Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
If we converted the interstates into high speed rail we could easily circumvent the freight/passenger problem. Vote for me, I hate traffic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Walked by a parked Wagoneer - regular, not Grand, and not lifted - and noticed it was several inches taller than me. Almost 76" total. loving Christ.

Oh and I spent a few days in a smaller rental SUV, some Volkswagen poo poo, going through the desert. Even though it wasn't that tall the suspension was soft as poo poo and I felt like it was constantly swaying.

Precambrian Video Games has issued a correction as of 04:42 on Apr 11, 2023

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

eXXon posted:

Walked by a parked Wagoneer - regular, not Grand, and not lifted - and noticed it was several inches taller than me. Almost 76" total. loving Christ.

Oh and I spent a few days in a smaller rental SUV, some Volkswagen poo poo, going through the desert. Even though it wasn't that all the suspension was soft as poo poo and I felt like it was constantly swaying.

cmon a 9 inch diff is hardly "several" territory

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

withak posted:

Amtrak food is mediocre at best

Amtrak food loving rules west of Chicago, it's all microwaved food east of chicago though

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

mawarannahr posted:

9 inches is pretty big

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

mawarannahr posted:

https://www.gq.com/story/leg-lengthening

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

fermun posted:

Amtrak food loving rules west of Chicago, it's all microwaved food east of chicago though

Regrettably I have not been able to do a national survey.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

withak posted:

Regrettably I have not been able to do a national survey.

coastal starlight bistro car is microwaved lunchables tier. cant speak to the actual dinner service, im not made of money!

edit: by far the best views of any US rail corridor though

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
This country could be so beautiful from train

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

This country could be so beautiful from train

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

psychic damage sustained

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

eXXon posted:

It really does bely a general lack of self restraint to buy an SUV so large it would have looked like a parody 10 years ago. The people buying these things are adult toddlers

https://twitter.com/timcourtney/status/1645110792428359681

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

BonHair posted:

Starting to think maybe capitalism is bad?

I call it CARpitalism!

eXXon posted:

Oh and I spent a few days in a smaller rental SUV, some Volkswagen poo poo, going through the desert. Even though it wasn't that tall the suspension was soft as poo poo and I felt like it was constantly swaying.

Dang American cars are bad. It's not just the height, like you can have a truck that tall without it being a huge safety problem by the simple expedient of having the bonnet slope. It doesn't even have any ground clearance, it may as well be a van. Is this just to look tough or is it to fit fatter people within?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Polo-Rican posted:

It really does bely a general lack of self restraint to buy an SUV so large it would have looked like a parody 10 years ago. The people buying these things are adult toddlers

I'm curious when the federal government steps in and starts regulating this poo poo as used to be done when things weren't so stupid.

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2017/12/07/while-other-countries-mandate-safer-car-designs-for-pedestrians-america-does-nothing/

We were looking at new regulations in 2015 and then whoops, some stuff happened.

Apr 7, 2003

Weka posted:

Is this just to look tough or is it to fit fatter people within?

Yes and yes

The Gen X numetal/Jersey Shore guys are in their fifties now and they're extremely upset that their dick doesn't work any longer

Apr 7, 2003

Jersey Shore was the last big cultural minute when the main lump of Gen X guys could say "we're still young, right?" These trucks are their tantrums now that they've realized that they aren't

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I'm curious when the federal government steps in and starts regulating this poo poo

never lol

Apr 7, 2003

They have to at some point, the manufacturers certainly won't regulate and we're on course for these things to not fit in a lane any longer within five years.

A Grand Wagoneer is longer and taller than a military spec Humvee and only about two inches less wide. There was a big to-do when the PA National Guard started using Humvees in the late 1980s that our roads couldn't support moving them around in-state

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

They have to at some point

rreeeeeaaaalllllyyyyyy???

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

NeatHeteroDude posted:

gladwell once proved that cops become autistic when they get escalated but more importantly that autistic people were incapable of reading or caring about emotions. he did so by having an autistic guy who was loving his mentor watch a black-and-white movie with eye-tracking headgear on. his discovery? the man would rather look at the lightswitch than the scene in a 4 hour movie where one guy was yelling at his wife.

woulda been funnier if you left it ambiguous imo

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I'm curious when the federal government steps in and starts regulating this poo poo as used to be done when things weren't so stupid.

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2017/12/07/while-other-countries-mandate-safer-car-designs-for-pedestrians-america-does-nothing/

We were looking at new regulations in 2015 and then whoops, some stuff happened.

I thought this was happening BECAUSE they tried to regulate fuel efficiency standards and inadvertently incentivized car manufacturers to build bigger and bigger.

Apr 7, 2003

McCracAttack posted:

I thought this was happening BECAUSE they tried to regulate fuel efficiency standards and inadvertently incentivized car manufacturers to build bigger and bigger.

The impetus to pushing everyone into driving light trucks was that the domestic automakers hosed up on guessing what the consumer would want to drive starting in the early 1970s and got their lunch eaten by foreign manufacturers, and moved into the light truck arena because of the massive chicken tax tariff on imported trucks.

People did not actually choose to drive trucks, they were told by ~45 years of advertising that they wanted a truck.

The bigger-and-badder trucks every year poo poo is just the usual capitalist oneupmanship, like every bread manufacturer making their bread sweeter than the competitors every year.

Apr 7, 2003

Read this if you can find a copy:
https://www.amazon.com/Clear-Day-You-General-Motors/dp/0960356207

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Pedestrians? Don't worry, we are trying to get rid of them.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Suburban parking spaces already seem like they're ballooning to fit these things. All DOT needs as rationale to increase street size statewide is a firefighter saying their oversized fire trucks can't fit on the streets. Then you can make the trucks even bigger.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Suburban parking spaces already seem like they're ballooning to fit these things. All DOT needs as rationale to increase street size statewide is a firefighter saying their oversized fire trucks can't fit on the streets. Then you can make the trucks even bigger.

Yeah I've parked* in spots lately that are literally twice the size of my car* in every dimension.

*I'm aware of my suburban crimes

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

McCracAttack posted:

That's part of it, but only because the light trucks and SUVs are exempted from the standards. You fold them into CAFE and the problem is solved.

Apr 7, 2003

Through the end of the 1960s, the Big Three didn't bother with small cars because they figured that buyers would always climb the brand ladder into bigger and more prestigious cars as they climbed the economic ladder. There was no point in making a nice small car because you wanted your Chevrolet buyer to move up to a Buick or an Oldsmobile instead.

Then whoops, the oil embargo happened and people started deliberately buying smaller cars and the Big Three were decades behind Volkswagen, Toyota, Honda, BMW, etc on that front, so they got fuckin' rolled real bad.

They tried moving into smaller cars, ended up making absolute garbage like the Chevrolet Citation that were through-and-through embarassments, and said gently caress It and moved into the light truck space instead due to the massive tariff disadvantage that foreign made trucks faced.

The American advertising machine is the most effective form of propaganda ever known and it took decades of work for that machine to convince people to move into trucks even though most would be better served by a large sedan or station wagon. Over the past 12-15 years the same machine has made driving a giant truck such an integral part of buyers' personalities that they will never abandon their giant trucks for any reason, even if it bankrupts them. In 2008 people moved in to Priuses and Corollas to escape high gas prices; this time around they just screamed bloody murder until Joe Biden opened up the SPR.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud has issued a correction as of 15:10 on Apr 11, 2023

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

One might hope that the lack of funding for public infrastructure, even roads, and the huge cars might cause the road system to deteriorate so far that it no longer supports cars.

But somehow I think USA will either find the money or somehow make a private solution that is even worse.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Through the end of the 1960s, the Big Three didn't bother with small cars because they figured that buyers would always climb the brand ladder into bigger and more prestigious cars as they climbed the economic ladder. There was no point in making a nice small car because you wanted your Chevrolet buyer to move up to a Buick or an Oldsmobile instead.

Then whoops, the oil embargo happened and people started deliberately buying smaller cars and the Big Three were decades behind Volkswagen, Toyota, Honda, BMW, etc on that front, so they got fuckin' rolled real bad.

They tried moving into smaller cars, ended up making absolute garbage like the Chevrolet Citation that were through-and-through embarassments, and said gently caress It and moved into the light truck space instead due to the massive tariff disadvantage that foreign made trucks faced.

The American advertising machine is the most effective form of propaganda ever known and it took decades of work for that machine to convince people to move into trucks even though most would be better served by a large sedan or station wagon. Over the past 12-15 years the same machine has made driving a giant truck such an integral part of buyers' personalities that they will never abandon their giant trucks for any reason, even if it bankrupts them. In 2008 people moved in to Priuses and Corollas to escape high gas prices; this time around they just screamed bloody murder until Joe Biden opened up the SPR.

Your manhood and cultural identity will permanently be lost if you don’t buy a truck.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Ardennes posted:

Your manhood and cultural identity will permanently be lost if you don’t buy a truck.

This explains why CSPAM posters hate cars

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

BonHair posted:

One might hope that the lack of funding for public infrastructure, even roads, and the huge cars might cause the road system to deteriorate so far that it no longer supports cars.

But somehow I think USA will either find the money or somehow make a private solution that is even worse.

the solution will be bigger trucks that can handle the deteriorated roads

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Polo-Rican posted:

my street has an ancient “no trucks over 2 1/2 tons” sign on it, which is just lol. there was a rivian monstrosity parked here the other day too.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

gas prices are already $4.50 again by me and im really dreading summer pricing

one of the funniest truck things is that in almost every area of chicago, it's illegal to park a truck overnight on the street. truck being defined as actual work truck, B class, hauling poo poo around. i.e. an unsightly truck. it's completely legal to park 'passenger' trucks that are twice the size and weight and are shiny and never dirty

in like 2005? or 07 or something I got my dad's work truck ('99 ranger) towed because I parked it overnight in a moderately well to do area i was renting in, it was covered in mud straight from his farm, and someone instantly reported it as abandoned. i'd given my sister a ride that evening so i knew when i'd dropped it there. thank god he got the notice in time before it got sold off

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 17:03 on Apr 11, 2023

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The Rivian gets something like 25 mpg in terms of energy usage, and that isn’t even factoring in batteries.

mastershakeman posted:

gas prices are already $4.50 again by me and im really dreading summer pricing

one of the funniest truck things is that in almost every area of chicago, it's illegal to park a truck overnight on the street. truck being defined as actual work truck, B class, hauling poo poo around. i.e. an unsightly truck. it's completely legal to park 'passenger' trucks that are twice the size and weight and are shiny and never dirty

in like 2005? or 07 or something I got my dad's work truck towed because I parked it overnight in a moderately well to do area i was renting in, it was covered in mud straight from his farm, and someone instantly reported it as abandoned. i'd given my sister a ride that evening so i knew when i'd dropped it there. thank god he got the notice in time before it got sold off

Blame peace in the Middle East

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

I'm curious when the federal government steps in and starts regulating this poo poo

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Lol thats an EV and like half the size of the original, doesn't really make your point

Apr 7, 2003

Terminal autist posted:

Lol thats an EV and like half the size of the original, doesn't really make your point

It is 27" longer than the Hummer H2, 6" wider, and weighs 2,660 lbs more.

It also does 0-60 in 3 seconds flat, at least until all the pedestrians caught under the front end jam the works up.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

It is 27" longer than the Hummer H2, 6" wider, and weighs 2,660 lbs more.

It also does 0-60 in 3 seconds flat, at least until all the pedestrians caught under the front end jam the works up.

I said the original and everything your listing off is a selling point lol. Oh no my big rear end car is fast as gently caress, what a tragedy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

The Hummer EV is 37" longer, 2" wider, and 7" higher than the old military spec Humvee sold by AM General on the civilian market (the one Schwartzenegger was notorious for driving). It weighs 3,163 lbs more than that vehicle.