Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Debunk This! posted:

Now you need to film a reaction video of you reacting to reaction videos.

2nd level reaction videos are already a thing, soon it will be a nest of so many picture in picture in picture ......in picture portraits of people reacting to the first video that it's like watching a massive zoom meeting only smeared across a bountiful 240p video frame further mangled by reddits video player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
We could create a chain of react videos. It'd be a like a game of telephone; the first person reacts to some video by laughing. By the time we get to 15, the person will be reacting with intense anger.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Tunicate posted:

You have training to do.

If the meetings were scheduled for longer, I wouldn't have a problem. :shrug:

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

YeahTubaMike posted:

A meeting is scheduled from 1pm to 2pm.

Meeting holder, at 1:58pm: "I know we're kind of close to time here, but does anyone have any questions?" (pet peeve #1)
Meeting attendee: "Actually yeah, can you tell me the meaning of life, the universe, and all things within it?" (pet peeve #2)
MH, at 1:59pm: "That's actually a really great question, let me give you & everyone else in this meeting the full, complete, nuanced answer right now" (pet peeve #3)

I know mid/high-level employees want to be nice & encourage curiosity (sometimes anyway), but holy loving poo poo, meetings have end times for a reason, and some questions can wait. :mad:

edit: For the record, I would be willing to stay overtime in a meeting if the meaning of life were actually being explained, this is merely an example

I once had a manager who pulled this move every single time without fail. You know how in the last 5-10 minutes of a meeting, there’s this energy in the room as people start gathering up their things and preparing to wrap it up? Yeah strap yourself in, there’s at least another hour to go.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

credburn posted:

I know this is probably old ground, but "reaction" videos are different than what I thought they were. I guess I've been seeing occasionally this side-by-side set of videos, one that is funny or confusing and the other that shows some person uhhh... laughing at it or being frustrated by it. What upsets me so much about this is that I didn't know that the reaction video was added on afterward; I thought all these videos were made together, by the same person. So it's an already funny video, or a video that already has some kind of premise, and someone crams their stupid face next to it so I can see how they react? Why is THAT the version being shared? It's the same loving video just with an added person reacting to it. It's like adding a loving laugh track to a show that doesn't need it. It objectively makes the video worse

It's a bullshit way to steal other people's content and make money by plastering your face onto it. At least some "react" people do actual commentary or a review but 99% of the videos are poo poo. I kind of like those Corridor Digital guys explaining stunts and filmmaking but the way they keep begging you to subscribe turned me off.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Arrath posted:

2nd level reaction videos are already a thing, soon it will be a nest of so many picture in picture in picture ......in picture portraits of people reacting to the first video that it's like watching a massive zoom meeting only smeared across a bountiful 240p video frame further mangled by reddits video player.

Or something like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVPtCr384V8&hd=1

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

It is an absolute coin flip whether my dad texts me with SMS, Signal, or Facebook Messenger (which I have told him a million times I don't have on my phone and won't get until I'm on my PC)

I s2g he is uniquely problem solving 'how do I message kyg' every single time

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I was expecting the girl from the Ring to crawl out at the end there, freaky.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Crespolini posted:

it's hosed up that people want to know when the thing they're waiting for is going to happen, but why don't you just give a vague estimate? like within x days or something if you're so scared they'll call you about it?

I forgot I posted this, but basically we send issues to one of several local offices where we don't know their schedule, how many people they have capable of responding, how many other issues they have to call people about before this one, if they're going to request more info from us first, etc.

I figure the company thinks it's just easier to say "I'm sorry, we're not able to provide a timeframe" than try to make a guess with that many factors (and inevitably disappoint people).

Besides, my main peeve was the people who hear that and jump to "you're telling me it might be literal decades before I get a response!!" as if that's not patently ridiculous and they know it.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Arrath posted:

https://youtu.be/FZVMB8mrNO0

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Parasol Prophet posted:

I forgot I posted this, but basically we send issues to one of several local offices where we don't know their schedule, how many people they have capable of responding, how many other issues they have to call people about before this one, if they're going to request more info from us first, etc.

I figure the company thinks it's just easier to say "I'm sorry, we're not able to provide a timeframe" than try to make a guess with that many factors (and inevitably disappoint people).

Besides, my main peeve was the people who hear that and jump to "you're telling me it might be literal decades before I get a response!!" as if that's not patently ridiculous and they know it.

I sympathise with being on the receiving end of people's wrath, but that's just lovely customer service from your company. The reason people leap to absurd timeframes is to highlight how ridiculous it is that the company refuses to tell them how long something might take.

Anyway, my pet peeve is when there's a cool song on the radio, and they don't tell you what it is afterwards.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

The Perfect Element posted:

I sympathise with being on the receiving end of people's wrath, but that's just lovely customer service from your company. The reason people leap to absurd timeframes is to highlight how ridiculous it is that the company refuses to tell them how long something might take.
Tiggum it is better to underpromise and overdeliver than the opposite.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah I work in a field where we send off applications for clients into the ether and have no control whatsoever how long they will take, but I can almost always still say to clients "it will be a matter of weeks and months" or "it might take a year or possibly two" so they have some idea.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

No one remembers the faster-than-expected turnarounds or accurate predictions quite the way they remember when something was an hour later than they expected.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I guess to some extent it's impossible to ever fully guarantee that anything at all can ever be done within any fixed period of time. We should do away with estimates altogether.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"Any idea when my power's gonna be back on?"

"Mu!"

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Parasol Prophet posted:

There's gotta be the same psychopathology at work between the people who make responses like that, and the people who respond to mild criticism by immediately taking it to the extreme. Like, you ask your roommate to please make sure he closes the freezer door all the way, and he flips out and yells, "Fine!! I'll just never use the freezer ever again!!!"

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Rabbit Hill posted:

There's gotta be the same psychopathology at work between the people who make responses like that, and the people who respond to mild criticism by immediately taking it to the extreme. Like, you ask your roommate to please make sure he closes the freezer door all the way, and he flips out and yells, "Fine!! I'll just never use the freezer ever again!!!"

A few houses down from where I live, there is a dog that barks almost every day at 6 in the morning, and very often around 11 to midnight. Also just generally throughout the day at anyone who walks by, or just because.
My next-door neighbour, a really cool old guy who I have over for dinner every Friday evening, went over to that house a few weeks ago when he saw that the owner was just leaving for work.
He asked the owner if he could maybe keep his dogs reasonably quiet, since the bylaws state that 8:00am to 8:00pm are dog-barking times.
The owner lost it, and claimed that the only way he could "make them SHUT UP is to PUT THEM DOWN" and that he would come by his house in a few days to "GET THE BILL for the COST of THE INJECTION!"
Like what the heck?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Cooking-show judges who describe an al dente (or harder) texture as "toothsome." "Toothsome" means "delicious." It has nothing to do with texture or hardness. :argh:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

"al dente" means "to the tooth", and "toothsome" is also a valid description for "al dente".

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

FFT posted:

"al dente" means "to the tooth", and "toothsome" is also a valid description for "al dente".
False friends.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/toothsome

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I've never heard anyone describe anything as "toothsome." It sounds horrible. Like it's full of teeth.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Well, some teeth

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Watch cooking competition shows. They say that poo poo all the time.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Hirayuki posted:

I think based on this information that I will not.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I have my phone set to go into silent mode (Do Not Disturb) on a schedule, namely when I'm working and when I'm sleeping.

It did this no problem for years but twice in the last month it has just randomly nuked the schedule entirely with no warning, resulting in my stupid nerdy SMS tone going off when I'm in meetings and such!

Bitch I put this poo poo on an automatic schedule for a reason! Cut it out!

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Windows Defender: *WARNING! SECURITY ISSUE, ACTION NEEDED!!!!!*
You open the panel and the only 'issue' is that you've disabled one of the 'we send whatever we want back to microsoft, pinky swear we won't misuse this.' phone-home features.

Microsoft, this is how you get people to ignore warnings. When you ping out these important seeming notification things for trivial poo poo like 'user has disabled some of the telemetry', all you're doing is teaching them to ignore you.
Why even let me disable it if all you're going to do is constantly whine that I have?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

docbeard posted:

I think based on this information that I will not.

do it though, they're the best shows

this meme isn't super relevant but it always makes me giggle.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

There’s needs to be a better way to get females to take their air pods out of their ears than the “imaginary pulls them out” air gesture we all know and use. I just feel so embarrassed/awkward using it every couple minutes on the subway.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
more like oldboundaryless

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

oldpainless posted:

There’s needs to be a better way to get females to take their air pods out of their ears than the “imaginary pulls them out” air gesture we all know and use. I just feel so embarrassed/awkward using it every couple minutes on the subway.

Pro tip: You don't need to get them to remove their airpods. You can just gesture "you should smile more" and get your message across.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I keep reading lilnasx's insta handle as lilsnax and it makes me want snacks.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

2nd flat tire in, like, 9 weeks. First one was my bad, I'll own it. During the big ice storm in late Feb, I came around a corner and there was a surprise rock. I decided to let the tire eat it instead of try to dodge and spin out on the ice and probably get broadsided by oncoming.

Today though, the tire that is supposedly brand new as it wa replacing the flat, just delaminated out of nowhere as I'm cruising down the road. I didn't hit anything, just BAM heart attack. Not 10 minutes after I got through sketchy, windy roads above a raging river with no guardrails though so I'll take it happening here rather than there.

But what the gently caress, goddamnit.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

The local arcade uses a card you load a balance onto, which to its credit, is way more reliable and accessible than requiring coins.

But instead of just saying 'your card has $20 on it, this game is $2', it's got a convoluted point system 100% intended to make you not do the mental math on how much you're actually spending.

I just wanna play video games

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Hirayuki posted:

That and "sexy"

I don't care how much you wanna gently caress the food, nobody wants to hear about it

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
The loving arcade in my town is like

$50 = 780 tickets
This game requires 75.83 tickets per unit
1 game requires 3 units
10 ticket ticket processing fee per unit purchased
minimum 4 units purchase
units unique to this game and for this session only

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

sephiRoth IRA posted:

That and "sexy"

I don't care how much you wanna gently caress the food, nobody wants to hear about it
Hmm. I may be watching the wrong shows.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Hirayuki posted:

Hmm. I may be watching the wrong shows.

It was a common one in the professionals bake off or whatever. The judges were way over the top but sexy when used to describe food is gross :barf:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Killingyouguy! posted:

The local arcade uses a card you load a balance onto, which to its credit, is way more reliable and accessible than requiring coins.

But instead of just saying 'your card has $20 on it, this game is $2', it's got a convoluted point system 100% intended to make you not do the mental math on how much you're actually spending.

I just wanna play video games

Reminds me of how a lot of online services used to (some still do?) work where you could only load up your account in, say, increments of $5 but no purchase would ever be divisible by $5, so you always had unused amounts.

For my own pet peeve of the day:
The bathrooms at work have changed to a much, MUCH worse paper towel. It's so thick/has such a tight weave, it's like trying to dry my hands with printer paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

There's been this non-stop high-pitched whine in my neighborhood and I can't figure out where it is or what to do about it. It's like an emergency test signal is just on somewhere. I know it's been going since it was cold out, but now with the windows open I can hear it inside.

It sucks major rear end