Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Asehujiko posted:

Strategy games are probably the hardest games in which to implement granular difficulty to any meaningful degree because they are so deeply systems driven, second only to puzzle games and it's incredibly hard to even quantify what difficulty means for them. The big three RTS series all have bespoke map scripts for each map on each difficulty level and parametrizing those into user operable sliders would be an unenviable task for the designer(and QA staff!)

I would disagree. Simply add sliders for...

Player Unit Health
Enemy Unit Health
Player Unit Damage
Enemy Unit Damage
Enemy Unit Movement Speed
Player Resource Costs

Bazam, you now have someone with the option to lower their own resource costs to, say, 90% of max, just to give themselves that little edge they need to get past a tough mission without completely trivializing it.

All the actual game dev and complex level design stuff does not need touching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
My stance remains that if I find a game too hard to be enjoyable, I'll almost always either cheat or stop playing.

It's why the most recent WoW raids I ever did were from Warlords of Draenor. Those were the last ones it was practical to solo, since Ion apparently really did not like people soloing old raids to see them and collect the loot.

It also means that on the occasion that I do knuckle down and ultimately prevail fairly, I'm typically even more critical and judgmental than normal because of my feeling that the game got me to turn fun into work so there had better be a good payoff. Some games have had the reward I wanted (in whatever sense) and so I generally look fondly on them, some games have not and so I despise and resent them for what I feel was tricking me into working instead of having fun despite my misgivings.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I don't know if they're supposed to be weird afterlife ledges floating in the air or what, but I'm getting some real "big rear end demon perching on a mountain castle straight out of bald mountain in fantasia" vibes. What a sweet piece of art.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

It is theoretically plausible Vashj was sent to Revendreth first and then Maldraxxus, but unlikely.

s__herzog
Sep 13, 2022

Seeing how they sorted various mass murderers and war criminals in the afterlife was an important point for me in taking WoW lore less seriously. It's "what seems cool to a few writers in the moment" all the way down. The decision is completely arbitrary to take someone who did some hosed up stuff and put them in either Plague Valhalla, Vampire Purgatory, or Infinite Ultrahell based solely on what kind of story they want to tell for that character going forward, and completely divorced from any reasonable analysis of that character's actions prior to their afterlife assignment.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I feel like one possible explanation for Vashj ending up in Maldraxxus is that her heinous actions were arguably carried out with the intention of benefitting her people as a whole. As opposed to two other notable individuals we encounter in Revendreth, who may have started out with similar goals but eventually began committing atrocities for purely selfish reasons.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

quote:

Beyond the Dark Portal has felt to me like it expects flawless micro, reading the devs' mind, numerous reloads, or some or all of the above.
This is a bit of a weird statement to me, because the answer to me is obviously the last point to figure out the second, with micro being a baseline skill that is simply always expected of you.

I do not think any game of that era expected of you to be able to beat any mission except the most basic ones first try. A lot of them are set up explicitly as puzzles for you to solve, with weak points in the enemy's base left deliberately open for you to find, them relying on certain units above others so you can tailor your composition to counter theirs, and so on. You won't find that out on your first attempt, and you're not meant to.

I didn't play WC2, but I played Command and Conquer, the remaster of the first two to be precise, and that's exactly how they work. Especially in the first game, you often do not even have more resources than what's absolutely necessary to build up the exact army you need to beat the mission. That is true brutality, and I am convinced that the devs thought "well, they're just gonna reload after a failed push, so on the one hand this forces a complete restart if the army was built wrong from the get-go, countering the reload, or the push itself can require tight micro because you can erase execution gently caress-ups.

I don't know why you are treating reloads as an inexcusable thing here. They're baked into the idea of how the game should flow, both as complete resets of the mission once you realize your starting position is wrong, your first peasant should have survived, this oil field is a trap etc., and liberally in-mission to make micro errors less costly.

Obviously you're not having fun with the genre in general so I'm not saying "oh just spend at least three times as much on a single mission and you'll Get It", but to me, the missions don't seem badly designed or evil or whatever at all. It's how RTS design was done back then, and it's still very playable nowadays imo if you approach it with the mindset that's expected of you. In fact, I enjoy figuring out what the dev wanted me to do much more than a free-form "you got all tech unlocked go nuts" mission towards the endgame, because the design there is usually much looser.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I think thats a point to make,

It isn't reading the dev's mind, you were expected to learn what you did wrong, reload, and then do something different to win

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Simply Simon posted:

This is a bit of a weird statement to me, because the answer to me is obviously the last point to figure out the second, with micro being a baseline skill that is simply always expected of you.

I do not think any game of that era expected of you to be able to beat any mission except the most basic ones first try. A lot of them are set up explicitly as puzzles for you to solve, with weak points in the enemy's base left deliberately open for you to find, them relying on certain units above others so you can tailor your composition to counter theirs, and so on. You won't find that out on your first attempt, and you're not meant to.

I don't know why you are treating reloads as an inexcusable thing here. They're baked into the idea of how the game should flow, both as complete resets of the mission once you realize your starting position is wrong, your first peasant should have survived, this oil field is a trap etc., and liberally in-mission to make micro errors less costly.

I'm with Cythereal here, trial-and-error gameplay requiring full resets of entire missions/scenarios to figure out hidden bullshit and surprises is not good game design in my opinion. A good game should always be designed so anything can technically be completed on the first go just with the information you have and can gather on the first try.

And if it's how games were done back in the era? Yeah, sure. That's probably true. But we've learned since then that it's bad game design, it makes it understandable game design that it was of the era, but it still makes it bad.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

A good game should always be designed so anything can technically be completed on the first go just with the information you have and can gather on the first try.
I think that's very reductive and heavily dependent on genre. If we were talking about a platformer, I'd agree fully: you shouldn't fall in random holes and rely on memorization later on. However, consider a Roguelike: the entire idea of the genre is that you will fail again and again, until you get good enough to succeed.

Which is not my cup of tea. However, one of the best games that came out recently, Hades, builds on that concept and with meta-progression, story tied to deaths and lots of smart ideas makes an incredibly compelling package. (I realize it's rather a Roguelite).

Back to RTS, yes, you can design a mission like this to be beatable first try. That would require hints, highlights, safe scouting opportunities and failsafes. One of my favorite RTS, Red Alert 2, works heavily with these things to make it a little less arbitrary if you'll glean the necessary insight or not. The core idea, do the mission the intended way or have a much harder/impossible time, is still there though.

To meet you in the middle: would WC2 be a much better game if it had done things like flash in a line of Alleria going "hey, we should defend the eastern side of the base"? From a modern perspective, absolutely. Was the technology OR the game design philosophy there at the time? Probably not. Does the omission make the game BAD? That's the real question here.

Ultimately, one has to ask themselves: can I enjoy this? Do I need to change my mindset? Do I want to? Obviously, lots of people would say "no". But if you can answer these questions with "yes" for yourself, is it not a good game that is fun to play, for you?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PurpleXVI posted:

And if it's how games were done back in the era? Yeah, sure. That's probably true. But we've learned since then that it's bad game design, it makes it understandable game design that it was of the era, but it still makes it bad.

This is my view, and doubly true for remakes.

I lost one friend when a certain other game from the early 90s got a remake, and the remake chose to keep the most important female character wearing only a bikini. I feel that the remake should have changed that. My former friend in question argued that she should have stayed the same to be true to the original, and it's perfectly fine that this character prances around in a bikini in a video game made in 2022 because that's how things were in the early 90s.

The past should stay there, in my eyes. Just because it's how things were done then doesn't mean it's how they should be done now.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Personally I prefer my female RPG characters in wizard robes or form fitting plate mail. Bikinis and leather just don’t seem as sensible when I think about it.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I’m of the opinion of equal opportunity skimpiness, myself. If you’re going to make the ladies dress like that, the equivalent dudes should also dress like that.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Simply Simon posted:

Which is not my cup of tea. However, one of the best games that came out recently, Hades, builds on that concept and with meta-progression, story tied to deaths and lots of smart ideas makes an incredibly compelling package. (I realize it's rather a Roguelite).

Just gonna say that Hades is like 2.5 years old at this point, not sure if that still falls under the umbrella of 'recently'.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
The important thing about Hades is the progression happens regardless of you dying, therefore dying isn't so much a punishment as it is a mechanic. Critically, it makes losing fun. THATs good game design.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Keldulas posted:

I’m of the opinion of equal opportunity skimpiness, myself. If you’re going to make the ladies dress like that, the equivalent dudes should also dress like that.

My view is this, and for PCs that it be a thing you can do if you choose, not the default. I don't have an issue with it if it's something the player can opt into, less so if it's something you have to go out of your way to opt out of.

I almost exclusively play female characters in MMOs, probably to no one's surprise, and I tend to have both skimpy and reasonable transmogs I swap between as the mood strikes me.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

Just gonna say that Hades is like 2.5 years old at this point, not sure if that still falls under the umbrella of 'recently'.
We're in a thread for a game that's almost 30 years old

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

That's not Hades, though. The equation changes every time. You're being tasked with mastering mechanics, not with remembering to bring a Skull Key for the Skull Door on level 5 of the Skull Caverns in Castle Skull, because otherwise your progress is blocked and you have to fight the Skullomancer for his backup Skull Keyring... and then after that learning that there's a Skull Orc on the other side of the Skull Door so you're going to need to bring a Skull Mace to smash him with for the next run. That's without even getting into the metaprogression's effect on things.

In games with completely fixed stuff, trial-and-error gameplay is a test of your patience, not your mastery or understanding of anything.

As for Warcraft 2, the game clearly had support for invisible units. If players had some invisible scouts, so they could start off with some understanding of the lay of the land, and some advance warning on assaults, so they could actually relocate troops to respond to them, rather than just "time to reload and psychically predict that five minutes in the ogres are arriving here," a basic mechanic like that would've made a huge difference. Then being warned in advance is still a result of the player's action, of understanding the need to have scouts and early warning present, not just an NPC telling them what they need to do.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

I would disagree. Simply add sliders for...

Player Unit Health
Enemy Unit Health
Player Unit Damage
Enemy Unit Damage
Enemy Unit Movement Speed
Player Resource Costs

Bazam, you now have someone with the option to lower their own resource costs to, say, 90% of max, just to give themselves that little edge they need to get past a tough mission without completely trivializing it.

All the actual game dev and complex level design stuff does not need touching.
I don't think you have any real concept of just how much work and thought goes into making outwardly trivial parts of games because what you're proposing is anything but simple in any major strategy game I can think of and would absolutely require major revisions or even full redesigns on both technical and gameplay levels.

Just to pick something from your list at random and how much of a headache it is to actually implement;
Enemies moving at 0.x speed will mess up attack timings so all of those need to be evaluated to make sure there's no situations where two bases that are supposed to send alternating waves end up having arrivals at the same time because one is further away and delayed more. Or the initial attack wave that's supposed to be fought by the player's starting army right after the opening cutscene ends up delayed enough that the player has time to move out and start clearing outposts so the wave hits an undefended base. And perhaps there's an in-game cutscene that expects enemy units to be somewhere at a certain point in time and ends up softlocking the game when they aren't. Bazam indeed.

There's a reason that every strategy game that does numerical difficulty has a tiny handful of known good* presets and the major games with the budget to do so switch to custom scripting per difficulty/map. And it's not because they want to gatekeep people in the gaps between difficulty levels. The existing model of cheat codes that provide specific on-demand advantages to players is the best you're going to see for an RTS in the forseeable future.

*may or may not actually be any good on higher difficulties because high skill players for games that aren't even out yet aren't exactly common so small studios can end up with none on their QA staff.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Asehujiko posted:

I don't think you have any real concept of just how much work and thought goes into making outwardly trivial parts of games because what you're proposing is anything but simple in any major strategy game I can think of and would absolutely require major revisions or even full redesigns on both technical and gameplay levels.

Just to pick something from your list at random and how much of a headache it is to actually implement;
Enemies moving at 0.x speed will mess up attack timings so all of those need to be evaluated to make sure there's no situations where two bases that are supposed to send alternating waves end up having arrivals at the same time because one is further away and delayed more. Or the initial attack wave that's supposed to be fought by the player's starting army right after the opening cutscene ends up delayed enough that the player has time to move out and start clearing outposts so the wave hits an undefended base. And perhaps there's an in-game cutscene that expects enemy units to be somewhere at a certain point in time and ends up softlocking the game when they aren't. Bazam indeed.

There's a reason that every strategy game that does numerical difficulty has a tiny handful of known good* presets and the major games with the budget to do so switch to custom scripting per difficulty/map. And it's not because they want to gatekeep people in the gaps between difficulty levels. The existing model of cheat codes that provide specific on-demand advantages to players is the best you're going to see for an RTS in the forseeable future.

*may or may not actually be any good on higher difficulties because high skill players for games that aren't even out yet aren't exactly common so small studios can end up with none on their QA staff.

For what it's worth, I've seen RTS games with exactly that kind of suggested modular difficulty. When you go into custom difficulty settings for one of them, the game flat out warns you that your choices may result in unexpected consequences so you take matters into your own hands playing with them.

And you know what? Yes I've had the occasional cutscene glitch using custom settings, but I don't mind because the game is letting me play how I want in the fashion I enjoy.

I don't crave a completely polished experience from the games I play. I crave an enjoyable experience. And to be blunt, many of the games I consider to be legitimately great in terms of how much I like and enjoy them have more than a little jank and bugginess to them.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Cythereal posted:

Beyond the Dark Portal has felt to me like it expects flawless micro, reading the devs' mind, numerous reloads, or some or all of the above.

Sounds like my experience with Starcraft: Mass Recall except Starcraft is much better game than BtDP so I was willing to endure constant save&load.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Asehujiko posted:

There is one very granular change you can comfortably make and indeed games in this era did offer (including WC2 I think?) - simulation speed. By universally slowing down everything you don't impact any of the balance, but you do give the player much more time to think about their plans and react to things happening. It's also a very straightforward choice between a more difficult game and a more boring one, since you're also waiting longer for everything to happen, which isn't ideal but is a very reasonable concession to make.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

There is one very granular change you can comfortably make and indeed games in this era did offer (including WC2 I think?) - simulation speed. By universally slowing down everything you don't impact any of the balance, but you do give the player much more time to think about their plans and react to things happening. It's also a very straightforward choice between a more difficult game and a more boring one, since you're also waiting longer for everything to happen, which isn't ideal but is a very reasonable concession to make.
Overall game speed settings are fairly standard across the genre for everything that isn't MP-only(and even then it can usually be set in lobby), it's slowing down a specific set of units that's a massive can of worms from a design perspective.

Running the whole game in slow motion does indeed run into the problem of it making everything but micro-intensive fights incredibly boring. IIRC it was one of the Gemcraft devblogs where it was mentioned that the players that shared their metrics had played about 70% of the game on normal, 30% on fast forward and <1% on slow motion.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I would enjoy rts more if I could pause time

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Warcraft 2 has speed settings, yeah.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I would enjoy rts more if I could pause time
Yes, real time with active pause is the best solution, which is why first Dawn of War and Company of Heroes are peak RTS.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Also I should note that command and conquer actually did have an easy mode: what's more is that you can actually change the settings granularly with notepad if that's not enough.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

NewMars posted:

Also I should note that command and conquer actually did have an easy mode: what's more is that you can actually change the settings granularly with notepad if that's not enough.

Plaintext configuration files, save files, unit stat files, etc. are the work of divinely blessed and inspired developers.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

yeah the easy mode was called mass tanks

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

PurpleXVI posted:

Plaintext configuration files, save files, unit stat files, etc. are the work of divinely blessed and inspired developers.

Rules.txt was amazing and my first brush with modding as a kid. Why yes, I would like my cruisers to fire fireballs, or dogs. I would like my riflemen to do negative damage and thus heal each other (which was hilarious in mission when an AI controlled pack of riflemen would just stand there and heal each other while you lobbed rockets or grenades or whatever at them).

Paradox games are great about this too - being able to go in and modify any of the text files is wonderful, especially since all of the relevant information is there in plaintext if you're willing to dive through the code long enough.

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013

Simply Simon posted:

I didn't play WC2, but I played Command and Conquer, the remaster of the first two to be precise, and that's exactly how they work. Especially in the first game, you often do not even have more resources than what's absolutely necessary to build up the exact army you need to beat the mission. That is true brutality, and I am convinced that the devs thought "well, they're just gonna reload after a failed push, so on the one hand this forces a complete restart if the army was built wrong from the get-go, countering the reload, or the push itself can require tight micro because you can erase execution gently caress-ups.

My experience of the first one in 1995 was that once you got past the first five minutes and managed to get a decently defended base set up, there wasn't much threat left, and even if the gap between that and finishing the level might be huge, you could often just attrite out a win. And the nature of Tiberium spread meant that you could rarely be completely out of resources the same way that you might be in WC. Those first five minutes, though, those could take a few tries. Although I did have a personal bad habit of reloading every time a push resulted in any kind of loss, even if it was a success overall. I don't like it when my virtual men die... I still do that. (I do acknowledge, though, that the remasters changed some of the AI behaviour to 'intended', even if it made things much harder. GDI airstrikes in particular were changed from pathetic to hideously lethal.)

berryjon posted:

Are we talking Command and Conquer: Covert Ops levels of puzzle solving here?

Nothing's harder than the first five minutes of a Covert Ops mission. I may have been able to do all the original missions, but I only ever managed two or three of those back in the day.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I liked Revendreth a lot, but it was one of those things where Aesthetically they were pleasing, and their story was engaging ish, but the gameplay loop and removal of a lot of conveniences made it so I just stopped caring and stopped engaging.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I remember playing Command&Conquer as a kid I'd abuse the AI thing where it never destroyed sandbags so you could just wall the enemy into their base while you build up a massive force

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!

Qwertycoatl posted:

I remember playing Command&Conquer as a kid I'd abuse the AI thing where it never destroyed sandbags so you could just wall the enemy into their base while you build up a massive force

Oh lord, was that a thing?! I feel like I played those games all wrong now.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I think it only worked in C&C95, by Red Alert they had built the AI a bit better.

You could still do weird things to throw off where/how the AI would throw its super weapons though.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

stryth posted:

Oh lord, was that a thing?! I feel like I played those games all wrong now.
I mean, that was clearly not developer intended. One could argue for ages if adhering to that or making up your own way to play is "better"; imo do what's most fun, but I personally get by far the most joy out of experiencing the game as designed, because it's fun to me to find out The Way It's Meant To Be Played. Obviously this perspective is not shared by everyone, but that's exactly why I want to discuss WC2 on its own merits and not dismiss it as "old".

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Weird thing about outlining the next lore update is, I keep hitting points and having thoughts that this could have been a really cool thing, if it had been thought through and executed well.

If.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Cythereal posted:

this could have been a really cool thing, if it had been thought through and executed well.
Sounds like significant part of Blizzard writing.

(other part is "what if woman but CORRUPTED")

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Szarrukin posted:

Sounds like significant part of Blizzard writing.

(other part is "what if woman but CORRUPTED")

To be fair, the driving force behind almost every single plot point in Warcraft is "and then the person got corrupted." Blizzard has a poo poo track record with women in virtually every regard, but at least the corruption was generally equal-opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
And to be fair, people have a tendency to corrupt!