Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
I watermark all my (many, many) nudes with ebaumsworld.com for plausible deniability.

e: jeezy creezy what a snipe

My jeweler (F/40s) unwittingly engraved my mother's name on an engagement ring I (M/32) had made

quote:

This could almost be a Seinfeld episode.

A couple of weeks ago I (M/32) was shopping around for a place to design an engagement ring to propose to my girlfriend (F/30), and I found a local jeweler with very positive reviews. It just so happens that this company has the same name as my mother, let's call her Nancy. So this company is "Nancy Jewelers".

I get in touch with them and deal directly with the owner (Lady in her 40s), who's very professional and understands my requirements, finds me a great deal on an eye-clean diamond through her contacts, and sends me preliminary sketches of the setting for my approval. All good, and I'm pleased and excited to see the final product.

Yesterday I get an e-mail saying the ring is ready for collection with a couple of photos from the side and top. It looks exactly as I envisioned, except the jeweler has engraved "NANCY" on the inside of the finished product. So now I am expected to present my girlfriend with an engagement ring, which for all she'll know inexplicably has my mother's name engraved in it.

I mean, it's not really inexplicable, but I still don't think it would be appropriate to give her the ring as is. I know the owner of the company is quite proud of their work and will probably look at me sideways if I ask her to nix the branding. I can appreciate that this situation is amusing, and I'm quite an awkward person so I figured I would share this story and also ask for advice on how best to handle it gracefully.

Thank you.

tldr: I had an engagement ring made at a company who shares its name with my mother, and they wontedly engraved their company name on the inside of the band. Not sure how to broach the situation without offending someone.

Cooler heads prevail in the comments though:

quote:

Okay, first of all, "nancy" Is definitely ENGRAVED and not just a watermark? have you talked to the jeweler about this? Do all of her engagement rings have her name on them?

quote:

good catch.

a simple phone call could fix this

Bubblyblubber fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

The_Franz posted:

Actually, he can probably get off the hook if he gets a lawyer and shuts the gently caress up. They have no proof that he was personally driving the car at the time of the crash, and even if he admits to driving the vehicle, there is no proof that he was drunk at that time.

He's definitely not smart enough for that. The cops'll tell him they have cell phone records showing he was there, and he'll immediately start making up one ridiculous lie after another until he tangles himself up so much he accidentally confesses to DUI, insurance fraud, and embezzlement.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Moon Slayer posted:

Is it a crime to leave the scene of a car crash?

quote:

He had multiple empty alcohol bottles underneath his passenger and drivers seat. He’s planning to say they were from a ski trip??? Not really sure what his logic is there.

Well, duh, everyone knows that a ski trip is a hall pass to do crimes.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Yeah dude can probably skate the cops if they shut the gently caress up and she deletes that post, but he can't outwit the insurance company

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 10, 2023

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

SirSamVimes posted:

what the gently caress, a genuine acknowledgement of being wrong-headed and self-reflection on where such an attitude came from and why it is flawed, leading to a renewed relationship with better understanding. this is some sicko poo poo

I posted it mostly for the spoiler...

"I'm just not sure if my daughter who got into the NUMBER ONE University on THE PLANET for her major is going to be able to succeed like my two sons!"

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

wheatpuppy posted:

He's definitely not smart enough for that. The cops'll tell him they have cell phone records showing he was there, and he'll immediately start making up one ridiculous lie after another until he tangles himself up so much he accidentally confesses to DUI, insurance fraud, and embezzlement.

Everyone knows that confessing to the crime will throw the investigation into disorder and let you get away with it!

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

So regarding drunky car crasher, I say let him loving twist considering this line at the end of OP's post:

quote:

He also has 2 domestic assault charges from physically abusing me. Not sure if that would change anything either in terms of consequences for what happened. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

hopefully the abuser fucks it up spectacularly also WHY IS OP STILL WITH THIS CHARMING FELLOW

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

bucksmash posted:

So regarding drunky car crasher, I say let him loving twist considering this line at the end of OP's post:

hopefully the abuser fucks it up spectacularly also WHY IS OP STILL WITH THIS CHARMING FELLOW

Fairly insightful couple of comments from the Best of Legal Advice thread I got the OP from:

quote:

It's because when you are dealing with someone unstable, keeping them in your life, even at a distance, provides you a level of forewarning. If you have cut them out completely, they can do anything to you at any time. If you at least keep a line of communication open, you have the ability to know, and maybe sheer away, any bigger actions.

quote:

It's awful. You know they are crazy, abusive, and toxic. You know that talking to them feeds their obsession of you, but the fear of "what will they do if I cut them off" is intense.

That's why it takes so much to leave permanently, because you need to get yourself to a place where you feel safe from not knowing what they are going to do.

Also speculation that what OP is really asking is "how can I get this person thrown into prison so that I can disappear finally."

Sorry all, this one ended up being more of a bummer than I thought.

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 10, 2023

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Hughlander posted:

I posted it mostly for the spoiler...

"I'm just not sure if my daughter who got into the NUMBER ONE University on THE PLANET for her major is going to be able to succeed like my two sons!"
The part where he relents and his daughter immediately assumes he's playing a cruel prank on her is a pretty dark commentary on their relationship.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
If you tend to drink and drive or text while driving, you should keep a caged bee in your car that you can release when you get into an accident. "There was a bee" is widely accepted as a defense to fault accusations, and will even get you sympathy from victims and police if you can prove it.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Cerekk posted:

If you tend to drink and drive or text while driving, you should keep a caged bee in your car that you can release when you get into an accident. "There was a bee" is widely accepted as a defense to fault accusations, and will even get you sympathy from victims and police if you can prove it.

Plus, the cops can easily find it happily buzzing around the sea of beer cans in the back seat footwell.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Blue Moonlight posted:

Plus, the cops can easily find it happily buzzing around the sea of beer cans in the back seat footwell.

Those are not my beer cans! Do you see how much attention the bee is giving them? Clearly the bee brought them from home!

Sorry, I can't do a breathalyzer either because when the bee stung me some of the beer in its system bled into mine. That's just biology and science!

I'll be going now, have a good day officer!

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010
Probably just dirtbag anecdotes from the 60s/70s, but a friend's dad had the advice to always keep a case of beer the trunk. If you got in an accident because you were being a poo poo-head, you sit on the curb and drink those beers. If you were a good liar, you might only get arrested for public intoxication.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

BlancoNino posted:

Probably just dirtbag anecdotes from the 60s/70s, but a friend's dad had the advice to always keep a case of beer the trunk. If you got in an accident because you were being a poo poo-head, you sit on the curb and drink those beers. If you were a good liar, you might only get arrested for public intoxication.
I was on a drunk-driving jury case where the accused had done just that, but had driven home first. That way when the cops caught him, the blood test was meaningless. We didn't convict him, but it was because the crime he was arrested for wasn't technically a crime (he'd run into a redwood planter and dented it slightly). We absolutely knew he was a drunk driver, but the prosecution hadn't been able to prove it.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

BlancoNino posted:

Growing up, some guy down the street was drunk and crashed into a utility pole in our front yard. He went home and waited a bit before calling the police and played the "I had a drink to calm my nerves" bit, which worked as they couldn't prove he was drunk at the time of the accident.

Likewise, when my friend's dad and some other guy were drunk and crashed into a guard rail, they walked home from the highway and avoided a drunk driving charge because they played the "we started drinking when we got home" card, and there was no way to prove otherwise.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Hughlander posted:

AITA for choosing not to pay for my daughter's university fees despite paying for her brothers?

UPDATE:

A friend of a friend's family had a somewhat similar situation - both the parents were doctors, and each of their three sons got the extremely high exam scores to get them into medical school.

All three got to 3rd year and dropped out, one after another.
I have no idea what happened after that, but I assume they each got old enough to realise they were their own person, not an extension of mum and dad.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Bug Squash posted:

You know, I'm flipping on this one. That guy should not under any circumstances give advice to any person.

I'm pretty sure that op was not an American but if we look at statistics, at least in America it makes sense to be nice to a lot of people, because maybe you told a dude you liked his shirt, and that's the only reason he decided not to kill you on a shooting spree.

I remember a stupid play we did in high school, about high school kids of course, and in the play one of the students gave her teacher a love note. The teacher proceeded to proofread it and gave it back to the girl with the red marks all over it. Even as a dumb high schooler reading this play, I thought no teacher would ever be that cruel or stupid. The things we learn.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

The_Franz posted:

Actually, he can probably get off the hook if he gets a lawyer and shuts the gently caress up. They have no proof that he was personally driving the car at the time of the crash, and even if he admits to driving the vehicle, there is no proof that he was drunk at that time.

My rear end in a top hat cousin did this once. He crashed his Festiva (lol) because he was drinking and trying to open a can of chew at the same time. He nearly bit his tongue off in the crash, and grabbed all his documents and the license plate and walked about a half mile home. He didn't answer the door when the cops came by, and waited long enough so that he couldn't be charged with anything (because they didn't have any proof he was driving).

Assholes get away with poo poo because they keep their mouth shut.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cowslips Warren posted:

I remember a stupid play we did in high school, about high school kids of course, and in the play one of the students gave her teacher a love note. The teacher proceeded to proofread it and gave it back to the girl with the red marks all over it. Even as a dumb high schooler reading this play, I thought no teacher would ever be that cruel or stupid. The things we learn.

Uh

What would the correct behavior be, in that case? At least the teacher didn’t accept the letter and molest the kid? Trying to let a kid down by behaving more like a teacher seems like a half decent way to handle it.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Yeah I saw a case where the drunk driver was deaf and so he wouldn't take the breathalyzer test because "he didn't understand what the cops wanted". Got away with it four times before finally getting convicted on the fifth time. Prosecution really had it out for him because he was obviously drunk driving all the time and was refusing to get breathalyzed when he got caught.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

rotinaj posted:

Uh

What would the correct behavior be, in that case? At least the teacher didn’t accept the letter and molest the kid? Trying to let a kid down by behaving more like a teacher seems like a half decent way to handle it.

You say, "hey, look, this is really inappropriate. I know you're maturing and dealing with some confusing feelings but it's also important for you to know that there are lines and this is one of them. I will never have an interest in any of my students and you should not have an interest in any of your teachers. See you in class tomorrow" and leave

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Nocheez posted:

Assholes get away with poo poo because they keep their mouth shut.

Better than the alternative where you can be compelled to incriminate yourself.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

rotinaj posted:

Up the Down Staircase! Which was written in the '50s IIRC. The protagonist, who's had a mild crush on the guy teacher who wrote the note, thinks it's a nasty thing to do. He clearly needed to say 'no', but he did it in the meanest way possible.

It includes a high schooler being thrown out of school because "positive Wassermann". The Wassermann test was the first test for syphilis; it's been obsolete for awhile.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

AITA for not quitting my job for my best friends wedding ?

quote:

One of my best friends and I have known each other since I was 8 (I’m now 25), were also related (distant cousins). I live overseas 7000 miles away. I have around $1300 to spend each month after bills.

She’s getting married this summer and I was super excited. I am preparing for school the same month as her wedding so I have upcoming costs . My applications will be $1500 and my plane ticket to go to the wedding is $1000. She asked me to be a bridesmaid. I have work and my boss already said no. I was prepared to quit and go to my friends wedding.i would be giving up my full severance pay and renewal bonus by quitting early (this is over 1k$) . I value our friendship and money returns kinda thing.

Originally she said she would pay for our bridesmaid outfits. I said this was very kind (she’s known to be a bit stingy) .She figured why not and it’s the least she can do since everyone is travelling to come. She said that she had the money set aside for our dresses .The wedding is soon and we just found out the dresses haven’t been ordered.She messaged us recently asking if we can all pitch in $60 for the dresses and she would cover the other 1/2. Now I had no issue paying for my outfit but all of us were a bit taken back as she had said she would cover the costs and most of us have budgeted everything . I asked when she would need the money by as “ I am struggling right now” . My one friend reached out to her to state how it looks kinda lovely she took it back and she didn’t really get it but took that as oh I’ll cover your dress and (mine). She texted me “hey if you really can’t cover the $60 lmk, I’ll just pay for yours”. It feels unfair to the other bridesmaids and i just felt like if someones spending thousands to come then maybe I shouldn’t be asking for money if I already offered to pay. I had also asked about hair and makeup and was told that the stylist she picked is “very expensive” so we have to find our own which is ok. The bridesmaids didn’t get invites which is a whole different story but this just made me feel like right now there’s 0 reason for us to be bridesmaids. My friend suggested that if she wants us to pay for it that she pick a color theme and everyone can get their own outfits to recycle. She stated that then we wouldn’t be matching and there’s no point .

I asked off again for the wedding. If I can get off I will go. If I can’t tho I wont and no longer plan on quitting my job and attending no matter what like I had stated before . Am I the a for thinking that if my friend values finances over my gesture then I should match the energy and also not put my all into going ?

Again I want to make clear I wouldn’t have been mad had I known I’d be paying for the dress. She basically wants us to pay $170ish right away as now she’s behind and she would Venmo us $60. I don’t have that money on the spot for but I’m really stuck on the principal of this whole situation.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

hold up, school applications cost $1500?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Captain Hygiene posted:

:psyduck:

Don't even worry, that marriage isn't even going to last the trip

I mean, there's some possibility that they planned it this way for months and then waited until the last minute when everything was sold out to tell anyone because they knew they wanted a solo wedding without any stress from their insane families.

We only have one side of the story here and its from someone I clearly would not want at my wedding, so I'm erring on the side of "OP's brother is smarter and more well adjusted than OP". It sounds like the people getting married have a whole plan that took a lot of thought.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

hold up, school applications cost $1500?

welcome to 2023

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Lottery of Babylon posted:

In the comments OP explains that he believes in meritocracy and labels don't matter so only boring losers care about labels which means the kid shouldn't be thinking about being trans at all because that's a boring loser thing to do instead of bootstrapping.

I wish this was one of your old gimmick posts. :(

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

edogawa rando posted:

AITA for brushing off a student who confided in me something personal?

Huge, gaping rear end in a top hat idiot shithead. I hope they learn from this because loving hell.

Student: Hey, I'm really struggling with this thing, and I feel like you're someone safe I can confide in.
Teacher: lol no gently caress off.

Do better.

I would not act the way this teacher did, and I think you're right to be repulsed by how callous it is, but I can also understand why a teacher might be terrified to go anywhere near any personal topics with students, especially trans issues. There's fucktons of people, some of whom might be that kid's parents, who are just dying to go after anyone they can who supports trans people, especially in that setting specifically. This is not just the result of a single teacher's callous attitude. This is the result of an entire society's lovely treatment of trans people. That teacher didn't sign up for that - it's not part of their job, and they aren't trained to do that, and might have any inclination towards it outside of work anyway. Yes it's tragic that a kid would get met with that response. But responding with the kind of empathy and openness that that kid deserved could open that teacher up to an existential threat to not only their current job but to their entire career and life. It's a tough situation and while I do think that even with those things in mind the teacher's response could have been a LOT better than that, I still don't think it's right to demonize them for their response.

Trans people deserve to have support in society that makes it so they don't have to talk to a loving computer science teacher about what's going on with them. And teachers deserve to not be the ones put in that position. The whole situation is hosed up and tragic.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

teemolover42069 posted:

I would not act the way this teacher did, and I think you're right to be repulsed by how callous it is, but I can also understand why a teacher might be terrified to go anywhere near any personal topics with students, especially trans issues. There's fucktons of people, some of whom might be that kid's parents, who are just dying to go after anyone they can who supports trans people, especially in that setting specifically. This is not just the result of a single teacher's callous attitude. This is the result of an entire society's lovely treatment of trans people. That teacher didn't sign up for that - it's not part of their job, and they aren't trained to do that, and might have any inclination towards it outside of work anyway. Yes it's tragic that a kid would get met with that response. But responding with the kind of empathy and openness that that kid deserved could open that teacher up to an existential threat to not only their current job but to their entire career and life. It's a tough situation and while I do think that even with those things in mind the teacher's response could have been a LOT better than that, I still don't think it's right to demonize them for their response.

Trans people deserve to have support in society that makes it so they don't have to talk to a loving computer science teacher about what's going on with them. And teachers deserve to not be the ones put in that position. The whole situation is hosed up and tragic.

The OP lives in Iceland and denies the existence of trans people

Peg Sliderskew
Jan 4, 2010
170 minus 60 equals 60 in what country?

Mind you, in a place where they make you pay vast amounts to apply to college that maths could be correct.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Kit Walker posted:

You say, "hey, look, this is really inappropriate. I know you're maturing and dealing with some confusing feelings but it's also important for you to know that there are lines and this is one of them. I will never have an interest in any of my students and you should not have an interest in any of your teachers. See you in class tomorrow" and leave

This exactly. In elementary school, I found a folded up note shoved into my desk after lunch break, and it was one of those stupid do you like me, circle yes or no papers, with my classmates name signed to it. Now I didn't actually like the guy at all, he was a bully and was pretty much a jerk, but I had no idea if he had actually left the note, or if someone else had. So instead I wrote a third option, of let's talk about this at recess tomorrow. I left the note in his desk when no one else was around, and since he never talk to me about it later, I assume it was another bully trying to set up some kind of nasty prank.

If you're not sure about something, and your rejection or approval might be a catalyst, the best thing to do is admit you're not sure how to help the person asking you for help, but you will certainly help them find someone who can. Take a third option, the options are rarely ever super limited to two.

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

MrQwerty posted:

The OP lives in Iceland and denies the existence of trans people

oh poo poo well I missed that :staredog:

gently caress that guy then, I don't know how iceland is towards trans people but I'm guessing better than the US based on nothing but a gut feeling

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

teemolover42069 posted:

oh poo poo well I missed that :staredog:

gently caress that guy then, I don't know how iceland is towards trans people but I'm guessing better than the US based on nothing but a gut feeling

a lot more people live in the US than Iceland

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

teemolover42069 posted:

That teacher didn't sign up for that - it's not part of their job

This is the only part of your post I disagree with: yes they did, and yes it is, teachers are people in a position of authority over children, it is entirely within the expectations of the job that they will have things like this happen, and entirely reasonable to expect them to deal with it using compassion and tact.

In fact, these lovely don't-say-gay laws are entirely a reaction to that, and are an opportunity for fascists to hurt two groups they hate: LGBTQ+ and teachers.

I think they fact that the OP has been revealed as an enormous douche by their own admissions is pretty telling.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

MrQwerty posted:

a lot more people live in the US than Iceland

A lot more people live in, like, Wichita than Iceland. If the percentage of people identifying as trans in Iceland is similar to the US, then there are fewer than 2000 trans people in the entire country.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I feel like saying a teacher didn't 'sign up' for caring for children is like saying a nurse didn't sign up for caring for patients

It's literally the main part of the loving job wtf

Teaching is not a job where you can just teach and leave the rest 'at the office', it's a social caretaker role.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I hope people in the comments are arguing that Iceland doesn't exist.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Moon Slayer posted:

I hope people in the comments are arguing that Iceland doesn't exist.

C'mon, it's a country, unlike the city of Bielefeld, Germany, which does not exist.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I feel like saying a teacher didn't 'sign up' for caring for children is like saying a nurse didn't sign up for caring for patients

It's literally the main part of the loving job wtf

Teaching is not a job where you can just teach and leave the rest 'at the office', it's a social caretaker role.

it's literally why I used a history degree to go into working in factories rather than teaching, because I don't want to loving be in charge of or caring for children

dude's just a bad person all around and should leave education or get an advanced degree and teach adults

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Guy was probably too toxic for even any of the local tech firms and could only find a job teaching middle school.