Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Cooked Auto posted:

In other news, the Minecraft movie has apparently been pushed into 2025.
It has been in development since 2014. :v:

Remember when Mac was attached to direct it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

well why not posted:

in that movie, eric bana jumps his horse in to a gorge. he leaps of it to clear a gap. he ghost rides that horse. it is also one of the few double jumps in cinema.
The formal name for this is "ditching the Yoshi".

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

The Last Duel and Dunc 1 also came out the same month and it was glorious.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
If napoleon isn't 5 hours long and requires 3 screens for the epic battle then it fails miserably

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Napoleon was truly the joker of his time

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Director and world record holder for longest TKO Uwe Boll's comeback movie has been derailed after a producer brought a loaded gun to the set and kicked off a strike.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:

Alan Smithee posted:

Napoleon was truly the joker of his time

Jack Nicholson would have played both if Kubrick got to make his Napoleon movie.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Lowtax trying to get revenge from the grave

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

I've never heard anyone say one good thing about that King Arthur movie. I thought the trailer looked pretty cool though, is it at least worth it for the visuals? That shot of Jude Law making his army kneel as he waves his hand over them has weirdly stuck with me.

It can't decide what it is. Arthur spends most of the movie as a street fighting cockney urchin character (which is cool since it's the part of the Arthur story that's usually skipped, his time before being crowned) and also leans on the idea that he'd be a good king because he understands the underclass. He's got connections through the city and specifically is good at conflic resolution by finding common ground. But also every resolution comes from him having magic royal blood and thus superpowers which allows him to win the Dark Souls boss fight final duel and also summon a giant snake to kill a smal army of henchmen.

It's pretty entertaining but there's a reason it was forgotten five minutes after it came out. It was less coherent than the gritty robin hood reboot that came out soon after.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, I enjoyed both of the movies that are in the Guy Ritchie King Arthur, but as you say they work at cross-purposes to each other.

If you're up for watching a movie because it's got some cool visuals and individual good scenes, even if it doesn't come together as a whole, I do think it's worth checking out.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

MacheteZombie posted:

If napoleon isn't 5 hours long and requires 3 screens for the epic battle then it fails miserably

Speaking of Mosfilm has uploaded 4K versions of Sergei Bondarchuk's War and Peace quartet

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 7, 2023

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

I rewatched that recently and holy poo poo that is a gorgeous set of films. It's like nothing else. Such a great marriage of old school big movie splendour with experimental, impressionist approaches.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
https://mobile.twitter.com/MuteNeighbor/status/1644502056626192384

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Reportedly, Taika Waititi's Star Wars movie isn't cancelled, he just isn't going to start working on it until he finishes his live action Akira adaptation.

...Which might also be taken as his Star Wars movie will never happen.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Chairman Capone posted:

Taika Waititi's Star Wars movie
his live action Akira adaptation

Not following news is wild when I get multiple pieces of info at once lol

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Taika Waititi's upcoming sci-fi projects:

Star Wars
Akira
The Incal
Flash Gordon

I'd be extremely surprised if more than one of these comes out

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

precision posted:

Not following news is wild when I get multiple pieces of info at once lol

The Akira movie is one of those things that's I think in its third decade of development hell. Leonardo DiCaprio is the one who was really pushing it for a long time through his production company (and I think used to want to play Kaneda years ago). I think at one point it almost got made by the writer and director of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, too.

AngryBooch posted:

Taika Waititi's upcoming sci-fi projects:

Star Wars
Akira
The Incal
Flash Gordon

I'd be extremely surprised if more than one of these comes out

I can kind of see his style working for all of those... except Akira. That just really does not seem like a good fit at all.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

Reportedly, Taika Waititi's Star Wars movie isn't cancelled, he just isn't going to start working on it until he finishes his live action Akira adaptation.

...Which might also be taken as his Star Wars movie will never happen.

I’m sure we’ll see it after Akira, and First Goal Wins, and We’re Wolves, and What We Do in the Shadows 2, Flash Gordon, The Incal, and his Time Bandits remake.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I hope he does Flash. He would keep the Queen soundtrack

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Isn't WWDITS 2 just the TV series? Which is running simultaneously with another incredibly successful Taika series? Busy guy.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

mycot posted:

Isn't WWDITS 2 just the TV series? Which is running simultaneously with another incredibly successful Taika series? Busy guy.

No, he has also announced a sequel to the movie.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

precision posted:

I hope he does Flash. He would keep the Queen soundtrack

Would be the only good part of it

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

mycot posted:

He hasn’t been involved in the WWDITS show (outside of his prerecorded cameos) since the first season. Same with Jemaine Clement after the second season.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Yeah that show is a completely different show at this point. It's moved from situational comedy to character heartwarming hijinks.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Season 3 was a huge drop in quality and season 4 followed suit for as much of it as I could manage to watch. I'm definitely done with it unless I hear it completely reversed course. A shame, the first two seasons were the funniest thing I'd seen on TV in ages.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Wtf an Incal movie by Taika will not work.

...well maybe he'll keep John Difool a complete piece of poo poo.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

feedmyleg posted:

Season 3 was a huge drop in quality and season 4 followed suit for as much of it as I could manage to watch. I'm definitely done with it unless I hear it completely reversed course. A shame, the first two seasons were the funniest thing I'd seen on TV in ages.

Season 4 started very weak imo and I almost bailed but also has some genuine bangers as it goes on.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

The Akira movie is one of those things that's I think in its third decade of development hell. Leonardo DiCaprio is the one who was really pushing it for a long time through his production company (and I think used to want to play Kaneda years ago). I think at one point it almost got made by the writer and director of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, too.

I can kind of see his style working for all of those... except Akira. That just really does not seem like a good fit at all.

Akira has to be a TV show to work.

And animated.

And done by the same folks who did the original Ghost in the machine

And time travel us all to the 90s

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It would be nice to get a full adaptation of Akira since the anime movie is a very truncated version.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

Season 4 started very weak imo and I almost bailed but also has some genuine bangers as it goes on.

The episode making fun of home renovation shows was great, although I thought most of the season was fine. Except for whatever the plan was for the Colin Robinson plot seemingly evaporating.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

The episode making fun of home renovation shows was great, although I thought most of the season was fine. Except for whatever the plan was for the Colin Robinson plot seemingly evaporating.

The episode where they try to get baby Colin into private school is an all-timer.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S1oRHIpV3w
Rally Road Racers starring Jimmy O. Yang, J.K. Simmons, Chloe Bennet, Lisa Lu, Sharon Horgan, Catherine Tate, and John Cleese

quote:

Zhi, a rookie race car driver, gets the opportunity to compete against the reigning champion of the rally car circuit. With help from a former driver-turned-mechanic, Zhi must overcome treacherous terrain, rival racers, and unexpected obstacles to prove he has what it takes to be the next great racer.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

muscles like this! posted:

It would be nice to get a full adaptation of Akira since the anime movie is a very truncated version.

There was some talk that Otomo was working with Sunrise to make a TV adaptation that would cover all of the manga. But that was back in 2019, I have no clue what’s going on with it currently.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I can't remember much about steam boy other than it being disappointing

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Tars Tarkas posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S1oRHIpV3w
Rally Road Racers starring Jimmy O. Yang, J.K. Simmons, Chloe Bennet, Lisa Lu, Sharon Horgan, Catherine Tate, and John Cleese
Didn't Cleese already do this in live action? (Rat Race.)

Also, I'm bewildered that nobody has ever gone "Hey, Wacky Races exists as a thing with name recognition, so why don't we just do... Wacky Races?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vkp8rM_SkH8

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Saw 'Rally' and briefly made me think they might be making a Group B movie before clicking the link, now I'm disappointed. Although honestly Tom Cruise is probably the only one insane enough who could do Group B justice.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Payndz posted:

Didn't Cleese already do this in live action? (Rat Race.)

Also, I'm bewildered that nobody has ever gone "Hey, Wacky Races exists as a thing with name recognition, so why don't we just do... Wacky Races?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vkp8rM_SkH8

Speed Racer was too awesome for the box office, so we're probably never getting a live-action adaptation of a racing cartoon again

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Aww, gee, so sad that a throwaway animated movie for kids didn’t cynically stick the name of an inexpensive boomer nostalgia license to their pointless crap.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

well why not posted:

in that movie, eric bana jumps his horse in to a gorge. he leaps of it to clear a gap. he ghost rides that horse. it is also one of the few double jumps in cinema.

Does it show what happens to the horse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

DeimosRising posted:

Does it show what happens to the horse

The horse flew back to its nest, duh.