Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf

No, you don't understand, That's Wonderful, Isn't It.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU6U2B4VBqQ
(Max Headroom, Dieties, S02E02, airdate Sep 25, 1987 - a church sells access to digitised copies of loved ones, but with the processing power way under-spec because the parishioners don't notice)

At least now we back to people stealing ideas from some proper 80's cyperpunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
For people who might be interested in this kind of thing, I suggest doing a life history interview with your parents and loved ones instead. It'll help you to understand your position in the process of your family's history and leave a legacy for future generations. The conversation involved could help both you and your parents.

MixMasterMalaria fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 10, 2023

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Wasn't AI synthesis of a dead relative a plot point in one of the Bioshock games?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

I have a slew of my mom's voice mail messages saved as separate files (she passed away in 2016).

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

VideoGameVet posted:

I have a slew of my mom's voice mail messages saved as separate files (she passed away in 2016).

I also choose this goons dead mom.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Why would I recreate other people if I can have the ultimate echo chamber of endless versions of myself?

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Why would I recreate other people if I can have the ultimate echo chamber of endless versions of myself?

<---- If I could pick anybody to spend time around, why the hell would I choose this rear end in a top hat?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Yeah I’m pretty sure most people wouldn’t get along with replicas of themselves if they existed. It’s more likely that people will generate AI waifus or yesmen than, you know, themselves.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Karia posted:

^---- If I could pick anybody to spend time around, why the hell would I choose this rear end in a top hat?
ftfy

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

laserghost posted:

Wasn't AI synthesis of a dead relative a plot point in one of the Bioshock games?

Also in Caprica, the prequel to the BSG reboot.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I would simply use that technology to make Jonathan Frakes my dad

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Professor Beetus posted:

Making anime characters people's waifus.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Professor Beetus posted:

We already have this technology:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uC8mRy2p9w

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
they should just make an nft of their loved one, and then kill the loved one.

oh and make an nft of themseleves so a non jailed them can enjoy their nft of the loved one.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Ready Player One inches ever closer to reality... I cant wait til I can hang out with Astro Boy and Scooby Doo and Thomas Magnum. Just me and my boys, yanno?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah but what if you could make new better digital parents that acted exactly how you promoted them to?

I would rather do this for my wife, kids, brother and sister just in case they get hit by a bus.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

FlapYoJacks posted:

I would rather do this for my wife, kids, brother and sister just in case they get hit by a bus.

I cant wait to haunt my friends and dear family.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

FlapYoJacks posted:

Now that's a novel, a parent finds out they have a terminal illness so they decide to spend time and effort on providing enough information to an AI such that it could perfectly imitate them and then they're, "deployed" to a remote research post in Antarctica or deep in a jungle or on a spaceship and carry on communication with their spouse and most importantly, kids, in order to be a part of their kids lives as they grow up and learn while the parent had been dead for years.

The reverse is more of a parent who is deeply traumatized by the real life loss of a child and then immerses themselves into a virtual environment where their re-created kid learns and grows while the parent withdraws from reality, pretending everything is fine.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
That reminds me of this short film we watched in school, first time I've thought of it in forever. The only things I remembered were that she came in a stylized coffin like the robeasts in Voltron and the uh interestingly positioned beverage dispensing scene at 20m10s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZsnpgtYvHs

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

HelloSailorSign posted:

The reverse is more of a parent who is deeply traumatized by the real life loss of a child and then immerses themselves into a virtual environment where their re-created kid learns and grows while the parent withdraws from reality, pretending everything is fine.
I think I know people on Facebook that are basically doing this.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Neo Rasa posted:

That reminds me of this short film we watched in school, first time I've thought of it in forever. The only things I remembered were that she came in a stylized coffin like the robeasts in Voltron and the uh interestingly positioned beverage dispensing scene at 20m10s.

Or in musical form,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLv4t7HWJ28

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Reminds me of beta-level constructs from Alistair Reynold's Revelation Space. They're basically just a character sheet along with a database of recordings from the original person paired with a voiced projection.

I suppose you could do a lovely version of this with current character sheets and an Elevenlabs voice.

The results will be ghoulish and weird, though.

I remember that, a very cool concept. And the main beta character in that novel was an extra-super-duper beta level where the original had basically recorded his entire life to an extreme degree or detail 24/7 for said purpose.

Very cool concept. Too bad everything Reynolds does is a cool concept that then goes nowhere rewarding or satisfying.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

HelloSailorSign posted:

Now that's a novel, a parent finds out they have a terminal illness so they decide to spend time and effort on providing enough information to an AI such that it could perfectly imitate them and then they're, "deployed" to a remote research post in Antarctica or deep in a jungle or on a spaceship and carry on communication with their spouse and most importantly, kids, in order to be a part of their kids lives as they grow up and learn while the parent had been dead for years.

Jor-El already did this by putting himself into crystals so that his son would have guidance when sent to the planet orbiting the yellow sun.

Do try and keep up.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

HelloSailorSign posted:

lmao Molyneux tried to sell this for Kinect, even had a suitably creepy code name. but it ended on a staged demo

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

When you sign up for the holograndpa service, you'll also be signing away all likeness rights for the deceased. Feel bad for the kid that has to sit through their dead grandfather's hologram being repurposed to shill dick pills at the subway station, on loop.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Ruffian Price posted:

lmao Molyneux tried to sell this for Kinect, even had a suitably creepy code name. but it ended on a staged demo

Aaaah good old Project Milo.

The best part of that was how it was never even intended to be anything like how he described it. Jist an interactive menu for loading your other XBox games/media. So it wasn't even his typical overpromising /underdelivering it was just some real straight up bullshit. I think that was a real turning point because just about everyone saw right through that immediately.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

HelloSailorSign posted:

Literally the plot of Don’t Worry Darling

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I think I know people on Facebook that are basically doing this.

How many of their kids are actually dead and haven't just severed from their lovely parents?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
The AI sextchat app Replika literally had this as an origin story. The person who ended up creating the app lost a friend to some tragic accident, and she in turn trained an AI off of all of their text messages and emails.

This one is the version of the app that's just of the dead friend:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/roman-mazurenko/id958946383

idk how i'd feel about this if i was that guy, but then again id be dead so i wouldn't care i guess.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I feel like there's absolutely no way you don't end up severely regretting that down the line.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

just link to Lina in the thread title imo

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Yeah, you digitize your dad and then you have his replica quoting Fox News at your forever.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
A whole page and nobody mentions that one black mirror episode? hosed up

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Soiled Meat
This will just be Rimmerworld and Me2. Hard pass.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

woke kaczynski posted:

A whole page and nobody mentions that one black mirror the Twilight Zone episode "I Sing the Body Electric"? hosed up

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Guys the "Be Right Back" episode of Black Mirror aired 10 years ago and already covers all of this.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Cactrot posted:

When you sign up for the holograndpa service, you'll also be signing away all likeness rights for the deceased. Feel bad for the kid that has to sit through their dead grandfather's hologram being repurposed to shill dick pills at the subway station, on loop.

Seems more effective if holograndpa were advertising directly to you. Like youre talking about cars and it brings up that it can get you a great deal on car insurance if you sign up now. And it will do this every 5 minutes unless you pay for the premium version.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

The Dave posted:

Guys the "Be Right Back" episode of Black Mirror aired 10 years ago and already covers all of this.

Marjorie Prime features the same idea (I love that movie).

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Marjorie Prime features the same idea (I love that movie).

For a second I read that as Metroid Prime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

The AI sextchat app Replika literally had this as an origin story. The person who ended up creating the app lost a friend to some tragic accident, and she in turn trained an AI off of all of their text messages and emails.

This one is the version of the app that's just of the dead friend:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/roman-mazurenko/id958946383

idk how i'd feel about this if i was that guy, but then again id be dead so i wouldn't care i guess.

Speaking of Replika, IIRC they drastically reduced its capabilities recently as a blanket attempt to stop people from sexting with it I think so it could stay on iOS etc.