Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Oasx posted:

Magneto is one of the best Marvel villains ever because he essentially is right about what he says, it’s just that his actions are horrific.

This is such a good way of putting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
All the "Killmonger was right" takes seem to ignore the part where he wanted to start World War 3.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Speaking as someone who loves Black Panther: the "Killmonger was right" takes aren't engaging with the character's misdeeds. This is intentional, because the people saying that are criticizing the movie as part of a broader trend of mealy-mouthed liberal reformist garbage that has the villains use left-wing ideas to be righteously defeated by the hero enforcing the status quo, who would agree with them if only they didn't love killing so much (set aside that loving murder has nothing to do with their political ideologies).

That said, I disagree with these takes in regards to BP, personally. Killmonger is different, to me, because the movie actually goes into the character's psychology, examines his goals, and ends in a mea culpa from the hero for the way Killmonger has been mistreated. My personal take is that Killmonger's plan isn't even supposed to be meaningfully leftist: he's citing collective racial trauma as a justification, but all his plan really entails is inverting victim and perpetrator by doing his own brand of imperialism to other nations as informed by his time in the CIA.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Killmonger also still smashed the status quo. T'Challa opened up Wakanda to the world, to the point that Black Panther 3 looks like it's going to be about the US and probably France invading.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Oasx posted:

Karli is a little bit better but her complaint is really about how much better things were when half the world population were dead, and so she becomes a murderer and terrorist.

Who is the funeral for?
Why did the person at the funeral die?
The story was told in a way that makes the viewer not remember or pay attention to the death and funeral of this person who is rather important to Karli while explicitly having it happen. Further it erases it with the narrative of the main story.

This is to say explicit and personal motivations for Karli’s anger are directly shown. It also I think is intentionally a mirror of the John Walker story line.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Oasx posted:

Magneto is one of the best Marvel villains ever because he essentially is right about what he says, it’s just that his actions are horrific.

Killmonger is 100% the bad guy, and even in the context of the movie his justifications were very slim.
Karli is a little bit better but her complaint is really about how much better things were when half the world population were dead, and so she becomes a murderer and terrorist.
In both cases these are bad people using poor excuses to perform bad actions.

Karli's complaint was that the people who stepped up and moved from their homes to help and get better lives in the First World nations got pushed out like trash into crappy prisons/camps when that half the population came back. Also, someone who was a mother to her died of neglect because of it. Most of the Flag-smashers' "terrorism" was them stealing food/medicine/etc and giving it to those who were being denied it through that same indifference/neglect.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Rappaport posted:

This is such a good way of putting it.
It is, but that's a very 90s way of doing a villain that has inexplicably stuck around since then. It was a correction away from All Villains Are Cartoon Morons, and a much-needed one, but in the face of everything that's happened in the nearly 30 years since that correction, it's time for villains to be villains again, and for the real "how even the gently caress" to take over. People inexplicably support monsters because their hatred keeps them warm. We all live there now. We can either use fiction to run from this, which would be fine, or to get some much-needed catharsis relating to it, which would be fine too.

But putting all the good motivation in the villain's hands, but making them murderous so the heroes can fight for a far worse status quo than said villain fights for is a poo poo take.

And I'm super done with "what if we empathized with a monster" as some kind of masterstroke of depth. It very much isn't anymore, if it ever even was.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

It is, but that's a very 90s way of doing a villain that has inexplicably stuck around since then. It was a correction away from All Villains Are Cartoon Morons, and a much-needed one, but in the face of everything that's happened in the nearly 30 years since that correction, it's time for villains to be villains again, and for the real "how even the gently caress" to take over. People inexplicably support monsters because their hatred keeps them warm. We all live there now. We can either use fiction to run from this, which would be fine, or to get some much-needed catharsis relating to it, which would be fine too.

But putting all the good motivation in the villain's hands, but making them murderous so the heroes can fight for a far worse status quo than said villain fights for is a poo poo take.

And I'm super done with "what if we empathized with a monster" as some kind of masterstroke of depth. It very much isn't anymore, if it ever even was.

This is a great summation of mostly where I'm at on this stuff. I don't think I'm particularly unique or unusual in that either.

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 27 days!)

Marvel's been doing the villain's understandable rationale since they were Timely. The Sub-Mariner's shtick has always been rear end in a top hat's Got a Point.

The MCU hasn't really come to grips with the status quo on their Earth being vastly different from ours. I don't think they'll do this, of course, but Namor's plan of Talokan and Wakanda against Everybody Else can come true, with Talokan and Wakanda as the good guys (short of a war of extermination against the rest of us) (maybe) and even be scripted to win (short of a war of extermination against the rest of us) (maybe).

Jai Guru Dave fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 9, 2023

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

LividLiquid posted:

I know I am very much a caricature of the bit by now, but in this line of thought, the MCU needs DOOM. Magneto was a Holocaust survivor, so that gives him some sympathy points for sure, but DOOM? Okay he wanted to save his mother from Hell at some point, but Victor's main life beats were blowing up his face with a science experiment gone wrong and him blaming Reed for it, and then being the dictator of a small nation. DOOM is mercurial, he travels in time just to beat up Reed some more, he's more of a villain than Yosemite Sam.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The MCU needs Doom cause I want to hear him go RICCHHHHAAARDDDSSSS :doom:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

LividLiquid posted:

Yeah I like my villains to have a bit of depth but sometimes it's just nice to cheer when Spider-Man sticks a motherfucker to a wall because they want to turn people into dinosaurs.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Infinitum posted:

The MCU needs Doom cause I want to see him get beaten by Squirrel Girl

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Infinitum posted:

The MCU needs Doom cause I want to see him submissively let Squirrel Girl get whatever she wants in Latveria

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Why not both?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I'm just saying, if I got superpowers, the world would be a better place for currently marginalized groups but uhhhhhhhhhh there might be some mass Graves.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The only time I really saw mainstream comic superheroes going for 'kill the rich' it was The Authority.

And they pretty much stopped after killing one dictator and made the point to come back a few issues later to say how pointless it all was because after they killed him they left.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

"Don't kill the super evil guy or else you'll be just as bad as him" is propaganda level bullshit to keep oligarch's heads from ending up on pikes.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Floppychop posted:

"Don't kill the super evil guy or else you'll be just as bad as him" is propaganda level bullshit to keep oligarch's heads from ending up on pikes.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The only time I really saw mainstream comic superheroes going for 'kill the rich' it was The Authority.

And they pretty much stopped after killing one dictator and made the point to come back a few issues later to say how pointless it all was because after they killed him they left.

They brought a bunch of refugees in their nation-wide spaceship, then they were defeated by a G7 powered redneck, and all the refugees died of starving because nobody cared about them being there, if I remember right.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Floppychop posted:

like i said

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Floppychop posted:

Batman is already worse than the Joker.

Soonmot posted:

I'm just saying, if I got superpowers, the world would be a better place for currently marginalized groups but uhhhhhhhhhh there might be some mass Graves.

grabbing every republican, putting them into a big net and throwing them into the sun.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

Batman is already worse than the Joker.

grabbing every republican, putting them into a big net and throwing them into the sun.

it's the only way to be sure

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

YggdrasilTM posted:

They brought a bunch of refugees in their nation-wide spaceship, then they were defeated by a G7 powered redneck, and all the refugees died of starving because nobody cared about them being there, if I remember right.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

But then, so did the Authority.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Soonmot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMHCw3RqulY

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

YggdrasilTM posted:

No, you're misremembering. The refugees were mostly killed when the Carrier crashed after Seth took out the Authority, then the G7-controlled replacements jettisoned the rest.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jedit posted:

No, you're misremembering. The refugees were mostly killed when the Carrier crashed after Seth took out the Authority, then the G7-controlled replacements jettisoned the rest.

That’s right.

I do remember Apollo and Midnighter walking a corridor with refugees in it, and Midnighter saying something about him starting to become a little bit racist.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Oasx posted:

Magneto's ideology is basically Nation of Islam Mutants.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Alhazred posted:

Magneto's ideology is basically Nation of Islam Mutants.

If Kevin Bacon shoots your mom in front of you to make a point, you're bound to get a little hosed up.

I don't think anyone's saying they agree with Magneto's political points, such as they are, but within the Marvel cosmos he is a somewhat relatable villain. He is obsessed with "his people", and I'm sure someone's written a master's thesis on how Magneto would fit into the dialogue between Jean Amery and Primo Levi. I still say he did a very dirty on Mystique when she got hit with the anti-mutant gun, but he's a villain and an rear end in a top hat and we're meant to see him as such, even if he has what passes for nuance in the Marvel world.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rappaport posted:

I still say he did a very dirty on Mystique when she got hit with the anti-mutant gun,

Hey man, we don't talk about The Last Stand

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rappaport posted:

I don't think anyone's saying they agree with Magneto's political points, such as they are

The one I quoted does.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So Nick Fury survives Secret Invasion then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuk77TjvfmE

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

The_Doctor posted:

ok i haven't been hyped for an MCU movie for a while but this got me

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

I hope the movie gets into why certain people in the MCU seem to have it out for Captain Marvel. Fury, Talos, and Monica come to mind.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Also interesting to see Mohan Kapur in there still, especially after the allegations.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

This seems to be set immediately after/during Ms Marvel which I am pretty sure was set before Secret Invasion so don't assume anything

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The_Doctor posted:

Also interesting to see Mohan Kapur in there still, especially after the allegations.

Filming would have been completed before the allegations ever came out

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ookiimarukochan posted:

This seems to be set immediately after/during Ms Marvel which I am pretty sure was set before Secret Invasion so don't assume anything

Also the release date was pushed back twice. It was originally meant to come out before Secret Invasion.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
The Marvels trailer detail spoiler

The big baddy looks to be wearing the other bangle!!!! Maybe Kamala will get to wear both and something crazy happens! :hype:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Can't believe I'm gonna have to sit through a whole Captain Marvel movie to get more Kamala...