Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Great Beer posted:

RuPaul: The Anime?
Jojo is extremely drag (over-the-top stylings, wild outfits, eye-catching makeup, and a ton of over exaggerated poses struck by masc characters that are directly ripped from women's fashion magazines), so in some sense very yes

MokBa posted:

The only thing they should bring back from Other M is Anthony, but make him full Jojo.
:hmmyes:

his Stand is his shoulder-mounted plasma gun, including "don't die from being dropped in magma" retcon/fakeout powers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Ugh, I'm finding Other M a real slog to get through. Aside from the awful story and everything Adam, it doesn't play like any other Metroid game either. No drops from enemies? No way to restore health between save rooms? I guess the combat is interesting, but I prefer the gun play of every other Metroid title.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Ugh, I'm finding Other M a real slog to get through. Aside from the awful story and everything Adam, it doesn't play like any other Metroid game either. No drops from enemies? No way to restore health between save rooms? I guess the combat is interesting, but I prefer the gun play of every other Metroid title.

Good news! The combat stops being interesting when you realize that you can smash the d-pad repeatedly to make yourself invincible.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

ExcessBLarg! posted:

You can do the emergency concentration thing to gain a little health and ammo if you're in a pinch. I guess Samus can conjure missles out of nothing

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Welp I did it, I paid eBay prices for the Figma Metroid Prime 3 Samus figure :rodimus:

Still working my way through Prime 2, I just took a break because I was sick. Im still kinda getting used to the motion controls.

I’ve also been playing coop Federation Force, that’s a pretty good time! I like how varied the missions are; I’ve been playing dedicated team Medic by using the Metroid Amiibo skin that lets me carry like 25 repair packs so I can just dole them out like candy for everyone.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Reposting this here in the Metroid thread that I forgot about :

Vintersorg posted:

Finally picked back up on Metroid Dread - looks like I was right at the end as I had the Screw Ball. And basically just hit a brick wall with Raven Beak. Looked up the ending and I guess that's it. It's insanely, to me, very twitchy and too fast for my old brain. Overall the game is really, really good - the movement and style was amazing. I just wish some of the bosses weren't as punishing. I did see there is ROOKIE mode tho when it patched it, lol.

To expand on it - the big issue was getting pancaked on the wall with his super dash movie. The beam, screen thing and the gravity bomb are cake of course but he just fucks me up with how fast he is.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Rookie mode reduces damage from bosses and also increases energy/ammo replenished from pickups. You could easily just tank the Parry Dash and the Shinespark at that point if you're completely incapable of reacting to the tells, assuming you even have any motivation to play the game again.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Vintersorg posted:

To expand on it - the big issue was getting pancaked on the wall with his super dash movie. The beam, screen thing and the gravity bomb are cake of course but he just fucks me up with how fast he is.

Is that the counterable one? If you find that the window is unreasonably small, you might be having latency issues rather than slowbrain. A friend of mine thought it was completely impossible to beat Raven Beak until they tried it on a TV that didn't have 220ms of input delay.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Finished Remastered today and it ruled. The visuals were awesome even on handheld and the music was somehow better than I remembered. Hoping that Prime 4 comes sooner rather than later

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I don't know what my expectations for Metroid prime 4 even are now.

The prime series had this action adventure sci fi style, but the main Metroid games have bent harder towards horror. If prime 4 dropped that, or fusion/dread's tough as nails rapid pace boss battles, I think I'd miss them.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I think the biggest question is will Samus trudge around in a first person adventure, or will she be quick and spry in a first person action game

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Honestly I hope Prime 4 is third person, though I’ll be very surprised if it is. Samus really deserves a good 3D game where she gets to move around the environment like an acrobat instead of a tank. Returnal was basically roguelike 3D Metroid and I’d love to see what Retro and Nintendo could do in those parameters.

But I’ll be very happy either way. We just all have our dream games we want to exist, and mine is a third person 3D Metroid, which still has never been made, because Other M isn’t real and it can’t hurt us.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I think the biggest question is will Samus trudge around in a first person adventure, or will she be quick and spry in a first person action game

Depends on what you mean by quick and spry, since shinesparking in first person seems like a nightmare.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Depends on what you mean by quick and spry, since shinesparking in first person seems like a nightmare.

If retro is willing to shift to third-person for shinespark like they did for the screw attack then I could see it working.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CuddleCryptid posted:

First person screw attack.

Okay so with the Super Mario Bros movie making serious money, let’s talk about what has definitely crossed some Nintendo execs’ minds at some point: a Metroid movie

In an ideal world, I’d want it to treat Samus being a woman as a legitimate twist. Yes gamers know what’s up, but Metroid isn’t really something that’s permeated casual pop culture so I think the vast majority of casual audiences would legit get caught off-guard by it (assuming news outlets don’t spoil the poo poo out of it, which would be trivially easy to do just by using pronouns).

The problem with this is, in order to maintain the “twist” you either can’t have Samus talk at all, or her voice needs to be “modulated” when she’s wearing the helmet so she sounds masculine until the helmet comes off.

I think locking the camera to a “2D” angle for part of a big setpiece and maybe even throwing in a first-person bit like the Doom movie did would be some easy fanservice that also has the potential to be visually interesting and memorable.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
every young person knows metroid is gril because of smash bros.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I want Prime 4 to have a really good interconnected map like 1 again.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Yes, please. Talon IV felt like a place.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Less shine spark olympics too….

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Vintersorg posted:

Less shine spark olympics too….

You don't even want to see the poo poo Zero Mission asked you to do.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Nothing says "interconnected" like "elevator that goes up from underground magma caverns to the North Pole"

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Bleck posted:

Nothing says "interconnected" like "elevator that goes up from underground magma caverns to the North Pole"

Metroid Prime: the orignal Dark Souls 2

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Bleck posted:

Got news for you about what's going on deep underneath Antarctica.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Just Andi Now posted:

Got news for you about what's going on deep underneath Antarctica.
There's a lift down to the top of a windmill?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MokBa posted:

Honestly I hope Prime 4 is third person, though I’ll be very surprised if it is. Samus really deserves a good 3D game where she gets to move around the environment like an acrobat instead of a tank. Returnal was basically roguelike 3D Metroid and I’d love to see what Retro and Nintendo could do in those parameters.

But I’ll be very happy either way. We just all have our dream games we want to exist, and mine is a third person 3D Metroid, which still has never been made, because Other M isn’t real and it can’t hurt us.

The whole brand of the Prime games (other than Pinball) is that they're first person. Wanting a 3D third person Metroid with halfway decent controls makes sense, but wanting Metroid Prime to be that game feels like wanting the next mainline Pokemon to get rid of all that "catching" nonsense.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
You wouldn't even have to ditch first-person to increase the mobility of the character - games like Titanfall 2 and the modern Doom games are examples of how they could integrate more actiony-/skill-heavy elements into first-person Metroid.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I kind of like tank samus

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Writing "Samus with CoD style tac sprint and reticle bloom" and making a Faustian deal so that those words can never be used again.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

cheetah7071 posted:

I kind of like tank samus

Agreed. I’ve always liked the prime series better than the 2d ones and the more twitchy action the 2d ones get the less interested I am. I bounced off of Dread pretty hard when I tried it out.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Acrobatic, deft movement is what makes the worlds of Zero Mission, Super, and Dread special and tolerable to navigate back and forth. One of the principle lasting criticisms of Prime 1 is trudging through Magmoor caverns and refighting Chozo ghosts, and later Prime games become increasingly linear and siloed in order to reduce "empty" backtracking.

A Titanfall-esque wall-running, air-dashing approach could allow Prime 4 to depict a contiguous world where backtracking is viscerally fun because the platforming is fun and expressive, rather than a matter-of-fact process.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I'd just not want that at all.

Like the really deliberate pace of Metroid Prime makes it stand out amid the sea of increasingly fast boomer shooters that are releasing nowadays.

The lasting criticism of Prime is largely more easily solved by less aggressive enemy respawns, since Samus is relatively mobile in the last stretch between the boost ball and space jump. Broadly in fact, if you just do that and add a system where the morph ball can open doors faster and you're laughing.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Natural 20 posted:

The lasting criticism of Prime is largely more easily solved by less aggressive enemy respawns,
That's an interesting one.

The way respawns work in Prime is an "accidental" consequence of the loading mechanism. Due to the GC's limited RAM, when you enter a new room the game leaves the last room you were in, in memory, so it doesn't have to load it again if you go back to it (also funny issues with door transitions), but as soon as you enter the next new room it unloads the last room you were in. Knowing this, you can exploit "hub" areas a bit by searching one room beyond the hub and can always backtrack to the hub without enemy respawns. Maybe the best example is after defeating the Omega Pirate you can grab the energy tank in the next room, but then go back to the boss room without fission metroids spawning.

Modern systems have enough RAM you could keep track of a better enemy list and decouple respawns from the room loader.

Regarding enemy spawns in general, there's few times where door lock beyond the first encounter with a new enemy type. Since there's a delay between spawns and attacks, especially for things like chozo ghosts, you can just run past them and maybe take a hit or too. You don't have to actually fight everything when just passing through a room. Drones are an exception--I think they always lock doors.

Unrelated, but kind of related, I hate fission metroids. I always get the Artifact of Newborn immediately after obtaining the phazon suit so I have to deal with those pesky fucks as little as possible. It's good to note that in Prime, while projectiles can cross doors, enemies can't. As soon as you cross a door threshold they'll start wandering back to their "home" location. That's helpful for metroids because they only have melee attacks, so you can clear a room, then squat near the door transition into the next room to draw them out and attack them while they can't attack you.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think Prime 4 would definitely be inproved by a more modernised take on the controls and Samus's platforming abilities, but I'd also prefer it if they stick conceptually more to the 'first person adventure' vibes of the originals and not an FPS version of Dread. The greatest thing the Prime games bought to the series was extremely atmospheric and immersive exploration of alien worlds, I don't think it would necessarily benefit from going into a more frantic quasi-character action direction like Dread did, good as that game was

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Sure, but even in my recent run there were instances, like with the Artifact of World chamber where I'd have to repeatedly spawn Chozo ghosts to get through each of the puzzles in the room.

Ignore everything makes a fair bit of sense but when you reenter a room with new weapons or whatever and have angry gribblies trying to munch your face, you kinda have to deal with them before you hit the puzzle that's there.

It also can result in a sort of inertia, where if you beat the enemies and there's a puzzle you can't solve, often you don't want to leave the room and come back later because of the respawns so you sit on a puzzle you can't solve for longer making absolutely sure you can't, if that makes sense.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Chozo ghosts really just needed to be a mini boss.

All the rooms they appear in are good rooms to fight them.

Once.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

You have to fight Chozo Ghosts the first time they appear, as a sort of mini-boss. By the time actually fighting them becomes necessary again - close to the end of the game - you have the X-Ray Visor and enough Super Missiles that beating them shouldn't take more than a few seconds.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I actually didn’t mind the chozo ghosts this time. Overall I died once, in the morph ball maze in the Dynamo room. Got hosed hard by a lack of health drops during the initial run through phazon mines and by the time I got into the power bomb puzzle i was at like….20 health remaining.

Couldn’t get the timing right on the Ridley boost ball move. Felt like a dipshit

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Natural 20 posted:

Sure, but even in my recent run there were instances, like with the Artifact of World chamber where I'd have to repeatedly spawn Chozo ghosts to get through each of the puzzles in the room.
Sure. However each of the puzzles in that room is obviously gated by a beam type, and you know if you have the beam or not. You shouldn't have to waste time in that room figuring out if you "can" do it. Also there's conveniently a missile refill station in the same room.

There's a collectible in the Furnace that you need power bombs for, so that one is fair.

I suppose if it's your first playthrough and you're not expecting the ghosts to show up, and you haven't picked up the x-ray visor yet (and know that it helps with the ghosts) they're probably much more annoying.

I get your general point though and I would be totally fine if they had made the ghosts a one-time mini-boss per room. Honestly, it's more Prime 2 where you're constantly going through the same hub areas and pirate commandos spawn on top of you and it's just better to outrun them.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
The other thing about Metroid Prime and its difficulty is that I first played through the original GC NTSC version which was effectively unfinished given they didn't have fission metroids in the mines and I don't recall that releasing the metroids from quarantine would have them show up in other parts of the mines too. So it was an easier game.

The trilogy version was the first time I had to really deal with those fuckers (instead of outrunning them like in the crater), but apparently that game is straight-up easy mode? I don't know, I played the trilogy version and the remaster both in the past year and I found them to be about the same difficulty-wise. But as a general point I knew not to release the metroids from quarantine until I had both x-ray, plasma, and all the collectibles I could get until that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Chozo Ghosts don't really bother me because nine times out of ten I was already out the door by the time they even finished spawning in. The pirates were more annoying because they would just constantly "ambush" you over and over from the same narrow corridors, requiring you to deal with them in some way. Then you get later on and they start putting the color coded pirates in rooms that require you to spider ball and it is a giant pain to kill them over and over.