Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

A lot of the mods I used seem updated for 1.18, and the only one that wasn't that I felt like I *needed* was ProspectorInfo, which has a community fix for 1.18 in the comments.

Time to try it out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Anime Store Adventure posted:

A lot of the mods I used seem updated for 1.18, and the only one that wasn't that I felt like I *needed* was ProspectorInfo, which has a community fix for 1.18 in the comments.

Time to try it out!

what's your mod list?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Ruggan posted:

what's your mod list?

I wish there was a nice way to compile it with links that didn't involve just doing it manually. Honestly, though, basically my "must haves" are a lot of the mod author Craluminum2413's tweaks and things, and then the prospecting info mod. Other assorted stuff is just kinda nice to haves or things I'm trying out that are updated for 1.18.

The one I haven't seen updated (but might still work? Dunno) is the "auto place waypoints when you pick up copper bits" and things, which is a nice quality of life one.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

That one was called Campaign Cartographer or something similar, iirc.

I found it pretty useful cause it also had nice little shortcut commands for placing map markers. Like you could type “.wp bees” and it would make a yellow bee icon marker. You could even change/customize the command text and the marker they would leave.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
i just used Auto Map Markers

Campaign Cartographer seems like it has more features though

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
last time I tried AMM it crashed when I found a trader (not sure if the mod caused it but disabling the mod fixed the crash when I'd get near it).

not sure if it's been fixed since then (this was an early v.18 build of the game too)

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"
I’m just happy we can obtain mods without hitting the computer with 5000 flavors of malware and exploits. The Minecraft mod scene is really awful for that.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Where have you been getting your mods from!?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

The official website hosts them, actually. https://mods.vintagestory.at/

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Where have you been getting your mods from!?

If you mean the Minecraft mods, a few years ago I was trying to get the Technic Pack and some associated mods, and they were only available through some extremely sketchy free hosting service that would run those 100% cpu pop up spam sites. Even with several adblockers running on Chrome the site would spin the CPU red hot and become nonfunctional, and reroute to all sorts of hijacker sites.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yeah, I would not go near those sites at all, but I've been modding minecraft for a decade and never had to.

Still vintage story actually running the mid repository is a nice change from when all minecraft had was an unaffiliated forum.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I got myself into the copper age on v17, and I’d like to start a new world with all I’ve learned on v18. Is the current RC stable enough, or should I wait for the official “Stable” release?

I just don’t want to do the Stone Age a dozen times before settling into a longer game.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

Power Walrus posted:

I got myself into the copper age on v17, and I’d like to start a new world with all I’ve learned on v18. Is the current RC stable enough, or should I wait for the official “Stable” release?

I just don’t want to do the Stone Age a dozen times before settling into a longer game.

Seems stable so far except that the worldgen seems to be changing some and being tweaked every version, so each time I’ve made a new world and seen some improvement. Still, for the last few versions I’ve had a suspiciously hard time finding copper surface deposits. Don’t know if that’s just bad luck on my part though.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I did notice an option on worldgen for copper and tin surface deposits. Not sure if that was there before, but the default is “rare”.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
I'm 60-some hours into my second world and just found my first iron deposit after tons of exploring (some in creative mode to save travel/sanity time)...and of course I'm considering starting a new world once v18 fully launches. Might do what some people here considered and do a "starter pack" of things from creative mode so I'm not in dirt hovel and stone tools mode for 30 hours. I'm really interested in how the worldgen has improved. Also gives me a chance to make a non-box shaped home and settle in a warmer area.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Power Walrus posted:

I did notice an option on worldgen for copper and tin surface deposits. Not sure if that was there before, but the default is “rare”.

Thats when you find nuggets just sitting on the surface, note those locations, if you dig down a few blocks to the stone, you'll find a small "surface" desposit of that metal/mineral.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

God i cant find Tin for the life of me. I mustve gotten extremely lucky in my last game or something

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Hihohe posted:

God i cant find Tin for the life of me. I mustve gotten extremely lucky in my last game or something

You did. Tin has very few surface deposits and is a pain to find.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Well drat, any tips on finding some?
Or is prospecting for a deep deposit the best way?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I assume this is for bronze, so my advice is to forget tin and get bismuth and zinc for some bismuth bronze. Was much easier to prospect last time we played.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
You can also make black bronze with 2 nuggets each of silver and gold. You get nuggets sometimes when panning bone soil. Silver and gold veins generate inside of quartz which is often visible without any digging, so they're easy to prospect for.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Crap, but i need bronze tools to break through Quartz

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Yeah it's a bit of a chicken and egg problem, that.

Your main options are to pan for enough nuggets to cast your first bronze pick head, hope to find one in ruins, or trade for one.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Worldgen could still use some work, in my opinion. I find that it generates worlds in what seems like your typical procgen way, leaving a landscape that feels very unexciting.

The addition of ocean on worldgen helps. This mod also helps a bit: https://mods.vintagestory.at/show/mod/4522

Still, after flying around the world a bit I still found that (1) the lack of rivers jumps out to me, (2) caves still feel like worm holes, (3) there’s still too much jagged landscape / regions of lots of up-down-up-down.

The game has a strong foundation, so maybe eventually this stuff will be improved. Fingers crossed!

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

found some! there was a High (0.2) (lol) while prospecting so i gave it a try by digging down and i heard a drifter so i dug a little to the left of my shaft and found a cave.
explored it a little and found some tin bits but if i was just digging down i dont think id ever find any tin. iron rules so much harder

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Finding any kind of ore is mostly a matter of luck and persistence. You need to use the prospector pick every 3-4 large map squares. Some ores only show up in some rock layers, so in theory you can reduce the search area that way, but there are multiple rock layers in so you will often find ores in unexpected locations. Eventually you'll hit an area with a the right ores and then you need to check the nearby squares to find the local maximum.

Once you've found the best large map square, you need to dig exploratory shafts all through the large map square.

HelloSailorSign posted:

You've got access to the 2nd prospecting pick setting, yes? Node search is your friend here.

If you don't, turn it on if you didn't activate it at game start with /worldConfig propickNodeSearchRadius [0-12]

I usually go with 6 as the radius.

What I do is....
- Have ~100 ladders, about a dozen torches
- Pick a random spot within the [large map square], dig straight down while plopping down a ladder in my 1x1 shaft, and every ~10 blocks, do a prospecting pick node search. Not density search, node search only takes 1 block.
- If I don't get a cassiterite hit, I dig another 10 down and repeat.
- If I do get a cassiterite hit - or any other ore I'm looking for - I...

Mine 5 in the + or - x or z direction, then do the last block as a prospecting pick node search. If I get the same value hit for amount of blocks (trace vs small vs huge etc) then that's the direction I dig in. If not, I turn a different direction (not down) and do the same. I'm only doing a 1x1 prospecting hole to decrease drifter spawning chances.

Then, once I'm in the new direction, I then go up 5 and down 5 blocks (with more ladders) prospecting node search at the end of each. Once I decide I'm in the area, I make a stair step pattern to cover area in the cube I've narrowed down as the location of the ore I've been finding.

And if I don't see any ore I want in that shaft, I move ~10 blocks over (you could do exactly 12 if you want, it's based on the radius you pick) and make a new 1x1 shaft down, laddering it up along the way.

As you're holding on to the ladder, if you happen into a cave you won't just fall in. You can escape quickly upward if Bad Things come for you.

Each ore type has some specifics on where in the y axis it can spawn, seen here: https://wiki.vintagestory.at/index.php/Ore_Deposits

You really want the mod that saves your prospecting info and displays it on the map. I think it is called ProspectorPro?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Ruggan posted:

Worldgen could still use some work, in my opinion. I find that it generates worlds in what seems like your typical procgen way, leaving a landscape that feels very unexciting.

The addition of ocean on worldgen helps. This mod also helps a bit: https://mods.vintagestory.at/show/mod/4522

Still, after flying around the world a bit I still found that (1) the lack of rivers jumps out to me, (2) caves still feel like worm holes, (3) there’s still too much jagged landscape / regions of lots of up-down-up-down.

The game has a strong foundation, so maybe eventually this stuff will be improved. Fingers crossed!

I was hoping for some more realistic landscapes before we started our second full run, at least some proper rivers would do wonders for the immersion. I think I saw a mod that added waterwheel construction similar to a windmill, that's something I'd really like to build, if there would be flowing rivers and currents.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

It doesn't sound like rivers are coming in .18 though I might have missed something. They've been a goal for a while but for some reason they can't figure them out

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The terrain generator would need need changing beyond what's currently exposed. I don't know how the code is organised, but it's easy to make some noise functions that create a 3d terrain, and brutally hard to add features that require "state" and multiple steps. Rivers needs riverbeds, they need something looking like erosion, their path needs to be guided by the result of the generated terrain, and so on.

It's surprisingly involved, so I wouldn't be surprised if it takes some serious modifications to the terrain generation code.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
There's a lot of things about rivers that will never be right or good in a voxel game, just because of how the water simulation works in these games. No waterfalls, no flowing at any angle other than straight down or straight horizontal. Theyre' always going to be essentially long, thin lakes.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

that'd make a lot of sense as a problem in a game with fewer flying mountains and worm tunnels and stuff, I'm fairly sure you could drop a Dwarf Fortress style squiggly line of water that just cuts through anything in its path into VS without too much hassle but from the sound of it they're probably planning to overhaul worldgen entirely at some point, so why bother right now

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Dwarf Fortress runs erosion simulation based on rainfall and drainage after generating the terrain. It's a multi-step process. That's the kind of hard part of the problem: To look good you need to run some simulation step, to do that you need to know where the river is flowing, which requires knowledge of the terrain, which becomes a problem because Vintage Story generates each chunk independent from another. If the player stands at where a river would theoretically drain into the ocean, the game would have already had to have generated the entire river (and thus a lot of terrain) far away from the player, because otherwise it can't know where the river is flowing to.

Of course, you can ditch the simulation aspect and just generate your rivers according to a pre-set noise map regardless of the underlying terrain, but it would look very weird.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

posting my squalor

still need more cloth to make a proper windmill

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Hihohe posted:

posting my squalor

Lmao at the smol mill.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Hihohe posted:

posting my squalor

That’s a good start!

It takes a ridiculous amount of flax to make windmill sails. That’s pretty much what the windmill for our first helve hammer looked like.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I'd make it a bit higher. Iirc power scales with height above sea level and you can get up to 50% more juice out of your sails.

Axles are pretty cheap, so you can make a tower that looks a lot more like a real windmill.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Im also starting a sheep farm in the back

Antigravitas posted:

I'd make it a bit higher. Iirc power scales with height above sea level and you can get up to 50% more juice out of your sails.

Axles are pretty cheap, so you can make a tower that looks a lot more like a real windmill.

Did not know that

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I swear by mass farming flax, and then rather than building high build wide. There's a loss for the long axels. Instead work on building 4 windmills, you can convert 4 into moving on big wheel. Then set up some clutches and gears to make a transmission. This will let you gear down in low wind times and get useful work even on less than 10% wind. Then gear up for when the wind is really blowing and you can make those helve hammers fly.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Antigravitas posted:

Lmao at the smol mill.

You wound me sir, now i have to defend my honor
I built it bigger and fancier

still need more sails but when i get them itll look really good i think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

I swear by mass farming flax, and then rather than building high build wide. There's a loss for the long axels. Instead work on building 4 windmills, you can convert 4 into moving on big wheel. Then set up some clutches and gears to make a transmission. This will let you gear down in low wind times and get useful work even on less than 10% wind. Then gear up for when the wind is really blowing and you can make those helve hammers fly.

While you do lose power per block of mechanical structure you make, if you're simply talking about the difference between going up a block (and gaining 1% power) or not, it's (almost?) always in the benefit of building higher. The problem is when you have a single windmill structure with numerous elongated horizontal axles coming off doing other things. You want your machines to all be near the base of your sails to minimize number of mechanical structure blocks.

The 4 windmill setup (heck even the 2 windmill setup) are not aesthetically pleasing. :colbert: