Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

Changelings infiltrated all of starfleet, so they probably have at least one person on most ships.

There's like 10,000 ships in Starfleet though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

There's like 10,000 ships in Starfleet though...

This feels a little picky. Some coincidences are fine. All the coincidences aren't.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

CaptainSkinny posted:

Wait a second. Why are there any changelings on the Titan at all? Seven days they've been there since before they picked up anyone. How did they know Picard and Riker would commandeer the Titan if they didn't even know about Beverly's signal?
When Picard and Riker go to the bar there is a changeling watching them

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

When Picard and Riker go to the bar there is a changeling watching them

The changeling who replaced Ensign Sweatyface was already aboard the Titan for at least a week before Riker and Picard came aboard though.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

tracecomplete posted:

This feels a little picky. Some coincidences are fine. All the coincidences aren't.

Yeah, they've probably got changelings on the ships that matter the most and others in/around the admiralty, which is enough to herd the other ships wherever they need to go. It was basically the same deal with the buttbugs

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
There's gonna be a Twilight Zone-style twist where it turns out everyone has been replaced by Changelings who were too lazy/incompetent to test each other with the secret handshake.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Payndz posted:

There's gonna be a Twilight Zone-style twist where it turns out everyone has been replaced by Changelings who were too lazy/incompetent to test each other with the secret handshake.

Terry's gonna :speculate: this poo poo and pick the Green Ending so everyone in the Federation becomes part Changeling and all the Changelings become part solid so that there can be peace at last between the kingdoms of liquid and solid and it's basically going to be ignored by the rest of Trek canon for all time became it's unfathomably dumb.

I legit wonder if whatever the real thing is going to be, and if it's as bad and dumb and insane as Timby claims it is, is it going to be enough to knock Matalas off his unearned perch as the "Savior of Star Trek" in the eyes of the internet like how Dave Filoni has been cast out to exile island by Star Wars Fans after also momentarily being the "Savior of Star Wars" as well.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 9, 2023

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

TerminalRaptor posted:

New series proposal: Quarks. It's a complete rip off of Cheers with Quark running the bar. The series takes place entirely in the bar to save production costs.

Every episode Morn walks in, the whole bar greeting him by name. Quark asks a small talk question. Just as Morn is about to answer with a witty one liner the scene ends in an sudden cut.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

twistedmentat posted:

Star Trek for some reason thinks darkness makes things more serious.
Modern Star Trek is really embarrassed to be Star Trek while somehow also simultaneously cynically pandering with "Look! Thing you know!"

The best of Star Trek could be a loving stage play. Nobody in these shows sits down to talk about the issues and hand and float solutions. Nobody has meaningful conversations. It's all exposition and action that never rises and falls. It just... is. It's really loving poorly made and I'm really trying my best to enjoy it for what it is instead of hating it for what it isn't, but it's rather difficult when it's not even recognizably Star Trek, nor forging a new, interesting path.

It's changes that aren't saying anything. As you said, they don't have a reason to exist beyond "Star Trek is serious business now. For grown-ups. Not you fuckin' nerds and dorks and losers who liked it before, but please stay because nobody else wants to see this, so here's somebody you cared about saying hi and then getting instantly murdered."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

LividLiquid posted:

Modern Star Trek is really embarrassed to be Star Trek while somehow also simultaneously cynically pandering with "Look! Thing you know!"

The best of Star Trek could be a loving stage play. Nobody in these shows sits down to talk about the issues and hand and float solutions. Nobody has meaningful conversations. It's all exposition and action that never rises and falls. It just... is. It's really loving poorly made and I'm really trying my best to enjoy it for what it is instead of hating it for what it isn't, but it's rather difficult when it's not even recognizably Star Trek, nor forging a new, interesting path.

It's changes that aren't saying anything. As you said, they don't have a reason to exist beyond "Star Trek is serious business now. For grown-ups. Not you fuckin' nerds and dorks and losers who liked it before, but please stay because nobody else wants to see this, so here's somebody you cared about saying hi and then getting instantly murdered."

It's not all of Modern Trek, only Picard is embarrassed to be Star Trek. Prodigy, Lower Decks and Strange New Worlds are all very proud of their Trekness. Discovery, for all it's flaws, also wants to be Star Trek, it just sucks at it too badly to make it over the bar. Picard is the only one that tries to literally crawl out of its skin to get away from being a Star Trek before realizing it needs its skin to live and then dies.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Discovery is Worf. It's obsessed with Trek and really thinks of itself as part of it always has, but it has really weird ideas of what Trek is and where it fits in.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

It's not all of Modern Trek, only Picard is embarrassed to be Star Trek. Prodigy, Lower Decks and Strange New Worlds are all very proud of their Trekness. Discovery, for all it's flaws, also wants to be Star Trek, it just sucks at it too badly to make it over the bar. Picard is the only one that tries to literally crawl out of its skin to get away from being a Star Trek before realizing it needs its skin to live and then dies.

For real: Memento Mori from SNW is a classic 'submarine in space' story that almost all the shows bar TNG did at one point, Lift Us Where Suffering Cannot Reach is cribbing heavily from Leguin, but it's a classic Trek morality tale. Time Amok from Prodigy is fantastic 'work together to think our way out of the time whatsit' stuff while saying something about several of the characters, and All The World's A Stage is basically Ira Behr's idea for a sequel to A Piece of The Action done as well as possible. LDS it's well-documented in the thread that I'm less crazy about than most, but even it has started to lean into the idea that Starfleet and it's ideals make the characters better people when they open themselves up to it. Something as small as the moment where Ransom sends the one nervous cadet to Boimler for mentoring because over the season Boimler's gotten his respect is just really nice.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Still can’t believe they had the perfect opportunity to bring back the popular villains from what many say was TNGs first “good” episode who were one of TNGs only unresolved plot threads for their big TNG send off with the bugs, and instead they used dudes the TNG crew never interacted with once.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

galagazombie posted:

Still can’t believe they had the perfect opportunity to bring back the popular villains from what many say was TNGs first “good” episode who were one of TNGs only unresolved plot threads for their big TNG send off with the bugs, and instead they used dudes the TNG crew never interacted with once.

Yeah where the heck is Groppler Zorn??

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

galagazombie posted:

It's the Rise of Skywalker fallacy where instead of trying to wrap up a single three movie trilogy, that movie instead decided to try and wrap up a nine movie franchise and nearly every other flaw in that movie followed from that. Picard Season 3 has taken it upon itself to wrap up TNG, Voyager, and DS9 instead of just focusing on TNG and it is failing all three series instead.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I'm excited for another character from TNG to appear for 5 minutes then die for no reason.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

It’s Minuet behind the red door. She is the red lady.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

[name] and [name] go out by ramming into the enemy ship, and initially the enemy is smug in the assessment of no damage, until they realize they've both been caught into the gravity well of a neutron star. (I don't know, maybe someone thought the orbit of a pulsar was a good spot for a secret base.) After warping a safe distance away, "We didn't actually see what happened, maybe --". The crew sees an extremely bright star light up the sky for a second, like when nova material lands on a pulsar. "yeah, they're dead"

as a reference to that thing some shows do where they cut away from the final moment to show a comet crossing the sky

and if they hadn't done the gravity well thing earlier for a whole episode with a black hole

The Duras Sisters, Miles and Keiko O'Brien, etc

edit: Dr. Paul Manheim and Jenice from "We'll Always Have Paris", the latter being one of Picard's former loves

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 10, 2023

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
I think the DPs forgot that Disco had an in universe explanation for the dark bridge.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I think Stargate Universe was the last sci-fi show I've seen that successfully pulled off "shot almost entirely on dark sets, yet still lit so you can see everything clearly". It's like the folks shooting Picard forgot what a loving white balance is or something.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

As darkly lit as Picard is this year I still think I'd take it over Discovery blinding me with its blue-white high beams for most of its four seasons

It's like it came from the Bethesda open world RPG school of colour grading, everything has to have a characteristic tint otherwise the audience won't know it's The Future or something

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Is Picard shot in HDR?

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

It really is like, gently caress me for not leaving my TV on vibrant because I don't live in a Best Buy. There are some scenes that I can't even make out silhouettes.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Delsaber posted:

As darkly lit as Picard is this year I still think I'd take it over Discovery blinding me with its blue-white high beams for most of its four seasons

It's like it came from the Bethesda open world RPG school of colour grading, everything has to have a characteristic tint otherwise the audience won't know it's The Future or something

Where can I download an ENB binary to fix the lighting on Picard then?

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Where can I download an ENB binary to fix the lighting on Picard then?

Take a left at the dialogue improvement mods, walk a ways past the bridge carpeting mods, it's right at the end of aisle under the kinda creepy "clean faces" texture replacers

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Is there one that replaces the Shrike with Thomas the Tank Engine

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Super Deuce posted:

Can someone explain what the hell is going on with the lights in this corridor in Discovery?

What purpose could that possible have?

Remember this is lighting from modern Trek. I still have no idea what this is meant to be. Why would any corridor on the ship have lights that do that.

Gollom
Mar 5, 2007
I pawned the precious

Super Deuce posted:

Remember this is lighting from modern Trek. I still have no idea what this is meant to be. Why would any corridor on the ship have lights that do that.

I think it also does that before they go to the future; Tilly and other potential captains(?) are running a marathon and Discovery just automatically does this lighting, along with a computer warning of their approach? gently caress anyone working in this area, people are jogging! I think it's also the same episode the computer/Michael gets kind of judgey about bean burritos and salsa. Wild.

I have yet to actually watch Picard S3. I've followed the thread, so I kind of know what to expect, but I think I'll wait until the finale, and just drunk binge it over the course of a weekend. After mall-punk Jurati badly lip syncing Pat Benatar, I refuse to even approach this series sober.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Prediction: When Jack figures out what his powers are he will either say "It's the best of both worlds!" Or somebody will say to him "You're the best of both worlds!"

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Prediction: When Jack figures out what his powers are he will either say "It's the best of both worlds!" Or somebody will say to him "You're the best of both worlds!"

lol this will totally happen.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Lol. "changelings would have had the day but instead, it was...Data's day"

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
“It’s time I got my Redemption…part II”

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Please stop lathe of heavening the worst lines I've ever seen

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Vadic, gripping onto the ship as she's about to be blown out into space: No! I was so close!
Seven: Talk to the hand
(Phaser blasts her into space)

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
The changelings have allied themselves with our greatest enemy... The House of Quark

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
My favorite part of Star Trek Picard was when Picard said “it’s time to Star Trek” and then star trekked all over the place

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You know something tells me this is gonna be the best frontier day ever

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
The secret villain is going to be the evil clown guy from voyager

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
It’s neelix’s brother in law, Kyle. He was crashing on the changling lady’s hand for a few days, a week max, while he get some things in order

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

thinking about a really contrived scene where Data asks Picard if they should deal the finishing blow to the space monster's spaceship or whatever and there's a big dramatic closeup on him as he says 'make it so' before they mirk him