Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Stereotype posted:

this guy's car was hit by a grain silo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea8DgOA-mr0

"Thanks mom and dad for saving my rear end"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Good time to repost Skip Talbot's excellent "Safety Lessons From El Reno" video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJOjjzHUwsk

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Rubellavator posted:

quote:

I was not good and I did not have time.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Stereotype posted:

this guy's car was hit by a grain silo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea8DgOA-mr0

Next time use a tarp

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Winter. In a Mediterranean climate.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

one of the wettest we've seen, from the standpoint of water

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Chard posted:

one of the wettest we've seen, from the standpoint of water

7.8/10

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

uber_stoat posted:

at least it wasn't a tesla. he would have been rent asunder.

and then hit by a tornado

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

:tif:, but water instead of fire.

Love opening the Environment Canada local weather page and seeing not one but two warnings up. Rain up to 150mm over the next couple of days and winds pushing 50 knots. I think I will postpone working in the woods for a few days.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Platystemon posted:

Winter. In a Mediterranean climate.

can i see it?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Hexigrammus posted:

:tif:, but water instead of fire.

Love opening the Environment Canada local weather page and seeing not one but two warnings up. Rain up to 150mm over the next couple of days and winds pushing 50 knots. I think I will postpone working in the woods for a few days.

too many more knots and u might never work in the woods again because theyll be reduced to logs

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
I have to remove some danger trees so log on is what I'm trying to avoid.

I'm feeling old this morning - I remember when atmospheric river was a term only a few weather nerds were aware of. 2014 was an unusually long dry fall with no rain until the end of November - not your typical Wet Coast fall. We had a horse die unexpectedly so when the storm hit I was trying to get him buried. Nothing makes you question your life choices like winching a dead horse into the bottom of a deep muddy hole in the dark before it floods out while the heavens are trying to create The Flood V2.0.

The next morning I tried to get the machine back to the road and discovered I had to drive it through a brand new shallow lake we'd never seen before. Almost got to the exit point when the machine got stuck and made its own mudwallow, tried to back it out with the bucket and slewed sideways so I ended up trapped against a stump. Put in a call to a 5 ton wrecker with a looonnnggg cable and spent the next few hours sweating as the water level rose on the machine. Fortunately the wrecker arrived before the engine flooded.

Two years later atmospheric river has entered common usage and we're using the term "monsoon" less. The winters have continued to be unusually dry with these brief episodes of intense rain. We get up one morning in late March during an atmospheric river and the dog comes up from the basement leaving wet footprints everywhere. :stare: When we built the house code required one outlet on the perimeter drains, we put in two. As usual I'm paranoid but not paranoid enough; tree roots got into one drain and the other was flowing like a firehose but couldn't keep up -> flooded basement.

My neighbour was excavating at the same time and we were both finding a layer of dry, dusty soil about 3/4 of a meter down. Sure, why not? Dust is exactly what you'd expect to find when digging out your flooded basement at the end of winter. The deluge was raising the water table enough to flood our basement but not soaking into the areas where the trees needed it. Over the next few years the summer droughts kept expanding and the entire island started losing large numbers of cedar and Grand fir. Grand fir is somewhat adapted to dry sites so this is not a good sign.

tl;dr: Atmospheric rivers suck. Climate change sucks.

Tune in during July when I'll be bitching about forest fires. :corsair:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

we are hitting our first 60, 70, and probably 80 of the year all within one week lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

tv weather people used to just say "pineapple express" or "it's like a firehose of precipitation"

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Looks like we are getting our first heat dome of the year on monday fellow arizonians

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

hifi posted:

Looks like we are getting our first heat dome of the year on monday fellow arizonians

so loving glad I don't live near Phoenix anymore lol

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

hifi posted:

Spring?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I'm visiting Phoenix at the end of April, what Temps should I expect

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

ex post facho posted:

according to google u should expect surface temperatures of 5,772 kelvin

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

ex post facho posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBzVPXr8SNY&t=81s

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ex post facho posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXuc7SAyk2s

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

ex post facho posted:

90s in the afternoon, 60s at night

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

ex post facho posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGihB0gxgko&t=325s

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Does anyone else start hearing the Sim City disaster music whenever they see a tornado video?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

ex post facho posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PYt0SDnrBE

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

under 110 is fine. i played little league games in that type of weather

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

hifi posted:

and look at you now, a star poster on something awful dot com

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

hifi posted:

I got heat migraines for a whole fuckin summer when i played softball and never did it again lmao. They were really not aggressive about reminding us to hydrate. at all.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sound
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rswvdtb7NK1r0uzl6.mp4

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

at one point i thought "we aren't going to see the really crazy climate calamities because people will be too busy panicking to record the video on their phone" and boy was I wrong!

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
man this is crazy we could go viral

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

lmao the leaf in the middle of the frame at the start had me thinking someone was surfing the flood

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
i thought the same thing

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Stereotype posted:

at one point i thought "we aren't going to see the really crazy climate calamities because people will be too busy panicking to record the video on their phone" and boy was I wrong!

No matter how bad it gets, take solace in knowing that humanity will post through it.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

A Bakers Cousin posted:

i thought the same thing

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

A Bakers Cousin posted:

i thought the same thing

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010

Zoomers are adapting to the climate apocalypse like they're growing up in Stalker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

lmao