Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Gotta keep in mind that to a corporation math that looks like

Development cost +/- sales + port cost +/- port sales doesn’t actually equal anything a human being could understand, it’s gotta be triple that and also make up for sacrificing a couple dump trucks worth of money into a fire just because.

Orv fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Lance McDonald (the guy who modded bloodborne in the first place) has allegedly already seen a working 60fps bloodborne at a Sony studio so the work is done, or has at least started.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Update on Demon Souls.

Still in the first world. I am reading a guide and I am seeing things like world 1-1 which I am in and other worlds like 2-1, 3-1, etc. So Ill go by that I guess.

The intro to 1-1 is kicking my poo poo in.

Dr Cheesequake
Dec 23, 2008

I dream of humans and goblins co-existing peacefully

dialhforhero posted:

My biggest lesson for this game was to be patient and deliberate with your strikes. After I took out a Night’s Cavalry in Limgrave and only needed two health flasks, I felt very accomplished and confident. Like finally the game clicked. I even started to get the hang of parrying.

You CANNOT spam your attack, even sometimes on the weak guys. Sometimes fights are just going to be long and you will only have a 3 second window to strike and that window opens up after 12 seconds of dodging, hit-and-runs, or kiting, etc.

Counterpoint: I had trouble with the Rennala while using the Greatsword, as she would just spam her magic while I was recovering from a heavy swing. I dug through my weapons until I found Claws and just shredded the the encounter with light attacks on my second try.
Maybe I should try a bleed build.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
They should put blooborne on the PC because it would make me happy.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

They should put bloodborne on pc to help with the effort to reappropriate cone hats from the silent hill series.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I've managed to get past the prelude and even kill a few minor bosses, but I feel kinda lost and unmoored without a quest log. Am I on the right track if I just go wandering around on my horsey and try to kill poo poo (and then run away after I die too much)

I found this elevator to this underground area and traversed most of it before dying unceremoniously one too many times and deciding I'm not leveled enough to get through it again. I was limping along without any magic for quite a bit and it seemed wiser to come back to it than to try to slog through it over and over.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Don't worry, we've decided not to partner with Bluepoint for the Bloodborne remake. Instead we've tapped Bloober Team to handle it. :mrgw:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Hawkperson posted:

I've managed to get past the prelude and even kill a few minor bosses, but I feel kinda lost and unmoored without a quest log. Am I on the right track if I just go wandering around on my horsey and try to kill poo poo (and then run away after I die too much)

I found this elevator to this underground area and traversed most of it before dying unceremoniously one too many times and deciding I'm not leveled enough to get through it again. I was limping along without any magic for quite a bit and it seemed wiser to come back to it than to try to slog through it over and over.

Not having a quest and just wandering around like Caine from kung fu, just see what adventures God leads you to

There are there definite gates past which you cannot get without getting funneled into the main story and conclusion, just bumble around until you’ve explored as much as possible

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Hawkperson posted:

You actually do have a quest log in the form of your map, it's just that the quests the game gives you are few and very far between. The light of Grace always points you towards something to do, as well, but if you don't want to do that, you can always do what I dop:

- Look at the map and note somewhere interesting you haven't been yet (the map labels most places of interest that you visit, so anything you can see on it that isn't named is a good place to check out).
- Alternately, look around and see if there are any landmarks to travel to.
- Go there and see if there's anything interesting to do.
- If it's too hard or not fun, put an icon on the map to remind you to come back later.
- Repeat until you don't see any more interesting places, or you decide you want to revisit one of your previous markers.
- When you clear an area, remove the marker.
- Also go back and talk to folks pretty regularly to see if they have anything new to say or have moved elsewhere. They too are (now) marked on your map.
- Basically, the map is great, treat it like your quest log, with the quest list being "anything on here that looks like something that I haven't done yet"

Personally I tend to mix periods of exploration where I ride around making note of caves, gaols, crypts, dungeons and whatever on my map, and then fight periods where I go down the list and check them off one by one depending on what I'm in the mood for.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

khwarezm posted:

I might be being extremely naive, but I half got the impression that Bloodborne was sort of intended to be a more highbrow and hardcore game to give the PS4 a bit more clout among people who might have been less interested if they thought all the exclusives were going to be Order 1886 or Uncharted style 'Cinematic' games, as in the videogame version of a movie studio releasing an Oscar season movie. In both cases they are willingly sacrificing some sales figures to try and gain prestige that can make it more attractive to certain audiences.

I think it's worth remembering that the conditions that led to Bloodborne were probably more of a mea culpa on Sony's part. In some circles at the time Sony was seen as having had a part in creating a golden goose that they took for granted. Demon's Souls was a paradigm shift moment in gaming that was right under Sony's nose and largely on their dollar and they almost let it slip away. Yoshida played a significant part in forming an early Japanese confidence in the PS4, getting stuff like Gravity Rush 2 and The Last Guardian out the door, but he specifically said that his first reaction to Demon's Souls way back when had been pretty negative and he felt really guilty about that. Now Bloodborne is not the biggest budget game by any means, but I think it was expensive enough that didn't really make much money. If I were to hazard a guess, based on the way he presented it and the media tour he did to promote it, Bloodborne (and to a certain extent Deracine) were projects that Sony knew would be losses in the short term but would pay off long term wrt developer relations, possible future exclusives, and who knows what else.

And now Sony owns 14% of FROM.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 11, 2023

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

Don't worry, we've decided not to partner with Bluepoint for the Bloodborne remake. Instead we've tapped Bloober Team to handle it. :mrgw:

So, a lateral move

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Katamari Democracy posted:

Update on Demon Souls.

Still in the first world. I am reading a guide and I am seeing things like world 1-1 which I am in and other worlds like 2-1, 3-1, etc. So Ill go by that I guess.

The intro to 1-1 is kicking my poo poo in.

Get thee to the Demon’s Souls thread so we can experience it vicariously through you.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Hawkperson posted:

For a concrete goal: you're trying to get into Stormveil, in the north of Limgrave. There's a lot you can do beforehand, and technically the whole place is optional, but it's definitely intended as the first major dungeon.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Hawkperson posted:

My technique for finding something to do on my first run was just to open the map, find something which looks interesting, drop a marker and figure out how to get there.

For more specific tips: each named area, like a name which appears when you first enter it, has at least one of each of these things: a cave, a catacomb, a ruins and an evergaol. (Not 100% certain on the evergaol, but I think that's correct). Finding and beating each one will have a lot of benefits. You'll get upgrade mats, Ashes, Ash upgrade mats, etc. Sometimes a spell or a weapon.

All of those things are typically tuned for the player to be around the same level/upgrade level range that the rest of the area has. The ruins is usually at the bottom of the range (since it's often just a boss fight), followed by the cave, then the catacombs, which is closer to the top of the range. Evergaols are sort of hit and miss. Some of them are quite easy once you figure out the trick, and others are ridiculously hard. No harm in making the attempt, since you will respawn right by it, and your dropped runes will be outside it- meaning you lose nothing but time. But don't feel bad about having to come back later to actually beat it.

Another tip I didn't see anyone mention: You mentioned you had gone underground and struggled a bit without magic. If you were in a catacomb, most of the enemies typically found in them- stone imps, skeletons, are very strong against damage from bladed weapons. It's never a bad idea to grab a Club or some source of Striking damage for those situations. You might find that area a lot easier with a Striking weapon (clubs, maces, etc.), if you were using a blade the first time. Highly recommend 2-handing it, and making heavy use of the jumping R2.

But in general head in whatever direction the golden beams are pointing, young Tarnished. Do you doubt the Guidance of Grace?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Astrochicken posted:

I weep for the people who may never get to experience a full playthrough of bloodbourne bookended by the laurence the first vicar boss fight. Still get chills thinking about the track that pays as you fight him. But also with like 10 other moments in the game too.

Ludwigs music is a high point of all of fromsoft games, when the waltz kicks in fully it loving rules

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

- bluepoint has expressed interest and is familiar with FROM's body of work

This is why I'm fine with it never coming to PC.

skasion posted:

Yeah Demon’s Souls has a very steep learning curve for basic melee guy. The gameplay is going to feel familiar to any one who’s played these games but the world design and systems are willing to menace the new player with resource scarcity in a way that the later games really aren’t. Healing, humanity, mp, bonfires (lol what bonfires), upgrade rocks, item burden, all harder to come by. repair cost of all things is seriously annoying until you start to kill things that aren’t dreglings and get a decent amount of souls. The game is constantly threateningly nudging you to optimize your play, branch out, and find the brokenly good poo poo. or else.

Great game. Still the best co-op/invasions of any of these imo

Returning to the OG Demon's Souls it was neat how it's more like a survival horror game than any of the others. Someone ripping off Souls games should try to go for that.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Apr 11, 2023

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

HaB posted:

My technique for finding something to do on my first run was just to open the map, find something which looks interesting, drop a marker and figure out how to get there.

For more specific tips: each named area, like a name which appears when you first enter it, has at least one of each of these things: a cave, a catacomb, a ruins and an evergaol. (Not 100% certain on the evergaol, but I think that's correct). Finding and beating each one will have a lot of benefits. You'll get upgrade mats, Ashes, Ash upgrade mats, etc. Sometimes a spell or a weapon.

All of those things are typically tuned for the player to be around the same level/upgrade level range that the rest of the area has. The ruins is usually at the bottom of the range (since it's often just a boss fight), followed by the cave, then the catacombs, which is closer to the top of the range. Evergaols are sort of hit and miss. Some of them are quite easy once you figure out the trick, and others are ridiculously hard. No harm in making the attempt, since you will respawn right by it, and your dropped runes will be outside it- meaning you lose nothing but time. But don't feel bad about having to come back later to actually beat it.

Another tip I didn't see anyone mention: You mentioned you had gone underground and struggled a bit without magic. If you were in a catacomb, most of the enemies typically found in them- stone imps, skeletons, are very strong against damage from bladed weapons. It's never a bad idea to grab a Club or some source of Striking damage for those situations. You might find that area a lot easier with a Striking weapon (clubs, maces, etc.), if you were using a blade the first time. Highly recommend 2-handing it, and making heavy use of the jumping R2.

But in general head in whatever direction the golden beams are pointing, young Tarnished. Do you doubt the Guidance of Grace?

I think the underground area is the well, which is rad but not required for anything.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
If I got a bunch of somber 5s then I got a couple somber 8s then 7s and now I'm seeing somber 6s it means I'm doing things terribly out of order right?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

nah. there is no order. you can restore it at the end of the game if you want to

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Snazzy Frocks posted:

If I got a bunch of somber 5s then I got a couple somber 8s then 7s and now I'm seeing somber 6s it means I'm doing things terribly out of order right?

no the loot distribution is hella weird.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Yeah I'd get my weapons stuck at one level forever because I couldn't find any level 6 stones or whatever.

Part of the endgame experience I'm having is finding rando caves I missed the first time then plowing my massively over-leveled character through them like the demigod she's become. Taking out a boss in 3 hits is a kind of fun even if I missed out on the real challenge. Of course this is Fromsoft so if I'm careless enemies 100 levels lower than me can still gently caress me up pretty bad.

This game is so huge I feel no shame in using the wiki a lot because there's useful stuff I'd never find on my own.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Omnomnomnivore posted:

This game is so huge I feel no shame in using the wiki a lot because there's useful stuff I'd never find on my own.

looking at you, sellia hideaway

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think they *tried* to distribute the weapon upgrade mats relative to the difficulty/soul value of areas. But that's obviously not a strict guideline you should follow, except when you need specific upgrade materials you have to kinda know where to go lol.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

SHISHKABOB posted:

I think they *tried* to distribute the weapon upgrade mats relative to the difficulty/soul value of areas. But that's obviously not a strict guideline you should follow, except when you need specific upgrade materials you have to kinda know where to go lol.

I didn't know what Gloveworts looked like so I ran out of Grave Glovewort [1] and was unable to upgrade normal spirit ashes until extremely late in the game. I think I was at Farum Azula until I found more. I found the bearing bells for all the other ones but I had no normal spirit ashes upgraded because I didn't have any [1].

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Snazzy Frocks posted:

With the Elden Ring shattered (by someone (or some thing)) the natural order of game and power progression is also broken.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Gologle posted:

With the Elden Ring shattered (by someone (or some thing)) the natural order of game and power progression is also broken.

Looks like someone hasn't been paying attention to the lore. :rolleyes:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Ariong posted:

Fashion Ring is canon

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ariong posted:

Powerful "writing flavor text late at night" energy

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Recently started a new game after not touching it since my new game plus run back in May of last year. I've forgotten enough to make it kind of fresh again, but am still familiar with the world, which is pretty nice.
I want to take this character through the game and be ready for the expansion when it hits. Started as a Samurai. I'm only level 20 ish and have been putting stats into vigor and endurance since I know I'll need those no matter what style I settle on.

My first playthrough, I respecced several times and tried a variety of weapon styles. This time I'm certainly down to do that again, but I'm really having a hard time deciding which direction to go until I get to the point where I can respec. I found a second Uchigatana and kind of want to pair it with my starting one, but don't really want to deal with needing all those smithing stones on a dual wield build, plus I played a good chunk of my first playthrough with Rivers of Blood, so it feels really similar.

I'm thinking I'll start pumping strength soon and go big smashy smashy. I barely touched magic and for some reason am still not interested in it even though I usually gravitate toward mages in most rpgs.

Anyway, it's been really fun playing again, I'd forgotten how awesome this game is.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Ariong posted:

Ugh seeing arpg stat rolls on Souls gear is so cursed

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

SHISHKABOB posted:

They definitely did, with the odd out-of-depth item for variety. But the regular smithing stones are just scarce enough that it doesn’t always work well. If you’re not doing all the mines, you better be looting everything else or you’re gonna get roadblocked. Number one DLC wish for me is they add as many regular smithing stones again at every level. Or a chalice dungeon generator which lets me roll a new mine from the same sort of prefab blocks the maps already use in exchange for various gross craft items

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

latest Tarnished Archeologist is up

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
uh, not 100% sure about some of these gender conclusions

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Yeah I'd get my weapons stuck at one level forever because I couldn't find any level 6 stones or whatever.

Part of the endgame experience I'm having is finding rando caves I missed the first time then plowing my massively over-leveled character through them like the demigod she's become. Taking out a boss in 3 hits is a kind of fun even if I missed out on the real challenge. Of course this is Fromsoft so if I'm careless enemies 100 levels lower than me can still gently caress me up pretty bad.

On my playthrough, I somehow never made it to Weeping Peninsula until after I visited Liurnia, Atlas, and Caelid. When I finally visited and cleared it, it was like a nice little vacation. I felt like I was playing a normal game!

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
I'm (still) working my way through my first playthrough and gently caress the Fire Giant to hell and back. There's a lot of Bed of Chaos level nonsense where I have no idea what the camera is going to do if I decide to lock on, which is the only way to damage him in the second phase. Unless I want to smack him in the thigh, which deals significantly decreased damage and forbids the camera from letting me see when he's telegraphing his elbow drops. Not to mention the countless times he's been standing on a rock or whatever in his first phase and his only weak point is awkwardly hovering ten feet off the ground and is out of my reach.

Elden Ring has been 10/10 so far and as a person who's terrible at video games I've rarely gotten angry at the game rather than myself whenever I've died, but this feels like enough to make me want to put the game down and never come back.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
You definitely don't need to lock on during phase 2.

IIRC, both the big eye and his hands take increased damage.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

If you've got the means to cast Pest Threads that's also really good, buff it however you can and use your best seal (Clawmark if you're str/fai) and just ride around his feet chain casting it when it's safe. In phase 2 lock on to the eye, stand where he will land so you're at his head, then kill him almost instantly as each thread hits both his head and the eye.

edit - I didn't record myself doing it, but it looks a bit like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5p6TaU5pYE&t=1220s

Pest Threads is wild

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 12, 2023

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
The Fire Giant strat I stumbled into was summoning Tiche and spamming Ranni's dark moon, which I'd just gotten my Int high enough for. Somehow it worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
So I finally reached Godrick and welp. Getting rocked. I am a vagabond.