Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brian Worms
May 29, 2007
Just let the poor app open? What's it doing that's freaking you out so badly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Can anyone recommend an Electron app or similar that acts as a one-stop hub for all your chat clients?

I used to use Franz and Rambox, but they both stopped being actively maintained (and the new Rambox requires an account for individual use and I don't particularly trust it at all); Station also stopped working. Currently my Discord account lives in a Firefox pinned tab but Firefox uses Cmd+B for its own purposes (so trying to bold text opens the Bookmarks sidebar).

The only thing I'd require is regular updates, a good privacy policy, and a keyboard shortcut for jumping to different 'tabs' in the app.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Self Hosting a matrix instance comes to mind but that very well be more than you’re looking for.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Warbird posted:

Self Hosting a matrix instance comes to mind but that very well be more than you’re looking for.

Whatever it is has to run Discord, Slack, and Facebook Messenger.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Ferdium is the open-source inheritor of Franz, and is actively maintained.

Originally, the open-source Franz fork was Ferdi, but the developer had some kind of midlife crisis and so Ferdium forked from it in order to have a version not run by the kind of pissbaby who makes Apartheid Karen look like a reasonable human being.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Quackles posted:

Whatever it is has to run Discord, Slack, and Facebook Messenger.

Iirc the discord integration is some IRC Jacky nonsense that may or may not actually work but I believe it can handle all that.

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under
The new studio max M1 is silly quick but won’t display images in quickview unless you select more than one image and check the show multiple icon, like a contact sheet. Then poo poo’s just dandy. Not limited to network shares afaik. Ventura up to date as well. So WTF is up with that do we think?

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

DigitalRaven posted:

in order to have a version not run by the kind of pissbaby who makes Apartheid Karen look like a reasonable human being.

this sounds like a story and a half and I beg you to elaborate

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Dear Apple, this is not helpful

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

DigitalRaven posted:

Ferdium is the open-source inheritor of Franz, and is actively maintained.

Thanks, it works great!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Tayter Swift posted:

Dear Apple, this is not helpful

You sure that's real? That looks like a fake to me.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I have no idea if it's real or not. I clicked cancel and my computer didn't melt so :shrug:

e: I haven't installed 13.3.1 yet though; I'll do that now but even if that's where the dialog comes from it should say so.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

What’s confusing about it?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I guess it's how there is no way of verifying how legit the dialog box is

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Last Chance posted:

What’s confusing about it?

I hadn’t authorized a software update for anything at the time. I was just working on some crap in Excel and — bam — update box out of nowhere.

Interestingly, while I didn’t take a screenshot the password box for when I updated Ventura was slightly different, with my username and a white dot on the lock. I still don’t know what the screenshotted dialog was for.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Oh yeah if you weren’t manually starting the update then that’d be jarring as hell. I’ve only seen it when I’ve purposefully started an update

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also it's very suspect in presentation, it's worded like a phishing email. If Apple had produced it I would submit a bug report on phrasing alone.

please click here to send 1BTC to wallet adsadsafadsdfsfdsaf for software update

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

macOS Monterey 12.6.5 and Big Sur 11.7.6 are out, presumably with the same security patches as Ventura 13.3.1.

Also, Safari 16.4.1 for Big Sur and Monterey.

Edit: Safari 16.4.1 is only needed for BS and MT, the patches for Ventura are in the system itself so it only gets Safari 16.4.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 11, 2023

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Between the naming scheme and frequency of major updates, keeping track of which one I have is kind of a pita for someone new to the ecosystem.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
Is there a way to fix incorrect GeoLocation by macOS?

To be clear, this isn't a macOS 'problem'. I have a somewhat usual internet connection, being supplied via a 10GBase-LR ethernet run straight-shot to the ISP's head-end.

Geolocation IP has never once correctly found me (in Somerville, Mass) with better granularity than 'in the United States'. My pool of public IPs are seemingly not tagged for my city or state; they don't reverse-resolve into some revealing .somerville-02144.ma.us sort of thing like the vast majority of home internet allocated addresses do.

The most common (75%+) guess is in Texas somewhere near Houston. (Based on what? I do not know. ISP has no big office or presence there. I've never been there.), though other guesses have included PA, Maryland, Newark NJ, Rural NY, Hartford...

Mostly I like the opt-in nature of having an unrevealing IP. And user accounts on websites (e.g. for local store inventory) do a good job of respecting the account over GeoIP. But it's a total pain at other times, beyond useless info about the weather in houston.

Some apps and websites treat Location Services as gospel, which leads to situations like this with no obvious solve:

Ultimately, I'd love my Mac Studio here to give my real location (manually specified) to apps that I allow location info to. Is that even... possible these days?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

admiraldennis posted:

To be clear, this isn't a macOS 'problem'. I have a somewhat usual internet connection, being supplied via a 10GBase-LR ethernet run straight-shot to the ISP's head-end.

Geolocation IP has never once correctly found me (in Somerville, Mass) with better granularity than 'in the United States'. My pool of public IPs are seemingly not tagged for my city or state; they don't reverse-resolve into some revealing .somerville-02144.ma.us sort of thing like the vast majority of home internet allocated addresses do.

The most common (75%+) guess is in Texas somewhere near Houston. (Based on what? I do not know. ISP has no big office or presence there. I've never been there.), though other guesses have included PA, Maryland, Newark NJ, Rural NY, Hartford...

Mostly I like the opt-in nature of having an unrevealing IP. And user accounts on websites (e.g. for local store inventory) do a good job of respecting the account over GeoIP. But it's a total pain at other times, beyond useless info about the weather in houston.

Some apps and websites treat Location Services as gospel, which leads to situations like this with no obvious solve:

Ultimately, I'd love my Mac Studio here to give my real location (manually specified) to apps that I allow location info to. Is that even... possible these days?

Is anything different when you enable (but not connect to) Wi-Fi? I vaguely remember that macOS/iOS can use nearby wifi networks to figure out location

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

admiraldennis posted:

Does apple maps, safari, google maps etc. find you in the correct location? If those work but speedtest does not, then they're doing something extra beyond what the OS is reporting.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Usually these databases will update themselves if you start doing stuff like using Google Maps on your phone while connected to Wi-Fi. If you just use a wired computer then there's nothing to give it a GPS reference of the location or information about nearby BSSIDs.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Entry #9153827345 in "Time Machine Sucks":

Want to copy your Time Machine backup to a second drive so you have an offline backup? Guess what, you can't. There is literally no way to do this under Ventura.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Entry #9153827345 in "Time Machine Sucks":

Want to copy your Time Machine backup to a second drive so you have an offline backup? Guess what, you can't. There is literally no way to do this under Ventura.

I think it's been that way for a while; the approved workflow IIRC is to go through the drive migration option and then from there you can add both drives as backups.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Yeah, that's troubling that Apple doesn't support cloning / copying Time Machine backups.

You used to be able to clone it fairly simply but Apple supposedly added all sorts of stuff to Time Machine structures that can't be cloned by SuperDuper / CCC / Apple's own utilities, etc.

You can transfer the backup to a new drive by doing the following (lifted from an Apple Discussions post:)

in General > Time Machine settings, disable automatic backup and add the new hard drive as Time Machine drive so that the drive is correctly formatted etc.

remove the drive from Time Machine again

copy over the Backups.backupdb folder (cp -R should not be used here because of the symlinks, instead I used cmd+C, option+cmd+shift+V for exact copy)

add the drive in Time Machine again

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Can you just not rsync/copy the files somewhere?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Binary Badger posted:

Yeah, that's troubling that Apple doesn't support cloning / copying Time Machine backups.

You used to be able to clone it fairly simply but Apple supposedly added all sorts of stuff to Time Machine structures that can't be cloned by SuperDuper / CCC / Apple's own utilities, etc.

You can transfer the backup to a new drive by doing the following (lifted from an Apple Discussions post:)

in General > Time Machine settings, disable automatic backup and add the new hard drive as Time Machine drive so that the drive is correctly formatted etc.

copy over the Backups.backupdb folder (cp -R should not be used here because of the symlinks, instead I used cmd+C, option+cmd+shift+V for exact copy)

So basically the drive needs to be blessed by that machine's TM process and then you can copy poo poo over?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Binary Badger posted:

What about dd?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Binary Badger posted:

This doesn't work anymore because of the way that Time Machine snapshotting / APFS works now.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

is there anyway to hide an icon on the top right menu bar that doesn't have a built-in way to do so? it's something that has to be running, it just annoys me

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

actionjackson posted:

is there anyway to hide an icon on the top right menu bar that doesn't have a built-in way to do so? it's something that has to be running, it just annoys me

Have you tried Hidden Bar? (https://apps.apple.com/us/app/hidden-bar/id1452453066?mt=12)

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

actionjackson posted:

I use Bartender

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

101 posted:

I use Bartender

Love Bartender - They have a "Show For Updates" feature that lets you create triggers to display specific menubar items only when their icon has changed.

For example...
Wifi menubar item is hidden when I'm connected to a wifi network
1password icon is shown when it needs to be unlocked
Time machine icon only being displayed when something is being backed up.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Thirding Bartender. It's got a really nice and sensible logic to it, on top of being very customizable as far as what you do and don't want to see (and when). This includes hiding things that are normally mandatory, and even hiding Bartender itself (but still leaving it fully accessible), as well as undoing some of of the layout… choices, of later OS versions.

franco
Jan 3, 2003
gently caress Outlook (the standalone desktop version not 365 or whatever).

It has been nagging for a while "WANT TO TRY THE NEW OUTLOOK?!!!??!!!" where you can just say no and there's a toggle at the top to be old/new. I've always said no because the new looked like a bunch of dogshit and I was receiving updates to the "old" version regularly and religiously doing them and all was fine so presumably it wasn't EOL yet.

Now it has gone from optional to "TRY IT loving NOW AND YOU HAVE NO OTHER OPTION TO GET OUT OF THESE DIALOGUES". So I did and it "imported" from my existing database.

9 hours later it has decided to finish importing and has eaten a bunch of folders. Nothing there. Also many things gone from other folders. I've kept backups in its big 'ol database format previously and it DOES have a manual import option but I'm scared it will make matters worse.

gently caress it gently caress IT gently caress IT.

And the amazing new layout IS dogshit with everything having to be a loving conversation rather than, y'know, emails And let's put icons next to every email that you still have left like you're on Android Messenger except it's loving pointless as it's just a circle with senders' initials because WHO THE gently caress HAS ADDED LITTLE PICTURES TO SENDERS?!

gently caress IT

DOUBLE gently caress IT

Thanks for attending my TED talk. I have turned off my monitor. I'd like a Big Mac and medium fries, please. Except lose part of that order..

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I think they got rid of the command + enter to send mail in new outlook at least. I had to go back to old outlook when I switched jobs and that has burned me at least twice now

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
You can look for Profiles in system preferences. They should explain what’s going on.

franco
Jan 3, 2003
I poked around a bit and they've put an option to revert to "old" under the Outlook menu rather than on the taskbar itself and suddenly it isn't dogshit AND has brought back all the emails that had "vanished". And moments after going back to old it is offering an update to the old. Christ knows what will happen now!

e: sorry for my ranting bitchery

franco fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Tippis posted:

Thirding Bartender. It's got a really nice and sensible logic to it, on top of being very customizable as far as what you do and don't want to see (and when). This includes hiding things that are normally mandatory, and even hiding Bartender itself (but still leaving it fully accessible), as well as undoing some of of the layout… choices, of later OS versions.

Which layout choices?