Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Alhazred posted:

No, I just didn't feel like writing every spin offs. That why I wrote:

Implying that there were other games than Liberty Stories that were released.

Look, I went to public school reading comprehension is hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

There's something really funny about the phrase "The 40th game in the Street Fighter franchise is Street Fighter 6"

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Forum accident posted:

A little thing that always bothers me in tons of games is just... walking. Always walking. I can only imagine how many hours of my life I've spent walking from one objective to another in a video game. Some games feel like they just stretch things out so there's more walking that they can use to say their game is longer but the extra game is... WALKING. WALKING IS NOT A GAME.

MMOS are actually the worst about this one. Most of my MMO experience these days is in FF14 but you can apply it to most.

"We have a vast expansive world!"
"We have giant cities!"

Worlds and cities that you spend so much loving time walking in. Just going somewhere instead of actually being engaged with the game. Logging in to do some daily quests? Cool just go fly somewhere to mine some rocks, an activity where you are in zero danger, the rock mining part takes ten seconds but it's a full two minutes to go there and back, minimum. PLEASE PUT IN GAMEPLAY.

My ideal MMO has the world populated like it's a diablolike or something and your abilities obliterate hundreds of dudes at once and going anywhere involves carving a path of death that slowly closes behind you, and occasionally you meet another player crossing your path and you can briefly go through the part of the path behind them that hasn't yet refilled yet. All buttonpushing all the time.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
After a couple hundred hours of FFXIV the cities really lost their appeal. Some of them are really well crafted, and they have enough people milling about for it to be a kind of convincing town, but it just becomes a Location with Specific NPCs to talk to and not really anything else. Walking into a lovely low poly inn in, say, Everquest felt super novel and like, wow here I am in a world in an inn, pretending that I'm in an inn... but by now, it's all just decoration. Sure I can sit down, but for what? There are animations that let me look like I'm doing things, and sometimes the game forces you to engage with it, but it all feels like just a lot of... like, there's no substance.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

credburn posted:

After a couple hundred hours of FFXIV the cities really lost their appeal. Some of them are really well crafted, and they have enough people milling about for it to be a kind of convincing town, but it just becomes a Location with Specific NPCs to talk to and not really anything else. Walking into a lovely low poly inn in, say, Everquest felt super novel and like, wow here I am in a world in an inn, pretending that I'm in an inn... but by now, it's all just decoration. Sure I can sit down, but for what? There are animations that let me look like I'm doing things, and sometimes the game forces you to engage with it, but it all feels like just a lot of... like, there's no substance.

I think a key thing with decorative things is if they have ANY reason to engage. FF5 had pianos that you could play, but as you did Bartz got better at playing them and the gag evolved.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

And it unlocked a bard song!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I think over hundreds of hours a lot of videogame locations will lose their appeal regardless. Like the first time you discover an new settlement in an open world game you're like "Oh, wow, is that building perched on top of a thing? Wow, its all connected with rope bridges, thats cool, theres some nice environmental storytelling there." The fifteenth time you return there you are just thinking "gently caress, I just want to turn in these resistance bounties and refill my consumables. Why is the vendor so loving far from the fast travel point?".

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
It's time for more bitching about Nioh 1! It has a mechanic where you can reskin the player character as one of the NPCs for gameplay! That's a cool option, and you know what, I wanna pick one of the cool ladies in the cast; they've all got pretty interesting designs compared to the typical samurai designs all the men have and I do prefer playing female characters, so they'll be worth a bit of grinding to get together the currency used for that one.

What are my options? Well, there's five women, compared to the twenty-six men and one zombie.

Oh, what's that? The female characters are the five most expensive skins in the game, costing from 70k to 100k of that special currency?

How much of that currency do I get at once again? Oh, a couple dozen, tops.

Welp, I guess I'm going to continue playing as the man so boring that he had to be imported from England, because fantasy feudal Japan was incapable of producing someone so unappealing themselves.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

The getaway plans in the (single player) GTAV heists are not so clever and often seem like they wouldn't work even in-universe

"We robbed a jewelry store, then took motorbikes into a bunch of subway tunnels under construction that connect into a storm drain that goes into an artificial river. The police are waiting for us in said river. And then just kind of give up on chasing us down it after a while, coincidentally shortly before we run out of concrete and there's exactly one exit ramp left before the ocean. Got away scot free!"

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Cleretic posted:

It's time for more bitching about Nioh 1! It has a mechanic where you can reskin the player character as one of the NPCs for gameplay! That's a cool option, and you know what, I wanna pick one of the cool ladies in the cast; they've all got pretty interesting designs compared to the typical samurai designs all the men have and I do prefer playing female characters, so they'll be worth a bit of grinding to get together the currency used for that one.

What are my options? Well, there's five women, compared to the twenty-six men and one zombie.

Oh, what's that? The female characters are the five most expensive skins in the game, costing from 70k to 100k of that special currency?

Welp, I guess I'm going to continue playing as the man so boring that he had to be imported from England, because fantasy feudal Japan was incapable of producing someone so unappealing themselves.

Towards the end of the game you'll get more like 200 of that currency at once (and ghost fights only get easier, really), and around the early-middle of the game you become able to sacrifice items for petty amounts as part of a strange competitive multiplayer mechanic, so it all adds up. But yeah, it's goofy that they make the few female characters the most expensive model-swaps. And kind of insulting? Like I'm being indirectly called a horny dweeb.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DoubleNegative posted:

There's something really funny about the phrase "The 40th game in the Street Fighter franchise is Street Fighter 6"

Also really funny if you map out the timeline where for a long time 3 was the last game in the story.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Cleretic posted:

Can I put forward a suggestion:

Absolution isn't canon to the Hitman universe, but it is canon to the Deus Ex universe.

I dont know enough about Hitman Lore, but know enough about DX lore, but why?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Cleretic posted:

In Nioh 2, they not only added custom characters, but also let you return to the creation screen from the world map and fully remake your samurai for free as many times as you want. So, even Team Ninja admitted that system in 1 was a useless half-measure.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Hel posted:

While true you are underselling this a bit, the timeline goes:

Hitman: Codename 47 tutorial
Hitman: World of Assassination tutorial
The rest of Codename 47 / The remake flashbacks of Contracts
The Contracts tutorial
Hitman 2 (including tutorial)
The non-remake flashbacks of Contracts
Tutorial of Blood Money / Start of Kane & Lynch
The next two missions of Blood Money
The non-flashback parts of Contracts
The rest of Blood Money
The end of Kane & Lynch
Kane & Lynch 2 ( Following from one of the endings of K&L)
Absolution
The rest of World of Assassination

And that's only counting the playable parts in the games.

World of Assassination has has bonus missions and elusive targets, which beg the question if 47 visited a location multiple times and when? For example, the intro to the bonus mission Landslide tells you that the person paying for the hit is one of the targets from the main mission that also takes place in Sapienza.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

PhazonLink posted:

I dont know enough about Hitman Lore, but know enough about DX lore, but why?

One of the antagonists of Absolution has a robotic arm, with a Sarif Industries logo on it. Little bit of a crossover easter egg, since both games were published by Eidos, not a real connection between the games other than that.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Veotax posted:

One of the antagonists of Absolution has a robotic arm, with a Sarif Industries logo on it. Little bit of a crossover easter egg, since both games were published by Eidos, not a real connection between the games other than that.

Agent 47 is the DX universe's Jetstream Sam, in which everybody expects the master assassin to be some kind of more-robot-than-man sociopath utilizing bionic technology to the fullest extent it offers in order to kill his targets, but in reality he's just some rear end in a top hat with a robot armattache case

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Crowetron posted:

In Nioh 2, they not only added custom characters, but also let you return to the creation screen from the world map and fully remake your samurai for free as many times as you want. So, even Team Ninja admitted that system in 1 was a useless half-measure.
Also you can still buy items to turn into a bunch of NPCs, but they're a lot easier to get.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Regarding walking in games: one thing I noticed playing through the Kingdom Hearts series in one go a year ago, games have gotten a lot less claustrophobic in recent years, and I consider this to be a good thing for the most part. I don't think it's only a hardware thing, either, but a design philosophy. One of the things I like about Final Fantady XII is its really the only game in the genre of that era that had the courage to have consistently larger areas, especially towns, compare Rabanastre to Bevelle or Luca.

Anyhow, a thing dragging down Control: I finished the DLCs and the base game and I want more. I liked The Foundation way more than The Alan Wake Experience, I didn't like a lot of the combat scenarios and Langston makes my teeth grind (although I think he's intentionally written that way, so I guess that's okay.)

U.T. Raptor posted:

Also you can still buy items to turn into a bunch of NPCs, but they're a lot easier to get.

I get what you're saying here, but at first glance I thought you meant, like, turning the items into NPCs. Like those capsules you'd put in water and get a little foam animal.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Hitman peaked with Blood Money. The game that understood that the series was a puzzle game where the solution was always murder

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

FreudianSlippers posted:

Hitman peaked with Blood Money. The game that understood that the series was a puzzle game where the solution was always murder

Absolution hosed that up but WoA gets it.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

FreudianSlippers posted:

WoA does that and instead of being a small area, it’s a whole level.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

CitizenKain posted:

WoA does that and instead of being a small area, it’s a whole level.

Honestly this is what kills WoA for me, the scale is all wrong and the levels are too big. Did they really need to have the town, the drug lord compound, the hidden tunnels and the coca fields on the same level? especially when you killed their family in Blood Money with only the compound and a few tunnels. Same with a lot of other levels, for example Mumbai has multiple city districts, an abandoned train yard and a high rise building in the same map, even when the BM had tall buildings it cheated and only really had like 3 floors, you just skipped the rest with the elevator. I know it's mostly for the bonus missions , but it makes it a whole lot less focused and having to run around a huge area to find the thing you need for a challenge or whatever really sucks and even more so in the freelancer mode. It also really sucks when one of the targets never really leave their designated area, so it really is two separate hits, just on the same map. The previous games were way more ok with splitting up a single contract across multiple levels( or even games) and they benefited a lot from that.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Almost every WoA level has a way of getting the targets out of their fortress or to meet up somewhere. Often both. Mumbai is one of the best levels in terms of how much you can manipulate the targets.

Doctor Spaceman has a new favorite as of 07:48 on Apr 9, 2023

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The levels are also way smaller once you get to know them and figure out shortcuts and such

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I've been casually working my way through the Donkey Kong Country games lately. The music is one of my favorite things about those games, and it's really jumping out now how much the quality in the third one drops after switching the primary composer from the first two. It's not even bad, there are tracks I like, but the first two games are practically greatest hits compilations for game music from back then.

I guess that's how I feel about most of the game, too - on its own and relative to mid-90s 2D platformers in general I'd rank it pretty highly overall. But in its own series, almost everything about it just feels a bit meh after the last two.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Why did they ditch Donkey Kong from his own franchise in favour of some *****d cousins nobody liked? Who the gently caress was batting for Kiddy Kong?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Who the gently caress was batting for Kiddy Kong?

Not me, even as a complete addict of the first two, 90s me had a kind of "wtf is this poo poo" moment when I saw him

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Why did they ditch Donkey Kong from his own franchise in favour of some *****d cousins nobody liked? Who the gently caress was batting for Kiddy Kong?

Rareware is a British video game developer

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Rareware is a British video game developer

Are you suggesting Jimmy Savile had a hand in this Kiddy business?

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Hel posted:

Honestly this is what kills WoA for me, the scale is all wrong and the levels are too big. Did they really need to have the town, the drug lord compound, the hidden tunnels and the coca fields on the same level? especially when you killed their family in Blood Money with only the compound and a few tunnels. Same with a lot of other levels, for example Mumbai has multiple city districts, an abandoned train yard and a high rise building in the same map, even when the BM had tall buildings it cheated and only really had like 3 floors, you just skipped the rest with the elevator. I know it's mostly for the bonus missions , but it makes it a whole lot less focused and having to run around a huge area to find the thing you need for a challenge or whatever really sucks and even more so in the freelancer mode. It also really sucks when one of the targets never really leave their designated area, so it really is two separate hits, just on the same map. The previous games were way more ok with splitting up a single contract across multiple levels( or even games) and they benefited a lot from that.

I don't disagree with you on this however as an aside i would suggest watching a speedrun of them because on some of the levels the scale can cause them to be very funny.

(This will not solve your issue but it might provide you with a new type of enjoyment)

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

ZeusCannon posted:

I don't disagree with you on this however as an aside i would suggest watching a speedrun of them because on some of the levels the scale can cause them to be very funny.

(This will not solve your issue but it might provide you with a new type of enjoyment)

Yeah, but that's only possible when you've already put tons of time into figuring out all that stuff, and the scale makes that not interesting for me, or you just read about the tricks online, which once again is not my thing.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

For a game almost entirely about subterfuge and trespassing, it’s wild how chill and not-stressful I find Hitman WoA.

That said, I wish some of the levels in 2 and 3 were a bit more straightforward. The one on China in particular is huuuuge and one of the targets always seems to bug out on me and I have to kill them with a gun or something.

E: also the train level finale to 3 is really cool plotwise but any time I go through it I think “this genuinely would have been a better tutorial than the beach house”

Rockman Reserve has a new favorite as of 15:12 on Apr 10, 2023

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Rockman Reserve posted:

For a game almost entirely about subterfuge and trespassing, it’s wild how chill and not-stressful I find Hitman WoA.

That said, I wish some of the levels in 2 and 3 were a bit more straightforward. The one on China in particular is huuuuge and one of the targets always seems to bug out on me and I have to kill them with a gun or something.

E: also the train level finale to 3 is really cool plotwise but any time I go through it I think “this genuinely would have been a better tutorial than the beach house”

It's chill because it's not like you're constantly on the lookout for enemies that might see you or something (unless you're doing a suit-only run or something). It's just you walking around at your own pace, and when you're about to do something illegal, that's when you can sorta just poke your head around and check no one is watching. It's all driven by your actions.

Also the train level would've been cool but it's got a much higher focus on shooting, which is sorta against the games' ethos. Yeah, there are stealthy ways around for sure but as presented it feels a lot more appropriate to just shoot your way through.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Morpheus posted:

Also the train level would've been cool but it's got a much higher focus on shooting, which is sorta against the games' ethos. Yeah, there are stealthy ways around for sure but as presented it feels a lot more appropriate to just shoot your way through.

I mean, it's just WoA's equivilent to the funeral massacre at the end of Blood Money, its cathartic to just shoot everyone.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I like the chill vibe when youre not being max aggro .

like reminds me of some lines from the cheesey action spy tv show Burn Notice where they mention alot of spywork/LEO work is actually just waiting and watching.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

The Regeneradores in the RE4 remake are dummy thicc and the clapping of their rear end cheeks keeps alerting me to their presence

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

bossy lady posted:

The Regeneradores in the RE4 remake are dummy thicc and the clapping of their rear end cheeks keeps alerting me to their presence

Yeah this really surprised me when I saw them. I don't remember the originals too well, but I seemed to remember more spikey ones and way less booty

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I finished Gotham Knights, it's honestly a solid B-game if you can get it for like $20. That said it was obviously supposed to be a live service at some point and the game suffers for it. The gear system doesn't really come into its own until you've beaten the game, until then you're using the Diablo II equivalent of greens and blues (which are, in fact, green and blue). But once you've beaten the game the only thing to do is run around the city thwarting the same 8 or so randomly generated crimes, or this multiplayer focused horde mode that I don't think anyone is playing and I have zero interest in. Still, I thought it was a fun Batman game while it lasted, although it has like half the content of something like Arkham City.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Morpheus posted:

Yeah this really surprised me when I saw them. I don't remember the originals too well, but I seemed to remember more spikey ones and way less booty

The ones in the original also had big thighs, just not to the same extent as Re4make. They didn't have the whole pear shape going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The remake Regenerators look less like the Heaven Smiles they're obviously based on, and are therefore worse.