Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

Rexxed posted:

Direct tools outlet is the one that's mentioned a lot, but unfortunately they seem to only have Ryobi, Rigid, and Hoover.
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/

I'm seeing some refurbs on acme tools which I've heard of but not ordered from personally:
https://www.acmetools.com/milwaukee/refurbished/search/?cgid=categories

I've gotten a couple refurb eGo items and they've been great. Make sure to dig for coupon codes too, they actually run decent ones.

Also, I'm an absolute DTO whore. Their sales combined with the Ridgid lifetime warranty on blem items (not refurb, be careful) is hard to beat. Even better if you live by one of the outlets and can save on shipping.

Bob Mundon fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

That Works posted:

As an FYI for all was deeply disappointed with the Ryobi 18v stick vac. Completely underpowered.

Which one? It seems to work well on my floors. Maybe I'll run it around then see what my shark picks up.
This is the one I own, I have kids but not pets.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ONE-18V-Cordless-Stick-Vacuum-Cleaner-Kit-with-4-0-Ah-Battery-and-Charger-PCL720K/319713476

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

tater_salad posted:

Which one? It seems to work well on my floors. Maybe I'll run it around then see what my shark picks up.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ONE-18V-Cordless-Stick-Vacuum-Cleaner-Kit-with-4-0-Ah-Battery-and-Charger-PCL720K/319713476

Yeah, I have this one too and I'm happy with it. I don't have any carpet, kids, or pets, though.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

tater_salad posted:

I got this one on one of the recent sales.

https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/P724SB1N

Rare miss for the ryobi stuff I have, using as a short handheld without the stick tube etc it works "ok" but no better than a lil older black and decker handheld one I had from years ago.

As a stick vac other than pet hair it can't reliably pick up things off of the floor even specs of errant kitty litter etc reliably. I've verified that its all seated correctly, filters installed properly etc, it just is only strong enough to pick up hair or very light dust and nothing more.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

^^^^^^ I should probably read all the replies before posting huh! Different stick vac than mine, I have the one tater_salad has!

That Works posted:

As an FYI for all was deeply disappointed with the Ryobi 18v stick vac. Completely underpowered.

Oh dang, I actually have that one, the One+ one, right, and think it's great. More powerful than my (admittedly end of life) knockoff Dyson. The handle economics of it suck butt though

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Johnny Truant posted:

Oh dang, I actually have that one, the One+ one, right, and think it's great. More powerful than my (admittedly end of life) knockoff Dyson. The handle economics of it suck butt though

I must have gotten a bad one or something then. I used it once to vacuum the stairs then went over the manual and rechecked everything, tried it again and put it away and havent touched it in a few months. Big disappointment for me. I end up having to go over the spots I used it in with a broom an dustpan etc for anything heavier than like 0.5 grams.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah Not sure if that is the old style but the older ones I stayed away from because the reviews were all poo poo on them . The newer ones were reviewed much better.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Snapped a tiny brass screw while making a box and decided to invest in these to help make the thread:

It worked really well!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Trabant posted:

Snapped a tiny brass screw while making a box and decided to invest in these to help make the thread:

It worked really well!

Ah poo poo definitely need those.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

tangy yet delightful posted:

Feel like there's been chat before about a good website for bare tool deals, maybe refurbs or somesuch. Anyone have any recs (beyond ebay)?

Specifically I'm thinking about getting a milwaukee portable vacuum thing to go with the batteries I already have.

Like the person who likes his 12v one, I have the M18 fuel pack out vacuum and I really like it. It picks up all the big stuff our dogs bring in that our stick vacuums roller brush thing has trouble with. It also attaches to my circular saw and jig saw, which is nice, though I wish it had a longer hose for that.

It definitely doesn't have as much power as the plug in ones I have at the office, though.

E: You may want to check Craigslist or other second hand market places in your area. I got mine new in box for $125.

Xenix fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 9, 2023

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I have the non-packout M18 vacuum and will third the praise for them. Definitely not as powerful as a full sized plug in shop vac but you can do a ton with them easily since they are compact and can go anywhere. I use mine way more than my normal shop vac.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Thanks for all the info/reviews. I already have a rigid shop-vac plugin model for all my big suck needs. This is more of a "nice to have" purchase I'm looking at for convenience on smaller tasks/messes. I've got the M18 battery system so I'll probably keep an eye out for deals there, looks like acmetools.com has solid prices so thanks for that link.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost
Well between work and general life stuff my garage work shop has become basically a messy storage space. It’s basically impossible to do anything as all the workbench areas have become a place to set stuff down. As work tapers down I want to get my garage in order and have it be useable space again.

Anyone have any general tips, advice, videos or anything else to offer? I plan on removing everything out, building some 2x4 shelves, and putting stuff back in an organized fashion. Money I’m saving by building the shelves myself will be spent on storage bins. For storage bins, I’m Mostly planning on doing labeled 5-gallon buckets with lids, and some Rubbermaid bins (I like the durability). Any other cool storage ideas would be appreciated, whether store bought or homemade.

I don’t really have a ton of hand tools so a mechanics tool chest doesn’t really make sense at the moment.

I figured this would be appropriate for the Tool Thread but if not, I can make my own thread too .. thanks in advance goons :cheers:

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Is there any meaningful difference in shop-vac quality or features? I'd like to get one of the more portable suitcase (tacklebox?) style ones to replace our round wheely Shop-Vac brand one.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Is there any meaningful difference in shop-vac quality or features? I'd like to get one of the more portable suitcase (tacklebox?) style ones to replace our round wheely Shop-Vac brand one.
The Rigid ones that have the sound baffles in them are meaningfully more quiet than the same sized vacuum that does not. I think that's now everything in their NXT series.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

stealie72 posted:

The Rigid ones that have the sound baffles in them are meaningfully more quiet than the same sized vacuum that does not. I think that's now everything in their NXT series.

This is very good to know, thank you.

ET_375
Nov 20, 2013

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Shop vacs divide into two categories, the 'general wet/dry vac' like Rigid, Shop Vac brand, Craftsman, etc, that are about $75-150. The other option is a 'dust extractor' like a Fein, Bosch, Festool, etc for $400-600. Some companies like Milwaukee make both (although usually Bosch, Milwaukee, etc, rebrand dust extractors made by Nilfisk). Since you mentioned noise, I can have a conversation and barely raise my voice next to a dust extractor, whereas I have to yell over a shop vac. Dust extractors also have much better filters (and auto-cleaning filters) and things like variable suction, and auto stop/start, so you can hook up your sander to the vacuum and have it turn on and off automatically with the sander. But you do have to pay more for all of that.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Blowjob Overtime posted:

I remember I was checking and Project Farm did some comparisons a couple years ago

Corded
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSN7PXwn1yU

Cordless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdhuatYzJw8

I know the Roybi toolbox-sized 18V cordless vac is fairly well liked as far as these things go. I bought the bigger one and wish I got the toolbox-sided one.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Rexxed posted:

Styropyro suggests laser safety goggles from Survival Lasers
Not anymore! They've had some issues.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

stealie72 posted:

How much quieter are we talking? I wear ear pro when using my rigid shop vac in my garage and I assume all of my neighbors hate me every time I turn it on. What kind of improvement do the baffles make, because I’d drop $120 for that in a heartbeat.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Schiavona posted:

How much quieter are we talking? I wear ear pro when using my rigid shop vac in my garage and I assume all of my neighbors hate me every time I turn it on. What kind of improvement do the baffles make, because I’d drop $120 for that in a heartbeat.
Don't have a decibel meter but obviously and noticeably. Like from "this vacuum will cause hearing damage" to "we will have to talk loudly while this is on."

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Shop vacs go hard https://imgur.io/gallery/2E9UAF4

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Schiavona posted:

If you're up for a project I have setup that'll take a screaming shopvac down to a level that you only have to slightly talk over and definitely don't need earpro around. I did it for same neighborly reason but it's made the shop much more pleasant in general.

Basically, I put the vacuum in a box, punched a hole in the box for the hose, and made a long exit path for the exhaust air. The whole box including exhaust path is lined with rock wool to deaden the sound.

Sorry for the mspaint over cad, I don't have any pictures of the finished thing handy. The vacuum is on the left, a cyclone separator (not a requirement) on the right, the bin the separator drops things into on the bottom right. Orange is dirty and/or debris, and blue is clean air from the vacuum exhaust. That clean air has to travel the width of the box twice and around a few corners before it reaches the final exit at bottom left.

I merged several ideas I found online to design this and it works great. The lid is also a work surface that gets alot of use as well, so it fits in my tiny shop space. I probably spent around $100 on this not counting the vacuum, but also spent 5-10 hours on it.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

ET_375 posted:

Shop vacs divide into two categories, the 'general wet/dry vac' like Rigid, Shop Vac brand, Craftsman, etc, that are about $75-150. The other option is a 'dust extractor' like a Fein, Bosch, Festool, etc for $400-600. Some companies like Milwaukee make both (although usually Bosch, Milwaukee, etc, rebrand dust extractors made by Nilfisk). Since you mentioned noise, I can have a conversation and barely raise my voice next to a dust extractor, whereas I have to yell over a shop vac. Dust extractors also have much better filters (and auto-cleaning filters) and things like variable suction, and auto stop/start, so you can hook up your sander to the vacuum and have it turn on and off automatically with the sander. But you do have to pay more for all of that.

You have given me much to think about. We have a couple sawdust generating devices in our unfinished basement, and intend to do more down there in the semi-near future.

BeAuMaN posted:

I remember I was checking and Project Farm did some comparisons a couple years ago

Corded
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSN7PXwn1yU

Cordless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdhuatYzJw8

I know the Roybi toolbox-sized 18V cordless vac is fairly well liked as far as these things go. I bought the bigger one and wish I got the toolbox-sided one.

I'll check these out over lunch. Initially the new battery environment turned me off of the cordless, but I am curious to see the comparison.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Greenworks has a pretty good sale going on over at Amazon today.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I need a nail gun, I'm completely new to air tools and I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed.

I'm redoing the siding on my garage with Hardie plank lap siding and I need something suitable for installing it. The Internet seems to suggest that you can get away with using a framing nailer instead of a siding nailer, and a framing nailer seems more versatile in the long run, but it's the Internet so nobody agrees on anything and I'm stuck here in decision paralysis mode.

Can you guys recommend a good nailer and suitable nails for installing this stuff? If a framing nailer works, great, if doing it right means getting a siding nailer, also great- please just help me make a decision

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I think the better question to ask is what nails do you need to use to secure the Hardie board. If a framing nailer fits them, it's good to go. If they're too small then you should find a siding nailer.

I've secured Hardie board once and it was through habitat for humanity. If I remember correctly I think we used 2-1/2" nails which a framing nailer should be able to handle fine.

E: I googled Hardie board installation and it looks like they recommend 6D 2" nails which will fit a framing nailer. I'd just get a framing nailer. They rule.

I have a Hitachi Magic Wand 21 degree framing nailer. They're now branded as Matebo but it's literally the exact same model. I got mine used for $75 from a grizzled contractor named Keith who decided to retire after working on a house in my area that had 48" on center studs with load bearing shiplap.

I add a drop of air tool oil to it each time I use it and it's yet to fail me despite looking like it's been dragged behind a truck.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 12, 2023

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
Good enough, I'll go with that Matebo or something like it that can handle a 2" 6d nail. Thanks!

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Just throwing it out there, if you're totally new to air tools to the point that you also need to buy a compressor take a look at the new cordless framing nailers available because depending on the compressor you may be in same ball park $ wise.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
If you are used to nail guns but not framing nailers be prepared for the kick, going from the finish nailer to the framing was like the difference between 22lr and 45-70.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
A big part of this project is that it's an excuse to buy a pretty ok air compressor so that I can get the good impact gun next time I have to work on my stupid truck. I know that battery tools are good now and I'm not here to trash talk em, but I'm all in on corded stuff and hopefully now air stuff.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Stalizard posted:

A big part of this project is that it's an excuse to buy a pretty ok air compressor so that I can get the good impact gun next time I have to work on my stupid truck. I know that battery tools are good now and I'm not here to trash talk em, but I'm all in on corded stuff and hopefully now air stuff.

You don't want the air impact either.

Seriously, battery tools are just that good now.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
As someone who just recently did about 700 feet of base and trim not having to deal with air was absolutely incredible. I'll never go back and I would never recommend anyone to invest in air at this point.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I hope that we can both agree that the important thing is that I never buy a corded electric impact

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
A good in-between is what I've done and bought the Milwaukee battery powered air compressor. It's small and only able to run nail guns really, but it's super quiet and portable and air nailers are waaaaay cheaper than battery powered nailers.

Also it can inflate tires and junk too.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Stalizard posted:

I hope that we can both agree that the important thing is that I never buy a corded electric impact

Those HAD their place for a hot minute, but that time is over now.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Motronic posted:

Those HAD their place for a hot minute, but that time is over now.

Never seen one worth a drat, it wasn't just battery chemistry but also brushless motors that made electric tools good.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I got everything all set up and bashed a few nails into some scrap wood. This thing is fuckin awesome, I'm never picking up a hammer again, and I wanted to share my joy with you all

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Stalizard posted:

I got everything all set up and bashed a few nails into some scrap wood. This thing is fuckin awesome, I'm never picking up a hammer again, and I wanted to share my joy with you all

Nailers are great, but you'll be using a hammer again, trust me. Congrats, regardless!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Next stop is a palm nailer and that'll get you close to never needing that hammer again, least for framing nails.