Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Black Griffon posted:

Is there a new, cool, sexy way to farm salvaged frigate modules in this update?
Still the same old, fleet expeditions seem to give a ton.

New nanite hotness that seems way too generous:

You can mine a poo poo ton of radiant shards quite easily with a quick exocraft, they refine 1:50 into nanites, inverted mirrors refine 1:95, Hyaline brains 1:260.

You can even farm inverted mirrors from the air and get Hyaline brains from killing corrupted sentinel ships that come to stop you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

swordfish duelist posted:

Huh, guess the permadeath draws a different crowd. I'm actually surprised by that because the randos in this game have always been the most chill people.

Maybe I've been lucky, I never see any hateful speech and multiple times my brother and I have had random people just give us stuff.

yeah the worst ive seen from randos is just the occasional planet or creature given some kind of juvenile fart joke name, which is fine. the ones ive actually interacted with usually just say "nice base" or something and thats about it

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I hope the ship bay to deck warp thing is new and I'm not just finding it now after like, a year.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Powershift posted:

I hope the ship bay to deck warp thing is new and I'm not just finding it now after like, a year.

It was in before this recent update. I only just got back into this a couple weeks ago after like a 2-3 year hiatus. So I don't know exactly how new they are.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

empty galaxies are my least favorite kind so i won't settle in one, i'll have an outpost in a couple for the hell of it but that's about it.

the method i'll be using is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxegUP_Our0

Earwicker posted:

especially now that people don't have to go through them in order. if any base in one of those galaxies is ever included as a "featured" base in the Anomaly then people can just jump there directly so people have spread out a lot more these days

Thanks for the tips! Especially the second thing is kind of obvious, but I keep forgetting it's a possibility, too. :lol:

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Jumping back into this after quite a few updates.
Looks like they fixed a few cheats like chlorine for making money and the Di-Hydrogen jelly one.

Started having a hard time in space fights, but finally figured out that it defaulted to being Tethered now.
Its like dragging a ball on a string through molasses.
Couldnt hit poo poo.

Did they at least fix the bug where if you left things refining while out on a mission and you would come back to find all of your refineries empty?

ElZilcho
Apr 4, 2007

Such an amazing looking game

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

OgNar posted:

Did they at least fix the bug where if you left things refining while out on a mission and you would come back to find all of your refineries empty?

It seems to be much better now, I went to use a refiner and found stuff in it already and was really confused before realizing it was probably left there from the last time I used it months ago

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

NMS is weird because by far and away most of the people you interact with are super chill, but the fact that the barrier to entry on high tier stuff is so trivally low between in game duplication tricks and HG's stance on modding (aka "go hog wild") means there's no impetus to not be an rear end in permadeath and it literally only takes one person to screw up a lot of people's days. Case in point, one of the more recent bugs where people were flying ships into the anomaly and someone was like "anyways I started blasting" and permanently ended the saves of a lot of people who forgot that pvp was default enabled.

I don't think I'd be interested in doing a real permadeath save outside of the ones I already did for cheevos (and imo only the early game is interesting, after a point you're functionally immortal and it's just really constrained inventory management), but now that they have custom difficulty sliders if I ever got the itch I'd probably just do "permadeath in all categories outside of save deletion"-- not just because of the pvp, but because despite loving HG to death I'm still painfully aware they still have some random unexpected "fall through your floor" fuckups where the recovery case is "eh, just die in the void of space, the player will respawn anyways"

permadeath owns and I get really bored playing other modes in expeditions. the inventory limits in particular keep the game from turning into creative mode later on. i back up my save files every now and then in case of catastrophic bug, but the closest I've come to that was spawning outside my ship in space once, which I could fix by reentering the ship and warping.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

OgNar posted:

Started having a hard time in space fights, but finally figured out that it defaulted to being Tethered now.
Its like dragging a ball on a string through molasses.
Couldnt hit poo poo.

Christ. Didn't have a space fight until I grabbed a sentinel ship and thought "oh I guess this is just how they fly", never realized the setting had reverted.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Finally shut Laylaps off. Got tired of its propensity to get directly between you and EVERYTHING you're trying to scan, or shoot at, or just take a look at. Laylaps is the AI buddy version of the pet cat that will attempt to lay on your keyboard the moment you have work to do.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I've found 3 different Corrupted planets. All 3 of them give Interceptors that look like lovely little spaces buses with no wings. I am sad.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

if theres multiple corrupted planets in the same system do they all generate the same ship or is the design unique per planet?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
These were in different systems, sadly.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I'm annoyed you can't put a teleport receiver on the sentinel ships. Seems like a bug, because as far as balance goes it's balanced towards... being annoying?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

if theres multiple corrupted planets in the same system do they all generate the same ship or is the design unique per planet?

Same ship. More opportunities to spawn an S class, technically, I guess, but sentinel appearance seems to be tied to system seed.

I have not yet been able to confirm whether or not it works like derelicts, where the same seed results in the same outcome even across galaxies, since you have to be able to find a system that’s corrupted in multiple galaxies as well

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Black Griffon posted:

I'm annoyed you can't put a teleport receiver on the sentinel ships. Seems like a bug, because as far as balance goes it's balanced towards... being annoying?

tbh that seems like an oversight more than anything

I honestly thought the teleporter was just baked in but I always use my freighter with infinite range anyways

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Been trying to get an A/S sentinel interceptor all day and I've had no luck, but man it's good money. Kill a sentinel capital to get at least 30-40 mill from the resulting interceptor salvage. When you're planetside, destroy enough corrupted sentinels to get one of those locator chits. When you're there, scan for a new ship on planet. Repeat until you wonder if you've gone colorblind.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

tbh that seems like an oversight more than anything

I honestly thought the teleporter was just baked in but I always use my freighter with infinite range anyways

Yeah that usually solves everything, but I don't have the frigate modules for the upgrade on my new save yet.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 11, 2023

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Black Griffon posted:

Been trying to get an A/S sentinel interceptor all day and I've had no luck, but man it's good money. Kill a sentinel capital to get at least 30-40 mill from the resulting interceptor salvage, when you're planetside, destroy enough corrupted sentinel to get one of those locator chits, when you're there, scan for a new ship on planet, repeat until you wonder if you've gone colorblind.

Yeah that usually solves everything, but I don't have the frigate modules for the upgrade on my new save yet.

I've been having a bad run as of late. I found my first A class fighter early on and since then everything has been C and B class.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Black Griffon posted:

Been trying to get an A/S sentinel interceptor all day and I've had no luck, but man it's good money. Kill a sentinel capital to get at least 30-40 mill from the resulting interceptor salvage. When you're planetside, destroy enough corrupted sentinels to get one of those locator chits. When you're there, scan for a new ship on planet. Repeat until you wonder if you've gone colorblind.

I blew tens of thousands of nanites to upgrade to S on mine. Earning the nanites goes faster than gambling on the 2% (I think) odds of spawning an S.

That's the second style of interceptor I found. Black with red and dark purple accents.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

5er posted:

I blew tens of thousands of nanites to upgrade to S on mine. Earning the nanites goes faster than gambling on the 2% (I think) odds of spawning an S.
Same. When you're near credit cap and have a whole machinery in place to churn out stacks of stasis devices, the couple hundred million units you need to warp between outlaw bases, buy up all their suspicious weapons and tech, and flip the contents for nanites is easy to recoup, and getting 75k or so really doesn't take all that long. I found my interceptor at C and had it at S within a couple of play sessions.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Well when you're not near credit cap and don't have a whole machinery in place to churn out stacks of stasis devices, the couple hundred million units you need to warp between outlaw bases, buy up all their suspicious weapons and tech, and flip the contents for nanites is not so easy to recoup, and getting 75k or so takes longer.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Giant Ethicist posted:

Same. When you're near credit cap and have a whole machinery in place to churn out stacks of stasis devices, the couple hundred million units you need to warp between outlaw bases, buy up all their suspicious weapons and tech, and flip the contents for nanites is easy to recoup, and getting 75k or so really doesn't take all that long. I found my interceptor at C and had it at S within a couple of play sessions.

And here's me melting down shards and scanning animals like a fool when I could have been arms dealing!

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Apr 11, 2023

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Black Griffon posted:

Well when you're not near credit cap and don't have a whole machinery in place to churn out stacks of stasis devices, the couple hundred million units you need to warp between outlaw bases, buy up all their suspicious weapons and tech, and flip the contents for nanites is not so easy to recoup, and getting 75k or so takes longer.

Sure, and I apologize if I sounded flippant - but I do think that buying and flipping suspicious arms and tech packets is an efficient way of getting nanites, if you have any meaningful income-generation tools. Heck, even if you don't, salvaging and melting down another interceptor will get you 30 or 40 million units or more, plus a few hundred nanites from the starship components you get from it, and is a pretty fun gameplay loop to boot. And that's enough to buy a couple hundred suspicious tech/arms packets, each of which will net you on average 100-200 nanites from the suspicious module in it.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Yeah I'm just poking fun, no worries. There's really nothing to worry about in this game anyway and we all make our own grinds. If I wanted to I could cheat myself into infinite everything very easily, but it's all about finding the grind that feels interesting and rewarding.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

Yeah I'm just poking fun, no worries. There's really nothing to worry about in this game anyway and we all make our own grinds. If I wanted to I could cheat myself into infinite everything very easily, but it's all about finding the grind that feels interesting and rewarding.

On a related note, I can't find a rare underground animal to finish off a planet for the nanite bonus and it's loving killing me. I've tried the save/reload trick, I've tried putting down bait, nothing works for those fuckers.

EDIT: also, my plan to have an entire squadron of yellow exotic fighters proceeds apace. Canary Wing is go.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Apr 11, 2023

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I gotta learn to disengage when I get impossible underground fauna instead of letting the sunk-cost get me. I just end up frustrated when I could've moved onto a somewhere nicer.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

On a related note, I can't find a rare underground animal to finish off a planet for the nanite bonus and it's loving killing me. I've tried the save/reload trick, I've tried putting down bait, nothing works for those fuckers.

EDIT: also, my plan to have an entire squadron of yellow exotic fighters proceeds apace. Canary Wing is go.

Wait, there are squadrons now? Is it like wingmen?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

BitBasher posted:

Yeah you unlock slots for them on the Fleet terminal in your Freighter. They cost nanites, the first one is 800 but they get more expensive. Then you can recruit ships/pilots from Space Stations or wherever else they've landed, it's one of the options when you interact with them.

You can then summon them in the same way you'd summon your Freighter, and I think they'll automatically come to your aid if you're attacked by pirates. Not sure if your Freighter needs to be in system at the time though.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Top tip: don’t be like me and choose only solar ships for your squadron because they look cool, because those sails are really good at absorbing all of your firepower meant for enemy ships.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Squadrons are pretty useless, only good for getting in the way during dogfights.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Yeah you unlock slots for them on the Fleet terminal in your Freighter. They cost nanites, the first one is 800 but they get more expensive. Then you can recruit ships/pilots from Space Stations or wherever else they've landed, it's one of the options when you interact with them.

You can then summon them in the same way you'd summon your Freighter, and I think they'll automatically come to your aid if you're attacked by pirates. Not sure if your Freighter needs to be in system at the time though.

Thanks! I haven't played in like a year, but I really have to get around to trying it on the PSVR2, I haven't even launched it yet. Been hung up playing GT7.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
Does anyone know of a site or post that has a general progression guide for new players? I'm only 4 hours in, have been following the quests along, but kinda want a bigger picture idea of what I'm doing, how to get my first freighter, etc.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

BitBasher posted:

Yeah, and they're great. I managed to assemble an absolute flying circus of incompetents and cowards. If I ever have to rely on my roaming band of clowns, I'm toast. :allears:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

marktheando posted:

Squadrons are pretty useless, only good for getting in the way during dogfights.

The finest of space sim traditions.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

At least the wing-entities in your squadron can't (or I think they can't) be permanently killed, so you don't need to feel bad about shooting them when they get in your way.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Does anyone know of a site or post that has a general progression guide for new players? I'm only 4 hours in, have been following the quests along, but kinda want a bigger picture idea of what I'm doing, how to get my first freighter, etc.
i don't, but following the Atlas/Artemis questlines is probably the easiest way - they'll introduce you to the different activities like exploration, base building, submarines that are never fast enough, and space poo poo. pinning any recipe you get will create a 'mini-quest' to collect that stuff so you don't forget.
freighter ownership will find you in due time (it's a timed event on warp) - a lot of people will suggest to reject the first one you get because it's capped a certain power level. similarly, the colony-management will find you when it's ready.

you can alternatively progress by attacking and successfully solving the puzzles :airquote: of manufacturing plants (which you can locate by trading Navigation Data on space stations for planetary charts of Secure Sites) - these will unlock the recipe for advanced materials (some of which you may be granted during the primary quests(?)). meanwhile, the Anomaly will eventually show up on its own and introduce you to its quests and unlock systems that'll let you get upgrade recipes for yourself and your ships.

every time you dock at a regular space station go up to the left-side where the customisation bays are and there'll be a glowing blue tube you can interact with to buy inventory space (you can switch between inventory/cargo/tech before buying) once per station. this is the fastest way to get a decent amount of carrying space as your other method will be finding crashed Drop Pods (use Drop Pod Co-ordinates in a Signal Booster construction) that will take a static amount of regular materials instead of cash for the same.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

marktheando posted:

They're good for distracting enemies and burning down their shields but I have a suspicion that friendly AI are actually unable to destroy hostiles, so the player gets the satisfaction of the kill.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

They're good for distracting enemies and burning down their shields but I have a suspicion that friendly AI are actually unable to destroy hostiles, so the player gets the satisfaction of the kill.

They can but honestly past a certain point they really do absorb more damage from you than they output, especially if you're using ship shotguns, especially if you're doing sentinel capships. I finally bit the bullet and dismissed mine, especially after the number of times I conflated their amber (:psyduck:) jet trail with actually-red enemy ones in chromatic aberration or just-plain-red lighting conditions.

I'm 90% sure someone at HG said "the only time you see your squadron is in combat so make sure they're visible from the cockpit at all times" and, well,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Black Griffon posted:

No flippance here but if you aren't opposed to using guides on how to ramp up your cash & nanites, there's a lot of 'git rich quick' plans out there that should be less agonizing to a person's nerves than the time it takes to gamble on popping an S-class ship. Plus, once you're rich, you're rich! Having a shitload of capital makes it easier to just make a shitload MORE capital when you need it that I can tell in NMS.

I completely respect a 'I've seen the guides and that's no way I want to play,' kind of response too. There's hardly a wrong way to do NMS if you are certain you're having fun the entire time.

Holy gently caress you're either the luckiest person I know, or the most patient. I've got all S-class pilots, but only one of em has an exotic. The rest of them are in jalopy looking tubs, which I feel is the perfect insult to all the elite-tier pirates they murder.

5er fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 12, 2023