Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

My main issue with Fallen Order is people billed it as being like Sekiro/Souls but a lot of that is purely surface-level. There were maybe 3-4 fights in the entire game that were what I would call a Souls-level fight. The first half of the game's bosses didn't even have a second phase that I could discern. It felt more like Uncharted but without the shooting and sometimes you could create a shortcut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

My main issue with Fallen Order is people billed it as being like Sekiro/Souls but a lot of that is purely surface-level. There were maybe 3-4 fights in the entire game that were what I would call a Souls-level fight. The first half of the game's bosses didn't even have a second phase that I could discern. It felt more like Uncharted but without the shooting and sometimes you could create a shortcut.

That’s funny to me because basically all of the things I find myself not liking about it are things stripped straight out of Souls (ignoring antecedent things) without really good consideration or context. Dudes hiding in the corner of doorways happens constantly in FO, to an exhausting degree. Fights with reinforcements feel pretty terrible with how the combat is set up. Large creatures all feel terrible to fight which isn’t really a Souls thing directly but there’s almost always one larger animal in every really long run to the next bonfire they do. Those really long bonfire distances also love to have super unnecessary platforming parts that really slow it down.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

you underestimate the power of the Dark Souls

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

anilEhilated posted:

Slightly related, but I'm some 20 hours into Steelrising now and I think this might finally be the good Spiders game. Surprisingly solid combat, lots of stuff to explore (even if all the areas look the same), all in all a very fun soulslike.

Steelrising is a game I still want to get. It makes me hopeful that Greedfall 2 will be really good.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FutureCop posted:

Couple of thoughts while playing these games:

STAR WARS Jedi: Fallen Order: Having fun, but there's something kind of...off about this game that's bugging me. It's just got a much more jankier and unpolished feel and design to it than I expected considering how polished it looks like it should feel. When everything works, it's nice, but as much as it looks like it should be some smooth and slick combination of Uncharted with Sekiro combat, it's like playing Elex or something similarly low-budget, but with triple A visual/audio polish overlaid on top, like a copper pot with gold veneer, I dunno. Wonder if other people got this feel and if there is something I should do to help: I'll stick with it a bit more to see if it grabs me, and I'm starting to get used to its kind of awkward unspoken rules for combat. Exploration is also a bit weird in how, despite how grandiose the worlds look and it all being outdoors, I feel cramped and claustrophobic, stuck on very thin paths and tunnels and corridors.

There is a new gameplay trailer for Jedi Survivor https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmj3ty-Wt48 and gently caress, it looks so amazing. Like, takes every single thing about Fallen Order, and improves upon and fixes all of the issues with the Fallen Order. Very excited for this game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

I think you have that battle star galactic game on your wishlist and it’s free till tomorrow or something.

BattleStar Galactic: Deadlock is free on steam until noon 4-9-2023

Thank you! Purchased the complete bundle, it was on a deep discount.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Any recent cozy game suggestions? My wife is finished with Wylde Flowers (don't see it mentioned much but she adored it) and looking for something new. She is looking for a life/farm/witch/etc sim but with a proper story.

Played and liked: Stardew Valley, Cozy Grove, Dreamlight Valley, Wylde Flowers
Neutral: My Time at Portia, Harvestella
Not Liked: Rune Factory (stiff gameplay, overwritten stilted story), Animal Crossings (not enough gameplay and story)

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

FuzzySlippers posted:

Any recent cozy game suggestions? My wife is finished with Wylde Flowers (don't see it mentioned much but she adored it) and looking for something new. She is looking for a life/farm/witch/etc sim but with a proper story.

Not Liked: Rune Factory (stiff gameplay, overwritten stilted story), Animal Crossings (not enough gameplay and story)

Unfortunately she's already played all the best life sims and the ask for a proper story eliminates my usual next suggestion.

Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town very heavily influenced Stardew Valley. It's older and feels rougher in a lot of ways, but if she's looking for a new set of stories, maybe give that a try.

For a good story, maybe try Golden Treasure of the Great Green. It's a CYOA but it's one of the best narratives I've enjoyed in a game and for me it was a pretty cozy game.

I don't usually recommend Pumpkin Days because the controls are a bit rough, but it may be worth checking out since she's already played most of the better options.

Maybe try cross-posting in the Farm sim thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4011042

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FuzzySlippers posted:

NGL here but Disney Dreamlight Valley is great.

It’s early access but I’ve put in a good 5-6 hours and it doesn’t feel like it’s EA. I’m digging the story too

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

FuzzySlippers posted:

Has she looked at Atelier? It's more on the RPG side than life sim, but retains a lot of sim elements with gathering and various alchemy crafting. Some of the games are so chill about progression they might as well be life sims. The stories are usually solid at minimum, others quite good, and are proper stories.

There's Potionomics too, but that's more of a timed Recettear thing than freely directed. It's less about making actual potions than it is haggling and it's characters.

Mystia's Izakaya has proved to be rather fun, though it's chillness is dependent on how well you handle floods of customers (the patience timers are pretty generous though). It is quite cozy though and you don't need to know anything about Touhou to enjoy it, coming from someone who knows nothing about Touhou. It also has a main story it sets up immediately, but very gradual in it's progression to that point.

As for any outright farming-sim stuff, you've already hit all the recent ones I can think of.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

MarcusSA posted:

NGL here but Disney Dreamlight Valley is great.

It’s early access but I’ve put in a good 5-6 hours and it doesn’t feel like it’s EA. I’m digging the story too

It struck me as odd how it's EA on Steam but the PS store versions don't have any classification like that. Especially after the PS4 Cyberpunk launch fiasco; you'd think Sony would be bit more upfront with disclaimers.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Another demo batch:

Cuboid Keeper

A decent twin-stick shooter that gives me nostalgia for the early Xbox Live Arcade era of indie games, it has that look and feel. You blast enemies and then hoover up their gems whenever you're not firing, then between levels you can use the gems to create weapon/skill/stat blocks that you can add to your ship as long as you have a spare slot (with each level completed you can add another free block). Pretty neat and I think at sale time it hits $2.

Chester's Revenge

Another one where the artist of the game should maybe pair up with another developer. It wants to be Contra, but it doesn't feel good to jump or shoot, and you can't shoot diagonally. Very boring level design.

Dandy Dungeon

A former mobile game, Dandy Dungeon deserves a look because it's by Onion (Chulip/Moon) and it's got that trademark weird tone. The gameplay takes the draw-a-line puzzle concept and applies it to a dungeon crawler, where you draw a line through an entire floor of a dungeon, carving through enemies and collecting treasure in the process. Don't mistake it for Grindstone, however. This leans more on the puzzle side and application of items/gear that you collect. Since it was a former mobile game, the full game seems to have a ton of content and gear, although it will be very repetitive in nature due to its mobile origins. Still, it's pretty neat.

Funk Unplugged

Honestly, I've played much worse indie 3D platformers, especially from 5+ years ago when this originates. It's still low budget in its presentation, but it feels ok to jump around and collect things, and its regular price is $5, so I might dip in when it has a sale.

Garbanzo Quest

A cute platformer with a badge mechanic that allows you to equip 2 different abilities to suit your particular playstyle. In the demo I didn't have any sort of run button in the opening couple of levels so that kind of put me off, because the pace was a bit too slow for me to super enjoy it. But it's got fun art and music. Just maybe not for me.

Infinitevania

Meh platformer, doesn't feel super great to run around or jump. These are such basic things that are a baseline expectation for me and I can't go forward with a game anymore if it doesn't at least clear this low hurdle.

Justice Sucks

Definitely the best and most polished demo I played today. It's an action-stealth game where you zoom around as a roomba and activate traps to kill intruders, then suck up their blood/corpses in order to power up additional abilities like teleporting and ramming into people. Then when the level's over, you have a countdown to try and clean up all the remaining footprints/blood to get a better grade. This is very solid and... I'd get it but I don't actually remember if I maybe got it in a bundle already or not? Like maybe I have it through Amazon Prime or something? I'll have to check.

Life on Mars

Maybe this plays better when you have a lot of upgrades, but it didn't feel good to play the demo, even though the idea of an MSX2 remake is neat to me. Makes me wonder what the original game was like. But I'm not interested in this version.

I also tried an upcoming game called Gem Venture but it flat out was broken on the Deck, which is a rarity. The game booted up but the first level was unplayable, with sprites and most of the level not showing up.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 10, 2023

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

FuzzySlippers posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1432860/Sun_Haven came out of EA pretty recently and is supposed to be pretty similar to Stardew but with more of a narrative.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Crab Champions is very fun and I think I might be ready to move up from the easy difficulty since I just managed to complete a three loop run. Bubble launcher is great.

Mufasa Nigel
Jul 8, 2005

I've never really got into space games so Everspace 2's arcadey feel has gelled with me. As pretty simple as it is, rooting through all the nooks and crannies to find hidden loot/solve puzzles is pretty chill. I'm in the second system on hard and the combat does get more difficult.

Until I saved up for a 150k scout sniper ship, now my railgun can shoot out 4500km away. With the teleporter device upgraded, Good luck getting near me fucko's. Can instantly move 2.4km away if I get swarmed. If that's on cooldown, my ult's usually up so time to go invisible and do double damage while I'm at it. Great for boost strafing fights too, so zippy.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

FuzzySlippers posted:

My wife has very similar tastes and recently enjoyed Wytchwood and Bear and Breakfast. I didn’t get the sense that either were huge on narrative tho.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

She might want to try Recettear? It's a shop sim, not a farming sim, but it's similar.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

FuzzySlippers posted:

Spiritfarer might appeal, very story focused.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FuzzySlippers posted:

Oh and Dreamlight valley is free on gamepass if she wants to give it a try.

I also think the music is pretty fantastic but I like disney stuff so :shrug:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

There's also Dreamlight Valley

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Don't forget about Dreamlight Valley

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

If no one has suggested yet, you should give Dreamlight Valley a look.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I wasn't rich enough to know about Disney growing up so I have no nostalgia for it, but I think they made some kind of Disney-themed farming sim too.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I can't understand anyone who likes Stardew but doesn't like Rune Factory since it does everything pretty much better.

Also Everspace 2, don't ever take any station repair job, I just had to hunt down 21 leaks and they don't even highlight the last few ones remaining, it's terrible.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Even just the first mission to go fix the 3 "Beanies" really killed my enjoyment of the game. Flying around shooting things is fun enough I suppose, but not enjoying any of the "puzzle" aspects like needing to ferry Power Cores into Sockets and such :(

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

I can't understand anyone who likes Stardew but doesn't like Rune Factory since it does everything pretty much better.

Anime.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Rune Factory 4 has a really arduous opening and tutorial (thread topical!) so I can understand bouncing off it.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I didn't like how Rune Factory looked or played.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

mycot posted:

Rune Factory 4 has a really arduous opening and tutorial (thread topical!) so I can understand bouncing off it.

Yeah I absolutely love 4 but this is definitely true.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I’ve only played RF5 and its first few days are pretty painful. they send you to talk to every single villager in town as one of your first objectives instead of introducing them organically.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Some release date updates:

- Tron Infinity (officially-licensed VN by the dev of Subsurface Circular) releases tomorrow.

- Rusted Moss on April 12th.

- Desktop Dungeons Rewind (3d remake of the original) releases April 18th

- Dysmantle DLC (Doomsday) releases April 19th

and the big one...

- Shadows of Doubt launches in Early Access on April 24th.

quote:

The game is in a very advanced state of development - while there are plans for new content and further optimisations, the game is functionally complete with a full suite of features, cases, content and a complete Sandbox Mode, beyond what you may usually expect from an Early Access title. Both myself and the publisher are confident in the overall quality, breadth of content and playability of Shadows of Doubt’s Early Access release.

However, there are some key things that launching in Early Access allows for, not least of which being more content. It was always a goal of mine to develop post-release content for the game, but launching into Early Access means I can bring that new content directly into the pre-1.0 roadmap, meaning there’ll now be even more for players to discover in the initial base game when the full version launches (and Early Access players will of course get this content for free as it’s added to the game).

It releasing so soon after the Next Fest gives me the (likely legitimate) concern that procedural NPC conversation will still be very bad, but hopefully the rest of the investigation work is good, given that the cases are meant to be hand-crafted.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 10, 2023

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I'm not sure which specific Rune Factory's folks are talking about, because while I like 4 well enough (although I never completed it) the first three were all sort of arduous.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

FutureCop posted:

Couple of thoughts while playing these games:

STAR WARS Jedi: Fallen Order: Having fun, but there's something kind of...off about this game that's bugging me. It's just got a much more jankier and unpolished feel and design to it than I expected considering how polished it looks like it should feel. When everything works, it's nice, but as much as it looks like it should be some smooth and slick combination of Uncharted with Sekiro combat, it's like playing Elex or something similarly low-budget, but with triple A visual/audio polish overlaid on top, like a copper pot with gold veneer, I dunno. Wonder if other people got this feel and if there is something I should do to help: I'll stick with it a bit more to see if it grabs me, and I'm starting to get used to its kind of awkward unspoken rules for combat. Exploration is also a bit weird in how, despite how grandiose the worlds look and it all being outdoors, I feel cramped and claustrophobic, stuck on very thin paths and tunnels and corridors.
Yeah it really does have a rough feel to it. I tried playing and when I really got into it it was fine, but if I put the game down for even a few days and pick it back up I have to push past that feeling all over again. I wouldn't go as far as to say the movement is poo poo, but I don't think I would have given it the chance I did if it weren't a Star Wars(tm) game with high review scores.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Gripper posted:

Yeah it really does have a rough feel to it. I tried playing and when I really got into it it was fine, but if I put the game down for even a few days and pick it back up I have to push past that feeling all over again. I wouldn't go as far as to say the movement is poo poo, but I don't think I would have given it the chance I did if it weren't a Star Wars(tm) game with high review scores.

Just really hoping the sequel fine tunes the movement. It felt like Respawn was getting into unfamiliar territory with Fallen Order. As a studio they haven't made a game like this before, but it felt like their senior leadership had never made a game like this before period at any other company either.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Why do all these farming games keep shoving mediocre combat stuff into them?

I don’t want to fight, I want to chill and grow turnips.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Serious answer: because they generally want to add some kind of alternate gameplay loop involving crafting, and it's a lot easier to tack on a bare-bones RPG with combat and stats that way than try and shoehorn layers upon layers of stats into the farming aspect (since, let's be real, this would make the actual farming loving miserable).

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I don’t want to fight, I want to chill and grow turnips.

I got you covered, check this one. Well rated, no combat, relaxing, original Harvest Moon series under a new name.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

Chester's Revenge

Another one where the artist of the game should maybe pair up with another developer. It wants to be Contra, but it doesn't feel good to jump or shoot, and you can't shoot diagonally. Very boring level design.

Forgot to reply to this earlier, I kinda know the devs through a local indie game dev group! The art is in fact really great. I haven't played it though to weigh in there, just thought it was kinda neat to see a random project I kinda figured no one would ever hear about :v:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

But, but, but, I liked the cave dungeon systems in Stardew Valley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

secretly best girl posted:

Serious answer: because they generally want to add some kind of alternate gameplay loop involving crafting, and it's a lot easier to tack on a bare-bones RPG with combat and stats that way than try and shoehorn layers upon layers of stats into the farming aspect (since, let's be real, this would make the actual farming loving miserable).

it's good in Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin