Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

go ding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
av checks out

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

So in this sorta position you should always be thinking b5. Let me try and explain why.

Right now white has a huge advantage in the centre. The key to this is controlling the centre by way of the d5 pawn, which holds by basically all of black's central pawns and pieces. Now, black can challenge the d5 pawn once by pushing e6, but the d5-pawn is supported super tight with the e4 and c4 pawns. So what do you do to loosen this control? Well, you start by going after the back pawns. b5 goes after c4, starting the process of undermining support of d5. This the basic pattern that's fundamental to the Benko Gambit.

So where do you go from here? How do you get your pawn back? Well, there's two main ways of going forwards.

(1) You loosen up the d5 pawn to the point that you can attack with with knights on f6 and b6 and a bishop on b7.
(2) You use the half-opened a- and b-files to attack. Maybe you win the a- and b-pawns from white. Maybe you open up your pieces and find an attack elsewhere. Maybe you end up pushing c5 to open more space.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I enjoyed this puzzle, still trying to use ones like this where I had some difficulty to understand how my own brain works looking at a chessboard and to improve on weaknesses.

I quickly and easily found all the moves in the solution except the very last one and thus took quite a while to finish the puzzle.

I had a blind spot for that move, because I kept getting my mind stuck on the fact that the second to last move Qh6+ is met by ..Rh7 and thinking that White is stuck after and down a rook and out of checks. The next move I kept looking for was a check along the dark square diagonal. I was aware from the beginning that any loss of momentum could result in Black salvaging at least a draw by perpetual.

Even though the final move seems very obvious my brain kind of filtered that 8th rank rook out of my mental vision, at least partially. I could see that it could capture White's queen if she tried to check along the dark square diagonal, but I somehow could not see that ..Rh7 now meant that rook on f8 was undefended and could be captured with mate.

This seems to be a theme with some of the puzzles I miss or struggle with, I fixate on the position as initially presented but fail to see that the sequence of moves changes things in a material way. That a piece that was pinned is no longer pinned, or that a piece that was NOT pinned IS now pinned for the final move, etc., or a defender moved away. At least recognizing that may help me look for those important changes in the position going forward.

Other huge blind spots include pawn moves in general, either to threaten promotion or sacrifice/check to move a piece or king onto or away from a critical square. I used to never see important pawn moves doing puzzles but I'm getting better about that over time.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Zwabu posted:

Not sure if this post is serious, but the huge majority of chess games are not played out to a checkmate. Most players do in fact resign if they are down a massive amount of material without some compensation like having a forced mate, and don't play out games that are hopelessly lost. It is true that it's possible for the winning player to blunder material back or win by an overlooked back rank mate, or blunder into a stalemate etc. so there's no harm done playing on but most players would just as soon move on to the next game.

Not only that, if you DO have a forced mate sequence most players will resign when they recognize this. They are generally not doing this to deny you the satisfaction of checkmating them but acknowledging that you won! This is a good thing!

It was a serious post. I can understand not wanting to grind it out when you've got no pieces left, but I've had some opponents resign early with the majority of their pieces sans a queen. I've had the odd game where I've lost my queen early on or I've been on the back foot and still managed to come out on top. It never occurs to me to resign when I've still got a chance.

But thank you for the explanation and it does make sense! It's just not something I've ever come across in playing competitive chess.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

It is genuinely frustrating that people at my level resign so quickly because I end up with no endgame practice whatsoever. Converting a material advantage in the endgame is a skill that needs training (and likewise, fighting a material disadvantage is also a skill).

If the win is trivial I'll resign but otherwise I'm playing it out. I'm nowhere near a high enough level that +3 or +5 is an automatic win.

Apsyrtes
May 17, 2004

You can practice by playing against an engine from the point where your opponent resigned. Best if you play against an engine that can play more human-like when dumbed down to your level.

I'd recommend Chess Dojo if you are in Android, Hiarcs on windows (that one costs $$$ though)

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

fisting by many posted:

It is genuinely frustrating that people at my level resign so quickly because I end up with no endgame practice whatsoever. Converting a material advantage in the endgame is a skill that needs training (and likewise, fighting a material disadvantage is also a skill).

If the win is trivial I'll resign but otherwise I'm playing it out. I'm nowhere near a high enough level that +3 or +5 is an automatic win.

Yeah, I just lost a game where I still managed to hang on for most of it with a massive numerical disadvantage. Despite knowing the loss was inevitable, it was fun to practise tactics in defending my king with the few pieces I retained and attacking when the opportunity presented itself.

Are the tournaments any better? I've only had an account for a few days so I'm still finding my way around.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
So yeah the World Championship will start in about 30 minutes or so. For casting, Chess.com stream will have Daniel Naroditsky, Robert Hess, David Howell, Anish Giri, Fabiano Caruana, and Tania Sachdev and apparently there's also going to be an official FIDE stream with Anand, Dubov, Krush.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

rollick posted:

av checks out

:tipshat:

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Given the start times I don’t expect to get to watch much of the title match. Just reviewed the first game and it looks like Ding got stretched pretty bad. He said after the game he was really not with it to start so we’ll see if he’s better going forwards and whether he keeps the same opening.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Even though I only play correspondence, I watch a lot of chess for entertainment, and no way am I getting up early for this. Rooting for Ding though.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
from a 5m blitz, black to play and win. computer says its the only move (i thought about this move for 2.9 seconds, so i didn't find it lol)

EDIT: it's not really a puzzle, it's just that black has to trade off the dark square bishop to solidify the active rook on d4 and stop the attack on the weak e pawns

i played Qb6, walking into a bishop pin and losing the exchange, but my opponent forgot about my bishop on h8 and blundered it back. then i got flagged :smith:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 9, 2023

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Hand Knit posted:

when white has a strong d5 pawn supported by e4 and c4, black should always be thinking of playing b5

thank you for this insight :cheers: i paraphrased it in my own words as best i could to help me think of it faster during my games.

also: i'm sending good vibes to the world championship players :pray: lets have a clean fight!

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Helianthus Annuus posted:

thank you for this insight :cheers: i paraphrased it in my own words as best i could to help me think of it faster during my games.

also: i'm sending good vibes to the world championship players :pray: lets have a clean fight!

Though probably unlikely, I would much prefer a dirty fight. Bring back yogurtgate.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

CubicalSucrose posted:

Though probably unlikely, I would much prefer a dirty fight. Bring back yogurtgate.

Or toiletgate for an even dirtier fight.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

stockfish says our hero is in trouble right now

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Well that was quick

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015
Hope Ding gets some rest. That game could be emotionally crushing.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
OK, I have a fair-play question: I'm at around 1k and am trying to play/learn QGD. I also play a few daily tournaments at once.

Anyway, last week someone in here said you could go a long way just knowing what exactly to do vs Englund, and I thought, "yeah, I should make a page of notes about that," but didn't get around to it yet. So today in a daily game, I get hit with the Englund.

Obviously in any game you can't put your moves into a computer. But does it seem fine to watch a video on white vs Englund while the game is ongoing? What if it's a Danya video with a Lichess study linked? Is THAT basically plugging in computer moves? Is it a silly questions since it's a <1000 tournament and it's not reasonable to expect people to just not learn relevant information for the entire course of a month-long game?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Huxley posted:

OK, I have a fair-play question: I'm at around 1k and am trying to play/learn QGD. I also play a few daily tournaments at once.

Anyway, last week someone in here said you could go a long way just knowing what exactly to do vs Englund, and I thought, "yeah, I should make a page of notes about that," but didn't get around to it yet. So today in a daily game, I get hit with the Englund.

Obviously in any game you can't put your moves into a computer. But does it seem fine to watch a video on white vs Englund while the game is ongoing? What if it's a Danya video with a Lichess study linked? Is THAT basically plugging in computer moves? Is it a silly questions since it's a <1000 tournament and it's not reasonable to expect people to just not learn relevant information for the entire course of a month-long game?

I assume you’re talking about chess dot com daily games. You are expressly permitted to use books, lessons, and videos during daily games.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Great, thanks! And I can't stress how much my play improved in daily games when I discovered the in-game self-analysis tool. Being able to play out 5-10 moves myself on the board (not having to just visualize it) I think helped me improve quite a bit.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
So will this match just confirm that Nepo is clearly ahead of everyone else when it comes to classical, but still has no chance of beating Magnus in a match?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

tanglewood1420 posted:

So will this match just confirm that Nepo is clearly ahead of everyone else when it comes to classical, but still has no chance of beating Magnus in a match?

Pretty much, yeah

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

im better than nepo i just dont want to bother studying it that much

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

that richard rapport is a bad influence, ding should have more sensible friends imo

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

fart simpson posted:

im better than nepo i just dont want to bother studying it that much

Nice to meet you Magnus

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

tanglewood1420 posted:

I think this is a fair conclusion to draw. But also a long live 1v1 classical match is such a different beast than anything we see following chess day to day, especially with the rise of online tourneys. That said, I feel like Magnus would easily be 2-0 in Nepo’s seat and maybe that’s proof enough

I hope Ding gets his poo poo together and makes this interesting (and if not, that Magnus is intrigued enough to rechallenge Nepo for the title) (lol)

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I think if Ding bends and not breaks, Ian still could break. It looks like Ding has basically no support from China, though. Doesn't seem like his countrymen helped him prep. Not even a Chinese translator at the very cringy media scrum. This could be really brutal.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Didn't Ding have a slow start at Candidates and came on like gangbusters at the end? Not that I expect that to happen here but at least there's a precedent?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Ding has had slow starts for the last few major tournaments. There's always been explanations to do with travel, quarantine and lack of support but I wonder if there's some other psychological quirk at play.

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:
What’s the story with his lack of support? I would have thought the Chinese state would be big on helping one of their players become world champion?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

idk, i live in china and i haven’t even seen him in the news at all. haven’t heard a single person talk about chess recently at all and ive brought it up with people and they had no idea a chinese player was currently in the world championship match. my wife said she saw a promoted video on a streaming site yesterday and that’s it. it’s weird

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i also live like 500 meters away from where hou yifan works and even the people in the chess club i go to have never heard of her lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i guess people around here just don’t care about chess :shrug:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

that’s the main reason i hope ding wins. maybe it could get people more interested in chess like what seems to have happened in india after anand won. im not sure russia needs another champion in that way

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Wasn't it pretty similar in the US when Caruana challenged Carlsen?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

idk i had already moved away from the us at that point. i remember seeing some stuff in the news but im not a normie in that im interested in chess

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

lol at the break content from the chess.com stream. what is this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
I have been enjoying occasionally being able to predict a sequence of moves in what is otherwise a game that is completely sailing over my head.