Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

tokin opposition posted:

People who run buy nothing groups and other no-cost furniture donation things are a) braver than the troops b) natural comrades and c) responsible for about half of my furniture at a conservative guess. Been a real lifesaver at times.

(The other half were personal gifts and taking things from the chrb, dumpsters, or work.)

love those comrades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

this seems sustainable

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

"Look, if I don't drive the housing market off the edge of a cliff for the sake of this quarter's profits then somebody else will."

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
friend trying to buy a house (computer touchers :shakefist:) and has been owned multiple times when a buyer paid like 20% over asking in cash. lol again

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
They can buy a house, they just can’t buy a house in a neighborhood they want to live in.

Big difference.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
My buddy started making deep 6 figgies and even with parental help, he still had to go condo. Couldn't afford a house in LA, making 2-3x as much as me lol.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

lol I'm going to die in poverty

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Remulak posted:

They can buy a house, they just can’t buy a house in a neighborhood they want to live in.

Big difference.

Eh, in LA that 10 mile difference can be an hour+ extra commute. gently caress I just checked out Bell Gardens, a place notoriously lead contaminated by Exide and other dirty industrial nearby and houses are going for over 500k.

That just leads to a dumb line of argument, "hmm, you say you can't afford a house off your 6 figure salary, yet you refuse to live on a superfund site and/or Ohio for your job in LA/NY"

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
if you own a house you deserve an hour+ commute

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

mycomancy posted:

I don't believe you. And even if I did, you still support organizations that would see people like my daughter harmed because they're not cis hetero (my daughter identifies as bi/pan), so why would I ever hold solidarity with you?

Gosh you really do know a man's heart, don'tcha?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I would also like a home

even a not-tiny-condo would suffice for this gamer

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BrotherJayne posted:

Gosh you really do know a man's heart, don'tcha?

For something you dug up from like 6 days ago this really isn't a great burn

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

tokin opposition posted:

cars ftw

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Don't live in LA. Simple.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

capitalism.png: don't live

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

hailthefish posted:

capitalism.png: don't.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
part of the reason Amtrak's suddenly starting to renovate and reopen train lines that were closed in the 80s after they became money sinks after airline deregulation is because now it's starting to become economically viable to sell commuter passes to people who work in, say, Manhattan but live in northeastern PA just because housing prices are so blown up everywhere within two hours of major employment centers

The Chairman has issued a correction as of 14:12 on Apr 11, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

what Amtrak train exists between north east Pa and Manhattan. I guess you could drive to New Jersey and get on NJ transit ?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I would happily ride a train every morning to work and never own a car again if I could. The best I could do right now is live in an apartment literally across the street from where I work so it's a 5 minute walk from my front door to my desk.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

reveal yourself

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

euphronius posted:

what Amtrak train exists between north east Pa and Manhattan. I guess you could drive to New Jersey and get on NJ transit ?
checked amtrak dot com and there's a direct Philadelphia to NYC so I assume there's some kind of local train to Philly and a transfer?

if you're in Pittsburgh the only route they show is to go PIT -> DC -> NYC so I guess there's not a Pittsburgh-Philadelphia train so maybe local trains continue to flat out not exist, because if there isn't one of those what even is there

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

euphronius posted:

none yet but they're pushing forward reopening abandoned track to have a Scranton to Manhattan train in the next few years

I think there's an Allentown to Manhattan train in earlier stages now too

The Chairman has issued a correction as of 17:08 on Apr 11, 2023

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Turns out all you needed to do all along to get trains back to America was engineer dozens of calamitous events worldwide, Voltroned together to make trains slightly more profitable.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Shame Boy posted:

For something you dug up from like 6 days ago this really isn't a great burn

Shut the gently caress up

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

BrotherJayne posted:

For something that took you 10 hours to come up with this really isn't a great burn

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Koishi Komeiji posted:

For something that took you 10 hours to come up with this really isn't a great burn

CHRIST! BESET UPON FROM ALL SIDES BY MY POSTING ENEMIES!

I SHAN'T CORNCOB GRACEFULLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

tokin opposition posted:

Keep trying you'll get it next time kiddo

May your thoughts and prayers give wind to my wings :prayfrog:

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

BrotherJayne posted:

Keep trying you'll get it next time kiddo

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Paladinus posted:

Don't live in LA. Simple.

They don't, they live in Rialto or something like that way out in San Bernardino County and commute in. I once worked with someone who did this from Redlands, which is 2 hours away on a weekend and a solid 3 on a weekday. Just utter clown poo poo to live in a smoggy sclerotic suburban wasteland.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
The folks from that article actually live in LA city proper, but yeah commuter brain is real. Also because of it, in Southern California even the lovely exurbs where you used to able to get affordable housing 2+ hours away from work are seeing ridiculous price booms too.

My dad still curses that he left money on the table selling a house in the San Bernadino mountains at a far lower appreciation in 2006 than if he'd held it and sold it now. The same way if he'd just put all of his money on red, then black, then red two more times, he'd have been able to retire from a night at the roulette table.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

tokin opposition posted:

I have no commute :smug:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

north east Pa is closer to Manhattan than Philadelphia

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Coolness Averted posted:

The folks from that article actually live in LA city proper, but yeah commuter brain is real. Also because of it, in Southern California even the lovely exurbs where you used to able to get affordable housing 2+ hours away from work are seeing ridiculous price booms too.

My dad still curses that he left money on the table selling a house in the San Bernadino mountains at a far lower appreciation in 2006 than if he'd held it and sold it now. The same way if he'd just put all of his money on red, then black, then red two more times, he'd have been able to retire from a night at the roulette table.

yeah we bought our house in Big Bear during the pandemic for $195 now it’s up to $360

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

spacemang_spliff posted:

I have no commute :smug:

I see living at the dick sucking factory has it perks.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
The pay isn't great but it's more of a vocation than a job

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Koishi Komeiji posted:

I see living at the dick sucking factory has it perks.

it's not so much a factory as it is a distribution center

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

euphronius posted:

Near-future plans include Scranton to NYC service.

AKA the “Schrute Route”.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://www.wsj.com/articles/next-wave-of-remote-work-is-about-outsourcing-jobs-overseas-54af39ba

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

:guillotine:

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

The Nastier Nate posted:

reveal yourself

I honestly think the sentiment is pretty common at this point.