Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Fired up Days Gone over the weekend and yes, it's an extremely dated mash-up of Sons of Anarchy and the Walking Dead that takes itself extremely seriously, but drat if it isn't the best port of a Playstation game this side of Spider-Man. Turns out that a painless smooth 60 fps can cure a lot of the bad memories of a terrible motorcycle club soap-opera that heavily abused musical montages. Also the game itself can be pretty challenging, these mobs of zombies are downright terrifying at the beginning of the game. No other game has captured that quintessential scene and feeling of running as fast as you can away from a swarm of 50+ fast zombies, jumping on your motorcycle, and speeding off just as the swarm begins to catch up with you. Truly thrilling stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Days gone is a really great mediocre game.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Hwurmp posted:

it's good in Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin

It's basically a rigorously detailed rice farming simulator, so accurate they suggest reading the Japanese goverment's guide on rice growing for tips.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.

MarcusSA posted:

Days gone is a really great mediocre game.

Yeah, I have a weakness for open world games and I had fun playing through it. I liked that it wasn't a completely hopeless zombie story.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
I enjoyed Days Gone but maaaaan did I sure not care much about the plot during the last third or so. Some of the voice acting was really good, though.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Wishlisted Everspace 2 after some posts here making it sound like something I'd get into, but that means I need to ask about the first Everspace. Is that worth getting as well?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gromit posted:

Wishlisted Everspace 2 after some posts here making it sound like something I'd get into, but that means I need to ask about the first Everspace. Is that worth getting as well?

It's a short run-based game that I beat in a single evening and it was fun enough that I figured I might give the second game a go one day. I mostly remember it for the narmy fridging of the recurring female npc who helps you out as you make progress.

The presentation of the moment was just so funny I couldn't help but laugh

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Why do all these farming games keep shoving mediocre combat stuff into them?

I don’t want to fight, I want to chill and grow turnips.
It's because of me, I'm the guy who finds Harvest Moon boring and enjoys Rune Factory.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. She tried Story of Seasons and while she wasn't initially into the art style (she's not allergic to anime as she adores Persona but whatever you call this particular anime deformed style) she has gotten totally hooked on the game. I liked the initial cutscene where it shows the player traveling to the farm and camping along the way.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Gromit posted:

It is a fun space shooty game inside a pre-Hades roguelite framework. I feel like Video Game Society at Large had not really figured out metaprogression in run-based games at that point.

edit: for clarity, this is me saying no, not worth it

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's a decent game on sale, I just thought it was pretty funny how the dev thought they really had something going with the storyline of generic cut-and-paste* protag guy whose name I could probably look up. He's prominently featured in the key art of the second game.

*yes I realize the irony here

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Gromit posted:

The original is a space combat game too, explore nodes find dangerous things while sometimes under a clock and a lot of dogfighting kinda stuff. The format is in a Roguelite similar to FTL if that rings a bell, and the game was notable for actually having a in-universe explanation for your recurring 'runs'.

The major strike against it was a lot of hideous grinding needed to upgrade your ship to a working level. So if you like space stuff, enjoy the roguelike 'runs' format, and are willing to suffer through a few doomed runs in order to fail-forwards, I'd totally recommend it. The game is pretty, controls snappy, the environments feel relatively fleshed out with some very fun dangerous terrain like black holes and alien artifacts, and the DLC adds a bunch of stuff to make the world feel more 'lived-in'.

The sequel dropped roguelike aspect in favor of a more traditional space adventure while still retaining the 'discrete system nodes' feel. It also kept the GOD-AWFUL GRIND and MADE IT WORSE by ADDING LEVELS TO YOUR GEAR AND ENEMIES, so uh the dev might have some brain worms poisoning in there lol.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lol

yeah that sounds about right

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Runa posted:

It's a decent game on sale, I just thought it was pretty funny how the dev thought they really had something going with the storyline of generic cut-and-paste* protag guy whose name I could probably look up. He's prominently featured in the key art of the second game.

*yes I realize the irony here

The first hour of Everspace 2's storyline is:

You escape from the evil corporate military who turned on you and wants to kill you

Then you find a drifter guy out in space who has a well-hidden asteroid base. You team up with him and your very first task is to fly around the sector and visit various planets to repair a series of devices that keep the location of the base hidden from the evil corporate military. All well and good so far. Also, your injured friend is in cryostasis at the asteroid base.

So okay, your next task is to find medical equipment to help your injured friend. So you go to a big cargo warehouse owned by the evil corporate military that you're hiding from. You find a cargo pod containing the medical equipment, that's great! So what does the protagonist do?

He enters the coordinates of the asteroid base into the evil corporate military's shipping system so that the medical pod can be auto-delivered there by their shipping drones.

I have no idea how it plays out after that because that's around when I quit but :barf:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
lmao

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

AngryBooch posted:

Fired up Days Gone over the weekend and yes, it's an extremely dated mash-up of Sons of Anarchy and the Walking Dead that takes itself extremely seriously, but drat if it isn't the best port of a Playstation game this side of Spider-Man. Turns out that a painless smooth 60 fps can cure a lot of the bad memories of a terrible motorcycle club soap-opera that heavily abused musical montages. Also the game itself can be pretty challenging, these mobs of zombies are downright terrifying at the beginning of the game. No other game has captured that quintessential scene and feeling of running as fast as you can away from a swarm of 50+ fast zombies, jumping on your motorcycle, and speeding off just as the swarm begins to catch up with you. Truly thrilling stuff.

I absolutely loved it, even the cheesy story. They nailed Oregon, the motorcycle physics were way better done that most games and super fun, the world was scary (frantically blasting over your should at the giant zombie wolf that's faster than your bike and chasing you down was terrifying), and I could go on and on. I have extreme trouble finishing games, even great ones, but Days Gone just kept relentlessly drawing me back til the end. My biggest gripe was Deacon being such a whiny middle-school baby. I thought a lot of the other characters were done really well though.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Sloppy posted:

My biggest gripe was Deacon being such a whiny middle-school baby.

While you're not wrong, it is kind of justified when you realize that Deacon has survivor's guilt and a death wish.

(MAJOR SPOILERS for the plot)

He blames himself for the death of his girlfriend (wife? It's been a while since I played) when she went off in the helicopter without him because he was injured. When the camp where the helicopter was believed to have landed is overrun with zombies, and Deacon blames himself for her death because he feels he should've been there to protect her. Instead he had to stay behind because he was injured. He wants to die, but can't bring himself to suicide since there are others who still depend on him and who he considers family.

That's why he's always going off against the hoard alone and going into extremely dangerous places. Either he helps other survivors since he feels he needs to as a survivor himself, or he gets killed by the hoard. It's win-win in his eyes.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
I've been playing the 1.0 release of Everspace 2 for 10 hours and I think the grind is severely overstated, people just see the Perks menu and think they have to have them all now when they seem like something you gradually unlock over the course of the game. I've just been flying around in the second star system doing quests and jobs and I get better equipment and lots more money naturally.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Chiming in on the Everspace 2 thoughts:

I no-lifed the poo poo out of it and beat the game along with maybe 30% of the sidequests, which landed me at level 26 out of 30. The level-ups slow down towards the end, as is expected, but the making it to 30 isn't exactly a slog if you enjoy the game and like doing the various missions and activities.

The actual 'endgame' part is randomized rifts that are VERY reminiscent of the original - though there is now a fuzzy time limit on each area, so you can't just hide and snipe and take your time. This is probably my one big gripe: there are ships entirely designed around hiding and sniping, and having the endgame activity force you into combat against especially dangerous enemies might turn a lot of folks off if they enjoy the sneaky-style approach (which, until this point, is entirely viable for play).

I enjoyed the first game a great deal, and this one keeps the majority of the formula with lots more puzzle solving and maybe too much traveling point to point. You do unlock a 'fast travel' later in the campaign but if there was one thing I'd change it would be to cut down on the in-system flight times. Please. Just let me fly faster from point to point.

There are 9 (I believe) different ships to try out, each with some defining passives and ultimate abilities. Chances are extremely high you will find a ship or archetype that you like playing around with. If you like the core fly 'n shoot gameplay, you really can't go wrong with this game.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I know they added uniques/exotics/whateveryouwanttocallthem near the end of development, are they particularly gamechanging, and can you only get them from that endgame stuff?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Runa posted:

narmy fridging.

I have absolutely no idea what this means.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Akratic Method posted:

I have absolutely no idea what this means.

"Fridging" is when a female character in a story is hurt, trapped, or killed in order to be a catalyst for the plot, or to motivate the (male) protagonist into action.

From here: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/StuffedIntoTheFridge

"Narm" is a point in a story that is supposed to be very serious, but due to bad writing, comes across as overly dramatic and sappy, causing it to lose all impact and even be seen as humorous.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Narm

quote:

It is named for a famous scene in the last season of Six Feet Under. In it, main character Nate Fisher briefly grabs his right arm and complains that it's numb. He then suffers a brain hemorrhage while repeating the words "numb arm". However, it quickly degenerates into "Narm! Narm!" before he comically rolls up his eyes, snorts loudly, and then drops to the floor. Even though the scene was intended to be dramatic, fans and critics overwhelmingly found it to be funny.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
tvtropes lingo completely disappearing from relevance is one of the very few positive developments online over the last decade or so

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
narmy fridging, the far less popular sequel to peaky blinders

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Oxxidation posted:

tvtropes lingo completely disappearing from relevance is one of the very few positive developments online over the last decade or so

Fridging was a concept way before tvtropes though, wasn't it?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The titular fridging happened in 1994 and the website about the general concept popped up in 1999. TV Tropes didn't come around until 2004.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

SirSamVimes posted:

Fridging was a concept way before tvtropes though, wasn't it?

Yes fridging/women in refrigerators was not actually created by TVtropes, the original was an old comic book website that kept a list of killed or depowered female superheroes. Somewhat interestingly, the death part is all that was kept over time.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Yeah it's handy to have shorthand for 'disposed of female character to further the plot of male character' because it still happens so loving much

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I've heard of fridging, but I had never heard of whatever the gently caress a "narmy" is before this.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

it's what your nhandy is attached to

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Mordja posted:

I know they added uniques/exotics/whateveryouwanttocallthem near the end of development, are they particularly gamechanging, and can you only get them from that endgame stuff?

You can get them from Rifts (the rng 4-stage murderthon with global modifiers)
OR if you play on the Nightmare difficulty (unlocks when you finish the campaign) enemies in world get a tiny chance to drop them.
Apparently they are also rewards for some side-quests?

They are very strong - but you're limited to 1 or 2 per ship (only tier 4 ships can use 2).
You can certainly build around them - like the armor that turns you invisible after 3 seconds of not boosting/getting shot (hilarious on the drone carrier)

Or they can complement your build - crazy laser mines (ludicrous on a bomber), or a coilgun that does 30x its usual damage at the cost of ult energy (amazing on ships with mediocre ults)

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 11, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Veotax posted:

I've heard of fridging, but I had never heard of whatever the gently caress a "narmy" is before this.

I skimmed past it assuming it was incomprehensible British slang of some kind, like I do with all gibberish words.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lmao

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

that's right bitch, im old school

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

deep dish peat moss posted:

I skimmed past it assuming it was incomprehensible British slang of some kind, like I do with all gibberish words.

Veotax posted:

Context is only gonna make it dumber, it comes from an out of nowhere character death on a TV show (hiding it in case people don't want random 2000s dramas ruined for them in the Steam thread)

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

deep dish peat moss posted:

lmao :same:

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Fridging my pasty barm to save for later

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

a general goes to war with a narmy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Velocity Raptor posted:

"Narm" is a point in a story that is supposed to be very serious, but due to bad writing, comes across as overly dramatic and sappy, causing it to lose all impact and even be seen as humorous.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Narm
Man that is not fair to SFU. Show had its issues but Nate's sister even starts laughing when he narms because it's so confusing and out of nowhere. And it fits absolutely perfectly into the narrative into the show as it goes on.