Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Freon isn't free :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
"Miami and New Orleans face greater sea-level threat than already feared"
https://twitter.com/ProfBillMcGuire/status/1645509636970127364
Wow, it's yet again worse than we thought. Glad anyone paying attention is branded a doomer

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
starting my kitchen on fire poses no health or safety risks because i always hang out in my bedroom

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

ping

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
https://twitter.com/JordanChariton/status/1645548218074136579?s=20

can't even clean up the previous industrial accidents without creating new industrial accidents

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Stereotype posted:

can't even clean up the previous industrial accidents without creating new industrial accidents

jfc

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Stereotype posted:

ffs i just pinged

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

4d3d3d posted:

Wow, it's yet again worse than we thought. Glad anyone paying attention is branded a doomer

Another book recommendation here for Disposable City: Miami's Future on the Shores of Climate Catastrophe

gave me a little crack ping when it covers that miami has already seen nearly a foot of sea rise since they started keeping records.

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

silicone thrills posted:

Another book recommendation here for Disposable City: Miami's Future on the Shores of Climate Catastrophe

gave me a little crack ping when it covers that miami has already seen nearly a foot of sea rise since they started keeping records.

The End of Ice has a great chapter about this. Certain people in local government know what's going on and that their entire city is going to need to be raised or abandoned very soon but can't do anything about it (or won't)

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

a strange fowl posted:

ffs i just pinged

MULTI-CRACK PINGING!!

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

thread slapping hard over the past day lol

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Stereotype posted:

some real Kevin spilling the chili vibes here

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

4d3d3d posted:

"Time to sell up before no-one wants to buy."

that will absolutely not happen

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

in the eyes of the real estate cabal that runs a typical major city with rampant property speculation it is better to force everyone to stay put and sue fema for full value payoffs to luxury condo owners than to start an early retreat that will save lives at the expense of real estate prices cratering with no one to sue or lobby for recoup

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

a strange fowl posted:

ffs i just pinged

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Laterite posted:

"Time to sell up before no-one wants to buy."

that will absolutely not happen

Nah it will, you just have to hit rock bottom where these threatened homes are going to normal people for something approaching affordable prices. You need to get the correct people holding the bags before you're allowed to let the bags lose all their value.

You're going to start hearing about great investing/purchasing opportunities in real estate is areas that seem amazing sooner or later, and that's when you know it's coming down.

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

biceps crimes posted:

thread slapping hard over the past day lol

the countdown to the spiciness of Hot Niño summer is almost at an end :coal:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Stereotype posted:

Where were they planning to put it???

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Real hurthling! posted:

in the eyes of the real estate cabal that runs a typical major city with rampant property speculation it is better to force everyone to stay put and sue fema for full value payoffs to luxury condo owners than to start an early retreat that will save lives at the expense of real estate prices cratering with no one to sue or lobby for recoup

The price will keep going up on those properties on speculation over the inevitable government buyouts and associated lawsuits alone.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Chaos is the only true god, and our efforts to conquer it are the ultimate sacrilege. Our success is our downfall.

There will be no mercy, or forgiveness, such things are a stranger to the natural state.

Happily, inebriation fornication and communal auditory sensation are available to most.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lol fake eggs

Shoppers experience egg-spensive Easter as food prices continue to rise posted:

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – The National Retail Federation predicts consumers will spend $24 billion on Easter celebrations this year, and rising food costs are a huge part of that expense.
✂️
Ronald Randolph said his family was hosting Easter dinner this year. He said he spent $15 more this year for a ham.

To balance out all the spending, the family of seven opted for plastic eggs for their egg hunt. Buying candy is also popular.

“The real ones were too expensive to buy. You could buy 120 eggs already stuffed for $30,” he said.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

mawarannahr posted:

lol fake eggs

Those have been a thing for decades though.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

FFT posted:

Where were they planning to put it???

There are a couple of toxic waste dumps in that area

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

McCracAttack posted:

was it always a cost thing ?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

McCracAttack posted:

plastic eggs are smart for not having a rotten egg hiding behind the radiator or something after a kids egg hunt but nobody reuses them year to year so the yolks on us

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Real hurthling! posted:

plastic eggs are smart for not having a rotten egg hiding behind the radiator or something after a kids egg hunt but nobody reuses them year to year so the yolks on us

the Russians used a pencil to record the egg locations

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
we were not the sort of family to do egg hunts but my friend down the road did. they always used plastic eggs; i've never seen an egg hunt that used real ones to be honest.

i have a strong memory of being like 12 and changing out of my trunks behind the house when i found an egg under some giant sea artifact (sponge? idk) on their back porch. it had a $20 and a piece of bubble gum inside, and was apparently the "main" egg to be found like three years earlier lol

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

that’s why you do it outside and let the raccoons find the ones you missed

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

mawarannahr posted:

was it always a cost thing ?

Mostly convenience I think.

Real hurthling! posted:

When we were kids we would always go over and do egg hunts at my grandparents house with our cousins. They had these gigantic and very thick hedges around their house that always got plastic eggs hidden in them. After they passed away someone else moved in and decided to rip those old bushes out by the roots using a truck. When they pulled the first one dozens of decades old plastic Easter eggs went flying everywhere.

Guess we didn't always find them all.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

EL

NINO

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

McCracAttack posted:

Mostly convenience I think.

hosed up things Americans do, Easter edition: use plastic instead of eggs for a thousands of years old tradition to celebrate the annual cycle of rebirth

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

mawarannahr posted:

hosed up things Americans do, Easter edition: use plastic instead of eggs for a thousands of years old tradition to celebrate the annual cycle of rebirth

Look buddy, it was like this when I got here. Also I was 7.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
a plastic egg, like the cycle of life, is eternal

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

somewhere out there a cost conscious dad is making his toddler eat 24 hardboiled eggs off the lawn

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

it's mid autumn and the skinks have hatched eggs, this can only be good news for australia

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

first 60 of the year was saturday

first 70 was today

first 80 is tomorrow

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

I work in the NYC parks department. There were a lot of Easter celebration picnickers this year. Alot of them decided to do egg hunts and in an act of kindness used bright streamers to mark where the eggs were using plastic streamers with plastic eggs filled with plastic confetti. I saw a bunch of birds trying to gobble them up this afternoon as the wind blew it around.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

actionjackson posted:

first 60 of the year was saturday

first 70 was today

first 80 is tomorrow

One week ago the high temperature was around freezing

Today's high was 80

Spring and fall no longer exist, it just goes from extreme to extreme in a week

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
The earth is healing (like when you get a fever).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
when I was a kid there was some company locally that would throw a plastic egg or two in every ones yards with coupons and prizes and like 1 piece of candy through the whole fuckin neighborhood and i remember my parents sort of teasing me for wanting to keep the plastic egg to use them in the future because you know, you should just throw it away obviously