Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Slavvy posted:

Some Ducatis have vvt, some Harleys have it, bmw have it. It just hasn't got that much value compared to the cost of implementing it unless you're in an edge case eg dr a. dentist wants an adv that works like an adv but also has pub bragging horsepower. Hence the bikes with vvt are adv's. Nobody on a normal bike needs it.

The NMAX 125 scoot has VVT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lungboy posted:

The NMAX 125 scoot has VVT!

Impressive tbh

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I have never sold a motorcycle before. I feel sad about selling my learner bike and I kind of don't want to do it because it's a nice motorcycle and I like it. Is this a normal feeling? Will I miss this bike for the rest of my life once it's gone? (I only have space for one bike so keeping it around isn't a good option and I'd rather ride the new SV650 but I rode the little Honda today and it's just nice. Also so very familiar).

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
You Everyone should have two at least two bikes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Now that my kids have bikes, there are now more motorcycles than people in my house and I've never been more proud

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Same. 3 dirt bikes of various sizes and the VStrom and the Monkey. I feel that's good variety

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Invalido posted:

I have never sold a motorcycle before. I feel sad about selling my learner bike and I kind of don't want to do it because it's a nice motorcycle and I like it. Is this a normal feeling? Will I miss this bike for the rest of my life once it's gone? (I only have space for one bike so keeping it around isn't a good option and I'd rather ride the new SV650 but I rode the little Honda today and it's just nice. Also so very familiar).

I'm a pretty sentimental dude who spent years on my first bike, swore up and down it could do everything well enough, and anyway I could not afford more bike. When I sold it I had a really hard time watching it ride away without me. It helped that it went to a new rider who was excited about it, as well as by the fact that I was relieved not to have an unused bike slowly corroding in my carport. But still it was a really sad day.

I have often wondered what its fate was, and it remains beautiful and awesome in my memory, but what I later missed was riding, not that specific bike. When I started back up I ended up with one bigger bike, one smaller bike, and they are both more fun and good at what they do than my learner was. Yes I could ride the GS500e adequately on gravel, but the Vanvan is sooo much more light and competent at it, I can take it into OHV trails, and I had no idea what I was missing. I don't miss the 500cc on country highways at 75mph, it was adequate, but it was not relaxing, and in crosswinds something heavier's been really nice.

so this

moxieman posted:

You Everyone should have two at least two bikes.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Fabio's collection is the dream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VSkY0MfOqk

Sure, Ralph Lauren may have a 600 million dollar rare car collection in a custom-built facility, with each flawlessly restored car resting on a spotless white podium surrounded by designer couches on which you can sit and contemplate its beauty.

But does he have 40 lovely dirt bikes in a tent in his backyard?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Fabio rules, he fights birds on rollercoasters, and he could take a small village dirtbiking

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Fabio rules, he fights birds on rollercoasters, and he could take a small village dirtbiking

fabio comes across as awesome in that for sure. props to the dude buy all the bikes

Slavvy thanks for the recommendations for tires, The michalin pilots are amazing and the difference in the rear was noticable. The rear being more of a standard shape instead of the cruiser big flatish area was noticeable right away and I felt I could turn and lean so so much easier compared to the cruiser style that were present before. Its amazing how big a difference it made it makes to not ride a cruiser tire.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You're welcome :) it also shows that even if you have an incredibly not-sporty bike the impact of tyres is huge and noticeable.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
As long as we're on the subject of Slavvy recommending tires, what should I upgrade the three year old stock tires on my SV650 with? I don't want rain optimised hard wearing Michelins, nor super sticky track day rubber but something sensible in between. Tippy is good, confidence inspiring levels of grip for fun in dry weather is good.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You have described the pirelli angel gt

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Slavvy posted:

You have described the pirelli angel gt

Good to know. This information will be stored for later use :)

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Imagine living in Sweden and *not* wanting rain optimized. You buffoon.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
He'll do fine.
I've used Angel GT 2, diablo rosso 3 and 4 here in Norway, +4c and rain is not uncommon when I ride.
Heck, rossos work on gravel too for shorter distances, your bike just gets more dirty.

edit: huh, I swore I had some picture of gravel road and rossos, but it was with power 5 tires.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Apr 11, 2023

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Yeah I mean I'll ride in rain or cold or dust and dirt, but I do so cautiously and without gusto. I'd rather have tires that come into their own when conditions are good which is the only time I feel frisky than live with a set of the very best foul weather tires that also make the bike less fun.

E: the little Honda just passed inspection with flying colors so it's going up for sale. It's OK, I hope it finds a good home.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I like the Battlax T32 on my SV so far. Haven't done any hard riding in the rain, but the feel solid at normal traffic speeds. Also no issues in almost freezing weather.
Much better than the pilot road on this bike.

No experience with the other tires mentioned in this thread

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Alright so tickets are about to be released for the annual test-ride-all-the-bikes event arranged by the local moto businesspeople bigwigs. You buy a ticket for like :20bux: and book a bunch of bikes you want to try on this "track":

I had a ticket for last year but got sick with the flu so I've never been, but as bro told it it was like ten minutes of seat time per test ride, pretty low speeds and a bunch of cones everywhere.

Here's a list of the bikes that you can ride: https://mcbranschen.se/wp/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/Forteckning-provfordon-Start2Ride.pdf

I'm not looking to purchase another bike right now but I figure I'd be a dumbass not to go and test a bunch of different things just to expand my horizons a bit. I think maybe I want to try a maxiscooter, something electric, something small and fun, something very German/Austrian, something very English, something very American, something Italian with passione, something with three wheels and something completely and utterly dumb. I think I get to book like ten bikes (or twice that if I attend both days) and I have next to no clue what to go for. Suggestions are welcome. (I don't know what most of these bikes on the list even are)

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Aprilia 660 (Tuono or RS)
Ninja 400
S1000XR
1290 SuperDuke
Honda CB650R
SV650
GSX-S1000
Street Triple
Indian FTR
MT-09 SP

imo

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

quote:

Ninja H2
Just so you can say you have. Hopefully they let you get up past parking lot speeds at least?

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
690 SMC

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Either the Road Glide or Street Glide 114 are the biggest Harleys on that list. Pick one, turn on the radio, and feel the freedom as you duck walk around the parking lot. :911:

Edit: 114 refers to the engine size in cubic inches (or about 1.9 L)

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Toe Rag posted:

Aprilia 660 (Tuono or RS)
Ninja 400
S1000XR
1290 SuperDuke
Honda CB650R
SV650
GSX-S1000
Street Triple
Indian FTR
MT-09 SP

imo

Good list. The Aprilia is passione, the ninja 400 seems small and fun. I have an SV650 so that's out (although I guess it's maybe the new one with a parallell twin but meh), but the MT-09 is a strong candidate for "next bike eventually" ambitions, though I honestly have some growing up to do that will take years. The street triple seems kinda cool but man that front end is ugly.

Holy moly. I just googled BMW CE 04 and man it's both electric and super dumb looking and maybe a scooter I guess so It's on the short list.

Deeters posted:

Either the Road Glide or Street Glide 114 are the biggest Harleys on that list. Pick one, turn on the radio, and feel the freedom as you duck walk around the parking lot. :911:
This is the way. I have absolutely no business riding something that heavy but I figure if I'm ever gonna do it now is the time. Not my bike and they'll let me do it so why not.
Regarding speeds, bro says last year it was like 50mph tops and just momentarily but mostly well below that, so trying to experience a fast bike going fast doesn't seem to be what this event is about at all it's all about selling motorcycles

Oh yes.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Oh yeah, I forgot you have an SV650. 690 SMC then. I had that on my list until I saw the third page.

I used to think the Street Triple was ugly, but I like it now. Much better looking than the competing Kawasaki, Yamaha, and Suzuki offerings IMO.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
BMW and electric sounds exciting

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

TotalLossBrain posted:

BMW and electric sounds exciting

More or less so than Italian and electric?

I really want to ride an attempt at making a good electric bike just to see what it's like.
Energica EVA Ribelle is 10 kgs lighter than the EsseEsse9 so I guess I'll go for that one if I can book it. It has absolutely bananas power figures but it's probably put in some nerfed mode for the unwashed masses (I hope).

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Invalido posted:

Energica EVA Ribelle is 10 kgs lighter than the EsseEsse9

So it only weighs like an 80s 1100cc? All the Energicas are heavy as poo poo.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
You could expand that statement to "all EV's capable of high speed for any meaningful distance are heavy as poo poo". Whenever I get to drive an electric car I think "pretty nice, but man it feels heavy". On a bike that mass is way more apparent just standing still, also bikes have poo poo aero and therefore poo poo range at speed if battery powered. Doesn't mean I don't want to try one if I get the chance. Would I buy one could I afford it? Highly doubtful at this time. If any of the hyped next gen battery techs actually deliver and you can get the same current flow from a pack with half the mass I'm sure you could build some really entertaining bikes though, albeit still with poo poo range at speed.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
How many f bombs do y'all drop trying to fenangle wheels through paddock stands with their spacers intact?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You're using one of those dumb ones that hold the bottom of the forks aren't you

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Yes. That is a minor problem, the bigger issue was aligning the wheel with the forks without knocking off the spacers in front. The rear the wheel itself is what holds the brake caliper on which seems terrible.
And also aligning the rear wheel with the rear pads and swingarm.

The back I ended up using a piece of wood as a ramp and lever to raise the wheel up to the swingarms.

There has to be a better way. I was expecting this to take an hour, not three.

The front went in OK as the stand was randomly the same height as the wheel, after I pulled the front caliper off which I should have just done to begin with.

I wanted practice doing this as my bike has tubes and I want to be sure I can replace tubes in a pinch on the go.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 15, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I don't know if any bike that isn't any actual dirt bike that lets you take the front wheel off without removing the front caliper

The rear caliper mount being retained by the axle is 90% of bikes out there

Even with lovely stands this stuff takes about ten minutes, you just have to git gud

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I just watched a youtube video of a dude using his foot as a ramp to raise the rear wheel up to the right level. Sigh. Apparently.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If it makes it easier you can take the rear pads out and chamfer the bottom edges with a file, it won't affect their operation but it makes it easier to slot the disc in

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slavvy posted:

I don't know if any bike that isn't any actual dirt bike that lets you take the front wheel off without removing the front caliper

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I've done it with my Hawk GT dozens of times

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
https://www.pit-bull.com/pit-crew-tire-wedge-f0102-000

This, basically. Unfortunately I got Moto-D stands, not the pitbulls. I can learn to live without but god drat!

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

I just watched a youtube video of a dude using his foot as a ramp to raise the rear wheel up to the right level. Sigh. Apparently.

There's another way?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I've done it with my Hawk GT dozens of times

Interesting, to be fair that's a very old bike. Usually there isn't enough space between the rim and caliper, or the guard is too close. Maybe I should try it more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not
What’s the deal with heavily laden bikes and traction?

I had a couple of moments today while riding my MTS1100 home from a long trip today. (This is the first gen multistrada without any traction control, etc).

I had full panniers and a top box and was riding fairly fast on mountain roads the whole day. Towards the end of the day today, it started to rain gently, and twice within the space of a couple of hours, I had the rear fishtail on me when I was on the gas on relatively gentle turns. (ie: the back tyre broke loose, the rear of the bike waved around, then settled down on constant throttle / with my hands loose on the bars.) It felt kind of like goosing the throttle on a dirt bike coming out of a corner, but more violent.

In both cases, I was going over patches of variable traction - slightly smoother asphalt than the stuff around it. I get that the ground was wet, but I wasn't going dry-road fast, and it wasn't pouring rain. My rear tyre was also a road 6 with about 2000km on it: basically brand new. The second time, I was genuinely surprised because I’d backed off my pace after the first incident. I was still on it, I guess, but was being consciously gentler with the throttle. (Maybe 120km/hr? Again, gentle turn, on the gas, patch of smoother asphalt).

I’m happy to put this down to riding too hard in rain, but thinking about it further, I’ve only experienced this sort of rear wheel fishtailing twice before, both times also on tall, heavily laden sports tourers. Once with a pillion on an S1000XR, once with a ton of luggage on a Caponord 1200.

Both of those other times the road was dry, but I was on the gas through a very gentle turn over a mildly variable surface (like crossing a centre line to overtake).

In each case I’d been riding all day so everything was up to temp and I was in flow / pretty focussed. Maybe a bit tired.

I can see plenty of red flags in the stuff I’ve written above about outriding the conditions, but I’ve ridden all of the bikes in question *much* harder in the same conditions without luggage, and never experienced the same thing.

Also, the vast majority of my bike time has been on streetfightered bikes - a first gen Tuono, a super duke 990 and a SV1K with a motocross bar - riding like a total dong, and I've never experienced the same thing on those. None of those bikes had traction control, and I've taken the piss with them on slightly damp roads with a fair amount of luggage.

This has *only* happened to me on tall old-man bikes when they’ve been weighed down. (The S1000XR and Caponord had electronic suspension, btw, so the preload was set about right).

Is there something I'm missing here, because I would have thought more weight on the back would mean more better traction?