Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Just put collars on my three kittens for the first time. Imagine this x3 :

vvv
Hell yeah good sitter :hfive:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Apr 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Aww man great news on the cat sitting front. Sage still goes to hide when the cat sitter comes over, but when she sits up near where he's hiding and just talks to him quietly he's started poking his head out and letting her pet him!

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
What's a good brush for a short haired cat? One of my cats puked immediately after eating, and when I examined the vomit there was a bunch of hair in it, so I think it might help if I can brush the loose hair off of her. She's the left cat in this photo:

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Hand Knit posted:

I have a cat that has a runny nose problem.

The cat is a ~9-10 year old oriental shorthair with a very long snout. A few months ago she started sounding kind congested. Nothing serious and it was kinda chalked up to her being a bit overbred (long snout). It has now developed into a very runny nose. It's not serious but it is pretty gross, especially when she starts sneezing and blasts mucous all over the place. This is a particular problem because she will dig into the bed at night, and then start blasting.

Otherwise she seems happy and behaving as normal, but does anyone have any experience dealing with... this sort of thing?

Update:

The vet prescribed liquid antibiotics. She hates them but we seem to mostly be getting them to go down now. Small drips with the syringe, bit by bit, instead of trying to shoot it all in at once. However, a couple of things have changed. The hacking is gone but she sounds very phlegmy now, like there's liquid everywhere. I don't think it's in her lungs because she will stop making noise after she's settled. But it definitely sounds like her throat is full of goop. The second more pressing change is that she's now developed a bump on her nose. She doesn't seem like people touching it so I assume it might be painful.

Back to the vet today.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

pairofdimes posted:

What's a good brush for a short haired cat?

Equigroomer!

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

xzzy posted:

Equigroomer!
Seconding! One of our cats has very fine fur. She doesn't tolerate a wire brush at all, but she loves to be scraped with the Equigroomer.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

gloom posted:

Seconding! One of our cats has very fine fur. She doesn't tolerate a wire brush at all, but she loves to be scraped with the Equigroomer.

Thirded. My shorthair void has literally picked the thing up off the table it lives on in his mouth and brought it to me to brush him with.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
Wow, that's a ringing endorsement if I've ever seen one. I'll order it and see how much fur it ends up collecting and hopefully no more barfing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

pairofdimes posted:

Wow, that's a ringing endorsement if I've ever seen one. I'll order it and see how much fur it ends up collecting and hopefully no more barfing.

It's super effective! Especially this time of year since everyone is shedding like crazy.

https://i.imgur.com/2XFevBl.mp4

Makes a mess but it's pretty easy cleanup.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I took my new cat to the vet and he said they have to work it out : trim the nails, get some feline calming scent plug ins, and let them loose under supervision. I'm gonna do that, I'll report back.

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

In my previous post I mentioned taking my sister's cat (lucy) from a potentially bad situation and now I'm worried I've made it worse.

Lucy has been with us for about 26h now. I set her up in our spare office. I put as many new cat friendly towers and toys as I could get. I set her up with two main hiding spots. One on the ground in a blanket fort and one above on a dessert accessible from the cat tower.

So far I think she has hid in the ground fort for the entire 26h. I know she hasn't used the litter box and it doesn't look like she's eaten or drank anything, but I cannot be 100%

How soon do I need to be concerned about her water drinking? And...what do I do about it if I don't notice the water line going down on any of the dishes

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

LeninVS posted:

In my previous post I mentioned taking my sister's cat (lucy) from a potentially bad situation and now I'm worried I've made it worse.

Lucy has been with us for about 26h now. I set her up in our spare office. I put as many new cat friendly towers and toys as I could get. I set her up with two main hiding spots. One on the ground in a blanket fort and one above on a dessert accessible from the cat tower.

So far I think she has hid in the ground fort for the entire 26h. I know she hasn't used the litter box and it doesn't look like she's eaten or drank anything, but I cannot be 100%

How soon do I need to be concerned about her water drinking? And...what do I do about it if I don't notice the water line going down on any of the dishes

She'll drink when she's thirsty. Relax and let her adapt. She's scared out of her mind at the moment.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, that's normal! Even if they're coming into a good situation from a bad one, cats will be frightened when they're getting used to a new space. Give her at least another day.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Based.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W85oD8FEF78

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

gloom posted:

are these good for a longer haired cat too?

gloom
Feb 1, 2003

Light Gun Man posted:

are these good for a longer haired cat too?
I don’t have the experience to say, sorry. Both of our cats are shorthairs, but one has a fine coat and the other’s is much thicker and more coarse. The latter cat certainly doesn’t mind the Equigroomer, but he prefers the wire brush.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

The equigroomer works great on our domestic longhair cats.

LeninVS posted:

Our cats did this too when we brought them home from the shelter. They didn’t even leave the carrier for around 24h. It was terrifying for us, but they were fine. They just needed time. We mixed water into wet food and put it right up against their hiding place to help them feel comfortable enough to start eating and to get their hydration up.

Edit: Also thank you to everyone with advice about our weirdo licking cat. We’re still experimenting with feeding her, no real breakthrough yet but I’ll report back if we figure something out.

kaom fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 11, 2023

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
thanks, y'all

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Deviant posted:

I am at my wit's end here. One of my cats who I've had for many years will not stop pissing and making GBS threads on the bed and occasionally laundry. I have tried so many things. I have tried, from memory:

- different cat litter
- cat attract by Dr Elsey
- keeping the box spotless
- prescription anxiety medication from the vet following an exam that turned up nothing medical
- feliway diffusers AND spray
- ordered a new, different type of box, which will be here soon.

Current box is a high wall natures miracle box, uncovered, and with a low cutout for entry. Using world's best cat litter, and the box on order is a covered catit hooded box.

The cat doesn't fight with the other cats. She just stays in the bedroom and won't come out to the rest of the house for any reason, but is perfectly social inside that space. They eat, they drink, and I even see them use the box in addition to going on the bed. I can't keep washing sheets and mattress protectors. What do I do here? How do I make this stop? What haven't I tried?

The only thing I can think is they have separation anxiety because I never see the mess happen, and I work on the far end of the house in my home office. I could bring them in there while I work, but I'd have to use a carrier lest I get the poo poo clawed out of me.

Edit: they are making biscuits as I type this :3:

I had a similar issue happening with a cat. We switched to the pink attractant World's Best, with a silicone high-rim feeding mat under the open litter box, to supplement an existing box with pine. There's a Nature's Miracle with a light cinnamon smell that cats don't like which seems enough to discourage pissing but won't stop the cat from napping/playing. Wash your mattress protector and bedding with normal Natures Miracle in place of fabric softener.

Cat treats were stored nearby and given whenever he used the new box, which had the hilarious side effect of the other cats arriving to queue up for a snack whenever they heard him peeing. Progress!

Sometimes he will pee in the pine. Sometimes he will poop on the mat. The world's best is scooped nightly. No real problems anymore.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

EoRaptor posted:

I’m going to bluntly suggest moving some buried poops from the upstairs box to the downstairs, so it smells like a place for cats to poop.

So update, this worked!

I waited a few weeks because I just couldn’t bring myself to make my cats use a litter box with poop already buried in it. :cry: In the end I compromised and took used litter (without poops) from the other box and mixed it into this one. Cue a couple days of digging around but not using it, then a couple days of peeing in it, and finally poops! Both litter boxes fully in use. :) Thanks!

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

This might be a dumb question but do all cats affect allergy havers in the same way? Are there some kinds of cats that give less allergies? Is there a way to tell if you're going to be allergic to any given cat?

I'd really like to consider getting an adult cat but in the past I've had allergies.

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

LeninVS posted:

Quick update on the Lucy situation.
Thanks everyone for reassuring me, Lucy started drinking/eating/litterboxing maybe an hour or two after my post.

In the last 5 days we have gone from her hissing/growling at even the sound of us walking around and her hiding in her blanket fort. To her being pretty confident in her basecamp room. She's actively exploring and laying down in multiple spots in the room.
She even gives us headbutts when we come in.

Now I just need to work on her getting along with my current cat Cora.

They bumped into eachother while Lucy was exploring the house and I thought Cora was locked up in the basement.
Much hissing and hiding after that.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

hallo spacedog posted:

This might be a dumb question but do all cats affect allergy havers in the same way? Are there some kinds of cats that give less allergies? Is there a way to tell if you're going to be allergic to any given cat?

I'd really like to consider getting an adult cat but in the past I've had allergies.

Apparently there is a food you can feed cats that makes them shed less of the proteins that make you allergic

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

You can age out of allergies just like you can age into new ones, so it may be a moot point now anyway. I recommend rubbing your face in someone else's cat to be sure.

When I was allergic it definitely seemed to vary by cat. That's anecdotal and hard to measure objectively, though.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Some cats have very fine hair that floats around, some is more coarse and will just drop to the ground. That can make a big difference.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I have minor cat allergies, and my long hair cat sets me off worse than my short hair cats. Also, all outdoor cats trigger my allergies WAY worse than indoor cats.

Usually if I'm having an allergy issue, I just take some antihistamine and wash my face with soap/water, usually clears it right up. I don't get hives or anything, just itchy eyes - like I said, minor.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
found out today that my sweet baby Olive has diabetes and that might explain why she's been making GBS threads in front of the box

gloom
Feb 1, 2003

Unsinkabear posted:

You can age out of allergies just like you can age into new ones, so it may be a moot point now anyway. I recommend rubbing your face in someone else's cat to be sure.

When I was allergic it definitely seemed to vary by cat. That's anecdotal and hard to measure objectively, though.
This happened to me. I lost my cat allergy somewhere around my late 20s or early 30s. Before that, I remember it was noticeably worse visiting homes that weren't cleaned as often. My takeaway is that regular dusting and maybe an air purifier can help a lot if the allergy is mild. Otherwise, there's always sphinx cats too.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

hallo spacedog posted:

Most cat allergies react to a substance in the cat's saliva. So hairless or very short-haired cats are just as allergenic as other cats. However, the type of fur the cat has can affect how much her hair gets everywhere and how easy it is to sweep it up.

There are some breeds of cats (e.g. the long haired Siberians) that statistically produce less of the allergen than most cats. But they still produce some! If you're interested in a specific cat, the best thing you can do is spend some time with that individual cat and see if you have a reaction.

Anecdotally, I've heard from many people that they had a cat allergy when they first got their cat, but over time it went away or became less noticeable. I also know some people who love cats so much that they're commited to taking allergy pills every day of their life. I'm not sure if that's recommended from a medical perspective...

Personally I'm not allergic to cats according to the allergy test. I still had some reaction when we first got our cat, my airways and eyes were irritated for some days. My partner also isn't allergic to cats according to the test, but they get the thing where any cat scratch becomes all lumpy bumpy for some minutes. So depending on what you mean by "have had allergies", maybe you're not allergic at all!

There is a cat food that binds to the allergen, and there is a shot in the works that would make the cat no longer produce the allergen. I would not rely on either of them at this point, if you're allergic to a degree that you can't tolerate, it's better not to get a cat.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

pidan posted:

Anecdotally, I've heard from many people that they had a cat allergy when they first got their cat, but over time it went away or became less noticeable.
This is definitely me. I have lived with 6 different cats over my lifetime. All of them I started out quite allergic and after a few weeks or months the allergy had become almost unnoticeable. The latest 2 cats are my own cats that I adopted, and at this point I basically have to shove my face into them and give them kisses in order to trigger any allergic reaction. When I adopted them, merely existing in the same apartment as them was triggering itchy eyes and other symptoms. But of course YMMV.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

That's really weird but also kind of makes sense, I had a dog for many years who I was not allergic to but if I was around my sister's dog it would make me feel itchy and irritated by their hair, partially cause she was bad at cleaning it too.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
We have had 2 cats for 8 years, I am allergic to one waaaay more than the other. It all is dependent on the cat’s specific dander/saliva and your body. My body says no, I won’t become immune, so I’ve been allergic for my whole life despite having cats for 99% of it.

I second the suggestion to rub your face on a cat to see if you are already allergic to that specific cat.

Also, AllerPet is a wonderful thing, you wipe it over your pet and it helps get rid of the allergens. I’m usually too lazy to keep up with it so I wash my face after snuggling with my allergy cat.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

So it turns out Twig is much younger than we knew when I volunteered as tribute cat dad. Like, as young as a kitty could possibly be and still look convincingly like an adult cat. I love her to death and she's getting more trusting and snuggly by the day, but her needs are high. The well of kitten energy seemingly has no bottom, and anytime she's not actively trying to annoy me into being interesting, she's walking all over my keyboard or headbutting the mouse out of my hand so that I drop what I'm doing and give her affection (which is adorable but ironic from a cat who polices her own personal space with an iron paw). She particularly loves doing this when I'm on video calls! I work from home and am enduring some struggles of my own right now, so this is all starting to drive me a little nuts. And more importantly, I'm worried that she's getting bored and lonely. I had hoped me being around would take the teeth (heh) out of that issue, but I may not be energetic enough to stimulate her often enough.

Taking her in was a calculated risk because I'm the only person who could, but that math did not include her being an adorable maniac of a "kitten." I know the solution to kittens/young cats is to get two, and I want her to be happy more than anything else, so I'll do that if I have to. But my lease specifies only one cat/dog, and ideally I do not want a fourth creature (on top of Twig, me, and sometimes my partner) in my tiny little apartment that I never leave.

How old do cats need to get before they begin to chill out, and if I do have to get her a companion before then, how do I go about finding another cat that I know she actually likes?

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 14, 2023

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I just took 2 cats to the vet who said that both of them needed their anal glands expressed. This was day before yesterday. Last night I found poo in the bed and this morning, one of the two cats had poo or something that looked very liquidy, sticking to her bum and I had to wipe her a couple of times. Is this normal? I hope it stops soon!

The vet said to give the cats more fiber and said that anti scoot treats are good. Can anyone recommend any?

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

redreader posted:

I just took 2 cats to the vet who said that both of them needed their anal glands expressed. This was day before yesterday. Last night I found poo in the bed and this morning, one of the two cats had poo or something that looked very liquidy, sticking to her bum and I had to wipe her a couple of times. Is this normal? I hope it stops soon!

The vet said to give the cats more fiber and said that anti scoot treats are good. Can anyone recommend any?

Anal glands should be naturally expressed whenever a cat poops as long as their poops are solid enough to press on them when passing on out so any fiber source will do, metamucil for humans is what we used when I worked in a cat rescue. If your cats will eat canned pumpkin that's also a good fiber treat for them.

Additionally, if you can, trimming up their butt hair helps a lot. I have 4 cats and while it's unusual for the two short haired cats to have any hygiene problems, the two long haired cats get dingleberries from time to time if I don't keep up on the trimming. If they're chubby or elderly cats they may have issues with getting back there to clean on their own too regardless of their fur length.

Edit: 1/2 tsp metamucil or psyllium husk powder added to wet food whenever they eat is what I'd recommend

hypoallergenic cat breed fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 14, 2023

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
This cat has never ever had diarrhea before. Last night we found poo in the bed (never happened before), 2 days after the anal gland expression. The cat is 11 lbs and not super hairy. she is 5 and can clean herself. The bed poos were a couple of little pellets, not wet.

Last night (after the poo in the bed) I gave her a dose of prednisone liquid for the first time (prescribed for scratching), and this morning she's had liquid coming out of her butt after pooing, twice so far. So that complicates things further!

edit 2: when I gave her the prednisone liquid, she loving LOVED it. before I tried to give it to her she was licking the syringe. I've never had no issues with giving meds to a cat, so this is hilarious.

redreader fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 14, 2023

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

redreader posted:

No experience with anti scoot treats here, but my poop monkey cat gets Miralax (1/4 tsp, 2x day) mixed in with his wet food to help him avoid constipation.

He's at the vet right now, being boarded all day because I wanted him to get checked for urinary crystals. I dropped him off at 9 am, and the vet called at 2 pm to say he still hadn't peed, and oh guess what, he gained almost 2 pounds since his last visit in January. He's now 27 lbs and some ounces.

At the January vet visit, the vet said she didn't want to restrict his calories any further and in fact he may not be getting enough calories to keep his metabolism active. So I began sprinkling 1 teaspoon (measured with a spoon, scraped flat) of dry food on top of his wet food, twice a day, to get him a few extra calories. If the calorie count on his dry food (Acana Indoor) is correct, that's 16 extra calories a day.

That's the only change I made to his diet since January. I made him gain almost 2 pounds in 4 months from eating 16 extra calories a day. :psyduck:

God I feel terrible. I was trying to help him and I just made his obesity even worse.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yesterday morning I woke up and Mel was hiding from me, refusing to eat her breakfast and it was worrying enough I took her to the hospital. Figured maybe it's some minor swelling or pancreatitis like last time and they'll keep her hydrated through it until the swelling goes down. Barely 24 hours later and I've just come back from holding her during euthanasia. Turns out she had anemia and worsening internal bleeding in her chest, her blood refused to clot even after a platelet transfusion and she was starting to have difficulty breathing. Vets had no idea why, could've been cancer or FIP or something else but all the likeliest possibilities had a terrible prognosis attached, and I was told we could spend a lot of time and money to keep her limping along in constant pain hoping the cause is found and treatable, or let her go peacefully now. I don't know if I made the right choice: I could have just barely afforded the low end estimate of extended care if I tapped my entire savings, but even more than the money she just looked so scared and miserable when I saw her in the treatment room and the thought of her suffering through that for days or even a week just to die anyway tore my goddamn heart out. She was only eight years old, for a house cat that's like dying in your 40's, what the actual gently caress.

She was a big dumb idiot who refused to be held and would lead me on a chase around the house to give her flea topical, while also being the sweetest goddamn thing in the world: regularly jumping into my lap for pets or cozying up at night to sleep. I loved her like nothing else in the world, and I feel so loving empty sitting her surround by her toys and treats and cat tree and knowing she's never going to get to enjoy them again.

Goodbye Mel. :smith:

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

It’s heartbreaking enough when you know it’s coming but totally devastating when it’s so sudden. :(
It sounds like you did the best you could do. She looks like a wonderful little character. I’m so sorry for your loss, Sydin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Hand Knit posted:

Update:

The vet prescribed liquid antibiotics. She hates them but we seem to mostly be getting them to go down now. Small drips with the syringe, bit by bit, instead of trying to shoot it all in at once. However, a couple of things have changed. The hacking is gone but she sounds very phlegmy now, like there's liquid everywhere. I don't think it's in her lungs because she will stop making noise after she's settled. But it definitely sounds like her throat is full of goop. The second more pressing change is that she's now developed a bump on her nose. She doesn't seem like people touching it so I assume it might be painful.

Back to the vet today.

Regrettable final update. It was lymphoma. She just turned 9. Apparently oriental shorthairs and siamese have a gene that put them more at risk younger for this type of cancer.