Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Celexi posted:

the update that messed up my local security was unfixable, even after uninstalling it the issue was there, no reg fix would fix it. so, I did a inplace upgrade to beta and all good now.

like no sfc, dism or whatever would touch whatever issues, Microsoft needs to make a proper update and integrity troubleshooter.

Are you talking about whatever is causing Windows 11 to display an alert about local security? I noticed my laptop has been doing that, but it still shows local security toggled on, just also with a prompt that I need to reboot in order for it to take effect. Is it an actual security hole? I didn't research it too deeply because I rarely use the laptop, and it looks to me more like a busted alert than anything else. The laptop itself is not something which I am too concerned about, as I basically only use it when I travel and it has little of my own actual data on it, and since it connects to hotel networks I don't fully trust it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
It's a known issue that MS haven't fixed yet: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-health/status-windows-11-22H2#3048msgdesc

There's a link at the bottom of the workaround section that shows how to verify if LSA protection is actually on regardless of what the security panel says

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

a dmc delorean posted:

So... Windows 12 for 2024 (allegedly)

That seems real fast, like Vista to 7 fast almost.

I guess since releases are pretty much just free at this point it makes sense to do major updates on a faster schedule, but that still seems kinda hard to believe.

But then 11 did feel like it was rushed after 10x was cancelled so maybe it was just a kind of stopgap OS.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

BrainDance posted:

That seems real fast, like Vista to 7 fast almost.

I guess since releases are pretty much just free at this point it makes sense to do major updates on a faster schedule, but that still seems kinda hard to believe.

Eh, if you look at the "general availability" dates:
code:
XP     2001-9
Vista  2007-1
7      2009-9
8      2012-9    (8.1  2013-9)
10     2015-7
11     2021-9
Vista to 7 was 2.75 years. That isn't that much shorter than the ~3 year cadence that followed with 7 -> 8 -> 10. (8.1 doesn't count.) More to do with Vista's repeated delays than 7 being faster. XP and 10 are the real outliers. So 12 coming in 2024 is pretty normal.

OTOH they started talking about 7 when Vista was less than a year old. That's probably why Vista's life seems so short. Everyone knew it was a dud.

BrainDance posted:

But then 11 did feel like it was rushed after 10x was cancelled so maybe it was just a kind of stopgap OS.

And speaking of 10X... lmao that 12 will be another attempt at making UWP the main app platform, or have editions that are UWP-only. Keep beating that horse microsoft.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Klyith posted:

Eh, if you look at the "general availability" dates:

Add the earlier versions too:
pre:
 3.0    1990-05
 3.10   1992-04  +23 months
(3.11   1993-11  +19 months)
 95     1995-08  +40 months
 98     1998-06  +34 months
(98SE   1999-05  +11 months)
 Me     2000-09  +27 months
 XP     2001-09  +12 months
 Vista  2007-01  +64 months
 7      2009-09  +32 months
 8      2012-09  +36 months
(8.1    2013-09  +12 months)
 10     2015-07  +34 months
Really, XP to Vista is the odd one out, probably mainly because MS scrapped a ton of work that had already been put into the Longhorn project.
Me to XP is also unusual, except of course that Me was mostly a stopgap release and XP was built on Windows 2000 and not the 9x lineage.
Then there's Windows 10 too, but Microsoft kind of intended to stop making "major releases" as such after that, so you may as well put the approximately10 point-releases in between 10 and 11 on this chart too.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Klyith posted:

(8.1 doesn't count.)

It does and there also was the 8.1 update

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
For some reason, Google Drive shows up in Explorer both as the Google Drive icon and as an additional hard disk (G in my case). How can I remove the extra hard disk without breaking Google Drive? Or is that just how it works now?

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

nielsm posted:

Then there's Windows 10 too, but Microsoft kind of intended to stop making "major releases" as such after that

No they didn't; and there were several releases that would be categorized as "major" within Windows 10's lifespan, they were just called 'updates' instead for marketing reasons.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

biznatchio posted:

No they didn't; and there were several releases that would be categorized as "major" within Windows 10's lifespan, they were just called 'updates' instead for marketing reasons.

What I mean is that each of those releases were more like the size of 98SE or 8.1 relative to the point-release just before. Incremental updates with a total effect that's large, but delivered piecemeal. I don't remember any as being "really major" on their own, as long as you didn't skip any.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Aren't some of the earlier Windows 10 versions already out of support? And there have been increases in the minimum disk space required, so some devices have effectively been obsoleted because they only had 32GB onboard storage?

With Windows 10 Microsoft kind of upended the versioning, or at least really mixed it up, as far as I can tell. So while technically Windows 10 has a certain lifespan and a fairly long one, you could have a device that came with Windows 10 unable to install a newer version and be stuck without support on it despite it technically being Windows 10.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

hooah posted:

For some reason, Google Drive shows up in Explorer both as the Google Drive icon and as an additional hard disk (G in my case). How can I remove the extra hard disk without breaking Google Drive? Or is that just how it works now?

Open Google drive preferences and look in the section folders from drive.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Aren't some of the earlier Windows 10 versions already out of support?

technically only 21H2 and 22H2 are still supported for end users, not counting the LTSC releases. 12 out of 14 Win10 versions are out of support according to the lifecycle page

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

biznatchio posted:

Which releases would have been categorised as major within Windows 10?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Fall Creator's Update would be one

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Which releases would have been categorised as major within Windows 10?

Any one that changes the major build number:

21H1 19043
21H2 19044
22H2 19045

They've kept the N-1 support schedule for a few years. Makes sense considering the updates were free and didn't change hardware requirements or anything.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Are they not just minor releases though, outside of marketing?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Are they not just minor releases though, outside of marketing?

The feature updates can be pretty major, there are certain software packages that won't run on old versions.

Think about the Windows Server releases; the named year releases are long term support which line up with Windows 10 releases, and have differences in their features, and system modules such as ReFS, which are maintained at the same major versions throughout the OS' support life

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

CBD Corndog posted:

21H1 19043
21H2 19044
22H2 19045

They've kept the N-1 support schedule for a few years. Makes sense considering the updates were free and didn't change hardware requirements or anything.

Last big jump in build number was 20H1. IIRC that was also the last update that did the upgrade install. All those single digit increases were made by a tiny enablement package.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

CBD Corndog posted:

21H1 19043
21H2 19044
22H2 19045

There have been increases to minimum storage required which have had an impact. Like, the minimum storage used to be less than 32GB, and I'm pretty sure that even now if you install on something with only 32GB of storage you can hit a wall where you can't run Windows Update because it needs enough free space to unpack the updates and will choke if you don't have it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

MikusR posted:

Open Google drive preferences and look in the section folders from drive.

I switched it from "Mirror files" to "Stream files" but all that did was change the Google Drive icon to a blue thing. It's still there as a mapped drive.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

hooah posted:

I switched it from "Mirror files" to "Stream files" but all that did was change the Google Drive icon to a blue thing. It's still there as a mapped drive.

Mirror is the one you want for no extra drive.
In the window where you choose mirrored or streaming press the gear button next to your account image. There you can choose drive or folder. Google and their 50 different settings windows.

CatHorse fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Apr 13, 2023

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Hi thread any word on Microsoft planning to bring back right click, create desktop icon?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

MikusR posted:

Mirror is the one you want for no extra drive.
In the window where you choose mirrored or streaming press the gear button next to your account image. There you can choose drive or folder. Google and their 50 different settings windows.

Yes, that did it. Thank you!

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

LSA fix seems have arrived. It was replaced in GUI with kernel-mode hardware-enforced stack protection.

Would Google's garbage Drive software be faulty so that with kernel-mode hardware-enforced stack protection it stops working? My drive folder does not have the small drive icon anymore, and my H (google drive) "disk" is missing from Explorer. Google Drive client doesn't say that anything is wrong.

Maybe I should just move on to OneDrive, iCloud, Nextcloud, Jottacloud or something else. Google's software breaks more and more as time goes on, maybe it is time to ditch the Google drive too now, after I've just recently ditched Android based phones.

Edit: seems my office sub includes 1,1TB of onedrive space, so might as well move my data over to onedrive and discontinue my google drive plan.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Apr 20, 2023

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the new kernel mode stack protection broke basically every anti-cheat, though there's probably good reason for that and the ACs will just have to work around it

easyanticheat, battleye and vanguard are all broken currently with that feature enabled

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
https://twitter.com/CasualUK_/status/1649047422654648320?s=20

:lol:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

And thus, henceforth, they became known as postcode files.
Someone is messing around with automated substitions, and breaking stuff that wasn't broken.
Great work.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Today while helping my mom with some stuff, I noticed the Danish translation of Windows 11 mistranslates "save energy" and related phrases to mean "store energy" (or "hide away") instead of "reduce consumption". Stock phrase for "save" as if "save a file" is the only context that word is used in. But it's not consistent at all, even within the same Settings page the same terms get different translations.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 20, 2023

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick
Microsoft dev probably just fed a huge list of strings into chatgpt and asked it to translate all the strings into different languages and then just updated the translations in windows without checking anything

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's OK, they are going to get AI to perform the testing as well, and it says that the project is ready to ship

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
ai testing is what probably got us into this in the first loving place

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
It would be funny if a complete ban on AI technology didn't stem from a civilization destroying event but the fact it made everyone's daily life suck because they kept using it for everything.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I learned from a book a decade after the fact that the Finnish translation of Vista included a bunch of odd mistranslations. The one I particularly remember was process ”state” in task manager or somewhere being translated as osavaltio, which sure does mean ”state” except not that kind of state. Somehow I never noticed that back in the day, maybe they quietly patched it?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Vic posted:

It would be funny if a complete ban on AI technology didn't stem from a civilization destroying event but the fact it made everyone's daily life suck because they kept using it for everything.

Hell, at this point I think the civilization destroying event by AI technology will be that it sucks, yet the corporations keep using it for everything.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

My grandfather worked at the Windows 10 factory making updates for it past the end of support date. What update would he have given me for my birthday in December of 2025?

One weird trick bing developers don't want you to know!!!

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Rexxed posted:

My grandfather worked at the Windows 10 factory making updates for it past the end of support date. What update would he have given me for my birthday in December of 2025?

One weird trick bing developers don't want you to know!!!

As a language model, I can provide a hypothetical prediction for what your grandfather might have given you as an update for Windows 10 past its end of support date in December 2025.

Given the current trend of increasing focus on cybersecurity and data privacy, it is possible that your grandfather may have created an update that enhances the security features of Windows 10. This could include new encryption technologies, improved firewalls, and more robust anti-malware tools to protect against cyber attacks.

Another possibility could be an update that improves the overall performance and stability of Windows 10, making it more efficient and faster to use. This could involve optimizing system resources, streamlining the user interface, and fixing bugs and glitches that may have gone unnoticed during the official support period.

Of course, these are just hypothetical predictions, and there is no way to know for sure what your grandfather might have come up with as an update for Windows 10 beyond its end of support date.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

That’s a very interesting question. According to the search results, Microsoft will continue to support Windows 10 until Oct. 14, 2025123. That means your grandfather would have given you an update for Windows 10 before the end of support date. However, I don’t know what kind of update it would be, since Microsoft has not announced any future updates for Windows 10 beyond version 21H224. Maybe it would be a security update or a bug fix, or maybe something more exciting like a new feature or a design change. What do you think?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Here's a cool feature. If you have a modal dialog thing open in the settings up, you can't move it or the underlying window, except by using this tiny segment in the red rectangle lol.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

Here's a cool feature. If you have a modal dialog thing open in the settings up, you can't move it or the underlying window, except by using this tiny segment in the red rectangle lol.

How strange, thanks though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

mobby_6kl posted:

But why does this exist