Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
say that to his mother's face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

I'm so nervous about the Advance wars remake. I adored the originals as a child and while I'm looking forward to this I have a weird fear that it's going to be a bit of a shitshow.

I'm also disappointed that it seems increasingly obvious that the online multiplayer will be hugely limited.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It does and he's just Ganon. Always.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Ganondorf on golf

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Palmtree Panic posted:

They'll likely stick with the Mario Universe for the time being, since its easy money. Next movie will probably either be a direct sequel or a Donkey Kong movie.

Would love a Luigi's Mansion or Wario movie though.

Yeah I'd be first in line for a luigi's mansion but I bet it will be relegated to direct to streaming. Same with a peach movie if they do one

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Mario X Minions movie

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think the mario movie looks like rear end but its interesting that nintendo is actually doing stuff like that and the theme park now, it's pretty rare that they exploit their IPs like that (Pokemon is a separate case where they're practically spun off into their own media company which Nintnedo happens to partially own)

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Link shouldn't talk and if he does it should be Billy West doing the Fry voice

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
It is very strange to go from "Mario has such protective Brand Integrity that every NPC has to be Toad in a hat" to Nintendo allowing Chris Pratt Mario, yeah. I wonder what changed within the company.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

mycot posted:

It is very strange to go from "Mario has such protective Brand Integrity that every NPC has to be Toad in a hat" to Nintendo allowing Chris Pratt Mario, yeah. I wonder what changed within the company.

They're probably related op i think them wanting to keep the Mario franchise more controlled and "on model" has a lot to do with them wanting to make movies and stuff with it

RME
Feb 20, 2012

They’re testing the waters to see if the next Mario game should be fully voice acted (by Chris Pratt)

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Cranky Kong movie when

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ive never played a zelda game should i try botw or just dive in to totk which to my untrained eye looks like botw+extra stuff

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Kvlt! posted:

ive never played a zelda game should i try botw or just dive in to totk which to my untrained eye looks like botw+extra stuff

Play anything - they are all good.

E: Every single one treats you like you've never played a video game in your life.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i think the mario movie looks like rear end but its interesting that nintendo is actually doing stuff like that and the theme park now, it's pretty rare that they exploit their IPs like that (Pokemon is a separate case where they're practically spun off into their own media company which Nintnedo happens to partially own)

As someone who has never been to the New York store, I've always been of the opinion that Nintendo is leaving tons and tons of money on the table when it comes to merch, either because it's bland or doesn't exist beyond their big series. Which is fine because that leaves a solid and necessary niche for folks on Etsy and other platforms to occupy that space, but I would be willing to drop a lot of money on some officially licensed items that may be a bit too intensive for smaller creators.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Feels Villeneuve posted:

They're probably related op i think them wanting to keep the Mario franchise more controlled and "on model" has a lot to do with them wanting to make movies and stuff with it

yeah I don't think anything about the mario movie flies in the face of nintendo's brand image at all. you can really tell that it's meant to be as in-line as possible with how when there is an unavoidable difference (like peach being a character), they just kinda lie and say that's what they wanted all along

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Manoueverable posted:

As someone who has never been to the New York store, I've always been of the opinion that Nintendo is leaving tons and tons of money on the table when it comes to merch, either because it's bland or doesn't exist beyond their big series. Which is fine because that leaves a solid and necessary niche for folks on Etsy and other platforms to occupy that space, but I would be willing to drop a lot of money on some officially licensed items that may be a bit too intensive for smaller creators.

nintendo is mainly a video game company they aren't like Sony or even the big JP publishing houses which have things like record labels, film/animation studios, print publishing houses etc. i think they want to expand in this direction which is probably why they recently purchased an animation studio but there's a reason it's a lot easier for Sony to do this kind of poo poo than Nintendo

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

nintendo has been moving in this direction ever since the wii u nearly sank their entire company. alternative revenue streams will insulate them in case they ever drop another bomb like that again

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

mycot posted:

Wasn’t that just a weird conspiracy theory Paper Mario fans conjured?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

hatty posted:

Wasn’t that just a weird conspiracy theory Paper Mario fans conjured?

No I'm pretty sure Chris Pratt is a real guy.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
So Hyperlight Drifter with my 8bitdo just vibrates constantly, has any one seen this? Google seems to say there's a FW update that fixes it, but I have the latest update and it still happens.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Manoueverable posted:

I visited the NY store in October 2022 and frankly it was disappointing - there really wasn't much to it. It's way smaller than you might think.

(didn't take a pano in the store but you can kinda glimpse it here)

It's about 10 racks of shirts in the entrance and then some accessories you can get anywhere else on the right side wall.

Upstairs is some more hoodies and shirts for other franchises (I regret not getting the ugly orange Metroid hoodie)

I thought it was going to be huge.

Here's a video someone took of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ97PgJdS8c

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
its insane how much pokemon poo poo there is lol. i think it depends a lot on how reliable the numbers are and how you count them but they are by some measures the highest grossing franchise on the planet

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Keep in mind that a lot of Nintendo’s current “out of character” business decisions all started around 2015 when the Wii U proved to be an huge failure and Iwata started to step back due to his illness. Stuff like Super Mario Run and Nintendo’s current deals with Universal were all announced around that time.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Feels Villeneuve posted:

its insane how much pokemon poo poo there is lol. i think it depends a lot on how reliable the numbers are and how you count them but they are by some measures the highest grossing franchise on the planet

I think that led to me thinking there wasn't much - it's a fuckton of Pokemon and I am not interested in that franchise, haha.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The Mario movie just made Nintendo all the money and smashed records.

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/super-mario-bros-movie-box-office-records-opening-weekend-1235577764/

Expect sequels and don’t be surprised if other Ip’s get movies too, Zelda, Kirby, or maybe Metroid. Then they’ll do a multiverse Smash Brothers crossover movie too like what Marvel does with Avengers…

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

Play anything - they are all good.

E: Every single one treats you like you've never played a video game in your life.

does that include story wise too? ill prob just wait for totk at this point it looks cooler

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Vintersorg posted:

I visited the NY store in October 2022 and frankly it was disappointing - there really wasn't much to it. It's way smaller than you might think.

Went to the Shibuya Parco store and it had a bunch of neat stuff, definitely more than just shirts and Pokemon (in fact, there was no Pokemon merch because that was its own store, right next to the Nintendo store). I picked up a collapsible box that looks like a Mario block, some korok sticky notes, and a Zelda mug with hearts that fill up (from left to right!) when a hot drink is poured in. The lines are super long on weekends though; you need to take a number just to get in. Definitely go there on a weekday if you can.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cartoon Man posted:

The Mario movie just made Nintendo all the money and smashed records.

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/super-mario-bros-movie-box-office-records-opening-weekend-1235577764/

Expect sequels and don’t be surprised if other Ip’s get movies too, Zelda, Kirby, or maybe Metroid. Then they’ll do a multiverse Smash Brothers crossover movie too like what Marvel does with Avengers…

The Subspace Emissary will be vindicated.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Argue posted:

Went to the Shibuya Parco store and it had a bunch of neat stuff, definitely more than just shirts and Pokemon (in fact, there was no Pokemon merch because that was its own store, right next to the Nintendo store). I picked up a collapsible box that looks like a Mario block, some korok sticky notes, and a Zelda mug with hearts that fill up (from left to right!) when a hot drink is poured in. The lines are super long on weekends though; you need to take a number just to get in. Definitely go there on a weekday if you can.

I am preparing myself for the "trinket" overload when I visit Japan in 2024 (🤞 - ticket prices this year are real high from Canada but nothing set in 2024 yet). Video game poo poo, Godzilla poo poo, anything poo poo - gonna need a 2nd suitcase for it all!!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Man I wish The Centennial Case would go on sale again already :mad:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Vintersorg posted:

I think that led to me thinking there wasn't much - it's a fuckton of Pokemon and I am not interested in that franchise, haha.

one of the reasons usually given about why pokemon games have "variable" production values is that console games at this point are only a small portion of their revenue

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

External Organs posted:

Link shouldn't talk and if he does it should be Billy West doing the Fry voice

Have you considered

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDPRwLlpdTU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Congratulations to 2029 Oscar winner Yoshi's Crafted World, with a knock out performance and heartful goodbye by the late Dame Judi Dench, who tragically drowned in a vat of yarn on set...all for the craft.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Metroid movie directed by Paul Verhoeven when

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Mike Judge is just a phone call away. I'll allow it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This is amazing and I am barely into it. :lol:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The Nintendo Store used to be the Pokemon Center, and was thus all Pokemon. Kinda makes sense that it's still mostly Pokemon.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Silver Falcon posted:

The Nintendo Store used to be the Pokemon Center, and was thus all Pokemon. Kinda makes sense that it's still mostly Pokemon.

The Pokemon Company's US HQ is local so we have pokemon vending machines lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Mainwaring posted:

I'm also disappointed that it seems increasingly obvious that the online multiplayer will be hugely limited.

I really hope it will have some form of ranked ladder but fully expect it to be completely random matchmaking (no ELO, nothing at all) with no punishment for disconnection whatsoever.

Also it badly needs to have a “play-by-mail” type option for online games but I’m not counting on it.