Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

It occurs to me that there's a pretty fine line between "wacky hijinks of a family living outdoors" and just "being homeless".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Was Stella part of the Mary Worth cast before she started dating Wilbur? Is Wilbur out of the friend rotation now that Stella is Mary’s pal?

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
"Hey, person I'm mildly romantically involved with, would it be ok for me to come work for you?"

"Yes, I can't see what could possibly go wrong!"

Also:
I'm interested in hearing Dr. Robotnik's seminar.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

If you know there is no wind, then why the gently caress are you trying to fly a kite!? I swear, Zoomers!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Speaking as an introvert, this would be very helpful to have sometimes. :hai:

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Cthulhu and Girl

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

The is the son of the factory owner, isn't it?

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Ardeem posted:

The is the son of the factory owner, isn't it?

Of course it is!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I uh...may be reading too much into it, but I really don't like the way the ape is drawn in the daily Invisible Scarlet strips...

How does Old Yeller work in Hellworld? Is Yeller a hobo that the family decides to adopt? Is the kid killing his adopted brother at the end?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Twelve by Pies posted:

I uh...may be reading too much into it, but I really don't like the way the ape is drawn in the daily Invisible Scarlet strips...

You too? He's got real weird energy.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Isn't that a pretty common point of discussion in American media from the time involving giant apes? Certainly it's been talked about with the first King Kong film. Is the ape just a big giant ape? Is it an allegory? An unconscious reflection of the creative team's views who were steeped in the white supremacy and racist eugenics of the day? It's hard to separate sometimes.

Hell, real live humans were still found in exhibitions, circuses, and the like well into the 20th century.

All this to say, yeah it pinged something on my radar, too.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Have a couple funny Tarzan panels (the text doesn't matter)

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise: The Stone Age Caper

Four men and an Aborigine, you say?

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

Resident Idiot posted:

Four men and an Aborigine, you say?

This Story is what actually got the Modesty Blaise reruns cancelled in Australia a couple years ago.
Apparently it's going to get worse

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Hooray, More Child Endangerment!

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Kit + The Wolf

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

My Patreon subscribers ($3+) can read this whole story in full, now!

The X-Men are a bunch of lads who go to a school run by a bald fella who constantly sends them to their deaths. This story takes place around 1985-86.

Brick Springstern is a singer who, accompanied by the “10th Avenue Band”, has delighted crowds all over the world, but most specifically, the Transformers in issue 14 of their Marvel series. Annoyingly, he is credited in that comic as “Brick Springhorn” 50% of the time, and you have to decide which side you’re on. I consulted James Roberts, who wrote Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye” for IDW, and he said I should go “Springstern”.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The_Other posted:

Kit + The Wolf

That story can be dated pretty precisely because the Phoenix on that version of the X-Men team was only there for like 15 months before getting written out and becoming part of Excalibur.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

The_Other posted:

Kit + The Wolf

I appreciate that we straight up have the X-Men here, but we still get "Willy Joel" and "John Cheetah Beiderbeck."

Like if you're flirting with copyright infringement just go all out imo.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 7/2/50

Archie 1/16-18/47

The "snow train" from Boston to Gilford was a real thing, incidentally.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

For all the times we justifiably slag on FOOB, this one's just adorable. So how are we getting screwed over tomorrow?

Anyway, it's A Sketchy Life, the travel number for April 7, 1927! And we start with a John Held Jr. state-enforced staycation.

Russell Patterson:

Brown (a first name would be nice, but not necessary just yet):

Herb Roth:

The twelve-mile limit was the Volstead Act-mandated territorial waters where Prohibition was enforced off the American shores. The 12-Mile Limit cocktail was named as a double-bird to the forces of propriety.

Fred G Cooper writes another story but breaks my heart by not lettering it this time:

Don Herold:

Percy Crosby:

And a Gluyas Williams panorama:

Next week: the Easter number. Stop looking at me like that.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 10, 2023

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

EasyEW posted:

You're lucky it's been raining all day. :tipshat:

Or the "half-assed attempt at authenticity" version:

Wow!

I hate to ask, but since you've presumably just been through the entire archive, can you find the one where the pizza place calls Walt and says they're worried that they haven't heard from them yet?

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise: The Stone Age Caper

I don't know what other twists and turns this rip-roaring Novelty Blouse story has in store, but for the time being: 'Abo' is a slur. Most non-Australians aren't aware of that since it sounds like any other innocuous nickname, but, now you know. You might like to start using sensitivity spoilers and warnings for some of these pages — erring on the side of caution if the wide, exciting spectrum of Australian racial issues is alien to you.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Apr 7, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (Mar 30-31, 1993)

I'm reasonably certain you could find a book on both of those subjects. Just not both in the same book.

Big Nate

Dunce

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

EasyEW posted:

For all the times we justifiably slag on FOOB, this one's just adorable. So how are we getting screwed over tomorrow?

let's see!

Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

well! ok!

Classic Arlo and Janis (May 07, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

~Coxy posted:

Wow!

I hate to ask, but since you've presumably just been through the entire archive, can you find the one where the pizza place calls Walt and says they're worried that they haven't heard from them yet?

The entire archive? Not exactly. But you went and threw the gauntlet down, so here we are again. :D

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Apr 10, 2023

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

I guess this confirms that Crabgrass is set in the 80's.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

EasyEW posted:

The entire archive? Not exactly. But you went and threw the gauntlet down, so here we are again. :D

Nice to see a funny Zits for a change. :neckbeard:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Classic Zits was genuinely a great strip. When we had some classic Zits being posted last year (I think? time is fuckin hard) it was a highlight of the thread imo.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

Krazy Kat(August 13, 1916) timged due to a potential slight case of 1916

Little Nemo(January 7, 1906) - spoilered due to a bad case of 1906

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

Quick, blame it on the boy, that will fix everything.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Sep. 02, 1956)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

No new Buni yet.

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 4/9/03

Brenda Starr 10/2-4/50

Smokey Stover 12/27/53

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 3/31 - 4/2/41

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Jeremy did not unwrap the candy.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Hippocrass posted:

I guess this confirms that Crabgrass is set in the 80's.

Crabgrass has always been explicitly set in the mid-late 80s with sometimes 90s stuff sneaking in there, when Tauhid was a kid.

Sometimes people confuse this with Wallace, which is set in the present, but people sometimes forget that it is because Will Henry doesn't like drawing cell phones and such.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

EasyEW posted:

Thanks so much! I really appreciate it!

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

Nice to see Dethany has finally decided to look for a new job.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

EasyEW posted:

Brown (a first name would be nice, but not necessary just yet):

Surprisingly accurate.

Kazinsal posted:

Classic Zits was genuinely a great strip. When we had some classic Zits being posted last year (I think? time is fuckin hard) it was a highlight of the thread imo.

Yes it was. Used to be one of my favorite strips but modern Zits is not as good. I think the writers are getting too far removed from parent-of-a-teen age and/or running out of material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox