Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

GeoHex is not the same as HexTech . HexTech does hex buildings and hills while GeoHex are those big ”plates” of hills.

The people who made HexTech, Steel Warrior Studios, shut down recently but other retailers picked up the line. The line is owned by ThunderHead Studio and the products are produced by Death Ray Designs now and also carried by Aries Minis and Fortress, if you’re looking for US retailers. They have a site with distributors here: https://thunderhead-studio.com/pages/our-distributors

Incidentally, inspired by a bunch of papercraft terrain for other games recently, I’m currently planning some simple printable papercraft hex hills made specifically for BattleTech. Somewhat surprised something like that doesn’t exist yet honestly. There are some hex buildings on Wargame Vault but the heights of the buildings are totally inconsistent and don’t work with BT’s levels at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Buildings are really, really hard to make well for BattleTech because of the mapscale/mechscale discrepancy. If you make them mapscale they look tiny; but if you make them 'Mechscale they take up an enormous footprint. That includes things like Mechbays, which should comfortably fit a lance into a one hex space, but would look comically tiny if you actually tried to make one small enough. Anything at Mechscale is usually better reserved for a diorama/showpiece than actual gameplay because they take up such a huge map footprint.

This is a little better in alpha strike because alpha strike's map/movement scale is closer to 1:500 rather than 1:1000

There is something I like to call "mixed scale" for making buildings where you build a building's height at 'Mechscale but keep its footprint mapscale. It only works for certain types of buildings with very clear elevation levels, but the things it does work for come out pretty ok. Level 1 (2 story) "row houses" and shops work well because everyone expects them to look cramped and narrow; and lowrise/midrise/highrise apartments tend to look good too.

Edit: I made some prototypes of things that look good at both 'Mech and Mapscale with the intention of maybe selling the .stl files, but that was back before even the first kickstarter and I never finished most of them.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 9, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Thank you! That helps my building needs. For terrain such as grassland, forests, desert, etc. what options are out there from online retailers? I wanted something to add elevation to my maps.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Speaking of terrain, I'm kinda surprised I don't see much snowy terrain in the official Battletech maps. Polar biomes were some of my favorites from Mech 2, followed only probably by the urban stuff realized a bit better in Mechassault. It's nice that there's at least one Lunar map though. I remember in the Mech2 lunar mission hitting self destruct and having my mind blown that the explosions weren't displayed because there was no oxygen.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Alpha Strike is great for buildings, you just make them mech scale and look good, and the big footprint is a bonus for actually being interactive terrain.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Buildings are really, really hard to make well for BattleTech because of the mapscale/mechscale discrepancy. If you make them mapscale they look tiny; but if you make them 'Mechscale they take up an enormous footprint. That includes things like Mechbays, which should comfortably fit a lance into a one hex space, but would look comically tiny if you actually tried to make one small enough. Anything at Mechscale is usually better reserved for a diorama/showpiece than actual gameplay because they take up such a huge map footprint.

This is a little better in alpha strike because alpha strike's map/movement scale is closer to 1:500 rather than 1:1000

There is something I like to call "mixed scale" for making buildings where you build a building's height at 'Mechscale but keep its footprint mapscale. It only works for certain types of buildings with very clear elevation levels, but the things it does work for come out pretty ok. Level 1 (2 story) "row houses" and shops work well because everyone expects them to look cramped and narrow; and lowrise/midrise/highrise apartments tend to look good too.

Edit: I made some prototypes of things that look good at both 'Mech and Mapscale with the intention of maybe selling the .stl files, but that was back before even the first kickstarter and I never finished most of them.

”Mixed scale” is a thing in 28mm scale as well, but few people realize or admit it. It got super obvious for us when we were making ww2 terrain. If you make actually 1:56 scaled houses, anything bigger than huts will take up a huge chunk of a table. A small, properly scaled, village church will eat up 1/4th of a common 4’x6’ table, same for things like station buildings. You need to adjust length proportions a lot to get houses that feel ok but still leaves you with playing area.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
One of the things that really throws off 28mm stuff is base size. You can actually fight in a way more cramped environment than the bases imply, but then you get into weird situations where it's difficult to model interesting terrain anyway. Realistically a lot of games would take place entirely inside single buildings.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

lilljonas posted:

”Mixed scale” is a thing in 28mm scale as well, but few people realize or admit it. It got super obvious for us when we were making ww2 terrain. If you make actually 1:56 scaled houses, anything bigger than huts will take up a huge chunk of a table. A small, properly scaled, village church will eat up 1/4th of a common 4’x6’ table, same for things like station buildings. You need to adjust length proportions a lot to get houses that feel ok but still leaves you with playing area.

1/144 scale buildings work really well for 1/100 scale armies for the same reason, I've found.

If you're playing Classic Battletech on hexes, I'd say forget about accuracy of scale and just put down what looks good and works with the hexes.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Are the arrow IV rules located online anywhere?

Played a game where my opponent got a light mech around the back of my Atlas and successfully TAG'd it, and so he said the Arrow IV missiles incoming both hit on +4s and hit the back armor.

Which...seems rather suspect.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

That's how the rules work, given they're homing arrows, are arriving that turn and were targeted on a hex no more than 8(?) hexes away.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Saint Celestine posted:

Played a game where my opponent got a light mech around the back of my Atlas and successfully TAG'd it, and so he said the Arrow IV missiles incoming both hit on +4s and hit the back armor.

What he described checks out with my understanding and the rules description on Sarna. https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Arrow_IV_Homing_Missile

As long as he respected the rules for the part for actually firing the things and the arrival time based on distance then that is how they work and that's why they're worth the effort to use.

I'm a pretty avid user of artillery as a close(ish)* combat weapon and the effectiveness of Arrow IV Homing missiles is why I say that the UM-AIV Urbanmech is one of the best deals for the BV cost. 603 BV for something that will probably outdamage some of your other units is a pretty good deal.

Real style points go the the TDK-7KMA Thunder Hawk with two Gauss Rifles and an Arrow IV though.

*as in, within direct fire range but obviously out of the minimum range of the weapon

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 12, 2023

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Saint Celestine posted:

:siren: :siren: :siren: Your opponent may have been bullshitting you if the unit that actually fired the Arrow IV Homing missile wasn't in your Atlas's rear arc. :siren: :siren: :siren:

Not from the light 'Mech, but from the Arrow IV launcher.
And also not from the secret hex that your opponent wrote down that just so happened to be 8 or fewer hexes away behind your Atlas, if the Arrow IV launcher was 18 or more hexes away from said secret hex, firing the missile indirectly on the PREVIOUS turn.

But yes, Arrow IVs Homing is a straight roll of 4 on 2d6 to hit targets that were TAGged in the special TAG phase right before weapons fire phase. (BattleMech Manual p. 97) You really have to screen your assault 'Mechs with pulsey hunter-killers to bring down TAG 'Mechs before they get close enough to TAG.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Apr 12, 2023

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Homing Arrow IV is bullshit and the number one reason I don't use artillery on my tables outside of Alpha Strike.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Strobe posted:

Homing Arrow IV is bullshit and the number one reason I don't use artillery on my tables outside of Alpha Strike.

skill issue

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Apr 12, 2023

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

:siren: :siren: :siren: Your opponent may have been bullshitting you if the unit that actually fired the Arrow IV Homing missile wasn't in your Atlas's rear arc. :siren: :siren: :siren:

And also not from the secret hex that your opponent wrote down that just so happened to be 8 or fewer hexes away behind your Atlas, if the Arrow IV launcher was more than 18 hexes away firing the missile indirectly on the previous turn.

But yes, Arrow IVs Homing is a straight roll of 4 on 2d6 to hit targets that were TAGged in the special TAG phase right before weapons fire phase. (BattleMech Manual p. 97) You really have to screen your Assault 'Mechs with pulsey hunter-killers to bring down TAG 'Mechs before they get close enough to TAG.

Huh they must have changed it at some point because Sarna says it comes from the TAGging direction. And I guess that's what I remember? Am I being gaslit by Sarna? But my copy of TacOps definitely says it comes from the launcher's direction.

edit: Unless the opponent edited the Sarna page and is gaslighting all of us :tinfoil:

edit 2: That Sarna page definitely made me second guess myself but now that I really think about it I've always played it with the missiles coming from the attacker's direction and I've never cared about TAG direction

edit 3: Guess in the future I'll just check my rulebook instead of being lazy

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 12, 2023

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

And also not from the secret hex that your opponent wrote down that just so happened to be 8 or fewer hexes away behind your Atlas, if the Arrow IV launcher was 18 or more hexes away from said secret hex, firing the missile indirectly on the PREVIOUS turn.

But yes, Arrow IVs Homing is a straight roll of 4 on 2d6 to hit targets that were TAGged in the special TAG phase right before weapons fire phase. (BattleMech Manual p. 97) You really have to screen your assault 'Mechs with pulsey hunter-killers to bring down TAG 'Mechs before they get close enough to TAG.

The tank firing them was like 15 hexes ish away from the Atlas, in the frontal arc. It seemed kinda bullshit that if you have a light mech behind the Atlas and it TAGs the Atlas in the rear, that the missile will fly past the atlas, do a U-turn, in mid-air, mind you, and then fly into the rear armor.

Edit:

So you have to declare a hex to target with Indirect a turn before? As in -

1. Declare hex to target
~ turn passes ~
2. Attempt to TAG
3. If TAG'd, hits on +4 where the TAG is from?

Saint Celestine fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 12, 2023

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

BattleMaster posted:

Huh they must have changed it at some point because Sarna says it comes from the TAGging direction. And I guess that's what I remember? Am I being gaslit by Sarna? But my copy of TacOps definitely says it comes from the launcher's direction.

edit: Unless the opponent edited the Sarna page and is gaslighting all of us :tinfoil:

edit 2: That Sarna page definitely made me second guess myself but now that I really think about it I've always played it with the missiles coming from the attacker's direction and I've never cared about TAG direction

edit 3: Guess in the future I'll just check my rulebook instead of being lazy

I may have some insight on if/when this rule was (ever) changed but it will have to wait until tomorrow nevermind, LeschNyhan got it vvv

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Apr 12, 2023

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Saint Celestine posted:

The tank firing them was like 15 hexes ish away from the Atlas, in the frontal arc. It seemed kinda bullshit that if you have a light mech behind the Atlas and it TAGs the Atlas in the rear, that the missile will fly past the atlas, do a U-turn, in mid-air, mind you, and then fly into the rear armor.

Edit:

1. Declare hex to target
~ turn passes ~
2. Attempt to TAG

There's TacOps errata here, see page 72.

https://bg.battletech.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Tactical-Operations-2019-12-06-v3.03.pdf

They did update it to stipulate that the hit is 'resolved against the unit's facing relative to the unit that fired the missile' from previous editions, along with some other clarifications. You can fire Arrow IVs using direct fire rules as well - which is to say they can be TAG'd, fired and hit in the same overall round. So no, the Arrow IV missile shouldn't be doing a U-turn and slamming into the back of your 'mech.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

LeschNyhan posted:

There's TacOps errata here, see page 72.

https://bg.battletech.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Tactical-Operations-2019-12-06-v3.03.pdf

They did update it to stipulate that the hit is 'resolved against the unit's facing relative to the unit that fired the missile' from previous editions, along with some other clarifications. You can fire Arrow IVs using direct fire rules as well - which is to say they can be TAG'd, fired and hit in the same overall round. So no, the Arrow IV missile shouldn't be doing a U-turn and slamming into the back of your 'mech.

Thanks for finding that.

\/ I get that, taking the missile from where the firing unit's facing. Theres not much that can take 20 points to the rear torso.

Saint Celestine fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Apr 12, 2023

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Saint Celestine posted:

Edit:

1. Declare hex to target
~ turn passes ~
2. Attempt to TAG

1. Declare hex to target is done in the Weapons phase of the previous turn ONLY if the launcher decides to INDIRECT fire the missile that way, during that previous turn.

Otherwise, DIRECT fire works like:
1. Attempt to TAG
2. If TAG'd, Arrow IV Homing launching from 17 or fewer hexes of TAG'd target only needs a 4 in the Weapons phase immediately following the TAG. Apply no other modifiers. (other weapons follow normal rules)
3. If TAG'd, Indirect Arrow IV Homing arriving from the previous turn ALSO hit on a roll of 4. (There's a chart that also shows travel time for missiles in number of turns, but those are for scenarios with huge distances measured in mapsheets)

As you might have noticed, the spookiest part about Indirect/Direct with Arrow IV Homing is that if the TAG unit misses the TAG, the Arrow IV launcher can just Indirect pick a hex just a little further away to try again with the same missile next turn. And yes, that means you can get hit for 2 x 20 points of damage from a single Arrow IV launcher in a single turn that way.

"where the TAG is from?" No. There's no to-hit modifiers for any direction or terrain on a TAG'd target. It is literally a roll of 4 or better on 2d6 to hit with the missile. What matters is the hit direction (always always always from the Arrow IV launcher) for the purpose of Front or Rear armor damage.
More bad news: if a target is TAG'd, the Arrow IV launcher can still Direct fire Arrow IV Homing even if the launcher doesn't have direct line of sight to TAG'd target, as long as the target is 17 hexes or closer. (much like how Semi-Guided LRMs get the free spotting done for the launcher)
A little more bad news: Even if the Arrow IV misses on a roll of 3 or 2, the TAG target and every unit in the same hex gets hit for 5 points of damage.

The bright side: Against Direct fire Arrow IV Homing, I think you might be able to stand a 'Mech in Level 1 water and hope that the missile rolls a 5 or 9 on the hit location (3, 6, or 11 if hitting from the side) to dunk it in the water (where your legs would have been) for 0 damage? Oh, it's also Direct Fire Ballistic in this mode, so that also means you should be able to do this with putting a Level 1 hill between you and the AIV launcher as well, as long as you're level with them or above them in elevation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LjN3UclYzU

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Apr 12, 2023

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

1. Declare hex to target is done in the Weapons phase of the previous turn ONLY if the launcher decides to INDIRECT fire the missile that way, during that previous turn.

Otherwise, DIRECT fire works like:
1. Attempt to TAG
2. If TAG'd, Arrow IV Homing launching from 17 or fewer hexes of TAG'd target only needs a 4 in the Weapons phase immediately following the TAG. Apply no other modifiers. (other weapons follow normal rules)
3. If TAG'd, Indirect Arrow IV Homing arriving from the previous turn ALSO hit on a roll of 4. (There's a chart that also shows travel time for missiles in number of turns, but those are for scenarios with huge distances measured in mapsheets)

As you might have noticed, the spookiest part about Indirect/Direct with Arrow IV Homing is that if the TAG unit misses the TAG, the Arrow IV launcher can just Indirect pick a hex just a little further away to try again with the same missile next turn. And yes, that means you can get hit for 2 x 20 points of damage from a single Arrow IV launcher in a single turn that way.

"where the TAG is from?" No. There's no to-hit modifiers for any direction or terrain on a TAG'd target. It is literally a roll of 4 or better on 2d6 to hit with the missile. What matters is the hit direction (always always always from the Arrow IV launcher) for the purpose of Front or Rear armor damage.
More bad news: if a target is TAG'd, the Arrow IV launcher can still Direct fire Arrow IV Homing even if the launcher doesn't have direct line of sight to TAG'd target, as long as the target is 17 hexes or closer. (much like how Semi-Guided LRMs get the free spotting done for the launcher)
A little more bad news: Even if the Arrow IV misses on a roll of 3 or 2, the TAG target and every unit in the same hex gets hit for 5 points of damage.

The bright side: Against Direct fire Arrow IV Homing, I think you might be able to stand a 'Mech in Level 1 water and hope that the missile rolls a 5 or 9 on the hit location (3, 6, or 11 if hitting from the side) to dunk it in the water (where your legs would have been) for 0 damage? Oh, it's also Direct Fire Ballistic in this mode, so that also means you should be able to do this with putting a Level 1 hill between you and the AIV launcher as well, as long as you're level with them or above them in elevation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LjN3UclYzU

Minor correction: the missile checks for TAG designated targets the turn it arrives, meaning if you picked a target hex 18+ hexes away, it checks next turn and only next turn. If there is no TAG target, it's gone. Flight time is always measured to the initial target hex, not to anything else including a unit that is TAG'd and within 17 hexes. The TAG'd unit can be up to 8 hexes away from the target hex, but this will never affect flight time.

Homing Arrow IV are bullshit but they're not quite that bullshit.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Strobe posted:

Minor correction: the missile checks for TAG designated targets the turn it arrives, meaning if you picked a target hex 18+ hexes away, it checks next turn and only next turn. If there is no TAG target, it's gone. Flight time is always measured to the initial target hex, not to anything else including a unit that is TAG'd and within 17 hexes. The TAG'd unit can be up to 8 hexes away from the target hex, but this will never affect flight time.
This is a good clarification. Arrow IV missiles are not loitering munitions/suicide drones and will not hang around waiting until a target finally gets TAG'd. If a missile that was intentionally fired to home in on TAG (as opposed to not doing that, see below) arrives on a Weapons phase after no target was TAG'd, it goes to meet the great laser beam in the stars.
The situation I mentioned where a TAG'd target gets hit with two missiles from the same launcher still follows the rules, in the specific situation that a missile previously fired at a hex further than 18 hexes away just so happens to arrive in the same turn that a Direct fire missile is possible.

There is also a backup desperation mode of Arrow IV Homing, and that is to fire it at a hex without programming it to home in on TAG. It's the 5th section of those errata rules. I think that part could use a little revision still because someone could attempt mental gymnastics and say that this section contradicts the part about exploding harmlessly without a TAG target

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ooh no my hand slipped all over my keyboard and I pledged to the current Kickstarter. ooh well! Silly me lmao. I don't mind supporting Catalyst, they have proven themselves to be one of the few trust worthy companies to be able to hold a kickstarter and carry through with it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
And they're pretty communicative too, which I appreciate. Their first had an unfortunate delay due to Covid and running into Chinese New Year. Not to mention having to 3D model so many extra 'Mechs must've been hard on their 3D artist(s).

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
I got a new desk today, which ok whatever, but it had a bunch of useless foam sheets in it.

Interesting way to spend a sick day. Off to spray em down!

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Make sure you don't spray them with something that will dissolve the foam!

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Just some krylon bby 😘

But no, other than playing dumbass I mixed up some paper mache paint
Also for anyone following along, careful which glue you use.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Thanks to whoever suggested using a Wraith.

This thing just wrecks things. Amazing mech for its BV cost.

Its pretty much an auto-include in every list I run now.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Speaking of TAG and Arrow IVs, what's a preferred cheap TAG mech? I have an UM-AIV model I'm itching to break out.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
There's always the Ostscout 7K :v:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Floppychop posted:

Speaking of TAG and Arrow IVs, what's a preferred cheap TAG mech? I have an UM-AIV model I'm itching to break out.

If you need one that can brawl and can live without Jump Jets: Maelstrom comes with TAG on every variant, except for the new -7K.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 13, 2023

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I like the Men Shen F because aside from TAG, the 2 SNPPCs with a Targeting Computer is pretty slick, along with nearly maximum armor and 6/9(12) movement.

The AGT-1A Agrotera is similar to a Wraith in that it is fast, has a high jump MP, and a bunch of pulse lasers. It also has TAG and the AES-boosted ER PPC actually works reasonably well.

The aforementioned OTT-7K Ostscout is the cheapest thing you can get with TAG that is still fast and can jump. But if you want something cheap and fast that has actual weapons, there are a ton of small things with some lasers and TAG. Oddly, this area is heavily dominated with Word of Blake 'Mechs: RDS-21 Red Shift, MCY-104 Mercury, LCT-5W Locust, NXS2-B Nexus II, and so forth. Probably the best way to fit in cheap tiny units is to buy everything you really want and then search for something that has TAG and fills your last bit of BV. Use MegaMek to filter for units with IS TAG and IS Light TAG, or use MasterUnitList and enter TAG or LTAG (one at a time) into the Alpha Strike abilities box.

There are also various more expensive and slower but more formidable units with TAG like the Black Hawk-KU G and MAD-9M2 Marauder. I think faster units are probably the way to go since they have much more freedom to approach targets and can reach targets sooner in the game so you can use your homing missiles sooner. They can also accrue high movement mods, easily keep to cover, keep out of LOS of units other than what they need to TAG, and are lower priority targets if your opponent doesn't realize what's going on or has better shots on your main units.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The LCT-5W2 is great because you also get a regular C3 in there and can do horrifying things with LRMs and Arrow IVs.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Anyone have experience running a heavy close range lance?

I want to try the following 7500 bv lance -

Pretty much using cover, terrain, smoke and jumping to close the range.

Berserker/KC to tank fire and to hit stuff, Pulses on the other two to hit and the wraith to gently caress up anything that tries to be cheeky and get back shots.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Saint Celestine fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 14, 2023

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
My experience with trying to scuttle close range brawlers into combat under cover of (fill in the blank) is that Murphy's Law bites me in the rear end and they get hung out to dry.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Floppychop posted:

I just learned that the ilClan era Javelin 12N has TAG along with two SRM 6s, moves 8/12/8, and is only 795 BV. Could be pretty fun!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Saint Celestine posted:

Anyone have experience running a heavy close range lance?

There are two strategies to running a close range lance on its own (without other lances to support it).

The first is to bring a sacrificial Zombie like the notorious Archangel. The Wraith can somewhat do this since it's quick enough to make a nuisance of itself but ideally probably isn't the 'Mech you want drawing all the fire early in a match. In this lance, the closest thing to a Zombie you have is the King Crab which is full of very explosive ammo and IIRC lacks CASE. It also lacks jump jets which means it's not great in one of the two environments short ranged juggernauts do well in (heavy forests). Your opponents are also probably going to want to target the Berzerker because it's probably the first thing that will be able to attack one of their 'Mechs.

The second is to sneak in a long range support 'Mech that your opponents will need to close to kill, like the KGC-001 Clanbuster King Crab with its two Gauss Rifles. Unfortunately the Clanbuster's got an XL engine so it's a lot more fragile than the Royal King Crab.

The best strategy is to do both. MAD-4A Marauder II, AWS-8Q Awesome, or AWS-9Q Awesome are all solid long-range zombie nuisances that can help enable the rest of your lance to perform their close range duties. Move them into a central position in some woods where they've got good firing lanes and either start sneak-sneaking with the rest of your lance or wait in ambush for your opponent to rush in to kill the sniper.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 14, 2023

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

FishFood posted:

I just learned that the ilClan era Javelin 12N has TAG along with two SRM 6s, moves 8/12/8, and is only 795 BV. Could be pretty fun!

That does sound fun, actually has some teeth along with the tag.

I was looking at one of the Ravens with stealth armor as well, mostly because I already have a painted Raven. But they're so slow for a light.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Ravens suffer from having to pack in a whole pile of heavy E-war gear that just isn't worth the effort in most games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

There's a lot more units that mount BAPs than people regularly playing Double Blind, the only mode where you regularly use them.