only on deliberate terrain targeting?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Ah I didn't know. I thought fire applied as soon as the fire chance was rolled in the firing phase, going by the last mission.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

Paradoxical as it sounds, you generally want to either hit them from the front or, even more preferentially, from the rear unless you've got the firepower to kill them outright in one turn.

Thanks for that, hopefully we can at least open that side up for a finisher next round or cause it to pull back.

ilmucche posted:

Was thinking of rushing up the left side, try to get a little behind them. Don't know if it's better for the bigger mechs to clump in the middle and we send the LCTs flying on the flanks?

I don't think we want to split our forces. They outnumber us and our two LCTs only have the combined firepower as one of our other 'Mechs. We should try to pile all our firepower on the high threat 'Mechs and pot shot vehicles if you can't.

If we split, if one of either team gets unlucky, there's no real support due to our short ranges and terrain. We should use that terrain against them.

If we all play in the middle, everyone will be there in a nasty brawl we don't have the armor to win and profit. The woods and bad terrain around 1206 will keep the vehicles off our backs if they push and we go left. If we can get all 4 of us together, we can locally outnumber the 'Mechs.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Captain Foo posted:

are fires rolled to start on missed shots on enemy, or only on deliberate terrain targeting?

Fires can start both accidentally or deliberately. If you miss a shot with a weapon capable of starting a fire and your target is standing in flammable terrain, there's a small chance the missed shot will set that hex on fire. Alternatively, a player can attempt to deliberately start a fire by intentionally targeting a terrain feature. If anyone wants to do this, please specify it in your orders, eg. 'I fire my Flamer at the Light Woods in Hex xxxx in an attempt to ignite it'.

Space Kablooey posted:

Ah I didn't know. I thought fire applied as soon as the fire chance was rolled in the firing phase, going by the last mission.

Sorry for not being clear - whether accidental or intentional, all fires begin in the End Phase.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Amechwarrior posted:

Thanks for that, hopefully we can at least open that side up for a finisher next round or cause it to pull back.

I'm talking mostly crit table stuff anyway, usually by the time you're dealing critical damage to a vehicle it's dead anyway unless you scored a TAC.

Whichever side you do hit a vehicle from, try to keep doing damage from that direction. Statistically if you attack a tank from the side you're going to hit that side with a few minor deviations to either the front or rear or even more rarely the turret, so ideally if you go for a vehicle kill everyone with an angle should be dumping shots into it from the same direction on the same turn. The worst thing you can do with a combat vee is allow it time to maneuver and waste your shots on fresh armor.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Amechwarrior posted:

You could jump to 1221 area for options next turn. If you landed to 1321 and land facing up/left you can run to 0517 next turn for +3 movement mod. This will group up with the JR7 next turn and you could still fire on something if they really push forward.

The LCTs can make it to/over the CDA hill on foot and you guys have jets so we can keep the woods the STG is in between us and the bull or forces. We can light those on fire if needed.

Edit - Hit post by accident on my phone before I was done.

I have a feeling the CDA will walk at least to 0709 next turn, because that will give it range to the whole valley and not give it a penalty for shooting. Right now I'm not too worried about us being in the open because it can't fire right due to the Lvl2 hill chain blocking LoS IIRC. I'm liking the idea to jump to 1221, it's out of range of the GAL and I could rush the CDA up with the JNR next turn.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Space Kablooey posted:

I have a feeling the CDA will walk at least to 0709 next turn, because that will give it range to the whole valley and not give it a penalty for shooting. Right now I'm not too worried about us being in the open because it can't fire right due to the Lvl2 hill chain blocking LoS IIRC. I'm liking the idea to jump to 1221, it's out of range of the GAL and I could rush the CDA up with the JNR next turn.

also if it's at 0709 i can't quite get to rear arc, i don't think

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

are vehicles extra vulnerable to melee, or is that something HBS made up for the videogame?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

biosterous posted:

are vehicles extra vulnerable to melee, or is that something HBS made up for the videogame?

They didn't really use much of the game rules beyond the basic idea of hit locations and equipment weights/sizes, TBH

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Just found this rad thread, I've played all the video games but know nothing about the tabletop so this is really cool.

I'm surprised the cicada has a PPC, that seems like crazy firepower for the size. Then again the original mechcommander had a firestarter variant with a PPC.

Not much to add, cool thread!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Slavvy posted:

Just found this rad thread, I've played all the video games but know nothing about the tabletop so this is really cool.

I'm surprised the cicada has a PPC, that seems like crazy firepower for the size. Then again the original mechcommander had a firestarter variant with a PPC.

Not much to add, cool thread!

in the weight bracket, i think your primary options for a ppc are the cicada and a panther?

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Ruby Lance - What's our course of action? We flanking left all together or try and keep the center/split up? We've all been able to chime in, but I want to be sure before I submit my order.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I'll probably end up running to 0419 looking NE (9MP) or 0520 looking N(11MP). Have to look tomorrow but it'll depend if I think I can get shot at by anyone with a decent chance to hit. Either way turn 2 I can try to link up with the rest of the lance

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I want to flank left and delete that CDA ASAP.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Slavvy posted:

The Cicada is generally considered a fast glass cannon. Speed is supposed to make up for light armor but often fails to do so. The -3C just has more cannon than other variants.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Amechwarrior posted:

Ruby Lance - What's our course of action? We flanking left all together or try and keep the center/split up? We've all been able to chime in, but I want to be sure before I submit my order.

I'm submitting my 0913 move above.

NoNotTheMindProbe
Aug 9, 2010
pony porn was here

Captain Foo posted:

in the weight bracket, i think your primary options for a ppc are the cicada and a panther?

Yeah the heaviest guns you tend to see in the 40 ton bracket pre-clans are AC/5s and LRM-10s. The clans have the Pouncer which is a 40 ton mech with dual ER PPCs.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The puma/adder also has dual ppc's, seems mw3 was correct

But then I remember the cougar is meant to be a heavier, more powerful derivative and yet it's only got large lasers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Large Pulse Lasers, and also LRM-10s. It's made for bullying other lights. If you want paired cER PPCs, you go with the Beta config, which has two of them and a cER ML.