Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Poopbutt posted:

I think some people may be wanting a different show to the one that actually exists. This isn't Breaking Bad, it's Weeds. This isn't prestige, it's pulp. The target audience of this show is all the Shauna's of the world. Middle age moms daydreaming about having dark secrets, affairs with sexy artists and feeling dangerous and powerful. And that's a good thing.

It's schlock, and I'm loving it. Only problem with schlock is it can easily go from "fun to watch" to "fun to watch to make fun of". Think about how quickly Weeds or Dexter nosedived. But I'm still in for the ride. I hope this show is just five seasons of fun, but I can also imagine a scenario where I am hatewatching Season 5 Episode 4 (the episode where it is revealed that Jackie had an unmentioned twin sister pulling the strings the whole time) along with the thread and still enjoying myself.

What would be an example of a prestige series that isn’t genre trash at its core? I get the distinction here, but I’d say it’s in the telling as much as the story. Mad Men was a soap opera, but it made good use of the tv form. Breaking Bad is extremely similar in that regard—it’s a crime thriller, or the tv equivalent of those old magazines with the lurid covers, but told very well and careful about where it puts its attention.

I’d worry that Yellowjackets ends up like Westworld.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Poopbutt posted:

I think some people may be wanting a different show to the one that actually exists. This isn't Breaking Bad, it's Weeds. This isn't prestige, it's pulp. The target audience of this show is all the Shauna's of the world. Middle age moms daydreaming about having dark secrets, affairs with sexy artists and feeling dangerous and powerful. And that's a good thing.

Yellowjackets' target audience is the gays, as declared by Melanie Lynskey herself.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

xeria posted:

Yellowjackets' target audience is the gays, as declared by Melanie Lynskey herself.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Open Source Idiom posted:

Most television is genre trash/pulp tbh, even Breaking Bad. Just look at Tuco or Tuco's uncle, or so so much about the villains generally. They're straight out of pulpy villain nonsense.

Similarly, Breaking Bad is just as much a fantasy for middle aged dudes as this show is a fantasy for teenaged and middle aged women.

It's also, frequently, a show that made an exercise of genre. It has multiple trapped with a killer episodes, a riff on a trapped in a box ep, a heist episode or two -- genre exercises are a classic staple of pulp television.

It's pulp. Very well constructed pulp, but I think it's undeniably that.

But even ignoring that, you can construct genre trash/pulp well, and you can construct it poorly, and tbh I think it's fine to criticise Yellowjackets for being poorly constructed.
I'm perfectly cool with trash as long as it's fun, which the pilot and to a slightly lesser degree the rest of S1 was. This season just feels much more boring (cannibalism aside) so far. That would make sense if they're really trying to stretch it out to 5 seasons.

Escobarbarian posted:

It’s not so much that it’s actively bad as that there’s clearly a much better version of the show struggling to break free, one that doesn’t waste time with filler episodes and the like. But it’s on Showtime who live by the rule of :regd08: so I don’t have much hope it’ll ever become that version of the show.
:yeah:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Example: the Melanie Lynskey storyline in the latest episode was pretty okay. It was funny when Jeff hosed things up when she had the upper hand, and her monologue was good. But like…..what was the point of it? What did it tell us about Shauna that we weren’t already fully aware of? I love Lynskey but I wish she was interacting with the other leads more instead of being stuck in her own storyline with Jeff and her lovely daughter. Same with like, adult Missy, her and Frodo is a ton of fun but I wish it didn’t just feel like killing time until the important things can happen. Like it’s so obvious they’ll do the same thing as s1, bring them together for one episode just after the midpoint but otherwise keep them largely separate, and that’s just not the best version of this show, which imo would have the adult leads together much more and be more actively propulsive

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Adult Shauna's storyline has always been boring though (there's no book club?! excepted)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think this season is just so poorly structured. Everyone's off in their own little convenient to schedule covid bubble, which sure, whatever, cost of doing business. But find some connective tissue, make meaningful cuts between scenes.

TBH I think these first three episodes might have been stronger if each of the non Shauna adult subplots had been written to hold down a single episode, with more sustained focus and a stronger, more purposeful point to be made.

Kid Misty's thing this ep, and some of Coach's "flashbacks"... there were far better ways of handling them. They just felt like they were sweaty excuses to have the actors do things in ways that had the shape of a plot, rather than actual subplots in and of themselves.

I was entertained, sure, but they weren't well composed.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Just in case I sound too down about the show: my absolute favourite thing about the opening credits this season is the absolutely-insane-but-actually-perfect shot of Adult Misty laughing in the Twin Peaks Red Room. I hope it's never explained or contextualised.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

Adult Shauna's storyline has always been boring though (there's no book club?! excepted)

This is not an excuse my good friend Rarity!!!!!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I hope we find out why The Man With No Eyes looks so extremely 90s but started appearing to Taissa in what was probably the early 80s at the latest, looking all like in-his-prime Trent Reznor or Keanu.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

I AM GRANDO posted:

I hope we find out why The Man With No Eyes looks so extremely 90s but started appearing to Taissa in what was probably the early 80s at the latest, looking all like in-his-prime Trent Reznor or Keanu.

Considering her grandmother was also possibly seeing him he's even more anachronistic.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Not liking a thing is not the same as it being bad, per say.

BUT… the no eyes guy is slender man as hell and is my least favorite thing right now.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Weird supernatural ghosts can change clothes too y'know

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I wasn't really impressed by the episode, but that ending montage to that song ruled.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWIvvDjOt-A
"Can't stop what's coming. Can't stop what's on it's way."
Such a good mood of inevitable doom.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

Example: the Melanie Lynskey storyline in the latest episode was pretty okay. It was funny when Jeff hosed things up when she had the upper hand, and her monologue was good. But like…..what was the point of it? What did it tell us about Shauna that we weren’t already fully aware of? I love Lynskey but I wish she was interacting with the other leads more instead of being stuck in her own storyline with Jeff and her lovely daughter. Same with like, adult Missy, her and Frodo is a ton of fun but I wish it didn’t just feel like killing time until the important things can happen. Like it’s so obvious they’ll do the same thing as s1, bring them together for one episode just after the midpoint but otherwise keep them largely separate, and that’s just not the best version of this show, which imo would have the adult leads together much more and be more actively propulsive

It told us that she is on the verge of completely losing it. They've teased slight serial killer behaviour from her throughout the series, but even when she actually killed someone she expressed some regret there. If you take her monologue at her word, which I do, then it's clear that she doesn't actually regret killing Adam at all. It's maybe not all that surprising, but it is a pretty severe escalation, in my opinion.

That scene is basically why I watch this show so calling it unimportant just makes me think a lot of people in this thread will never be happy with it.

Edit: I think that's maybe the thing people need to expect with this show - it's not Lost, it's just not a mystery box. There IS a mystery, but it's largely about having fun with its characters and letting the actresses go nuts more than anything. Like we knew they were going to go cannibal from day 1, that was not in question, but the circumstances around it and the way it was filmed was the fun part, for me at least.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 9, 2023

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I had thought that the 1996 scenes would play everything deadly straight as things deteriorate while the 2022 story stays shot through with irony, but even without the Steel Magnolias monologue, poo poo like “Tai, WE ate Jackie!” means the whole thing is going to be goofy some of the time. I like how the scene at the chop shop starts really arch and then shades into something creepier for a few moments. Shauna might really kill her daughter eventually.

I like Coach Ben’s period-appropriate Seinfeld-rear end apartment/mind apartment.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
why would a chop shop want their lovely minivan

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

He literally said it was rusted to poo poo and to just take it.

The guy sticking them up was just hitting whoever came by.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Well that was a filler episode

Also Shauna and Jeff keep acting guilty as poo poo in front of the cops lmao

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

As a Ryan Murphy watcher/sufferer, this show is just fine thank u.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Van’s delivery of “You ate her face!” to an incredulous Tai was just so perfect. How that actress managed to thread the needle between serious and total camp was amazing.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I did enjoy the irony of Van getting to tell her that.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Open Source Idiom posted:

Just in case I sound too down about the show: my absolute favourite thing about the opening credits this season is the absolutely-insane-but-actually-perfect shot of Adult Misty laughing in the Twin Peaks Red Room. I hope it's never explained or contextualised.

Huh? No way I would have missed that ...

Oh huh

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

fullroundaction posted:

Huh? No way I would have missed that ...

Oh huh

holy poo poo, I did not make that connection at all

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Despite multiple production issues and flighty actresses, my partner managed to film the dining scene from episode 2 with an all chicken cast.

**Edit**
Things seem to be broken

RudeCat fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Apr 11, 2023

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
That didn't seem to work

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

RudeCat posted:

Despite multiple production issues and flighty actresses, my partner managed to film the dining scene from episode 2 with an all chicken cast.

looks like tiktok embeds are broken have a different medium instead!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHCMob1m2VQ

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

City of Glompton posted:

lmao

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.
I don't know anything about Big Van's actress, but hoping she is near as charismatic as Lil Van. All the actors in this are pretty great, so chances are good.

Misty looks like more of a psychopath in that red room image, but also way more dolled up than usual.

City of Glompton posted:

fantastic

Poopbutt
Aug 15, 2022

UltraShame posted:

I don't know anything about Big Van's actress, but hoping she is near as charismatic as Lil Van. All the actors in this are pretty great, so chances are good.

Lauren Ambrose who plays adult Van was excellent in Six Feet Under, which is a must watch series. So my hopes are high as well.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

She was also really good in Servant. Did some high-caliber scene chewing there, and that show also was a blend of campy horror and comedy so it’s a good pairing with Yellowjackets.

I forgot until now that she also played the “new Scully” in a few episodes of the X-Files revival. Don’t really remember anything about her performance except for the scene when a tripping Mulder imagines her as a dominatrix whipping him inside a UFO.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Lauren Ambrose in Servant is an absolute top-tier camp performance

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Chairman Capone posted:

I forgot until now that she also played the “new Scully” in a few episodes of the X-Files revival. Don’t really remember anything about her performance except for the scene when a tripping Mulder imagines her as a dominatrix whipping him inside a UFO.

I seem to recall that she played the role pretty straight.

But yeah, Lauren Ambrose is incredible, and it's a shame her career never really took off like it should have after Six Feet Under. I get excited whenever she's in something I'm watching.

When the Six Feet Under series finale aired, I showed friends the final 10 minutes. They had never seen the show before, but they were still moved to tears.

Because it was taken down from youtube (only crappy versions let up), here's a Daily Motion video

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xcnghv

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Do not watch the six feet under video posted above without watching the series.

One of the best shows I’ve ever seen with probably the best final scene in tv history. If you watched the show and didn’t cry during it you’re dead inside.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

why would a chop shop want their lovely minivan

The thief would much rather carjack something he could sell for a couple thousand, but when you’re already driving away in the minivan you’ll take a few hundred from the chop shop when you get there.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

DamnGlitch posted:

He literally said it was rusted to poo poo and to just take it.

The guy sticking them up was just hitting whoever came by.

Props to the carjacker to still closing the deal even after losing his gun, honestly.

Poopbutt
Aug 15, 2022
While looking up Lauren Ambrose on Wikipedia I came across this, “She is also the lead singer of the ragtime band Lauren Ambrose and the Leisure Class.”

It is now canon that Van grew up to be a ragtime singer. The show may try and claim otherwise, but I know this in my heart.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Mari continues to be the Absolute Worst.

In the wilderness, Misty is commiting the most vile taboo of all...turning into a theatre kid.

And adult Nat's penchant for pulling weird faces pays off in a fun way.

In another scene I was also reminded of something Nat said at the party the night before the crash: "Lottie...you never talk poo poo unless someone really deserves it"

I am very happy that shot of Lottie climbing into an underground tunnel thing was just a vision. Javi, where were you this whole time??? I am worried for how this plays out for Nat and Travis. Obviously they'll be together for some time as adults but I'm so invested in seeing the past play out.

Misty and Walter's matching gold face mask treatments was :kiss:

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

coronatae posted:

Mari continues to be the Absolute Worst.

In the wilderness, Misty is commiting the most vile taboo of all...turning into a theatre kid.

And adult Nat's penchant for pulling weird faces pays off in a fun way.

In another scene I was also reminded of something Nat said at the party the night before the crash: "Lottie...you never talk poo poo unless someone really deserves it"

I am very happy that shot of Lottie climbing into an underground tunnel thing was just a vision. Javi, where were you this whole time??? I am worried for how this plays out for Nat and Travis. Obviously they'll be together for some time as adults but I'm so invested in seeing the past play out.

Misty and Walter's matching gold face mask treatments was :kiss:

It's super funny how I was completely wrong about the climbing thing from the preview last week, and then Javi shows up anyway, just being a dude! Where have you been little man?

Quite liked the "okay everyone needs to put on warm clothes!" [entire gang immediately runs out without putting any warm clothes on]

Good episode that. Still a bit bored by the present day stuff, but the past is getting weirder and weirder so that's always interesting.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
obvious prediction
someone did return with food that day, but it was taissa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.

joepinetree posted:

obvious prediction
someone did return with food that day, but it was taissa