Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

it helps to learn english before you try

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

I am once again coming here to tell you that Slott's latest Spiderverse is still just dogshit

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

srypher posted:

Has the new creative team for Hulk been announced yet? I saw David Pepose is writing an annual and I feel like he'd be a really solid writer for the character.
Philip Kennedy Johnson and Nic Klein, starting in June.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Soonmot posted:

The Immortal Hulk Omnibus is up for preorder, 1600 pages!!!

https://a.co/d/44GAr5f

Christ almighty, is that a new record? I remember being flabbergasted at the idea of the Infinite Crisis omnibus being nearly 1500 pages. I guess this is just a thing we do now.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

JordanKai posted:

Christ almighty, is that a new record? I remember being flabbergasted at the idea of the Infinite Crisis omnibus being nearly 1500 pages. I guess this is just a thing we do now.

I like the very large omnibuses because not only do they contain good stories, but they also double as a tool to use in home defense

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The only comparable omnibus we sell at the store I work at is the Bone omnibus (1300+ pages) and that’s in black and white. The pages are still as thin as Bible pages, though

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I've been reading the Dororo omnibus, which is 850 or so, and that book is a loving nightmare to hold in either hand or lap. I've been meaning to try this Hulk run but even my crazed self cannot justify what sounds like the most unwieldy edition imaginable.

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?
The 4 volumes of paperback omnis are pretty solid

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Codependent Poster posted:

Though I do agree that the fights with the FF and Cap seem a little manufactured.
They did seem to get afflicted with a major case of Guest Star Syndrome where they act completely different from how they'd act in their own titles. Cap is going "You are worrying the US GOVERNMENT" and it's like pls, no Marvel character has cared about what the US government thinks for like seven years :v:

T'Challa also catches a horrible case of this illness in the recent Rogue and Gambit issue.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

srypher posted:

The 4 volumes of paperback omnis are pretty solid

Thanks, I hadn't begun pricing out the trades on these yet but I was operating off the hardcovers tending to be solid for a long enough run. I'll go looking for the more liftable option next time I hit the local shops.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

A 1600 page Omnibus would look great on my shelf, but for actually reading the thing I will just stick to my digital copies. I buy Omnibi as a celebration of a series I loved and not as a thing to actually read.

I suspected this is largely true for most people who don't have a lectern set up in there comic room.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
An omnibus is like those fancy soaps in your mom's bathroom. While they're techinically usable, they are purely meant to be decoration.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Would it make a big dent in demand if it was sold as a boxset?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Joe Fisto posted:

An omnibus is like those fancy soaps in your mom's bathroom. While they're techinically usable, they are purely meant to be decoration.

This may be the best explanation I've ever seen for how I treat them.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Wait, you guys don't buy omnibuses to read them?

I'll admit it takes me much too long to get around to them sometimes, but the majority of the omnibuses on my shelves have been read front to back at this point.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I have read every Omnibus I have exactly once.

OSHCs get more attention

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
A lot of the Marvel ones are absolutely too big to read, especially the 'classic' runs like the Stan and Jack FF or Claremont X-Men. I have definitely read my Alias one, but 25 issues or whatever that is is much more manageable

The older DC Absolute Editions usually kept to a more readable size and have cool features like unique cover/binding. The Sandman/Death ones are especially great because they're designed to look like Destiny's book.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I fell off reading a while back, but just saw the headline on a podcast I occasionally listen to, with the news of Ike P getting the sack.

A good way into it, the hosts start talking good things about vulpes vulpes, they're really enjoying the moonknight run, and they mention big news about doing Dr. Strange, and Avengers!

Hot drat, congrats on getting the big gigs dude!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on.

I'm of the "ergonomic" reading preference, I like a book I can hold up to my noggin comfortably. Lighter the better.

Usagi Yojimbo for example, I love the trades IDW does at the moment, best format the series has ever had. I have a couple Usagi Saga releases too, but even those are like bricks. I hope they keep these full size regular trades going with Usagi returning to Dark Horse, instead of the digest size as well.

While I'm nitpicking, I wish One Piece had full size collections, like the size it's printed in Shonen Jump. That'd be rad. Anyways, all comics should come in five sizes and formats.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

JordanKai posted:

Wait, you guys don't buy omnibuses to read them?

Oh, I do, which is why an all-in-one volume of a run I was intending to grab tempted me... until I saw that page count. I have to make this clear with visual references.

This is the Dororo Omnibus. It's 850 pages. Holding this in my hand is a bitch, and opening it if it's set down is a bitch. I basically have to cradle this with two hands at all times and shift its weight between them, while it constantly fights me depending on where I am in the volume because one side will be trying to pull the other shut with force.

Imagining a book double this width with hardcover weight and a larger size to boot is a loving nightmare and I'm not going to do that to myself.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Heavy Metal posted:

While I'm nitpicking, I wish One Piece had full size collections, like the size it's printed in Shonen Jump. That'd be rad. Anyways, all comics should come in five sizes and formats.

Viz does that sometimes, Dragonball and Inu Yasha got larger editions. Maybe One Piece wasn't as popular as those two, or the huge volume count put them off. It's a shame because One Piece always has those gorgeous two page spreads with tons of characters doing antics between issues, and they are not served well in the standard manga collection format

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

Viz does that sometimes, Dragonball and Inu Yasha got larger editions. Maybe One Piece wasn't as popular as those two, or the huge volume count put them off. It's a shame because One Piece always has those gorgeous two page spreads with tons of characters doing antics between issues, and they are not served well in the standard manga collection format

They're waiting until OP ends so that the omnibus can get the world record for largest book.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

TwoPair posted:

They're waiting until OP ends so that the omnibus can get the world record for largest book.

Good news, an artist already thought of this.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
so I haven't been following the current Captain America books, why is Bucky a villain again?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Barry Convex posted:

so I haven't been following the current Captain America books, why is Bucky a villain again?

He's not really a villain.

It's about a group that's been secretly controlling things for a while named things like The Power and The Revolution and all this and playing a game against each other and with each other where they all want to be the ones who control everything.

Bucky became the New Revolution and joined the game, but his goal is to take it apart. He just can't work directly to do that, so has to manipulate others to assist him. Steve and company are aware of all this, but they're trying to defeat that group the Steve Rogers way which is uncompromising whereas Bucky is trying to do it from the inside so is more shades of gray. Naturally this has put him at odds with Steve and company.

Anyway I'm not doing the story justice and it's well worth reading.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Both of the current Cap runs are fantastic, maybe the best since the Brubaker era, and both books on a collision course with my boy Ian Rogers playing a part. Love it.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LXN7ekKUvc

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

This article was so pretentious that my hair turned into a tophat and half of my glasses fell off and now I wear a monocle.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

can't believe it's only the one bookshelf

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I got one omnibus and though I love it, that's enough for me. I really like the Epic Collections, I've got a bunch recently and I feel like they collect a really satisfying number of issues in there.

I still find it absurd that Morbius got an Epic Collection before Blade though, even counting the movie.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
The Ryan North Fantastic Four run is still amazing.
Sue is really strong.
What would be the real world consequences of three days of darkness?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I can't believe Reed Richards just flashed his Fantasti-Dong on the Kansas local news

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Preview of Avengers #1 up at Polygon.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

I haven't been excited for too many Avengers comics in the past year but I'm looking forward to this one

Edit: Also, I didn't know Captain Marvel was in recovery...or had a drinking issue

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Really happy you're getting this opportunity. :)

And Villa does really good faces looking at those pages.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

Edit: Also, I didn't know Captain Marvel was in recovery...or had a drinking issue

That was addressed a bunch in Civil War 2, but no one cares about that event. Not sure how often it’s mentioned in her solo, I haven’t read that since Kelly Sue was writing it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Joe Fisto posted:

That was addressed a bunch in Civil War 2, but no one cares about that event. Not sure how often it’s mentioned in her solo, I haven’t read that since Kelly Sue was writing it.

I think it was Busiek who originally introduced it(?) in Heroes Return way back, understandably playing off the whole Immortus pregnancy thing and some other hard knocks Carol had taken until then as a reason she turned to drinking.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I think I remember Tony running into her at an AA meeting, but it was during whenever Deodato was doing "art" for Invincible Iron Man, but I dropped the series from my pull list at the time because I hate the crap that Deodato tries to pass off as "art", so I'm gonna cut off there before I get rolling.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Joe Fisto posted:

Not sure how often it’s mentioned in her solo,

Like three issues ago? It's not something Thompson dwells on, but it's present in the storytelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

howe_sam posted:

Like three issues ago? It's not something Thompson dwells on, but it's present in the storytelling.

That’s good. Maybe I’ll read that run one of these days.