Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

Considering mentions that some of the numbers in the leaked data do not seem to line up with publicly available or stated data, and look like they've been intentionally altered, what are the odds that this leak is intentional disinformation to confuse the Russians?

The only instance of alteration I've seen concrete evidence for is the very sloppy hack-job of changing Ukrainian and Russian casualty figures and equipment losses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Hannibal Rex posted:

The only instance of alteration I've seen concrete evidence for is the very sloppy hack-job of changing Ukrainian and Russian casualty figures and equipment losses.

And on top of that, those alterations were disseminated on Russian Telegram channels.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Scrungus posted:

Honestly what I'm most curious about is how effective those old rear end hawk batteries are gonna be. Those things are contemporaneous with what, SA-6 ? And you'd figure given their ubiquity, the Russians would have a ton of Soviet era data WEZ, emission, etc data on them. I wonder if their radar could even pick up a shahed.

They’ve been upgraded a bit over time, although I think the last round of upgrades was a while back.

That said, they’re effective and they have a lot of kills over the years so, I expect that they will be pretty helpful when used with proper evaluation of where to place them.

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

Wait so what's the doctored one, the one that maximizes Russian losses, or minimizes Russian losses?
Do we even know?

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010
The doctored one is the one that minimises Russian casualties. Obviously I'm not going to post it in the forum, but it is an extremely obvious terrible photoshop job if you just look at it.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Bit of a gobshite that putin eh?

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Karate Bastard posted:

I'm de-lurking just to a say that I strongly agree.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Karate Bastard posted:

I strongly, strongly dislike him.

Dein Specht
Apr 5, 2023

Joke Miriam posted:

Wait so what's the doctored one, the one that maximizes Russian losses, or minimizes Russian losses?
Do we even know?

The one with the 6.000 lost russian vehicles is the "right" one, but might be several months old, since Oryx alone is over 10.000 now.

https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2022/02/attack-on-europe-documenting-equipment.html

Russian propaganda posters removed a 0. Lol

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Fearless posted:

Russia's manpower situation is going the be getting increasingly acute with the probable need to put more troops on the Finnish birder now that Finland has joined NATO. And by the sounds of things, the Kremlin might be starting to acknowledge that all those suspicious building fires and assassinations might actually be the work of domestic opposition groups. I dunno how much the Russians will have to spare if the Ukrainians hammer them again, and another big mobilization is going to take months to pull off.

Understood that Finland is adding a large NATO border, but why would Russia need to put more than a handful of additional troops there at this time? I understand not wanting to neglect their border with China too much but seems pointless to put significant ground troops on a spot where it is unlikely NATO would choose to declare war, when they are critically needed elsewhere.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Understood that Finland is adding a large NATO border, but why would Russia need to put more than a handful of additional troops there at this time? I understand not wanting to neglect their border with China too much but seems pointless to put significant ground troops on a spot where it is unlikely NATO would choose to declare war, when they are critically needed elsewhere.

Probably some easy posturing and 'immediate retaliations' against nato/Finland. And/or Putin and his kremlin cronies fully bought into how a voluntary defensive alliance is going to raze Moscow any day now and Something Must Be Done(probably more harassment and im-not-touching-you poo poo), even if there can't be that many soldiers comfortably freed up to sit on the border.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

RoyKeen posted:

I'm de-lurking.

This is what is known as "posting"

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
The finns should up their meme war, to demonstrate the urgent need to relocate troops away from Ukraine, to defend against the depravities that now threaten to pour in over this new western front. Kuha on lämmin, perkele kurkkumopo.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

It's worth noting some Bulgarians are already in the replies casting doubt on his assumption that Bulgaria can/will assist.
Bulgaria's internal politics are a mess especially wrt Russia/Ukraine, and I doubt Bulgaria would donate aid themselves, but they've been more than happy to sell stuff to the US et al to send to Ukraine. Bulgaria and Romania have large domestic arms industries and both still operate mostly Warsaw Pact systems and manufacture ammunition for those systems. They've been a hugely important suppliers of artillery ammunition in particular as they still are set up to manufacture Soviet 152mm and 122mm stuff in quantity. The biggest ammunition manufacturer in Bulgaria is state owned and as a fairly poor country, I think they'll continue to be happy to sell stuff to the US to give to Ukraine.

That being said, I don't think they can manufacture S-300 missiles, and I have no idea if they'd be willing to sell anymore of their existing stocks..

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

How does it work for countries being willing to send items like anti-air missiles while keeping enough for themselves? Like I understand countries that directly border Russia wouldn’t be able to deplete their stocks to the point where they couldn’t defend themselves, but couldn’t France or Spain send nearly all they have as they don’t border Russia and a theoretical air attack would have to go through most of NATO? Or is that probably already happening but countries don’t tend to share the state of their anti-air strength?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

How does it work for countries being willing to send items like anti-air missiles while keeping enough for themselves? Like I understand countries that directly border Russia wouldn’t be able to deplete their stocks to the point where they couldn’t defend themselves, but couldn’t France or Spain send nearly all they have as they don’t border Russia and a theoretical air attack would have to go through most of NATO? Or is that probably already happening but countries don’t tend to share the state of their anti-air strength?
I imagine a lot of countries were sending their stuff which was starting to go stale, which Ukraine was happy to have, and that the war has gone on long enough that a lot of that stuff has been consumed. I imagine the American and European MICs are tooling up to address this, and I remember there was sort of a swap thing going on - Country X would send their old MiG-29s to Ukraine, in exchange for the US giving them F-16s or something.

Wasn't the Army also like "Thank God, take this poo poo, we don't want it" about the prospect of sending some of our thousands of Abrams?

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Joke Miriam posted:

Do we even know?

We do know, because the photoshop was really shoddy. The numbers on the version with lower Russian losses are not correctly aligned.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Them's

fightin' words?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Finnish is Nonsense

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Finnish is viperless

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The tree's speak it for some reason.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I sincerely hope my meme speak didn't translate into actual Finnish. That's been known to conjure actual Arja Saijonmaa into existence.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Every european country could send everything, imo, it's not like russia is going to open a second front.

That said, it would be a political cost, look at all the "do we have enough stingers/javelins/at4s for ourselves!?!" articles that ran in countries that absolutely did not depend on them for safety.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Tunicate posted:

Finnish is viperless

:hmmyes:

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I'm visiting from the GBS thread to tell you all about the latest tank Russia is sending to the front, sure to inspire fear and awe in their enemies:

HonorableTB posted:

just look at it lol

look at this piece of poo poo lmao

it looks like a boonie hat and i cant unsee it

They restored an Object-279 from the Kubinka tank museum. They only ever made 3 of these lol.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Are they remembering to load gold ammo?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

How do you fix a middle tread on one of those?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

psydude posted:

How do you fix a middle tread on one of those?

Stinks of one of those "the design engineer has never had to change the oil in their life" bits, like the Subaru ring of fire.

Alternate answer: capture an Allied construction yard, then put an engineer inside an IFV.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
If you're wondering why the concrete underneath the tank is busted and spalled, it may interest you to know the Object-279 weighed 60 tons

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Is there any indication that thing is actually going to the front, or is it just something they restored a year two years ago?

Dein Specht
Apr 5, 2023

HonorableTB posted:

I'm visiting from the GBS thread to tell you all about the latest tank Russia is sending to the front, sure to inspire fear and awe in their enemies:

They restored an Object-279 from the Kubinka tank museum. They only ever made 3 of these lol.

Hold still, I'm coming for ya

https://twitter.com/Seveerity/status/1645445427653738496

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Arrath posted:

Stinks of one of those "the design engineer has never had to change the oil in their life" bits, like the Subaru ring of fire.

Alternate answer: capture an Allied construction yard, then put an engineer inside an IFV.

Oh, much like how apparently nobody in the MIC is left handed.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Do left-handed users get sprayed in the face by hot brass or is that accounted for in modern rifle designs? I don't know anything about ejection systems but that would really suck to find out a bunch of hot brass is now filling your shirt

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

HonorableTB posted:

Do left-handed users get sprayed in the face by hot brass or is that accounted for in modern rifle designs? I don't know anything about ejection systems but that would really suck to find out a bunch of hot brass is now filling your shirt

As long as it's not a bull pup it shouldn't be a big deal

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

HonorableTB posted:

Every weapons qual of my military career was marked by getting sprayed in the face by hot CLP from the ejection port of an M-16/M4. At least I wasn't a SAW gunner.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

:stare:

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1645353775081701376

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

HonorableTB posted:

There’s a little knob on M4’s that’s supposed to reflect brass away from the weapon, at a good enough angle to not get down between your shirt and your armor and leave a vaguely .226 brass-shaped burn on your chest.

Supposed to :gonk:

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Oh so that's why they keep track of the pins

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Nope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

I’ve heard of tanks being penetrated but is something else