Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

I think OoT is still drat playable. If anything feels less than modern it's the structure and some of the more obtuse overworld puzzles (like feeding a fish to the whale to get it to open its mouth), but combat (while obviously less refined than anything nowadays) still just *works.*

It's no Super Mario 64 though, that is a game anyone can play today and agree that it's a GOAT contender, it's lost zero of its playability and fun in thirty years.

The absolute lack of air control in SM64 is the roughest part of it now. The early levels still feel great but the later levels that demand perfect jumping make me wish I had a double jump or some ability to shift momentum in the air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I would play OoT 100 times straight before I picked up TP or SS again

Beat TP in a 3 day grind since it was not my copy of the game I was playing, so I never got a ton of time to dwell on how empty things got...but on the flip side there's not a ton I remember aside from like one or two dungeons. Nice final battles though, I'll give it that.

SS I was extremely hyped for but it's probably the game I dislike the most in the franchise, including Spirit Tracks. The fights at the Sealed Grounds were unfun, I ran into a lot of glitches with them, and overall the game wasted an opening I was pretty jazzed about.

OoT, especially as I'm in the middle of another N64 playthrough currently, has more backtracking than I remember but I've still been enjoying each dungeon as it comes. I am about to hit the OG water temple again, though, so gimme some time and I'll let ya know if I turn on the game.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It's no Super Mario 64 though, that is a game anyone can play today and agree that it's a GOAT contender, it's lost zero of its playability and fun in thirty years.

I watched some SM64 runs last week and it's just so drat impressive what they pulled off. The dialog and beating the player over the head with the mechanics is a little heavy handed but I also get it for the time and importance of that title.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Deceptive Thinker posted:

I don't think I would ever play OoT again without the QOL and enhancements from the 3DS version or Ship of Harkinian at the very least

Can you do all the QOL stuff with none of the randomization with Ship of Harkinian?

I'd be willing to try that out

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Can you do all the QOL stuff with none of the randomization with Ship of Harkinian?

I'd be willing to try that out

yeah you can, the randomizer isn't the main feature

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The best way to play OoT period. Has every little thing I wanted to tweak before I ever knew I wanted it to be.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I absolutely despise the camera in SM64 and I’ve never beaten it for that reason. Everything past Galaxy though, hell yeah.

Three beasts down in my BotW play through but I still have tons left to do. I just finished that crazy thunder shribe quests and completed my second stamina circle. I got too close to a white Lynel who owned me before I could run away even though I had no weapons drawn. Their aggro range is insane.

Haven’t messed with dragons left, still got the camel to finish. Lynels still scare the poo poo out of me, along with anything else bigger than a Moblin or Lizardos. Monsters are so drat tall in this game.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Ocarina of Time was great. You could argue Link to the Past doesn't hold up for the same reasons. I can beat that in a weekend because I know every puzzle.

The deku tree dungeon stumped (get it?) me as a kid because it didn't occur to me to burn the cobwebs because I didn't think it was possible. Even though you do stuff like that in every previous game. If all else fails try fire. And it was awesome to beat the first dungeon. Don't let current Zelda games negate your feelings of Zeldas past.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I'd say out of all Zelda games to date, LtTP holds up the best and it's not a close call. Games like Shovel Knight proved that those pixel games are essentially timeless if designed well enough.

That entire generation of pixel era Zelda games are pretty much all universally regarded. Awakening, Oracles, Minish Cap, etc, once the handhelds shifted to 3D and we got the Wind Waker sequels the magic just vanished. I've never seen anyone speak highly of Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks.

Link Between Worlds was released 10 years ago, and since then aside from Triforce Heroes there weren't any 'small' Zelda games released that weren't remakes.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Wish I could play link between worlds. I've never had a 3DS.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Ocarina of Time was great. You could argue Link to the Past doesn't hold up for the same reasons. I can beat that in a weekend because I know every puzzle.

The deku tree dungeon stumped (get it?) me as a kid because it didn't occur to me to burn the cobwebs because I didn't think it was possible. Even though you do stuff like that in every previous game. If all else fails try fire. And it was awesome to beat the first dungeon. Don't let current Zelda games negate your feelings of Zeldas past.

Yeah, I did so much of LttP before managing to finish the desert dungeon because I didn't realise what torches were or that you could light them, so I couldn't figure out how to get into the boss room there. So I went and did everything else I could, just not with that amulet...

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

https://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-going-after-zelda-tears-of-the-kingdom-art-book-leaker/

lol.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Gonna have to disagree on this - I adored SM64 at launch, it was the first game I ever 100%ed, but I tried to get back into it when I got 3D All-Stars and after the nostalgia rush of the first few worlds wore off I just could not get back into it. It’s currently sitting at 30ish stars in my copy of 3dAS, where it will likely stay forever.

Galaxy, on the other hand…:kimchi:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

External Organs posted:

I love the 3DS and genuinely mourn the fact that we'll probably never get a "proper" dedicated handheld like it again. I even liked its 3d gimmick, but it just had a great feel to it in general (particularly the larger later version). The Switch isn't really portable in the same way; you can't put it in your pocket and it just has a very different feel to it in general.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Gonna have to disagree on this - I adored SM64 at launch, it was the first game I ever 100%ed, but I tried to get back into it when I got 3D All-Stars and after the nostalgia rush of the first few worlds wore off I just could not get back into it. It’s currently sitting at 30ish stars in my copy of 3dAS, where it will likely stay forever.

Galaxy, on the other hand…:kimchi:

64>Galaxy, no question. Where Galaxy rewards your ability to go in a straight line real good, 64 rewards your ability to explore every corner of its stages.

Also, Galaxy has that stage where you have to bomb all those garbage piles, which blows and is harder than any FromSoft in the worst possible way, and 64 doesn't, which I think puts it even further ahead.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Hogama posted:

Guardians just have a "gently caress this poo poo I'm outta here" subroutine, it seems.

https://i.imgur.com/TVsa0B9.mp4

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

External Organs posted:

I went out of my way to get it (bought it on eBay, as opposed to locally as part of a lot on Marketplace like most of my purchases). It's... OK, but for whatever reason I kinda bounced off it after a couple hours. I was only a casual LttP enjoyer though, so that may be my problem.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

my parents took away OOT shortly after i beat the forest temple because i guess they thought i was going to start believing the hylian creation myth instead of the bible

if i ever get around to getting an N64 controller i might try and actually finish it. playing N64 games with a modern game-pad just feels weird to me

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I can't remember Link Between Worlds much, but I do remember that I enjoyed it a lot and quickly finished it, which is a big deal because I'm extremely bad about finishing games, especially when they don't have very strong "page-turner" narratives. So it must have been really good.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Ytlaya posted:

I can't remember Link Between Worlds much, but I do remember that I enjoyed it a lot and quickly finished it, which is a big deal because I'm extremely bad about finishing games, especially when they don't have very strong "page-turner" narratives. So it must have been really good.

I played it emulated since I don't have/never had a 3DS. It was quick and I finished and deleted it as per my unwritten agreement with Nintendo of America. :911:

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Ytlaya posted:

Same. It's one of the 3 Zelda games I've ever finished (along with TP and BotW)

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

I never got further than entering the dark world in alttp, just getting ADHD about it and bouncing off. A link between worlds felt like a juicer remake and really nailed it for me and my 2D-Zelda-wary wife. poo poo was cash money, and I finished that game.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Zelda II is a pretty janky game. with save states it's still bad but without them its literal hell

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I had a friend who had the golden one I think and I was so excited to play it and I tried for way too long at this sleepover and never got very far. It was really weird and frustrating. I got through most of it once with save states way later but just wasn't having fun and was basically following a guide anyway to avoid wandering around and losing interest.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I bet there's a whole second map and they've somehow managed to keep it quiet, eliciting the exact same feeling as I had from discovering the Second Quest in the original

I want to believe

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Antonymous posted:

Zelda II is a pretty janky game. with save states it's still bad but without them its literal hell

Ya know, for kids.

Can't believe that was my dream game for $50 back in the late 80s or early 90s whenever that was. So hard. Eventually did make it to the last level but never put the thought or effort into how to beat it or game the leveling system the way speed runner/game beaters do now.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I just want to say while i dont think its a top ten the minish cap was adorable

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

There’s a pretty good pc version of Zelda II someone made which has great QOL improvements and some extra content

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

In the lead up to TotK I've replayed BoTW and it's Prequel Warriors spinoff, and now I'm working on Minish cap for a traditional Zelda.

It's interesting the game mentions the Picori can mend the Master Sword, makes me really curious if they're gonna show up in TotK considering it has a scrapped idea for tiny people.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Antonymous posted:

I played Zelda II well before I played Zelda I, so it's always the one with which I was most familiar. It's still the only game I ever tried "speedrunning" when I was like 12 -- I think I could beat the first quest in 4.5 hours, and the second in 1:20 because you started maxed out.

It wasn't my cartridge, and we were freaked out when we got to the last castle and ran into Dark Link. Took us a couple days to beat him. The last castle also has a couple huge-rear end fuckin blue slimes that we thought were amazing.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ZeusCannon posted:

I just want to say while i dont think its a top ten the minish cap was adorable

It’s a lot of fun. I’m having a blast with the GBA games on the Switch I hope they release more bangers.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Augus posted:

yeah you can, the randomizer isn't the main feature
What are they? Literally none of them are on their website, save a higher framerate. One feature listed out of gods know how many. I have no idea what this mod does or why I should care. What a terrible website for something so many clearly worked so hard on.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Pixeltendo posted:

In the lead up to TotK I've replayed BoTW and it's Prequel Warriors spinoff, and now I'm working on Minish cap for a traditional Zelda.

It's interesting the game mentions the Picori can mend the Master Sword, makes me really curious if they're gonna show up in TotK considering it has a scrapped idea for tiny people.

my :tinfoil: theory is that the picori are in the game and those green spiral things buildings we've seen are how you shrink yourself. and while you won't be able to explore the entire overworld in mini-mode, it'll still serve (like the sky and maybe underground) as yet another way to expand the map

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Minish Cap one of my favorites so I'd love that. Grounded also did the tiny world thing and it was great. Let Link get small.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm not hopeful, but I really want more tiny shenanigans after replaying Minish Cap a bit ago, it's one of the better gimmicks in the series.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Antonymous posted:

I managed to beat it as a kid, but it wasn't easy. I used my NES Advantage with auto fire to level myself all the way up using the swamp near the second palace that infinitely spawns birds at sword height, then a neighbor kid taught me that if you get into an enemy encounter on the overworld while passing a square that's usually a forced encounter, the game prioritizes the random encounter over the forced one, so you can make it past some really rough parts in Southern Hyrule including the trip to the last palace.

You can get just about anywhere but said palace on one life, so once you're fully leveled, continues aren't a big deal, and once you do get there, you can finally continue there instead of starting at the North Palace.

Iron Knuckles are also extremely vulnerable to jump slashes if you time them right. Your sword should clip through the top of their head and it bypasses their shield every time.

It was my favorite Zelda for ages. The music, the sprawling map, the way the towns full of people made it feel like a whole world was out there...

Zelda 2 rules. It and Goonies II were my go-to games whenever I got sick as a kid, which happened really frequently.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Zelda comes out in about a month!

Y'all ready to FREAK OUT

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
God I hope there's one more gameplay video before launch

Another aonuma video where he's like "today let's take a look at one of the game's dungeons" and does like one room puzzle and maybe a miniboss but we learn from the video that there's many dungeons in the game and they're all uniquely themed

And then 1 or 2 weeks out we get a really cool story trailer that gives away nothing but amplifies everyone's hype

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I got stuck in the room where you got the slingshot because I didn't see the ladder hanging up on the wall (or I did and didn't put two and two together about what to do about it). I had to wait until the next day to go to the bookstore and read what to do in the player's guide, which I did not buy until I got stuck somewhere else and had to do the same thing again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Hedrigall posted:

God I hope there's one more gameplay video before launch

Another aonuma video where he's like "today let's take a look at one of the game's dungeons" and does like one room puzzle and maybe a miniboss but we learn from the video that there's many dungeons in the game and they're all uniquely themed

And then 1 or 2 weeks out we get a really cool story trailer that gives away nothing but amplifies everyone's hype

I don't want to see anything more before release.
I was sold by the trailers and the gameplay showcase has made me rabid.

I just REALLY hope you get to upgrade battery capacity. It's a safe bet considering the trailer shows Link flying pretty drat high on a square tile.