Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
KingOhger 06:
Rita still bae
Racles ramping up to be a much more interesting and less dumb villain than the Bugs and I expect one of the other to eat each other and merge up or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, fun fact: apparently Rita’s actress wasn’t that familiar with Sentai and modeled a lot of her performance on DonBrothers (which explains a lot honestly)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Got a source?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Gira feels like he's still mostly just playing at the whole tyrant king angle but with what's going on with Racles I think the window is at least open for him to go full Hakaider '95.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Nevermind

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Apr 10, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Got a source?

https://news.mynavi.jp/article/20230402-2642272/

https://twitter.com/donsentaizer/status/1642561274117758976

She also mentioned she didn’t watch much Sentai at the official press conference for the series a little while back

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 10, 2023

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
I believe it.
Especially since the sentai cast tend to be a bunch of random cast members from various idol and boyband groups that audition for whatever their agent can get them in front of

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
is there a general consensus on when the shift happened in KR towards leads from boy bands and male models?

Like, most of the Showa riders are good-looking but in that 70s, sideburns-y, and masculine way. Tetsuo Kurata from Black and RX and Joe Odagiri from Kuuga aren't un-hot, but they're clearly still somewhat removed from that.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Agito I'd say, he's got the babyface look.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, I would say they'd have noticed the Odagiri effect happening with Kuuga and then started specifically casting for that afterwards.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
More broadly, I usually hear that changes in kid's tokusatsu to appeal more to moms happened either with or soon after the super sentai show Jetman. That was in 1991, so after Black RX but before it came back with Kuuga.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, the conditions for the phenomenon were brewing for a while but it was Kuuga where they stumbled onto it in a big way. And the results were noticeable enough that the term "odagiri effect" was coined.

After that it became a deliberate strategy.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Man, the citizens of Shuggodom are stupid.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..

Fivemarks posted:

Man, the citizens of Shuggodom are stupid.

i think they kind of deserve to get blown up, geez.

So Gira can directly talk to his shugods. Guess we eventually have powerups with the other kings being able to open up and talk with theirs eventually.
Next episode looks Hime focused, so looking forward to that.

No idea what to make of the food kingdom king, he kind of acts like a fool, but I think he's the most aware of everything else. Constantly playing both sides a bit to always stay a bit ahead.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

GateOfD posted:

i think they kind of deserve to get blown up, geez.

So Gira can directly talk to his shugods. Guess we eventually have powerups with the other kings being able to open up and talk with theirs eventually.
Next episode looks Hime focused, so looking forward to that.

No idea what to make of the food kingdom king, he kind of acts like a fool, but I think he's the most aware of everything else. Constantly playing both sides a bit to always stay a bit ahead.

I don't know if it's a function of the fansub I am watching or what but when they were talking about Gira being able to talk to his shugods I just went, "wait he can?"

RichterIX fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 10, 2023

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The fun thing about Gira being able to talk to Kuwagon is that it isn't even some superpower - for all we can see, he can just because he's the only one to actually recognize the Shugods as living beings and not machines. Yanma has been very clear about seeing them as machines that should be used and manipulated as such (and got angered by Kuwagon refusing to follow his instructions), Himeno sees them as nothing but her possessions, Kaguragi likely sees them as tools (as he sees everything and everyone else except his people), and it's unclear where Rita falls but seeing how they saw God Scorpion as a treasure of Gokkan, they may also see them as tools. Nevermind Racules who sees everything and everyone as a tool he can freely use and discard for his own ambitions. And in turn, Kuwagon is 100% loyal to Gira, to the point of allowing Gira to transform over Racules or work when the rest of the Shugods instead submitted to Racules and God Kuwagata Zero.

It's likely that the rest of the team will learn from Gira and properly bond with their Shugods as the series goes on, including learning their proper names. From episode 1 I thought Kuwagon was just a cute nickname Gira gave God Kuwagata, but this episode confirms that they all have actual names beyond the designations the kingdoms gave them.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
One thing that I realized before the last episode about Gokkan is that the majority of the inhabitants are either former criminals or their descendants. It makes me wonder where Rita falls under this whether she's descended from the non-criminal inhabitants, a descendant of one of the formerly imprisoned, or a formerly imprisoned person herself.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I am not happy about how that Neon arc developed. She was a streamer, she had a ton of fans. Her whole thing is she wants to find love, her streams were about going out on her own to find love. Surely the more satisfying thing would have been for her fans, the community that gathered around specifically her quest to find independence and love, be the thing to save her when she felt like she was completely alone and no one loved her?

But instead that has been completely dropped, and it was her supporter who saved her. Which is crucially different from her stream fans. Her stream fans were the community she created by doing something independently. Her supporter is a guy who noticed her when she was brought into the DGP. Her agency in creating that support is gone.

And she didn't even get a cool upgrade!

Very unsatisfying.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Gripweed posted:

I am not happy about how that Neon arc developed. She was a streamer, she had a ton of fans. Her whole thing is she wants to find love, her streams were about going out on her own to find love. Surely the more satisfying thing would have been for her fans, the community that gathered around specifically her quest to find independence and love, be the thing to save her when she felt like she was completely alone and no one loved her?

But instead that has been completely dropped, and it was her supporter who saved her. Which is crucially different from her stream fans. Her stream fans were the community she created by doing something independently. Her supporter is a guy who noticed her when she was brought into the DGP. Her agency in creating that support is gone.

And she didn't even get a cool upgrade!

Very unsatisfying.

Her stream fans also have zero idea of what's actually going on and would think she's crazy if she tried to talk about being created out of a wish by her father to replace his dead daughter. She's had a much more personal relationship with her supporter, it seems, than her fans which is more of a parasocial one. They don't necessarily like her as a person either, just as a content creator on the internet. Not unlike her Supporter, at least initially, but Kyun also took the initiative to reach out and help her as she more or less isolated herself and nearly gave up.

They're doing a Tycoon arc next it seems so I expect both of them to get their upgrades after that either at the same time or one after the other in time with their new emotional breakthroughs.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It feels like they missed a trick having her bodyguards be a non-factor in this whole situation, when they do seem to care about her well-being and are mostly unrelated to that whole mess.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Gripweed posted:

Streamers are not your friend and you are not theirs! Parasocial relationships are not a healthy substitute for actual human connection that she's desperately hunting for!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Streamers are not your friend and you are not theirs! Parasocial relationships are not a healthy substitute for actual human connection that she's desperately hunting for!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

It's the whole point of Kyuun finally overcoming his fear of communication or connection by throwing away the notepad and actually connecting to her person to person! Which furthers the character arc of Ziin and his lack of real understanding in what is important in life!

It was the real actual connections she's had with Ace and Keiwa and now Kyuun that pulled her to victory and out of the mire of depression and self-doubt she was in. This whole show has been about how important our ability to connect with others, to lift them up and push ahead with them and build our dreams together, is the most important thing. From Keiwa's entire character, to Ace's hidden love for his friends, the fact that the DGP constantly casually takes all the away from its victims, the lessons the sponsors are getting, and Beroba's delight in the destruction of things people hold precious.

A twitch chat isn't any of that.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Apr 11, 2023

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Justin_Brett posted:

It feels like they missed a trick having her bodyguards be a non-factor in this whole situation, when they do seem to care about her well-being and are mostly unrelated to that whole mess.

I miss my quirked up white boy.

I wanna see him henshin.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Blaze Dragon posted:

The fun thing about Gira being able to talk to Kuwagon is that it isn't even some superpower - for all we can see, he can just because he's the only one to actually recognize the Shugods as living beings and not machines. Yanma has been very clear about seeing them as machines that should be used and manipulated as such (and got angered by Kuwagon refusing to follow his instructions), Himeno sees them as nothing but her possessions, Kaguragi likely sees them as tools (as he sees everything and everyone else except his people), and it's unclear where Rita falls but seeing how they saw God Scorpion as a treasure of Gokkan, they may also see them as tools. Nevermind Racules who sees everything and everyone as a tool he can freely use and discard for his own ambitions. And in turn, Kuwagon is 100% loyal to Gira, to the point of allowing Gira to transform over Racules or work when the rest of the Shugods instead submitted to Racules and God Kuwagata Zero.

It's likely that the rest of the team will learn from Gira and properly bond with their Shugods as the series goes on, including learning their proper names. From episode 1 I thought Kuwagon was just a cute nickname Gira gave God Kuwagata, but this episode confirms that they all have actual names beyond the designations the kingdoms gave them.

The impression I get after these first few episodes is that Himeno and Yanma think they're the smartest people in the room when in fact they're relatively easy to manipulate. Kaguragi knows what's up but has his own agenda, and Rita is too preoccupied with the law. Were it not for Gira the five of them would be slaves to Racles by now.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's the whole point of Kyuun finally overcoming his fear of communication or connection by throwing away the notepad and actually connecting to her person to person! Which furthers the character arc of Ziin and his lack of real understanding in what is important in life!

It was the real actual connections she's had with Ace and Keiwa and now Kyuun that pulled her to victory and out of the mire of depression and self-doubt she was in. This whole show has been about how important our ability to connect with others, to lift them up and push ahead with them and build our dreams together, is the most important thing. From Keiwa's entire character, to Ace's hidden love for his friends, the fact that the DGP constantly casually takes all the away from its victims, the lessons the sponsors are getting, and Beroba's delight in the destruction of things people hold precious.

A twitch chat isn't any of that.

You forget our fourth main character and how he shows the counter-side to that: Michinaga refuses to connect to anyone, seeing every Rider as an enemy to be killed regardless of how they actually are, with Keiwa being as close as he's gotten to not hating someone. This has led him to lose every single game, get himself killed in an incredibly stupid way, and join the obviously evil side because nothing matters more to him than his revenge, humanity be damned. And all of this comes from not being able to move on from the one friend he had.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Justin_Brett posted:

Rich influencer not really giving a toss about the hired help who are conspicuously foreign, hmmm

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

OnimaruXLR posted:

Rich influencer not really giving a toss about the hired help who are conspicuously foreign, hmmm

This would be more incisive if the bodyguards weren't completely absent from these episodes. It's not that Neon ignored them, they just straight-up weren't around to try.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The fanbase was a bad example but I understand the issue. Everyone has their own Something To Fight For but Neon is persistently dependent on other people to lean on, whether it's Ace, Keiwa, Kyun, or, briefly, Sae. There's still time, but it would be nice if there were steps toward completing her own identity before achieving "real love" by way of being attached to, let's be open-eyed here, a boy. This episode could be the rock bottom she has to find her own way out of, but then it feels off that the development and the outcome are all about Kyun stepping up.

Also, Kyun himself is basically just a super-viewer? I know this whole arc is about interrogating the parasocial relationships the Supporters have with the Players, but it looks like Kyun's sliding-into-DMs loyalty to Neon was always supposed to be real, he just couldn't get it across. (For what it is, I really liked the idea of reading his letter aloud.)

Caphi fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 11, 2023

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Side note, I saw a theory floated that the one book-holding subordinate of Racles's is actually the Bugnarok lieutenant guy in disguise.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

But that applies equally if not more so to her supporter too!

King of Solomon posted:

This would be more incisive if the bodyguards weren't completely absent from these episodes. It's not that Neon ignored them, they just straight-up weren't around to try.

Like her streams, they just went away when they switched to the JGP. Back when the show was just kinda loving around for 20 episodes, Neon had stuff going on in her life. Now that the plot's happening, it was all just quietly dropped.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Gripweed posted:

Like her streams, they just went away when they switched to the JGP. Back when the show was just kinda loving around for 20 episodes, Neon had stuff going on in her life. Now that the plot's happening, it was all just quietly dropped.

I don't think we're done with the bodyguards. They will most likely appear in a different capacity, but I think there's more that the show can do with them, especially given the context of them being former DGP players. Also, Neon had a brief stream last week, so they haven't completely dropped that part of her character.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

If anything, the dropped character is Keiwa being terminally unemployed

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

May the Sacred Flame shine forth!

Waffleman_ posted:

If anything, the dropped character is Keiwa being terminally unemployed

he got a job at the soba shop awhile back. it was mentioned as a "for now" but he did in fact get a job

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

M.Matsuda posted:

he got a job at the soba shop awhile back. it was mentioned as a "for now" but he did in fact get a job

Ace should be disappointed in him, deciding to actually do something productive with his life instead of wishing to live without ever having to work and also be the Star of the Stars of the Stars.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Gripweed posted:

You're right, it DID! And then he realized that kind of connection wasn't real and was actually there for her as a person. It was the A plot of the episode and the entire point of his and ziins arcs. The protagonist the show is named after has a discussion with him that is about this.

The twitch viewers can't move beyond that because their connection with Neon is the same empty and distant relationship the DGP audience has with the riders. Kyuun moved past that.

If her stream fans alone were a worthy substitute for the relationships Neon is seeking, she would not be seeking them! That's the point of her arc so far. The cold distant interests in her be it her fans or her parents are not the love and connection she's seeking and needs. Ironically the DGP is giving her those even if she's not won it yet because it has allowed her to grow close to people who actually care about her as a person and not as entertainment or some precious thing to protect or her dad's hosed up bad brain

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 11, 2023

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

You're right, it DID! And then he realized that kindnof connection wasn't real and was actually there for her as a person. It was the A plot of the episode and the entire point of his and ziins arcs. The protagonist the show is named after has a discussion with him that is about this.

The twitch viewers can't move beyond that because their connection with Neon is the same empty and distant relationship the DGP audience has with the riders. Kyuun moved past that.

If her stream fans alone were a worthy substitute for the relationships Neon is seeking she would not be seeking them! That's the point of her arc so far. The cold distant interests in her be it her fans or her parents are not the love and connection she's seeking and needs. Ironically the DGP is giving her those even if she's not won it yet because it has allowed her to grow close to people who actually care about her as a person and not as entertainment or some precious thing to protect or her dad's hosed up bad brain

But her stream has to matter because it's the only thing she did! The show is half over and the only thing she has done of her own initiative is the streams!

The show does have a strong theme about parasocial relationships but it hasn't touched Neon's streams at all, it's focused entirely on the supporters. The supporters have problems because living in the future sucks and they seek out vicarious thrills through the DGP. The only modern-day Neon fans we've seen so far is Keiwa and his sister, who are normal people and have healthy relationships with Neon as a celebrity and easily translate it into genuine friendship when they meet her in real life.

At no point have the streams or her current day fans been depicted as something Neon needs to overcome or leave behind. They have only ever been her connection to the wider world while she sought independence from her parents. And, as I said before and I think is super important, they are the only she's done by and for herself. Her stream fans were only depicted as supportive even as Neon failed over and over again. If none of that matters, then why was it in the show?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Gripweed posted:

But her stream has to matter because it's the only thing she did! The show is half over and the only thing she has done of her own initiative is the streams!

No it doesn't! It matters in that it's what she used in a vain attempt to form human connections before the story started and that has largely been supplanted for her by getting real human connections with the other protagonists of the show! It's commentated on them by having her favor the real connections over it and used the DGP audience as a stand in for it when her truth was revealed because you can't really reveal "Oh yeah I"m a fake person made by my insane father's wish to some people from the future" to modern day stream viewers and have it land as the big emotional spike it needed to be.

And it's not the only thing she did of her own initiative. She was streaming Running Away to find her own place and through her choices she's found it! Her actively choosing to return to the DGP after losing the first time is her starting to take the initiative and her leaving her familial home in the face of her origins no matter the consequences and fighting on her own terms in her fully taking those reins. The streams were always just a desperate grab for connection as she fumbled taking control of her life and goals, they were not the main important thing about her even at the start. The running away to be on her own was. It was what was being stopped by her mother and the bodyguards, not the streaming.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 11, 2023

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
It wasn’t a vain attempt because Keiwa and his sister knew her first through her streams. And she didn’t choose to be in the DGP a second time, her role in both seasons was set up by her father so she could catch the attention of a man from the future. Which is another reason the DGP supporters and her stream fans are not equivalent.

Her streams weren’t separate acts from her running away, they were two elements of Neon’s attempts to break out of the confines of her parents house. The streams were simply the successful element, shown by her creating a fan base that supported her even as she failed to physically leave.

Edit: and Neon didn’t exactly leave her home of her own volition, considering that when her mom learned the truth she started screaming that she wasn’t her real daughter. At that point I don’t think staying in the home was really a live option.

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Gripweed posted:

It wasn’t a vain attempt because Keiwa and his sister knew her first through her streams.

Okay so do you think Keiwa formed a connection with her through the stream or was it their mutual experience working together in the DGP and actually being part of each other's lives? Or Ace? It's kind of a consistent point that Ace refers to her as Naago specifically, even in his stomp of the monster last ep where he's talking about them trampling on her feelings, because his connection to her is to that version of her not her the streamer.

Gripweed posted:

Her streams weren’t separate acts from her running away, they were two elements of Neon’s attempts to break out of the confines of her parents house.

The running away is the lion's share of it though. the individual chat members, or her fans at large, never really actually factored into any of her decision making even at the start of the series. The actual driving force was her desperate desire to find a place she belonged, and I have to say it again, she wasn't getting that from streaming because A) You can't but B) If she was she wouldn't choose to continue to fight after she made it big.

Gripweed posted:

Edit: and Neon didn’t exactly leave her home of her own volition, considering that when her mom learned the truth she started screaming that she wasn’t her real daughter. At that point I don’t think staying in the home was really a live option.

You mean the mom that does try to stop her when she goes to leave and they make sure to have Neon herself making the decision to leave as the set up for her ultimate bit of actualization during the fight?

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 11, 2023