Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I paid $70 for a logo of an octopus at one point

For singular stuff I don't think I'll pay for that stuff going forward

If there's been an uptick for custom human made art it's probably because a lot of people didn't know that cottage industry existed before, I'm not confident that increased sales trend will continue

Am I gonna use MJ or SD to create the next "school of Athens"? No, but for generic yet specialized clip art it's difficult to beat especially for the price and turnaround time, and infinitely tweakable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
update: no super crazy stream tonight, but I'm mutating Mario 3 right now

https://www.twitch.tv/professor_dataviz

Analytic Engine fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Apr 10, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Hadlock posted:

If there's been an uptick for custom human made art it's probably because a lot of people didn't know that cottage industry existed before, I'm not confident that increased sales trend will continue

Yeah, I don't think it's going to become a huge industry or anything, but there's always going to be some kind of mental work involved in translating thought to image (either through AI or traditional means) - it's not easy to write a prompt for exactly what you want, and even if we move away from text prompts there's always going to be some sort of work or creativity involved in getting a "perfect" image out of the AI be it by style-guiding with hand-drawn guides, clever prompting, personal pre-trained models, etc, which means there will always be a market for human artists willing to create the "perfect" image, because some people would rather pay for that than put all the time and effort in to learning the AI tools.

The AI will be "good enough" for the vast majority of casual use. Using D&D character portraits as an example: the players using raw AI generated images are the same players who would have just found an image online before. The players who commissioned custom art of their character were never people who just "couldn't find a good enough image" or whatever - they were people who had grown attached to their characters and wanted to commemorate their accomplishments with a portrait drawn by an artist whose style they like. By commissioning an artist to draw it and having something that's truly "unique" (even if only in the way it was created), it becomes something personal and memorable, as opposed to just an image they slap on their character sheet. That market isn't going anywhere, but it's possible that it will shift towards artists who generate and tweak an AI image and then finish it by hand (and can therefore work faster at a lower per-image cost, which in turn makes it more accessible to potential customers, though who knows where that all balances out - art has never been great for business)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 10, 2023

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Analytic Engine posted:

update: no super crazy stream tonight stream tonight, but I'm streaming V1 with Mario 3 right now

https://www.twitch.tv/professor_dataviz

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Prolonged Panorama posted:

Sure, but there is no "The Machines." Midjourney isn't "having a look" or "attempting" anything at all, that's anthropomorphizing software. Software isn't a moral agent, it just does what it's been programmed to do.

The moral issue is with the humans that created the software, and then profited from its use and distribution. Midjourney Inc. and its human owners are the ones capable of theft, not Midjourney the Discord bot.

Any anthropomorphizing was a figure of speech, but also a rather technically relevant one since neural nets truly are unique compared to most other software in that they are not programmed to do anything other than get really good at finding and recreating patterns. This is why, after all, they are called AI. Rather, they are tuned to, in this case, create depictions of plain language scene descriptions. Why I'm drawing this line is because my accusation of "tech racism" or "flesh-ism" or whatever becomes more formed; the Midjournies and Dall-E's of the world are black boxes to everyone, even their creators, and in that sense they "act" separately from them. The hard pill to swallow here is that visual art, and indeed all art generally, is nothing more than patterns on top of patterns ad infinitum, which like any other patterns can be learned, tweaked, and recreated endlessly. You can argue that the bots owe the quality of their output to the good patterns they learned from, free of charge, but to imply that all thus derived works are stolen is absurd.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

lol Internet bandwidth limit exceeded

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1789668583

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Also I haven't drawn much lately because I'm still waiting for a change in medication to even out but here's an example of the kind of thing I've been doing with AI recently:

1) AI-generated concept image:

(This was MJv4)

2) Pixel art dialog portrait (unfinished), using the AI-generated image as a reference:

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

deep dish peat moss posted:

E: also, as an artist, people being able to AI generate a concept image of what they want rather than trying to explain it through words is a godsend
I did exactly this the last time I had a work commissioned. And if I hadn't been able to come up with those characters' looks at all just because I was messing around with Midjourney in private at my own pace, they would have never existed for me to need a real artist to draw them.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Also I haven't drawn much lately because I'm still waiting for a change in medication to even out but here's an example of the kind of thing I've been doing with AI recently:

1) AI-generated concept image:

(This was MJv4)

New Voynich manuscript looking good

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Pvt. Parts posted:

Any anthropomorphizing was a figure of speech, but also a rather technically relevant one since neural nets truly are unique compared to most other software in that they are not programmed to do anything other than get really good at finding and recreating patterns. This is why, after all, they are called AI. Rather, they are tuned to, in this case, create depictions of plain language scene descriptions. Why I'm drawing this line is because my accusation of "tech racism" or "flesh-ism" or whatever becomes more formed; the Midjournies and Dall-E's of the world are black boxes to everyone, even their creators, and in that sense they "act" separately from them. The hard pill to swallow here is that visual art, and indeed all art generally, is nothing more than patterns on top of patterns ad infinitum, which like any other patterns can be learned, tweaked, and recreated endlessly. You can argue that the bots owe the quality of their output to the good patterns they learned from, free of charge, but to imply that all thus derived works are stolen is absurd.

suttons bitter lesson is a special case of the bitterness peeps always have for behaviorism. rumelharts advisor was estes, estes advisor was skinner, so this is behaviorists telling you that you arent special with two layers of indirection (in the model sense, more like 25 layers)

and being right, lol

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Apr 10, 2023

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you got those extra layers of indirection so you gotta call it "cognitive" lol

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Fuschia tude posted:

I tried generating a new Codex Seraphinianus back in the v4 days, good reminder to try again :kiddo:

From v4:

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

I can safely say that after several years of intensely messing with AI generation tools, this is absolutely not the case. It is going to change the toolset they use, not obsolete them.

Will it lead to smaller teams with more creative freedom? Yes. Should it require a team of hundreds of artists to tell a story in the first place? No. Will there be more creative content out there, both good and bad? Yes.

You cannot make anything meaningful with AI image generation tools if you are not an artist. If you made something meaningful with them - congrats, you're an artist.

Anecdotally, I have seen more people willing to pay for commissions of D&D character portraits than ever recently, and it's often because they have AI-generated a concept of their character and have a good idea of what it looks like and they want to see it realized by a human artist. They pay less than they used to, but thanks to having AI tools to do a lot of the heavy lifting and composition, the art takes less time than it ever did before.

E: also, as an artist, people being able to AI generate a concept image of what they want rather than trying to explain it through words is a godsend

Pretty much this

https://youtu.be/xm7BwEsdVbQ

Dude worked on the lion king, I think we can safely say he knows what he’s talking about when he says it’s another streamlining tool to get more work out there

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Thread needs more art. Some collages I made from my stuff.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Will it lead to smaller teams with more creative freedom? Yes. Should it require a team of hundreds of artists to tell a story in the first place? No. Will there be more creative content out there, both good and bad? Yes.
Something that always bugged me about the process of filmmaking. All that money and time spent on something that could just suck rear end. And would cost way way more to fix. So either you write it off for taxes, or put it out there and lie to people and tell them it's good so you can make your money back.

Anything that reduces the costs means more stuff out there, and potentially better stuff if a bad thing doesn't need an extra $30mil to fix.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
More Corridor Digital talking about ethics in Image Generation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG55yg3w0QU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I tried generating a new Codex Seraphinianus back in the v4 days, good reminder to try again :kiddo:

From v4:

What was the prompt for this? Getting dangerously close to Dr Seuss style art

Edit: been thinking about making custom Dr Seuss books for my daughter and nephews

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

Fuschia tude posted:

"Donald Trump from the Voynich manuscript"

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

epic bacon posted:

"Donald Trump from the Voynich manuscript"

:420::sad::420:

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

That Bing Image creator is just showering me with credits. I've used like 100 credits today just screwing around making battlemechs and they gave me 100 more. Anyway, have some mechs:

Also cockpits looking way nicer now:

Nice Van My Man fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 11, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What were the prompts for the cockpit views :swoon:

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/u0h87qr.mp4

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Nice Van My Man posted:

That Bing Image creator is just showering me with credits. I've used like 100 credits today just screwing around making battlemechs and they gave me 100 more. Anyway, have some mechs:

Also cockpits looking way nicer now:

Hadlock posted:

What were the prompts for the cockpit views :swoon:

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I didn't get too creative with the cockpit, just "cockpit view from a helicopter fighting mechwarrior battlemechs." Helicopters make the best generic cockpit.

Actually one thing I've noticed about Bing Image Creator that's the opposite of the older DallE is that I tend to get better results by keeping it short, whereas before I got better results by making it as verbose as possible. My results when I really try to describe parts in detail always end up really screwed up like that list 4 legged mech I posted. Also multiple subjects tend to flavor each other, so if its a helicopter cockpit but there are mechs in the scene it's naturally going to get more mech-ish.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

these katbernetes pods are NOT coming back up

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Cabbages and Kings posted:

these katbernetes pods are NOT coming back up

Mark Zuckerpurrg

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I decided to try MidJourney to make some illustrations and stuff for my TTRPGs. Here's a batch of portraits of the characters in my V:tM game:

Honestly pretty surprised that I managed to get this with just a fairly simple prompt.

quote:

<insert character description here>, portrait, in the style of Alphonse Mucha, <description of clothing here>, stained glass background, high detail, realism, 8k, lightning ::3 --ar 3:4

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Skios posted:

I decided to try MidJourney to make some illustrations and stuff for my TTRPGs. Here's a batch of portraits of the characters in my V:tM game:

Honestly pretty surprised that I managed to get this with just a fairly simple prompt.

Very nice. What’s the “lightning ::3” notation here? I’m not familiar with it

Ima Computer
Oct 28, 2007

Stop all the downloading!

Help computer.

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Very nice. What’s the “lightning ::3” notation here? I’m not familiar with it

It's MidJourney's syntax for multi-prompts with weighting: https://docs.midjourney.com/docs/multi-prompts

I think in this example though, it's not doing anything. There's only one prompt, so there's nothing to normalize.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Ima Computer posted:

It's MidJourney's syntax for multi-prompts with weighting: https://docs.midjourney.com/docs/multi-prompts

I think in this example though, it's not doing anything. There's only one prompt, so there's nothing to normalize.

Thanks!

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Yeah, that was me just copying what a friend told me. Likewise with the 'lightning'. It was meant to be 'lighting', I typo'd, liked the result of the first one and decided to keep it.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
https://github.com/samb-t/infty-diff

quote:

We introduce ∞-Diff, a generative diffusion model which directly operates on infinite resolution data. By randomly sampling subsets of coordinates during training and learning to denoise the content at those coordinates, a continuous function is learned that allows sampling at arbitrary resolutions. In contrast to other recent infinite resolution generative models, our approach operates directly on the raw data, not requiring latent vector compression for context, using hypernetworks, nor relying on discrete components. As such, our approach achieves significantly higher sample quality, as evidenced by lower FID scores, as well as being able to effectively scale to much higher resolutions.

They trained this on a 80GB A100; for fun I am attempting to see if I can train it on a 4090 using a smaller batch size.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Hadlock posted:

What was the prompt for this? Getting dangerously close to Dr Seuss style art

Edit: been thinking about making custom Dr Seuss books for my daughter and nephews

The prompt for that was just "surreal diagram of a bizarre alien facility. vivid, psychedelic, colorful. codex seraphinianus."

Here's a result of the same prompt in v5 - not a big fan of this image but you could probably get very Codex Seraphinianus/Voynich pages out of it with a little effort. As-is I like the v4 version more

The mech cockpit images made me want to try the same thing in MJ - ever since v5 it has been great about taking camera position instructions
Cockpit view from a towering battlemech in the middle of a cinematic war --ar 3:2

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I played a LANCER one-shot recently and this was my dude, codename Kerfuffle:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Messing around with mech cockpit stuff some more in MJ5, it was easy enough to get the cockpit view composition in place but the content was trickier

Cockpit view from a towering battlemech. Surreal xenoform landscape. Cinematic battle against an army of xenos. --ar 3:2

Cockpit view from a towering battlemech. Surreal xenoform landscape. Cinematic battle against an army of xenos. Cyan cockpit lights, ultra-futuristic hologram targeting sensor --ar 3:2

The dashboard gets better when I describe a cyan HUD instead of cyan cockpit lights, but it's still not generating an action scene
Cockpit view from a battlemech. Mutant xeno-jungle. Battle against swarm of xeno-beasts. Cyan HUD, ultra-futuristic hologram targeting sensor --ar 3:2

Cockpit view from a hyperfuturistic battlemech. Mutant War. Dramatic war still. Swarm of mutant monsters. Crimson HUD, ultra-futuristic dash --ar 3:2

Getting away from the color filter effect from naming a specific color:
Cockpit view from a hyperfuturistic battlemech. Mutant War. Dramatic war still. Swarm of mutant monsters. RGB HUD, ultra-futuristic instrumentation --ar 3:2

Cockpit view from a hyperfuturistic battlemech as it fires lasers at a swarm of aliens. Dramatic combat scene. Swarm of mutant monsters. RGB HUD, ultra-futuristic instrumentation --ar 3:2

It's still not firing lasers at aliens though :argh:

Getting rid of the futuristic HUD because that was starting to look way to much like Tron
Cockpit view from a heavy assault battlemech as it fires lasers at a swarm of aliens. Dramatic combat scene. Swarm of mutant monsters. Vintage HUD, hologram radar --ar 3:2

These last several images frankly suck, but the problem is that there's no environment described. Just adding a setting back in makes the images far better and finally gets some actual battle scenes:
Cockpit view from a heavy assault battlemech as it fires lasers at a swarm of aliens. Dramatic combat scene in a blasted-out wasteland. Swarm of mutant monsters. Vintage HUD, hologram radar --ar 3:2

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Dragonball Z Harpo Marx

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Cabbages and Kings posted:

for fun I am attempting to see if I can train it on a 4090 using a smaller batch size.

note: I am now neck deep in having installed WLS2, installed CUDA 11.7 and conda properly and a bunch of other poo poo on a ubuntu VM under hypervisor, and am now, again, trying to get conda to process the requirements yaml without barfing :allears:

the things I do for fun that I wouldn't do for half my usual hourly rate :laugh:

frantically staring at conda debug output. Invoke SAT faster, drat ye!!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Cockpit view from Goku as he fights Vegeta.

Cockpit view from Goku Battlemech as he fights Vegeta on Namek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hydroceramics
Jan 8, 2014
"President Donald J Goku"

I have to admit this turned out way better than it had any right to.

hydroceramics fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 11, 2023