Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Jury Duty overall isn’t as good as I was hoping so far - the guy isn’t interesting enough to make his reactions worth it all, and the scripted stuff isn’t as funny as it feels like it could be. But it does have some really great moments (especially involving Marsden) and the guy seems like a really nice sweet dude. There’s a bit in episode 3 where he shows the chair pants guy A Bug’s Life to show him how people who try and introduce new ideas are frequently misunderstood and he doesn’t come across as naive or stupid, just really genuine and kind. It was cool!

Yeah this is incredibly mild. There's a few good gags here and there but overall it's just, idk, gentle? The biggest laugh I had was James Marsden acting scared after reading a jump scare in a script.

Also how do you turn off the ads, I have Amazon prime but only saw the watch free with ads option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
BEEF was incredible. Meant to watch one or two more episodes and ended up binging the whole thing. Ending spoilers, I love the restraint in keeping the two leads apart the whole series, their chemistry together was electric and you spend the whole time hoping they will just talk to each other and decided they should be friends, and then the finale gives you exactly what you want. I've never seen something that I loved Ali Wong in until this but she was on another level here, Steven Yeun was amazing too.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

Yeah this is incredibly mild. There's a few good gags here and there but overall it's just, idk, gentle? The biggest laugh I had was James Marsden acting scared after reading a jump scare in a script.

Also how do you turn off the ads, I have Amazon prime but only saw the watch free with ads option.

It’s an Amazon Freevee show, which is their ad-supported thing. So it would be free even if you don’t have Prime but would always have the ads.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
this has been bugging me, I've never watched a full episode of NCIS but the impression I get is they are just land cops. Do they ever explain this?

DC Murderverse posted:

Lil Dickie’s music is so bad that I don’t care if his show wins a Pulitzer and gets every member of Odd Future to star in it, I’m never watching that poo poo. The fact that the song about body-switching with notorious rear end in a top hat Chris Brown is not the worst thing he’s made should tell you everything you need to know.

Edit: calling his poo poo an embarrassment is an embarrassment to embarrassments

https://youtu.be/swQI_FNyS6M

https://youtu.be/dJjgDYAK8pg

shocker to me since I thought that was the worst thing he did

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I think the first ever episode of NCIS straight up had them admit they were like bottom-tier in the jurisdiction stakes and basically just faked their way through a personal relationship to trick themselves into actually getting to investigate the case.

I never watched an episode after that (outside of the scene where the leader "defeats" a hacker by pulling the power cord out of a monitor) but I assume they just decided to ignore it after that point and let them just investigate whatever case came up regardless of whether they would be able to do so or not.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Jerusalem watch BEEF

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Chris Ryan did a good podcast interview with the two Beef Showrunners/head writers/directors on the latest episode of The Watch if you're interested

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Alan Smithee posted:

this has been bugging me, I've never watched a full episode of NCIS but the impression I get is they are just land cops. Do they ever explain this?

I've never seen an episode of NCIS. I've seen an episode of NCIS: LA here and there while in the hospital and my impression is that they basically lampshade the concept and act as though they're an arm of the FBI or something.

Admittedly, those hospital stays included copious amounts of IV painkillers, so...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Jerusalem watch BEEF

Oh hey it's got Steven Yeun in it? Nice! I'll check it out when I have a chance. Still gotta watch Swarm too.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

so since nobody has really posted about Lucky Hank since the pilot, I take it the show is not very rad? I had completely forgotten it existed after the pilot until youtube recommended me to watch the full pilot again this morning

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s fine. It has a good cast. It’s just not all that interesting. It’s mostly just like “academia, am I right?”, which is very niche.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Aye Doc posted:

so since nobody has really posted about Lucky Hank since the pilot, I take it the show is not very rad? I had completely forgotten it existed after the pilot until youtube recommended me to watch the full pilot again this morning

I'm a fan. There's a weird backlash about it on reddit which hasn't been very well articulated so I don't undertake it, but it's a decent character drama with some fun satire, and I regularly look forward to it.

Still wish that AMC hadn't memory holed Pantheon though.

Euuuuugh. Makes me so mad.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Aye Doc posted:

I like it quite a bit.

I think a lot of the negative backlash has been people expecting it to be Better Call Saul Except In Education (because Odenkirk played Saul Goodman for, what, 12 years or so?), which it's not and it was never promised to be.

It's not fantastic, life-changing television, but it's quite a lot of fun. As someone who's nearing 39 and has experienced a bit of anhedonia, it speaks to me.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Big Door Prize is fine so far but if someone doesn't get a card that just says "you win free small fry" or some actual prize I'm gonna whine about it one more time.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Just adding to what everyone is saying beef is great but also there is so much content out there tv wise that I don't have time to consume.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Khanstant posted:

Big Door Prize is fine so far but if someone doesn't get a card that just says "you win free small fry" or some actual prize I'm gonna whine about it one more time.

Yeah, but the card saying Teacher/Whistler is hilarious.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Confusedslight posted:

Just adding to what everyone is saying beef is great but also there is so much content out there tv wise that I don't have time to consume.

dw you’ve done the best show since Poker Face and TLOU ended

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Is the man in the high castle good? Should I read the book first?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

It’s pretty great until it dips in the last season, but it doesn’t become unwatchable or anything.

And I’d say no to the book first, if only because it’s not a straight 1:1 adaptation at all and the book is a lot more introspective and pseudo-philosophical than the show.

Absolutely worth a read afterward though, it’s one of PKD’s best.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Seasons two and three own. One has promise, but it's slow, and four is a mess, but there's interesting stuff all the way through.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I just watched the first five episodes of Transatlantic on Netflix. A series about helping refugees out of Vichy France.

The show is so egregiously American that it's borderline offensive.

I'm not sure exactly what it's trying to be or do other than maybe cast some light on some "modern issues". There are a few scenes in particular that were incredibly transparent that I almost closed it right there. I'm gonna keep watching for now waiting for the other shoe to drop but as of now it's pretty bad.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I wonder if a show dealing with refugees is meant to resonate with people today

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Nothing wrong with that. It just does so very poorly in my opinion (compared to, say, The Plot Against America). But I'll probably finish it and collect my thoughts afterwards.

kiminewt fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 10, 2023

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Jerusalem posted:

I think the first ever episode of NCIS straight up had them admit they were like bottom-tier in the jurisdiction stakes and basically just faked their way through a personal relationship to trick themselves into actually getting to investigate the case.

I never watched an episode after that (outside of the scene where the leader "defeats" a hacker by pulling the power cord out of a monitor) but I assume they just decided to ignore it after that point and let them just investigate whatever case came up regardless of whether they would be able to do so or not.

They manage to bullshit their way into cases if the victim is tangentially related to the Navy, and they hijack SAM 27000 with a dead navy man on board to keep the FBI and secret service away from the investigation.

As of 2021, the lead agent is Bill Lumbergh.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

They manage to bullshit their way into cases if the victim is tangentially related to the Navy, and they hijack SAM 27000 with a dead navy man on board to keep the FBI and secret service away from the investigation.

As of 2021, the lead agent is Bill Lumbergh.

They have, on occasion, investigated crimes on Navy ships.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Don't read the book first; the show and the book differ wildly.

Even though there are peaks and valleys, the show never becomes unwatchable. It's worth watching just for Rufus Sewell alone, as he is an absolute powerhouse throughout the series.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Jesus Christ Succession just walloped everyone with one of the best episodes of television. How are so many of the greatest episodes of all time from HBO? Wow.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Swarm was really good, had no idea what to expect at all. They also pulled the perspective switch episode at just the right time. Great ending too.

Edit: lol at clickbait these days. Never even watched the show but randomly got Succession's Logan Roy is dead bla bla bla as the article title. Isn't that kind of the opposite point of clickbait, if they give all the relevant information in the title what's
the point?

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 10, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Just an FYI so you don't make the same mistake I did, the above spoiler tagged content is about the latest episode of Succession, not the show Swarm. :cripes:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Khanstant posted:

Swarm was really good, had no idea what to expect at all. They also pulled the perspective switch episode at just the right time. Great ending too.

Edit: lol at clickbait these days. Never even watched the show but randomly got Succession's Logan Roy is dead bla bla bla as the article title. Isn't that kind of the opposite point of clickbait, if they give all the relevant information in the title what's 5
the point?

Yeah, you might want to edit your post to state that the spoiler is about the latest episode of Succession

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

nate fisher posted:

Jesus Christ Succession

The unexpected sequel to Jesus Christ Superstar really freshens up the lore.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

Hughmoris posted:

Yeah, you might want to edit your post to state that the spoiler is about the latest episode of Succession

Yeah, he got me with that one. Thankfully, I already had it spoiled on twitter an hour ago.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

People have had good takes on this already, but here's mine since this is a discussion board: The teevee show is mostly a great story about the most average American you could get who became a Nazi and it doesn't go very well for him. The show kind of falls apart when they bring in Heinrich Himmler, but, you know, it starts out strong with good characters and is worth watching IMO.

The book is a good mind-gently caress because it de-constructs itself, but very much a different story to what the teevee show did.

Does Himmler count as a spoiler? He was a real-life person in our timeline, too.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's a spoiler, but not a particularly significant one within the shape of the show.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

drat Beef is indeed really good. I'm especially impressed at the casting of the Orange County church husband douchebag, he embodies the passive aggressive smarminess of that type so, so well

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Sorry didn't mean to spoil it complaining about spoiling, tagged in unfortunate spot. Only reason I can think of why it was even pushed to me was a friend texting me a recommendation yesterday. Not knowing the characters will make it easier to forget when I do watch it, thought maybe it was a bigger thing to title spoil.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I haven’t even read anything specific (including that spoiler) but the non-specific headlines I have read still make it extremely loving obvious what’s going to happen in this week’s Succession.

Ah well. I’m not really a spoiler person. But still just a funny annoying thing about modern society

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I'm very anal about spoilers so as soon as I saw people raving about the episode I didn't even know watched the show I knew I had to stay up late to watch it. What a great episode. One line in particular "she looks like she caught a foul ball at Yankee stadium" had me laughing so hard I felt like I was going to vomit. Can't remember the last time I've laughed so hard. God what phenomenal acting everyone did. Really award winning performances all around.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

My fiancee started watching Sons of Anarchy, which I really have no interest in but I'll occasionally watch for a minute or two when I'm passing through the living room, and Stephen King of all people showed up in an episode. That's probably the least likely appearance I would have imagined. I will say, that show does have a great cast for recurring and guest appearances. Ron Perlman should have more starring roles (where he's not covered in prosthetic makeup).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Alan Smithee posted:

Oh oh, I watched way too much NCIS so I can answer this one. The idea is that they only investigate crimes involving the Navy specifically. So a murder on a Navy yard, on a Navy ship, involving a dead Navy officer, or if a Navy officer is a suspect, that sort of thing. Somewhere that it would make some sense that they would have jurisdiction. The first episode they muscle their way onto Air Force One...somehow, I forget how, but they got that George W. impersonator from that Comedy Central show for a quick walk through. They sometimes get involved in international terrorist cases, but there's basically always some flimsy Naval connection to handwave why they're there, and they're always working with the FBI or CIA when they're doing that.

Granted, that's most of the time. Sometimes they just go overseas and have one of their guys rescue someone or murder someone, because America gently caress yeah and all that.

That being said, I haven't watched it in years (I can't believe it's still on). So they may have left that pretense behind by now. Apparently Wilmer Valderrama has been on for quite some time? And Mark Harmon left last season, but they didn't kill him off. If you're a male character, you're allowed to just leave. If you're a female character, you're usually killed off (Kate, Director Shepard, Paula Cassidy, Ziva (though I think they retconned her death so she's alive again)).

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 10, 2023